Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #41
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I still get mad over Mike's "belly aching". He was just begging them to give it to someone else, and he knows it.

I adore Armstrong by the way.

Carp: on my other message board, we aren't allowed to submits posts w/the word "crap", so I use this variation... I even say "carp" in real life now. Oh, silly me. *blush*
Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

That's the carpiest message board I've ever heard of
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #43
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
That's the carpiest message board I've ever heard of
Bah-dum-bum

Goodnight Everybody!

(also smiles.... on this board we will soon be implementing technology that will DETECT these phrases designed to get around the filter bypass system... so here instead of "carp" I suggest using something different like, perhaps.... "trout" or "catfish")
Old 06-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #44
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! Hooray! Nice cheap, one-year deal too. I think you have to have a guy like this, he always finds a way to contribute & be useful. Plus, it gives us another year to come up with a catchy nickname for the Lundqvist-Halpern-Barnes checking line.

I've changed my mind, I think this is the only must-sign out of our UFA group. I just don't think we can get Syd cheap enough.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #45
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

One year deal for Stu makes me nervous.

I'm really glad they signed him bc he's a stud, but I'd feel better about two years.

This reinforces that next year is the "make it or break it year."

They are so going to blow the whole thing up next year if it goes ho-hum and crappy playoffs.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-07-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So....I guess phoenix has our first round pick this year. Wow I can't even look forward to the draft. What a looooong summer this is already. We're just getting started.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-14-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #47
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

The latter half of the 1st round this year is supposed to suck anyway. They still have some other picks and their record has been improving recently on turning those into something.
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #48
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Reports are that Hully is done at NBC...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rts/columnists
He's going to take an increased role on the operations side of the Stars front office. It's a shame he never got anywhere near his potential on the broadcast. You know, I always enjoyed it when he'd fill in for Razor doing color on radio. I imagine he got contrained by NBC a little & he probably tried too hard.

Anyway, hopefully this isn't the last we hear from Hully on the broadcast side. Even at his worst, he's still a different voice & that's something hockey needs.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

8 Years ago yesterday

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-21-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #50
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

From Razors Blog:

http://blog.dallasstars.com/
Quote:
The NHL is congregating in Columbus this weekend for the annual entry draft and they have already done some rule book editing.

TSN is reporting the following changes:

A player may now be awarded a free shot if he is fouled on a clear breakaway anywhere in the neutral or attacking zones. Previously, a penalty shot was awarded only when a player on a clear breakaway was fouled on the attacking side of the centre line. (Now just get the referees to award them more. The NHL could use more penalty shots, BOC needed more cowbell.)

All faceoffs must now be conducted at one of the nine dots painted on the rink. Some faceoffs, such as when a puck left the playing surface, were previously held on unmarked ice parallel to the dot nearest the place where the puck left the playing surface. (Smart change. The best changes are always the ones that simplify things)

The interference rule was altered so referees can at their discretion assess a major penalty and a game misconduct when an injury results from an act of interference. Previously, only a minor penalty could be assessed for interference. (This one's a little puzzling. If you "interfere" with someone enough to cause an injury wouldn't this either be self inflicted, "keep your head up", or fall under "attempt to injure", "boarding" or "charging"?)

The term "gross misconduct" was eliminated from the rule book. A game misconduct will now be assessed, and accumulated game misconduct penalties can lead to fines or suspensions. (So what is a gross misconduct? Is it, any misconduct that turns your stomach? Reruns of Fear Factor? ...well it doesn't matter anymore cause in the NHL "Gross" is gone.)

Zzzzz.....

The penalty shot rule is mildly amusing. But how many times do you see a guy on a clear break away on his side of the ice only go for a tripping call and you think "oh man! penalty shot!"
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #51
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

he may have had his the shadow of his blade in the crease
Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #52
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

DALLAS STARS MAKE QUALIFYING OFFERS TO SEVEN PLAYERS

FRISCO, Tex. - Dallas Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today that the club has made qualifying offers to the following players: right wing Marius Holtet, left wing Jussi Jokinen, defenseman Vadim Khomitski, right wing Junior Lessard, center Joel Lundqvist, right wing Antti Miettinen and center Mike Ribeiro. Center Yared Hagos was not extended a qualifying offer.

Teams are required to extend a one-year “qualifying offer” to any current restricted free agent by June 25 in order to receive the right of first refusal or draft choice compensation should that respective player sign an offer sheet with another NHL club. The qualifying offers will expire at 4 p.m. (Central Time) on Sunday, July 15.

Qualifying offers fall into three categories:

1) A player whose prior year salary was equal or less than $660,000 must receive a qualifying offer of 110% of their prior year’s salary.
2)  A player whose prior year salary was more than $660,000 and up to $1 million must receive a qualifying offer of 105% of their prior year’s salary (but in no event shall such qualifying offer exceed $1 million).
3)  A player whose prior year salary was more than $1 million must receive a qualifying offer at 100% of their prior year’s salary.

If a team does not give a qualifying offer to a restricted free agent, he is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, and can sign with any team with no compensation required to the player’s former club.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #53
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Thanks Smiles.

They made a qualifying offer to Miettinen? That's the proverbial white flag of the off the season if I've heard seen one.

I don't see how they're going to get any better if they don't find some guys who can pu tthe puck in the net.

I hope to God in Heaven that Ribeiro re-signs. He's awesome.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #54
ames7
Diamond Member

If I was Antii Miettinen, I couldn't accept that qualifier fast enough. I am annoyed. I don't get it. Why bother? Seems like the perfect time to cut ties. Lots of young guys about ready to go. Glad to see them qualify Junior Lessard...he's one of the guys I want to get a shot at Miett's spot.

I wonder if Ribs will accept outright. Haven't heard anything about talking multi-year with him yet. I hope they can get him to wait another year.

Minorly surprised at no offer for Hagos. I thought they liked him. Did he have a crappy season in Iowa?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #55
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I didn't hear much about Hagos at all last year. I guess so.

I agree on Lessard. He needs to get some minutes so they can really see what they've got.

Miettinen is about to become my new whipping boy for next season

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-26-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #56
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Here's the Stars preseason schedule that they released this morning:

Tuesday, Sept. 18: vs. St. Louis, 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 19: at Tampa Bay, 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 20: vs. Colorado, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 22: at Phoenix, 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 25: at Colorado Avalanche, 8 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 27: vs. Phoenix, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 29: vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.

* (All times are central times)

The NHL regular season schedule will be released sometime in mid-July.

Sweeeet
Old 06-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #57
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Miettinen (and his low salary) still has trade value as a throw-in to a larger deal. Wouldn't make sense to let him walk for nothing.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #58
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Stars not in free-agency rush

09:37 PM CDT on Friday, June 29, 2007
By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News
mheika@dallasnews.com

Doug Armstrong worked the phones furiously before and during last weekend's NHL draft. When the Stars general manager was done, he made very few changes to the team or its order of selection.

The lesson learned going into the NHL's annual free-agency season is Armstrong will pursue every angle he can to try to improve the team but might not be able to swing a deal.

"We've mapped out several ideas and plans, and we're going to try to pursue them," Armstrong said as he readied himself for the start of free agency on Sunday. "But, just like with the draft, there has to be a fit and there has to be a long-term benefit to the organization. I don't want to go out and do something just to say I did something."

Armstrong said the Stars are more in need of tweaks than an overhaul. Last summer, they bid adieu to Bill Guerin and Jason Arnott and acquired center Jeff Halpern. But the re-signing of Brenden Morrow to a six-year contract probably had the biggest impact on the team's free-agency plans for this summer and next.

This year, they will shed role players such as Eric Lindros, Patrik Stefan, Matthew Barnaby and maybe Darryl Sydor to make room for at least two younger players in Joel Lundqvist and Niklas Grossman.

The Stars' salary structure will allow for only one more contract similar to Morrow's. Marquee free agents like forwards Chris Drury, Ryan Smyth and Daniel Briere are going to command contracts lasting six or seven years. That could also be the case with potential high-profile free agents Joe Thornton in 2008 and Vincent Lecavalier in 2009.

"I can't comment on other teams' players, and I think making plans on anyone becoming a free agent is a little dangerous," Armstrong said. "But the bottom line is you have to be sure the player you sign for six or seven years is the right player. That's a tremendous commitment, especially in the era of the salary cap."

