Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #41
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR
anything to do over in plano? seems pretty cookie cutter
Plano... nah.

I have lived in DFW since 2002 and didn't even go to Plano once until some time in 2007. It's pretty much got what the other major suburbs have, give or take. Might be better said by someone who lives more eastward than me, though.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #42
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR
anything to do over in plano? seems pretty cookie cutter
Think Sugar Land, without the diversity.

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 06-22-2008 at 04:23 PM.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Plano's little downtown area by the dart line is kinda nice. If you are going to UTD, you can easily catch a bus, take the train and get back without a car.

McCarty's restaurant and tavern is also kinda nice. It's sort of irish and has comedy night, darts, karaoke and a personal feel to it. Some nice ladies tending bar.

Fox and Hound is nice during mavs games, they have a pretty big contingent.

If you are looking for a dance club, you'll haveta' wait until the dart line goes to deep ellum in 2010 I believe.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #44
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know that the PSAT was indexed for NM purposes. I, too, had a math score that was much better than the verbal. It was either 800/640 or 780/660, I can't remember which. What I do remember is they said you shouldn't expect your score to change much from one test to another, which I think is bunk.

I remember that we took a sort of "pre" PSAT as sophomores, and on that I scored either in the 1200's or the low 1300's. I just didn't know anything about the test. But having taken it, and observed the kinds of things it tests, I was better prepared to take the PSAT as a junior, and my score greatly improved.

Then when I took the SAT the first time, I scored 800/720. I figured I could get that verbal score up with some practice, so I read up on vocabulary (in my mind, a *very* large part of the verbal portion of the SAT) and analogies. The second time around I went 780/780.

I was pleasantly surprised when my records showed that I had a 1580 on the SAT, which I had never done in one setting. Evidently you can take it as many times as you like, and they will add your best math to your best verbal.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #45
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

I took my SAT's three months ago, and got a 560 on Writing, and a 520 on Reading and Math. I also got a 9/12 on my essay. Is that good?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #46
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, we got some PSAT/SAT superstars in here. I'm impressed. I didn't do as well as many of you.

Guess I'll just have to settle for my 171 on the LSAT.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Damn, we got some PSAT/SAT superstars in here. I'm impressed. I didn't do as well as many of you.

Guess I'll just have to settle for my 171 on the LSAT.
As you know, the SAT means nothing when it comes to the LSAT. How does your 171 compare? I know you got into UT Law, so I'm guessing it's pretty damn good...
Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #48
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
As you know, the SAT means nothing when it comes to the LSAT. How does your 171 compare? I know you got into UT Law, so I'm guessing it's pretty damn good...
171 equaled out to 98.6 percentile on the test I took. That score will fluctuate between 98th and 99th percentile, depending on the difficulty of each particular test. Obviously, I was happy with my score.

And you're very correct about the lack of correlation, because my SAT score was nowhere near that percentile. I don't know exactly where I fell, or even exactly what my score was, but I can't imagine I was any higher than about 90th.

With the LSAT, it's interesting how small the gap is from 170-180 (180 being the max score) when compared to 160-170:

160 -- 83rd percentile
170 -- 98th percentile
180 -- 99th/100th percentile

I have no idea if the SAT/PSAT is similar in that regard.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-22-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #49
chumdawg
Guru

I don't know, either, if the SAT is similar, but I know that that's pretty freakin' salty. Rock on, bro. Rock on...
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #50
LonghornDub

Quote:
I don't know, either, if the SAT is similar, but I know that that's pretty freakin' salty. Rock on, bro. Rock on...
Thanks. Much appreciated.

It seems we've got a nice handful of academically-inclined folks around these parts, which is certainly why you see a much more intelligent discourse here than on your average sports message board.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I never took the sat, took the act... I think it was a 24-26 I believe.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #52
MavsMandy

MavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really nice

Quote:
I did not know that the PSAT was indexed for NM purposes.
I also didn't realize that the PSAT was indexed. Interestingly, the cutoff scores differ significantly by state (from 200 to 223, out of 240), so it's easier to be a finalist in, say, Mississippi than it is in California.

Was the PSAT out of 240 when y'all took it? It was for me (80 math, 80 verbal, 80 writing), but the SAT was still out of 1600 at that point.

When I took the "pre"-PSAT my sophomore year, I managed to score a 240/240 (what can I say, I'm really good at standardized tests). Slipped a bit after that and only got a 238 my junior year (good enough for National Merit) and a 1580 on the real SAT.

Good to know that we've got quite a crowd of NM finalists around these parts.

Last edited by MavsMandy; 06-23-2008 at 12:08 AM.
MavsMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #53
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack
Think Sugar Land, without the diversity.
LOL. Plano doesn't have diversity?

Every building in Sugar Land is required to have a white sign along the backdrop of a red bricked building. How's that for diversity? Think the shops at Park/Preston, and you'll get the whole city of Sugar Land.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #54
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of PSAT and Plano...don't go to Karen Dillard's College Prep.

That place has always been shady, and they even had a lawsuit on their hands for giving out former tests that were unauthorized by the College Board--it was all over the news.

On second thought...check out Karen Dillard's College Prep ;P

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #55
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
LOL. Plano doesn't have diversity?

Every building in Sugar Land is required to have a white sign along the backdrop of a red bricked building. How's that for diversity? Think the shops at Park/Preston, and you'll get the whole city of Sugar Land.
That's not diversity. I'm talking about the people.

The Houston area in general is a LOT more diverse than DFW. Almost three times as many foreign consular offices.

But this SAT talk is really helping me for my future tests. Taking notes .

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 06-23-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #56
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
That's not diversity. I'm talking about the people.

