Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #41
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Carisle would work right now cause of the system were stuck in but you never know if dantoni a young nelly wanna be may be jobless and come over here. pick and rolls with dirk and kidd would be sick!
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #42
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ukj6Qi5W_k&NR=1

I have never seen this guy coach a basketball game, but I like him.. :-)

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #43
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Jordan would be the perfect fit. He was the mind behind the motion/princeton offense in NJ. Lawrence Frank was the D-Coordinator during the Byron era. The amount of work was where Scott was criticized, reportedly by Kidd inside the lockerroom in Memphis. How Scott runs his staff should not be any players business. Anyhow. I think the new guy has to be an experienced coach. He can bring in coordinators to run both sides of the ball. So choosing to be an offensive or defensive team should not have any bearing on the new coach. I think experience helps, hands off helps, good repoire with any player helps. I think they have to implement styles of play, given the personnel. Can this new coach make that adjustment, very important detail? D'Antoni could not do it with Shaq. I rule D'Antoni out right there, he has to be able to get point in the paint, given the best 2 players in the league, he couldn't do it. Carlisle, don't know much about it, reminds me of Skiles, I'd say pass on Carlisle. I think Bird would actually be the best candidate to run the team, he will hire good people for both sides of the ball. Paul Silas has known Kidd for a while. I think he was an assistant in PHX, he and his wife were witnesses at Kidd and Joumana's wedding ceremony. But as a hoops coach, why did Cleveland unload him after 1 year with Lebron? This is where I prefer a guy that can command the respect of the lockerroom, I feel this is more valuable than his knowledge of X's and O's.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
We don't want Adelman. We'd get tired of him just like all the Blazers fans where I grew up got tired of him.
I've heard you say that before. I've always considered him a very good coach.

You know as well as anybody (you've talked about it) that there's a lot of subjectivity involved when it comes to fans grading a coaches performance. At the end of the day, we judge him by the way his team performs relative to our perceptions of that teams ability. Of course that second part is where opinions get divided.

Home town fans generally have a high opinon of the team and, by extension, tend to be the hardest on the coach. There are people on this board who have convincd themselves (or been convinced) that Avery Johnson isn't even a competent coach dispite all his accomplishments. My guess is that when he finally lands the fans in that city will be pleased and they'll percieve him a lot differently than we do.

That's kind of my long winded way of saying that maybe you and the Blazer fans were a little hard on Adleman .
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #45
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelibo
He runs the system from his days at New Jersey... seems like a fit for Kidd. Is he on the hot seat?
From what Ive heard he doesnt get along with the Washington GM Grunfeld. He seems like a perfect fit to me too. I said that we should hire Dan Tony in another thread, but now the more I think about it I wish I could take that post back. Too much mustache.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #46
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma
Jordan would be the perfect fit. He was the mind behind the motion/princeton offense in NJ. Lawrence Frank was the D-Coordinator during the Byron era.
We both seem to know this quite well.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #47
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma
Jordan would be the perfect fit.
I wouldn't mind that at all....a motion offense would be very interesting with Kidd in the mix...depending on who goes and who stays...I know I'd love Dirk with Kidd in motion.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 04-30-2008 at 05:50 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #48
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I wouldn't mind that at all....a motion offense would be very interesting with Kidd in the mix...
And believe me... Eddie Jordan will make Bass look like KMart during his KMart All-Star days. Just imagine this... Kidd backboard pass to the trailing Brandon Bass for the 2 handed dunk. Or anyone who can dunk for that matter. How nice.

Last edited by monty55555; 04-30-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #49
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

I'm sure it's already been said above, but if the Suns fire Mike, Cuban should hire him and bring back Del.
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #50
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555
And believe me... Eddie Jordan will make Bass look like KMart during his KMart All-Star days. Just imagine this... Kidd backboard pass to the trailing Brandon Bass for the 2 handed dunk. Or anyone who can dunk for that matter. How nice.
What about Jordan's weaknesses as a defensive mind? Do we just trust in Del?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #51
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
What about Jordan's weaknesses as a defensive mind? Do we just trust in Del?
As Kidd Karma has noted, during Eddie Jordan's stint in NJ as an assistant coach (while Byron Scott was head coach), it was Lawrence Frank who took much of the responsibility on the defensive side while Jordan fueled the offensive side. There is no doubt in my mind that Eddie Jordan will be a great offensive coach, but on the defensive side, I'm quite wary.

Who do you think would be a good defensive minded assistant coach?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #52
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

I dont see why youd hire a coach for Kidd who has one year left and might be traded anyways.