LOUIS DeLUCA / DMN
The Stars will shed role players such as Eric Lindros to make room for younger players. Would Drury complement Mike Modano for the long term? Is Smyth the physical goal-scorer who can push the Stars over the top in the playoffs? Armstrong has the ability to make those decisions, but he will be pushing himself hard against the salary cap.

The Stars have about $39 million committed to 16 players with a maximum roster of 23 and must negotiate contracts with about six restricted free agents, including center Mike Ribeiro (who could get a raise from $1.9 million to as much as $3 million per season).

The salary cap will be $50.3 million next season, as announced by the NHL on Friday. That would leave Dallas about $6 million in space. NHL rules allow a team to exceed the cap by 10 percent with a free-agent signing if the team gets below it before the season starts.

The new cap number must be viewed with caution. The NHL Players Association used a special clause to raise the cap by five percent for next season. They can continue to use that clause as long as NHL revenues are above $2.1 billion. But after experimenting this season, the players could opt not to use the clause in the future because it could increase the amount of escrow that they might owe the league at the end of the season.

The fear of the cap going down is one reason the Stars could target less expensive free agents who will accept shorter-term deals. Jason Blake is 34 and could get a four-year contract in the range of $3.5 million to $4 million. Slava Kozlov is 35 and might accept a deal even cheaper for as little as two to three years. Kozlov scored 28 goals among 80 points last season, while Blake scored 40 goals for the first time. Dallas also could target Paul Kariya, the slick left winger and one-time 50-goal scorer who is not expected to re-sign with Nashville.

Armstrong admitted deals signed on the first day of free agency usually aren't the best bargains, so he said he might just wait. There could be less expensive options down the road, or the Stars could look at a trade to boost their scoring.

"I think we have a good team right now that just needs a few tweaks," he said. "We obviously want to make the right move if it's out there, but being patient, I don't think, would be a bad thing."
Ugh.

And yet, my season ticket holder status will not change. I'm addicted, and now they're going to sell me bad weed.

Awesome

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-30-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #59
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite Star will continue to be my favorite Star for a bit longer...... (I wonder if they lured him in to sign with a free case of Marlboro's?)

Stars Sign Zubov To Extension

On the first day of free agency in the National Hockey League, the Dallas Stars secured one of their cornerstone players for one more season, as General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today that the club has signed defenseman Sergei Zubov to a one-year contract extension worth $5.35 million. Zubov's contract was set to expire at the end of the coming season, however this extension will keep him in a Stars' sweater through the completion of the 2008-09 campaign.

"Sergei is an elite NHL player and we are very pleased he is under contract with us over the next two seasons," said Armstrong. "He is a valuable piece to our hockey club and has been consistently one of the best in the NHL at his position.

"He brings a consistency to our club that we really value and we are excited to have players like Sergei who enjoy playing for the Stars organization and in front of the fans here in Dallas. It's important to keep that continuity and I really do believe you are better off keeping the players you know and trust, and he is certainly one of them."

Since the start of the 1993-94 season, Zubov ranks second among all NHL defensemen in points with 700 (trailing only Nicklas Lidstrom, 767) and is the only active defenseman to have posted 40-plus points and 30-plus assists for 11 consecutive seasons.

Zubov, 37, has played in 783 games for Dallas over the course of 10 seasons and ranks first among defensemen in franchise history in goals (107), assists (403) and points (510). Among all players in franchise history, Zubov ranks third in assists, fourth in games played (783) and seventh in points.

"This is the place that my family and I love and I want to finish my career here," said Zubov. "My heart is in Dallas and I'm not interested in looking anywhere else, that's for sure. I'd like to thank Doug (Armstrong) and Mr. (Thomas O.) Hicks for giving me the opportunity to play here in Dallas and I am very pleased with this extension."

Zubov is confident that the Stars will be a solid contender in the difficult Pacific Division and the Western Conference next season.

"I look forward to a successful season for the Dallas Stars in 2007-08," said Zubov. "I believe we have great chemistry on our team and it was really nice to see Marty (Turco) play to his abilities in the playoffs. We have a good, strong lineup and a couple more pieces would go a long way. Our main goal during the regular season will be to win the division, even though the Pacific is going to be even tougher next season. We want to remain a winning team and show people we can contend for the Stanley Cup."

The Moscow native holds numerous franchise records for defensemen in the playoffs, including most career assists (52) and points (66), as well as the most goals (4), assists (6) and points (10) for a blue-liner in a single playoff series, all set vs. Edmonton in 2003. Among all playoff performers in franchise history, he ranks second in assists, fourth in games played (103) and sixth in points.

During the 2006-07 season, Zubov posted 12 goals and 42 assists for 54 points in 78 appearances, ranking first on the club in average ice time (25:56), second in assists and third in points. Appearing in his 1,000th career NHL game on Mar. 15 vs. Calgary, he became the ninth European-born defensemen to reach the milestone. He also became the third European defensemen (also Lidstrom and Salming) and the first Russian d-man to record 700 career NHL points on Dec. 16 at Los Angeles.

Zubov's most prolific NHL season came in 1994, when he notched 11 goals and a career-high 77 assists for 89 points as he helped lead the New York Rangers to the Stanley Cup. During the 1999 playoffs, he led all Stars defensemen in scoring with 13 points (1-12-13) and collected a game-high 54:09 minutes of ice time in Dallas' triple-overtime, Stanley Cup Finals-clinching victory in Game Six at Buffalo.

Originally selected by the Rangers in the fifth round (85th overall) in the 1990 Entry Draft, Zubov was acquired by Dallas from Pittsburgh in exchange for Kevin Hatcher on June 22, 1996. Prior to gaining American citizenship, he represented Russia at the 1996 World Cup and played for the Confederation of Independent States (C.I.S.) team that won the gold medal at the 1992 Winter Olympics. Zubov also starred for Russia at two World Junior Championships, winning gold in 1989 and silver in 1990.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #60
Smiles
Diamond Member

ames7: Hully will probably enjoy the Ops side of things a lot more. Broadcasting can be a demanding gig. They make you show up at meetings on non-game days, and they tell you where to go and when -it's such a hassle.

U2: I missed the post indicating that the board will be filtering our obscenities soon. I like the idea of using "trout" when I'm peeved. Actually, I really should find a better way to express my hidden rage when it comes to sports. Where'd you get the quote in your sig? "LOL YOU ARE SO PWNED" has been cracking me up for days.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #61
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
U2: I missed the post indicating that the board will be filtering our obscenities soon. I like the idea of using "trout" when I'm peeved. Actually, I really should find a better way to express my hidden rage when it comes to sports. Where'd you get the quote in your sig? "LOL YOU ARE SO PWNED" has been cracking me up for days.
Yeah, that was a failed joke. So failed.

As to the quote, read the entire Season 3 recap here!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #62
Smiles
Diamond Member

Default trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Yeah, that was a failed joke. So failed.

As to the quote, read the entire Season 3 recap here!
Oh, so we are't going to *bleep* obscenities? Phew!

Trying to think of something on topic to say. Uhm, really slow with the off-season and everything.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #63
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Everyone is making big scores.... Blues, Rangers, Avs, Flyers....

Stars are doing nothing.

Thanks Army.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #64
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

sydor to the pens. we offered 1 at 1.8 and they gave him 2 at 5? we couldn't get that done?

disappointing.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.374512f.html
Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #65
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I dont care about Sydor. He was overpriced and Trevor Daley will do that job.

We need scoring.

And youth.

Youth that scores.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #66
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I love the stars but son of a bitch!!! Every other team in hockey makes all sorts of moves to get better and we don't do a damn thing. It is just the same old bull shit every year, " we think we just need to tweak a few things" Yeah try tweaking a few fucking goals next year. Oh yeah and fuck you tom hicks you cheap piece of shit!!!!!!

Ok I am better now, just need to get that out sometimes. Hey how about that zubov extension. Good times man, good times. P.S. miettinen sucks donkey balls
Old 07-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #67
ames7
Diamond Member

Slava Kozlov visited today. It's sad that we now have to openly root for them to sign a 35 year old, but he is a point-a-game guy, so they really need to get this done. Also since we apparently aren't going to do anything else. Depressing.

Bob & Dan are right...this smells suspiciously like the Rangers' recent spending habits. It suuuuuucks. And look, I know the market is unreasonable right now, there's some serious crazy money contracts flying around. If we were throwing those deals around, I wouldn't necessarily think it's smart. But that's what it takes to sign the guys you need to win & that used to be all that mattered. I think they're right in saying the team they have now is good, but I think that's all they are. They're good. They're not getting better.

I don't know if Hicks really did put a spending limit on Army, but if Army wants to get better, that's not an excuse. If you don't have the money to get it done in free agency, get on the phone & see what you can trade. I also don't want to hear about how we don't have any movable parts. That's your job. Get it done.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #68
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

kozlov signed with atlanta today so thats out the window maybe we could just try and find another matthew barnaby or eric lindros sitting around out there and that would be the tweak we need to put us over the top. Oh wait we tryed that last year and it failed. I really hate tom hicks he is the worst owner in pro sports, because he masquerades behind the lie of " we are looking to improve/contend" while there may be worse franchises at least their owners are honest about the fact they aren't trying to contend. Fuck you tom you stupid cocksucker
Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #69
ames7
Diamond Member

Kozlov's gone & just like that, we're going to do nothing of any interest in FA. Worst. Offseason. Ever.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #70
ilMavvento

All the top tier free agents would have put the Stars over the cap, especially in the event that Ribeiro and Jokinen get large arbitration awards. All the irrational Hicks bashing in the world won't change the numbers. The remaining Lindroses and such of the world that are still out there won't help the team any more than promoting a rookie would- hopefully that's been learned from last year.

The offseason is far from over. The trade market heats up at draft time and then returns to a slow burn after the FA market is set. Many of the Stars' trade assets just became that much more valuable due to their affordable contracts. It would have been nice to sign Kozlov, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I wonder who the new GM will be next season
Old 07-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #72
wesbrynt

I would not bash tom hicks if his teams did not do the same mediocre shit every year. Plus why would jokinen deserve much through arbitration last time I checked he was a one year shootout wonder who does little else well. Say what you want about the offseason not being over but I would be willing to bet that we will make no signifigant moves to better this team before the season starts. I will still cheer the stars on like no other but I am fed up and frusterated with the lack of competitiveness in the tom hicks owned teams. P.S. there was a good article about tom and the stars in the Star Telegram today.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #73
ilMavvento

It turns out Jokinen isn't going to arbitration after all. But I would say being the 2nd highest scoring forward on the team who played a full season qualifies as more than a shootout wonder.

Last edited by ilMavvento; 07-09-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #74
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

source?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #75
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
source?
I assume this is what that post was based on...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #76
wesbrynt

um jokinens stats were nothing to write home about. no one on our team scored. And he consistantly failed under pressure and I don't remember him hardly being on the ice the last few playoff games. So obiously he wasn't doing to much was he.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #77
ilMavvento

Dude, he was injured badly in Game 4. He was out the rest of the series.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #78
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Schedule is out:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...eason=20072008

October 3rd at the hated Avalance....same as last year? wtf?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-11-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #79
wesbrynt

flacolaco, what do you think about the fedourk signing? I am confused about why we would sign another barnaby type player who can't put the puck in the net. Don't we already have ott and barch to punch the other team in to submission? does this mean one of them is on the way out? I just don't understand management. I really envy the ducks as much as I hate to say it, seems like they built that team through the farm system and very smart trades. Would really love to see dallas to something like that
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #80
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
flacolaco, what do you think about the fedourk signing? I am confused about why we would sign another barnaby type player who can't put the puck in the net. Don't we already have ott and barch to punch the other team in to submission? does this mean one of them is on the way out? I just don't understand management. I really envy the ducks as much as I hate to say it, seems like they built that team through the farm system and very smart trades. Would really love to see dallas to something like that
I feel the exact same way that you do. Confused, and irritated. I know they say they'll make a trade, but one or two moves isn't going to dramatically improve the offense of this team.

I don't know what they need to do, but I fear that the change needed will not take place until after this season, and it will waste Mo and Zubies final years.

Our farm system is dry, and our picks all traded. I'm not a very happy season ticket holder right now.

(I[m still excited that the schedule came out)