The Houston area in general is a LOT more diverse than DFW. Almost three times as many foreign consular offices.

But this SAT talk is really helping me for my future tests. Taking notes .
Actually richardson imo is pretty diverse. Within a mile there's enclaves of asian, persian, latino, indian shopping for example. I think it's sorta fed by the old telecom-corridor.

Last edited by dude1394; 06-23-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #57
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Yeah, Richardson is pretty diverse. I think around DART's Arapaho station (I think I spelled it wrong) there are a lot of Asian-owned businesses.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #58
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, Richardson is pretty diverse. I think around DART's Arapaho station (I think I spelled it wrong) there are a lot of Asian-owned businesses.
If you go east to the arapaho-greenville area there is a huge asian shopping center. Really some weird stuff sold there man.

I'm thinking of trying out one of their hair-cutting places, you can't even look inside with all of the posters up on the window.. Hmm...might be interesting.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #59
ty
Diamond Member

Yup, at the Greenville center, there's a place called Jeng Chi Bakery. Best dumplings/pot stickers in Dallas. Check it out.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #60
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
If you go east to the arapaho-greenville area there is a huge asian shopping center. Really some weird stuff sold there man.

I'm thinking of trying out one of their hair-cutting places, you can't even look inside with all of the posters up on the window.. Hmm...might be interesting.
I want sushi.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #61
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

i got a car and im used to driving since i lived in the burbs of houston. was pretty far from everything but the water/bay.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #62
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I want sushi.
Is that a euphemism???

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #63
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Houston is more diverse than Dallas.
But, Sugarland is by no means more diverse than Plano.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #64
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
because I lived there all my life.
I feel sorry for you.

Contact Me
Old 06-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #65
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I feel sorry for you.
For having to move to DFW? Thanks .

Quote:
Houston is more diverse than Dallas.
But, Sugarland is by no means more diverse than Plano.
Yes it is . Especially the Asian populations.

Plano: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plano,_TX#Demographics

Sugar Land: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_L...s#Demographics

The Sugar Land area (city and ETJ) is as large as Plano, too. The City of Sugar Land just hasn't annexed all of the land yet.

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 06-23-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #66
alby
Guru

sheesh, 1/3 asian? talk about yellow fever

Contact Me
Old 06-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #67
ty
Diamond Member

I love Wikipedia--it's the most reliable of the unreliable sources.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #68
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I love Wikipedia--it's the most reliable of the unreliable sources.
You could always go to the Census Bureau's website, which says the exact same thing .

Quote:
sheesh, 1/3 asian? talk about yellow fever
k.

That was a nice thing to say.

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 06-23-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #69
alby
Guru

FYI, I'm Asian.

Contact Me
Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #70
LonghornDub

I wonder what age GB is going to have to hit before his hypersensitivity to "Dallas > Houston" remarks dissipates.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #71
ty
Diamond Member

Prod, you've been gone for a while...welcome back!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #72
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Prod, you've been gone for a while...welcome back!
Yeah, I've been working full time since summer started. Did a 6 week stint at one place, which ended last Friday, and I started another 6 week stint at another place today (until August 1st). But I'll probably be posting more and more after work in the coming weeks, as we get closer to the draft, Olympics, etc.

It's good to chat with everyone again, though.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #73
alby
Guru

Prod, we'll be seeing you once the season starts.. yes?

I should try to get a Cowboys watch party together too

Contact Me
Old 06-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #74
LonghornDub

Quote:
Prod, we'll be seeing you once the season starts.. yes?

I should try to get a Cowboys watch party together too
Once the season starts, I'll be back in school, which means 3-4 hours of class per day rather than my summer work schedule of 9-10 hours per day.

So yes, definitely. Both on here and for any potential Austin watch parties.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-23-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #75
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
I wonder what age GB is going to have to hit before his hypersensitivity to "Dallas > Houston" remarks dissipates.
I don't know. Whenever the people who don't like me saying "Houston>Dallas" in anything do the same.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #76
LonghornDub

Quote:
I don't know. Whenever the people who don't like me saying "Houston>Dallas" in anything do the same.
Dude, you turn every little remark written on this board about Houston into a pissing match, which inevitably leads to you citing the most inane sh*t possible (traffic rankings? seriously?).

Don't compare yourself to anyone else on here in terms of misplaced city pride. You are three cuts below.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #77
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Dude, you turn every little remark written on this board about Houston into a pissing match, which inevitably leads to you citing the most inane sh*t possible (traffic rankings? seriously?).

Don't compare yourself to anyone else on here in terms of misplaced city pride. You are three cuts below.
All this came out of nowhere from you when it seemed like everyone was getting along. Traffic rankings came in when some complained about Houston traffic. What is so bad about me doing that?

And please link the other remarks about Houston that I have made. Anything I say about the city, people turn around and say something negative about it. Don't know why you are getting so defensive over it, but whatever.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 AM   #78
ty
Diamond Member

The weather alone makes Houston a worse city.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #79
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All this came out of nowhere from you when it seemed like everyone was getting along. Traffic rankings came in when some complained about Houston traffic. What is so bad about me doing that?

And please link the other remarks about Houston that I have made. Anything I say about the city, people turn around and say something negative about it. Don't know why you are getting so defensive over it, but whatever.
This is a site for DALLAS Mavericks fans - the less you talk about Houston, the better (because you're not convincing anyone around here that Houston is better than Dallas...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #80
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I want sushi.
In Plano, there's a really nice sushi place: Sushi Awaji at like Park and Ohio. Really good food (I recommend the BB roll), not too expensive, and awesome ice cream (I recommend plum).

Dang it I'm hungry now.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote