Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #41
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

If Hillary is the nominee, Obama will support her. If Obama wins the nominee, Hillary will support him. It is not broken ranks in the Democratic party like it is in the gop party. The best thing the Republicans can hope for is that this goes on and on where Obama and Hillary bash it out. Then the gop party unite and bring conservatives in. I do not see this happening with John Libberman McCain.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #42
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody remember Harold Washington?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #43
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Clinton will have to win by a landslide in Pennsylvania, Texas and Ohio to really take the lead. It's possible but unlikely. If Obama wins one of those states, it's pretty much over.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
MFFLinFL

MFFLinFL is on a distinguished road

here are many things that Obama and Clinton have in common, and a few where they differ (in my opinion, mostly in the categories of diplomacy, rhetorical skill, and personal appeal). However, if we must stretch so far for differences that we paint Senator Clinton as an emotional (read manipulative) campaigner, let's just have a look at her voting record and look at Senator Obama's as well:

"Senator Clinton, who has served only one full term (6yrs.), and another year campaigning, has managed to author and pass into law, (20) twenty pieces of legislation in her first six years.

These bills can be found on the website of the Library of Congress (www.thomas.loc.gov), but to save you trouble, I’ll post them here for you.

1. Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site.
2. Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month.
3. Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Hon
4. Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall.
5. Name courthouse after James L. Watson.
6. Name post office after Jonn A. O’Shea.
7. Designate Aug. 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
8. Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
9. Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death.
10. Congratulate the Syracuse Univ. Orange Men’s Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
11. Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men’s Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
12. Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program.
13. Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda.
14. Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death.
15. Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty.
Only five of Clinton’s bills are more substantive:

16. Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11.
17. Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
18. Assist landmine victims in other countries.
19. Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care.
20. Designate part of the National Forest System in Puerto Rico as protected in the wilderness preservation system.

There you have it–the facts straight from the Senate Record.

Now, I would post those of Obama’s, but the list is too substantive, so I’ll mainly categorize.

During the first (8) eight years of his elected service he sponsored over 820 bills. He introduced:

233 regarding healthcare reform,
125 on poverty and public assistance,
112 crime fighting bills,
97 economic bills,
60 human rights and anti-discrimination bills,
21 ethics reform bills,
15 gun control,
6 veterans affairs and many others.

His first year in the U.S. Senate, he authored 152 bills and co-sponsored another 427. These inculded:

**the Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 (became law),
**The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act, (became law),
**The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, passed the Senate,
MFFLinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 AM   #45
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It was over two weeks ago, and it's still over now. Obama is running a flat flawless campaign, and there is no reason to believe that it will stop. McCain is fodder. Obama might win by twenty in the general, if nothing out of the ordinary happens.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
It was over two weeks ago, and it's still over now. Obama is running a flat flawless campaign, and there is no reason to believe that it will stop. McCain is fodder. Obama might win by twenty in the general, if nothing out of the ordinary happens.
Captured for posterity.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Captured for posterity.
I take it you believe that McCain will come closer than twenty, if not win outright. Correct? That's cool. If so, what do you base it on?

I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where McCain even makes a dent in the Obama groundswell.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #48
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

The Hillary campaign will pull out a she was wronged by a man stunt just before voting day, and try to boost her percentage win over Obama in Texas and Ohio. This time hopefully the public will catch on to these tired tricks.

I feel people will vote for a 46 year old man before the vote for a 71 year old geezer.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #49
chumdawg
Guru

I used to think that Hillary had all kinds of ammunition behind her, and would not die easily...but I don't have that notion anymore. Hillary is empty and done. All this talk of her playing dirty is just talk. It's way too late for that now. She has been summarily dismissed, and even she knows it.

As for the general, I'm with you, Fish. McCain doesn't stand a chance.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #50
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFLinFL
here are many things that Obama and Clinton have in common, and a few where they differ (in my opinion, mostly in the categories of diplomacy, rhetorical skill, and personal appeal). However, if we must stretch so far for differences that we paint Senator Clinton as an emotional (read manipulative) campaigner, let's just have a look at her voting record and look at Senator Obama's as well:

"Senator Clinton, who has served only one full term (6yrs.), and another year campaigning, has managed to author and pass into law, (20) twenty pieces of legislation in her first six years.