Dantoni, Jordon, or Carlisle. (Bird...hmmm)

d
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #53
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Is Rudy T available?
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #54
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangirwin
I dont see why youd hire a coach for Kidd who has one year left and might be traded anyways.

Dantoni, Jordon, or Carlisle. (Bird...hmmm)

d
I'm not saying you should hire a coach for one player's abilities. I'm just saying that Eddie Jordan would be one coach who could maximize Kidd's potential.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #55
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

mike dan tony

my god.

on one hand i think it makes perfect sense -- best case scenario, the mavs line-up next season will look like a weaker version of dan tony's Suns.

still...the siren song of fast break small ball should be ignored.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #56
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Ditka.

Nothing else needs to be said.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #57
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very, very intersted in Eddie Jordan if he was willing to bring Del back for the defense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #58
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

You guys really think there's any chance the Wizards will can Eddie Jordan? I don't really have my finger on the pulse of that situation.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #59
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You guys really think there's any chance the Wizards will can Eddie Jordan? I don't really have my finger on the pulse of that situation.
I have just read it one of Fish's articles and I heard it could be a possibility from Cooperstien from 103.3.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #60
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this will sound like it's coming out of left field, but Kelvin Sampson is currently available, and might not be a terrible option as head coach. He obviously has no NBA experience, but he's a hell of an individual motivator and he's also a superb X's and O's coach, and whereas I personally really wouldn't want Cuban looking at college guys to fill Avery's shoes, it really wouldn't surprise me if he did, and if that was the case, I'd say that we could do a heckuva lot worse than Big Kelvin Sampson (and at least he can't get into trouble for recruiting violations in the NBA ). I'd say that if he was surrounded by old NBA hands (like Del), Sampson might just have the personal presence and extensive technical experience that might translate very well into the NBA...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-30-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #61
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie
Is there any new blood out there?
We tried new blood. I want some old blood now.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #62
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

about sun's Mike D'Antoni?
u will get fire too i guess, and Aj will be sun's coach!
lol~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #63
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

paul westphal
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #64
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

I'm hoping for D'antoni hopefully the Suns let him go , but i'm thinking either Westphal or Elie will get the coaching job.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #65
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Alby brought up the name Larry Legend.
That idea crossed my mind too. I doubt he want to coach again, but maybe he's itching to get closer to the action again.

Westphal might be the easiest solution, cause he probably knows best what's wrong with the team, or is he part of the problem?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've definitely heard a lot of talk that the team is going to undergo pretty big changes after losing in the first round.

I haven't heard anything specific about Jordan, other than random mentions from people in this area today.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #67
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

People need to stop mentioning Larry Bird. He's the president of the Pacers, and Donnie Walsh just left, leaving Bird as the defacto GM as well, which he may have been already.

Why would the president of the Pacers leave to be the coach of the Mavs?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-30-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #68
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

jeff van gundy!
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #69
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Minor roster changes(meaning not trading Kidd/Dirk) I expect to see Del or Westphal.

Major roster changes(meaning trading Dik/Kidd) I expect to see a total change in everything.

But, I need to ask one thing, CUBAN, please get in a suite.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #70
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle, Carlisle, Carlisle, and nobody but Carlisle.

IMO, Carlisle isn't just the best option; he's the only the option. Please, no Bobby Knight or anyone else without NBA experience. No Dan Tony or anyone else. Carlisle.

Edit: And if you can get Del back as an assistant, that would be perfect.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-30-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #71
stoble

stoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nice

On Mavs talk last night Reggie Miller was brought up. Could it be Miller Time?
stoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #72
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

got this from fish on db.com

it's pretty good

The list:

Del Harris:

UPSIDE - He's got 556 career NBA wins. He is a mentor to countless coaches around the world. He had the ear and respect of the owner. He's already making, oh, a million bucks a year or so, so why not bring him out of his Avery-caused semi-retirement? "The Professor'' would have the respect of this team, and would be able to built on what he originally built. He has in his career been lauded as an offensive mind and as a defensive mind. He has an educational background in religion and speaks almost as many languages as Dikembe. He is the author of 'The Mavs Way,' and is in many ways a more loyal, more erudite Nellie, only without the fistful of beer can.

DOWNSIDE - Would this be a backwards move? Don't the Mavs need a fresher start? Does Del, even as a very young 71, really want that first chair?

Eddie Jordan:

UPSIDE - He's a Jason Kidd guy dating from their Jersey days. Will he even need any other credential? He's got to get canned in Washington first (we hear he doesn't mesh with boss Ernie Grunfeld) but if he does, can he bring Agent Zero with him?

DOWNSIDE - How fully committed is Cuban to making this "Kidd's team''?

Mike D'Antoni:

UPSIDE - The Suns need to officially dump him first. When they do, he's the sexiest viable commodity out there. Is he an "offensive guy,' a "fast-pace" guy? Sure, but did you see how quickly he shifted gears when they got Shaq? Shifted gears in a way Avery couldn't/wouldn't do when Kidd came here, BTW.

DOWNSIDE - Mavs fans would have to quit making fun of him for looking like a "Paper Moon''-ish smiling door-to-door Bible salesman.

Jeff Van Gundy:

UPSIDE - Do you believe that defense wins championships? When he worked Mavs games for ABC, he habitually predicted the results of Avery goof-ups before they happened. Either he's Sylvia Browne, or he knows infinitely more about coaching than Dallas' previous job-holder.

DOWNSIDE - We once sat on an airplane next to JVG. He chewed his fingernails down to his wrists. You think Avery is vein-poppingly high-strung?

Rick Carlisle:

UPSIDE - He's experienced, he's disciplined, he's a get-along-guy and, after some time on TV, he's fresh.

DOWNSIDE - He looks too much like "The Cable Guy.''

Paul Westphal:

UPSIDE - He is an NBA head-coaching veteran, coached in an NBA Finals, he is already on the payroll, and he's got an entire suitcase full of offensive ideas - ideas he was brought here to implement - that Avery never allowed him to install. In fact, Paul may not have even unpacked yet. I can absolutely envision Cuban considering the idea of Westphal, assisted by Del Harris. KIDDIRK would thrive.

DOWNSIDE - Is Westphal so unassuming (too unassuming?) that he wasn't able to get his voice heard? Oh, and what the hell caused him to bomb out as a college coach?

Tom Thibodeaux:

UPSIDE - A fine defensive mind who will emerge from this playoffs as The Next Hot Thing.

DOWNSIDE - He's not been a head coach; the Mavs would have to wait until Boston is done, and that figures to be a long wait.

Pat Riley:

UPSIDE - In terms of credentials, credibility, offense, defense, psychology and even selling tickets, Riley's the man.

DOWNSIDE - He shouldn't even be on a realistic list. It ain't happening. Cuban's critics keep saying that "no one wants to coach here'' (same thing the mediots said before Parcells hooked up with Jerry). The only person this obviously applies to is Riles - and that's not because of Cuban, it's because Riley is accustomed to being almost his own owner.

Mario Elle:

UPSIDE - Mavs players are absolutely certain he'll be an NBA head coach someday.

DOWNSIDE - We've seen enough on on-the-job training, thank you.

Darrell Armstrong:

UPSIDE - Like Elle, he's on a fast-track to a top job. When he was in Dallas, he was the team's 15th man and still its leader.

DOWNSIDE - We've seen enough on on-the-job training, thank you. Really, DA is not even retired as active player yet. I'd prefer to give one of these guys their SECOND job someday.

Sam Vincent:

UPSIDE - He is an Avery disciple with Mavs connections who just got fired in Charlotte.

DOWNSIDE - He is an Avery disciple.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #73
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the double post, the site is being kind of funky right now

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-01-2008 at 12:04 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #74
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
People need to stop mentioning Larry Bird. He's the president of the Pacers, and Donnie Walsh just left, leaving Bird as the defacto GM as well, which he may have been already.

Why would the president of the Pacers leave to be the coach of the Mavs?
I seem to remember some reports about Bird's relationship with Donnie Walsh and that Walsh's departure might make the Pacers less attractive to Larry. That being said, I just searched the news archives around the time Walsh accepted the Knicks job and it seems Bird plans to stay and take on the challenge of running the entire Pacers organization.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #75
BGMaverick9
Guru

after hearing everything today from Avery to Cuban to Stein and Co.
I think your list is going to be

If they're fired/released:
D'Antoni, Eddie Jordan

If they want to take the job:
JVG/Carlisle

I really don't think Del or Westphal are going to be options.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #76
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I like the Westphal/Del Harris combination. A soft spoken guy would be a good change after the little general. We really need to milk the Dirk/Kidd combo. I think Del Harris is done as head coach. If you want a septuagenarian, I'd rather try Lenny Wilkens.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #77
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Again, Carlisle's the only guy that makes sense to me. Knows how to coach both sides of the game, is young, fresh, and experienced.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #78
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

Van Gundy it
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #79
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleywillcrushyou44
Van Gundy it
Good god, Van Gundy would be as bad as Avery. No thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #80
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Whats with the Carisle love here? What's he ever done that makes people want him to coach this team. To me, he's all system too, my way or highway type coach that made Avery such a douche. Of course, even that would be a better solution than Mark apparently wanting to put Donnie on the sidelines (per ESPN)