These bills can be found on the website of the Library of Congress (www.thomas.loc.gov), but to save you trouble, I’ll post them here for you.

1. Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site.
2. Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month.
3. Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Hon
4. Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall.
5. Name courthouse after James L. Watson.
6. Name post office after Jonn A. O’Shea.
7. Designate Aug. 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
8. Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
9. Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death.
10. Congratulate the Syracuse Univ. Orange Men’s Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
11. Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men’s Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
12. Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program.
13. Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda.
14. Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death.
15. Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty.
Only five of Clinton’s bills are more substantive:

16. Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11.
17. Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
18. Assist landmine victims in other countries.
19. Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care.
20. Designate part of the National Forest System in Puerto Rico as protected in the wilderness preservation system.

There you have it–the facts straight from the Senate Record.

Now, I would post those of Obama’s, but the list is too substantive, so I’ll mainly categorize.

During the first (8) eight years of his elected service he sponsored over 820 bills. He introduced:

233 regarding healthcare reform,
125 on poverty and public assistance,
112 crime fighting bills,
97 economic bills,
60 human rights and anti-discrimination bills,
21 ethics reform bills,
15 gun control,
6 veterans affairs and many others.

His first year in the U.S. Senate, he authored 152 bills and co-sponsored another 427. These inculded:

**the Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 (became law),
**The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act, (became law),
**The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, passed the Senate,
where does this come from?
http://thomas.loc.gov/beta/memberres...rack&submit=GO
http://thomas.loc.gov/beta/memberres...dham&submit=GO

tells me that its 189 authored or sponsored for clinton, 159 for obama (thats from jan 2005 so its fair to both)). What source is that text taken from? It's rare to see such pure propaganda made so poorly. comparing authored bills that pass into law with sponsored and cosponsored ones that didnt necessarily pass into law? seriously - who falls for such stupid statistics and more importantly who tries to sell them to their audience?

I also believe that it is over, less because obama did great but more because hillary has to much negative baggage. Its hard to find negative things to say about obama - mostly because he hasnt been as exposed to the spotlight I suppose. If you have 30-40% of the general population not liking you before the campaign it's hard to gain any voters since those 30-40% are not gonna switch. The thing you hope for is that they wont go to the primaries but with all the publicity this "race" has created because of the dissatisfaction regarding Bush and the high profile of clinton that kind of went out the window.
Personally I think Hillary would have been a better president, simply because she has a more in-depth knowledge of a lot of the issues but I can live with both democratic candidates as long as they win and i suppose seeing as obama is clearly the better campaigner of the two he probably has a better chance.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I take it you believe that McCain will come closer than twenty, if not win outright. Correct? That's cool. If so, what do you base it on?

I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where McCain even makes a dent in the Obama groundswell.
Yes...a few things.

I don't think Obama liberalism has been examined yet. He's running in the dem primary against another liberal. A pretty unlikeable one at that. She can't attack his liberalism either as she's trying to win the same group.

I think the tact of showing how little experience he has will be telling as well as his what I consider half-thought out positions. He won't be able to run on iraq hatred like the dems did last election.

Moderates will not line up for him, they aren't really lining up for him now. So he gets the african american vote, the lefty vote.

I was still more afraid of clinton as I thought she would get so much of the female voter, I don't think obama will energize that group nearly as much.

Just my thoughts, he looks more beatable in a general election than clinton does to me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #52
dude1394
Guru

I must admit that thinking about this for four years makes me very sick. Nurse Crachett in the white House....If she was to give bubba a lobotomy I might risk it.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #53
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Yes...a few things.

I don't think Obama liberalism has been examined yet. He's running in the dem primary against another liberal. A pretty unlikeable one at that. She can't attack his liberalism either as she's trying to win the same group.

I think the tact of showing how little experience he has will be telling as well as his what I consider half-thought out positions. He won't be able to run on iraq hatred like the dems did last election.

Moderates will not line up for him, they aren't really lining up for him now. So he gets the african american vote, the lefty vote.

I was still more afraid of clinton as I thought she would get so much of the female voter, I don't think obama will energize that group nearly as much.

Just my thoughts, he looks more beatable in a general election than clinton does to me.
When you say that, you are thinking in ideological terms. But what happens when you think in practical terms? Think about the electoral college. The dems already own New York and California. Ohio and Florida are swing states. Ohio really *wants* to vote Democrat. Florida is an interesting mix. If you simply send both those states to the Dems based on voter turnout, the election becomes nigh impossible for the Reps to win.

And that's not to mention the Missouri's of the world. Turnout swings those to Obama, too.

But I will suggest to you that even more important than the Missouri's is our own great state of Texas. Did you know that John Kerry damn near carried Dallas County in the last election? Either Dem will win it handily this year. Same with Harris County, Travis County, and Bexar County. The urban areas will go big to the Democrats. Texas has such a complex demographic mix that it is NOT a reliable stronghold for any Republican who doesn't hail from here.

The bottom line, the way I sense it, is that Texas will vote Democrat this November. And even if everything else simply stayed the same (though I don't expect it to), that makes it impossible for the Republicans to win. You can't give up New York and California and Texas and hope to make it up in places like North Dakota. Which, incidentally, a lot of those red middle-America states could well go to Obama, too.

And this doesn't even begin to consider several southern states that have recently been Republican strongholds but will likely vote for Obama if he is the candidate.

I'm hard pressed to think of more than ten states that McCain could win, against Obama. If Obama gets the nomination, the general won't be a campaign, it will be a coronation.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #54
dude1394
Guru

Chum..if you think texas is going to vote for a democrat you have been drinking much,much obama kool-aid.

Listen obama didn't carry florida, what makes you think that he'll carry it any more now than he did then.

And I don't think obama will carry the south at all imo, nor the evangelicals. He'll carry the african-american vote, but he always does that.

I have no problem with the electoral college. Ohio, missouri are not "liberal" states. They are moderate states and the moderate in this race will not be obama. It "could" be clinton, but it won't be obama.

I also completely disagree with you about him winning southern states. He's an extremely liberal, first term senator (less than what 2 years), black man. His one selling point imo is that he's from chicago and not NY or the east coast. That will carry some weight.

Last edited by dude1394; 02-24-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #55
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Chum..if you think texas is going to vote for a democrat you have been drinking much,much obama kool-aid.

Listen obama didn't carry florida, what makes you think that he'll carry it any more now than he did then.

And I don't think obama will carry the south at all imo, nor the evangelicals. He'll carry the african-american vote, but he always does that.

I have no problem with the electoral college. Ohio, missouri are not "liberal" states. They are moderate states and the moderate in this race will not be obama. It "could" be clinton, but it won't be obama.

I also completely disagree with you about him winning southern states. He's an extremely liberal, first term senator (less than what 2 years), black man. His one selling point imo is that he's from chicago and not NY or the east coast. That will carry some weight.
I may not have made myself clear. In terms of Texas, I believe that EITHER Obama or Clinton will carry the state. There is no Texan in this race, so the demographics and the politics will be laid bare. And the demographics and politics say to me that Texas is going Democrat. It's not Obama Kool-Aid, because again, I would believe it with Hillary, too. If you want to make a friendly bet, I'm up for it. I say Texas is going Dem in the fall.

What the hell are you talking about, with regard to Obama not carrying Florida? Look, this is a state that I could conceive him losing to McCain in November, but the Democrat primary "election" there certainly has NOTHING to do with it.

If you think Obama wouldn't win states like Mississipi and Georgia and South Carolina...well, I just don't think you are seeing things clearly.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #56
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

mccain is quite moderate for a republican - which means that the moderate states dont automatically fall into democratic hands anymore. Even though I find it hard to believe that after 8 painfull years under bush anyone would want to vote republican, polls show a nearly dead race between dems and republicans at the moment (slight advantage for the democrats). Media bias - as always- will play a big role.
Hillary is uncompromising and has bumped into the media more than once which in turn portrayed her in ways that now probably make her lose the candidacy. Obama doesn't seem as much of an inconveniance but lets not forget who the "classical" democratic voter is - it's the people with low income or young people with high education. The demographic groups with consumer power which are the interesting groups for the media business, are traditionally republican, except in a couple metropolitan areas where there are a great number of young, successfull, educated people.
Lets not kid ourselfs, news are less a service than a business these days and you write and show what your audience wants to hear/see so they keep watching your channel or buying your newspaper. It's not directly lying mind you, you just leave points out that might be unpopular.
I think obama will be quite successfull mobilizing key democratic groups (students, laborors, ethnic "minorities" to go to the vote but wether or not he can take more than a couple traditional republican states - im not sure. And wether he can cling to all traditional democratic states I don't know either. We will have to find out how he does in a campaign where the other side has different programs and he is forced to rely more on answers than his ability to be an excellent speaker. Then again, america does have the tendancy to vote with its heart rather than mind so we shall see. In terms of international relations both hillary and obama would be excellent for the image of the united states. As for their competence to fix some of the things bush messed up and dealing with the dwindeling deficit - we will have to see.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #57
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of
Default Will Nader strengthen McCain?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080224/D8V0QN100.html

Here comes Nader...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #58
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I may not have made myself clear. In terms of Texas, I believe that EITHER Obama or Clinton will carry the state. There is no Texan in this race, so the demographics and the politics will be laid bare. And the demographics and politics say to me that Texas is going Democrat. It's not Obama Kool-Aid, because again, I would believe it with Hillary, too. If you want to make a friendly bet, I'm up for it. I say Texas is going Dem in the fall.

What the hell are you talking about, with regard to Obama not carrying Florida? Look, this is a state that I could conceive him losing to McCain in November, but the Democrat primary "election" there certainly has NOTHING to do with it.

If you think Obama wouldn't win states like Mississipi and Georgia and South Carolina...well, I just don't think you are seeing things clearly.
Yes..I will take that wager on texas. Let's say 20 bucks or so...I think we could do a paypal deal...
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #59
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

McCain was against Bush Tax cut so was Obama, no difference here. McCain is for Amnesty so is Obama. Not much difference except for national security issues and feel good stuff like family values, gays, abortion which does nothing for anyone anyway and will change nobody's mind.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #60
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I must admit that thinking about this for four years makes me very sick. Nurse Crachett in the white House....If she was to give bubba a lobotomy I might risk it.

Wrong organ, Dude.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Yes..I will take that wager on texas. Let's say 20 bucks or so...I think we could do a paypal deal...
I'll take that bet. Twenty says that Texas goes Democrat in November.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #62
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I'll take that bet. Twenty says that Texas goes Democrat in November.
Done..
Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #63
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting bet. It looks to me like Dude just won himself a note for 19 Wendy's Texas double-cheeseburgers (including tax), cashable next November...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #64
chumdawg
Guru

Seventeeen minutes into this debate, and Hillary has already imploded. My goodness.

Dude better hope McCain has a rabbit up his sleeve. If there is one piece of conventional wisdom, it's that the Clintons can bounce back from anything and beat anybody. She is trying to take on Obama here, and she looks petty and he looks like Teflon. You can stick a fork in her.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #65
chumdawg
Guru

Obama is shredding her tonight.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #66
chumdawg
Guru

This is an ass-whipping of epic proportions. Some people believed that Obama was only big-stage rhetoric and that he would shrink in policy-wonk debates. Well, not only has he beaten her back on policy arguments time and time again, but he is also flashing great debating skills.

She has never seemed smaller, and he has never seemed larger. The latter, I remind you, is much more important.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #67
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get to see it... did Hillary freak out?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #68
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I didn't get to see it... did Hillary freak out?
She's so conflicted between whether to pull the typical Clinton slander job and concern for the possibilites of another four years of the American Fascist Party. It's funny to watch.

But yeah, Obama slaughtered her pretty good tonight. I notice that in debates, though, while he's able to handle points and rebut every thing that Clinton throws at him, he doesn't have the same eloquence as he does on stage. Am I the only one noticing this?

The NAFTA thing was particularly enjoyable to watch. This race is over.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #69
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

no wooden stake sticking from the charred remains of the beast => the race is not over.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #70
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

saw some clips from the debate. obama is such a badass.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #71
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I see no way McCain beats Obama. He can't attack him because he is black. If he attacks him on the Iraq war, like he did today, it makes McCain look like a fool and again he loses. The Democrats have been hitting McCain at his comment, we will stay in Iraq 100 years, if this is what it takes. Oh great line McCain, that even loses him half the Republican votes.

McCain is trying and being told, attack him. Then, McCain is like what can i attack him over? So today, McCain says Obama said in the debate, he will send troops back in if he needs to and Al Queda comes back. McCain says news to Obama, Al Queda is already in. So he hit at him trying to show he is wet behind the ears and unexperienced. The two things he will attack him with is he is unexperienced and he is one of the most liberals in the Democratic party. Obama fires back, if you had not invaded Iraq, it would be "no Al Queda" in Iraq, like it was no Al Queda before we went in and Sadam was in power.

Dude and i have talked about this for months and months. See why Bush, Chains, Rams and Dude must say Al Queda was running Iraq and was in Iraq before the invasion? This tears down the Republicans playhouse and it sounds awful for no Al Queda in Iraq before we went in and now it is. Doesn't go well with the public for Republicans. They also try every way possible to try to tie Sadam with 9/11. Why? Another reason to invade. He had nothing to do with 9/11. Then say they have weapons of massive destruction but again this is false, he did not. Keep the American public in fear, do not tell them about "oil" and send them on wild goose chases why we did invade.

Obama is way to smart for them and he won't let it go and he is bringing the same things that is been brought up in these forums, to the American public. Iraq hurts McCain, Hillary and this adm. As dude has tried to make it sound anyone that doesn't go along with the Iraq war and want war in the middle east, something is wrong with them, let's get it on. The American public is standing up and saying no, no more, we don't want it, and show us why, what, when and answer to the questions why? They can't and Obama keeps bringing up these why's?

1.Iraq will hurt the Republicans bad. What was the reason?

2.The Republicans are the biggest wasteful spenders in this adm of all time. None has been worse. Selling us out to China. Soaring our dollar down to record lows today. The worthless peso from Mexico is rising on our dollar. The Americans will just say no, to any Republican.

3.Inflation. Recession. Well is this any surprise with this adm carring more about oil wells than the economy. Go look at the price of eggs, milk, groceries. I have already said, this adm will try to push gas prices to 5.00 a gal before they leave. I feel before they get out it will hit 4.00 a gal. Maybe 5.00. Oh i know some will say it isn't the big oil tycoons fault, Chains and W but you put two and two together and Chains runs W and guess who runs Chains? Today our oil is at a surplus again and we are loaded up good, so why is oil up .20 in the last two weeks or almost 1.00 higher a gal from last year? Just wait till spring, even you Republicans will complain with gas prices. You should have bought gold, silver and oil stocks when this adm went in and you would be doing good. Play the game like they do.

4. Want to protect the American people, then protect our borders, something this adm has failed at. Now what is more important, chasing oil wells and no way China and Russia will let us push on into Iran. That is there oil. They get a lil nervous when we start playing around with oil wells in the middle east. It makes more sense to protect our people and our borders and this adm doesn't have their priorites right. Again, this doesn't help McCain.

5. Age. Sorry, doesn't help McCain

6. Conservatives do not like McCain, the majority. Big problem here. It will be funny to watch conservatives vote for one of the most liberal Democrats in Obama. Democrats are loving this.

7. It has never in the history of the USA been voter turnout for the Democrats as it has. It is more people voting than ever. Young people are walking the streets turning the vote out and signing people up. I think Ohio is up 1000 %. This is not Republican vote, they are staying home.

8. McCain has some skeltons in his closet and it will be hard to dig alot of dirt up on Obama. The Republicans know it will be very dangerous to attack him on his skin color and his religion.

9. Change. Who gives change, McCain or Obama?

10. Jobs. People have lost and losing their jobs. Alot have already lost healthcare and the retirements they once had. They are being shoved out and now having to hunt for a job at 45 to 60 years old. Taking less to work more and harder to receive alot less and this is if they can find a job. I am talking college graduates. On all these things you can say it isn't this adm fault because they are angels and they are the faith, values and morals adm but the American public will hold someone accountable and they are not going to blame it on JFK, Clinton's or the Carters. It is who is in office.

11.Latino Vote. Baascially the Republicans has hinted, they do not need the latino vote. Not good.

Obama does not need Tx to beat McCain but guess what? The state of Tx is getting more latino and african American all the time. Remember the hurricane in LA? It is alot of LA citizens in Tx now. Oh, Fl and Pa does matter. NY, Ca and IL is Democrat. Tx has been Republican. McCain wont sweep the south against either Hillary or Obama. Clinton won several states in the Republican south when he ran, so will Obama or Hillary.

Nader is in, so will this push McCain over the top? No. He must try to scare the American public to death like this adm has tried to do. Really push for Independents but Obama will get just as many or more. Obama will be a brick wall for the Republican party and i see no way they beat him and especially with McCain.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #72
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

One thing maybe in McCain's favor. If you make over 250 thousand a year, your taxes are going up with Obama or Hillary. Under this adm, the money is being taken and squeezed from the poor and middle class and going to the rich.

How many make over 250 thousand a year and even some of these might care more about our economy, our safety, our borders, the wasteful spending, our infrastructure more than just their taxes going up. The polls are pretty close with Obama/McCain and this gives McCain hope and the Republican party but i just do not see McCain beating him and it won't be good McCain debating Obama. One other hope McCain has, is time. It is still alot of time.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #73
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Anybody remember Harold Washington?

Obama is not Harold Washington. That won't work.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #74
dude1394
Guru

Dang it. Obama can't do anything right. He can't even win texas with all of the republicans voting for him.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #75
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_Reno
Obama is not Harold Washington. That won't work.
But the political conditions are oddly parallel. And that won't work in Obama's favor, or more importantly, for the interests of the country either.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #76
chumdawg
Guru

Hillary is putting up a better fight than I thought she was capable of. But I still doubt she will win delegates from Texas when it is all said and done. Barack will win Texas on that account.

But in the court of public opinion, this allows her to go on. She didn't get the knockout punch tonight, so that's a victory for her.

In the end it will be too little too late, but for now it's enough to maintain her candidacy.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #77
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Clinton has 51% in Texas right now, and Obama has 47%. That means Kidd has about 2% if my math is right.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #78
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hillary is putting up a better fight than I thought she was capable of. But I still doubt she will win delegates from Texas when it is all said and done. Barack will win Texas on that account.
Texas apportions the delegates based on percent of the vote in both the primary and the caucus, so she will get delegates no matter what.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #79
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Hillary steals Ohio & Texas? Is Karl Rove working for her now???

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #80
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This is stupid. It doesn't mean anything on the democratic side to say that anybody "won" any state, right?

The delegates get split up. Sure she won texas. But if she wins by a 51% to 48% margin, how many delegates did she gain on him?

I hope they end up dead even and have to run this into the ground all the way into the summer.

And by the way, (mind you I hope they both suffer tragic memory loss and go away quietely forever) how in the HELL did she win????? I heard about a million Obama ads over the last few weeks, and never heard a single Clinton ad, ever. I only heard about him...tv...radio...internet. I guess she doesn't even need more campaign money. Did people realize they were voting for a woman? Or was this the republicans doing Limbaugh's bidding, voting for her to drag the race out?