Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #41
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
lol at lurking at hornets boards considered doing "research".

oh, and yes. Steve Nash was a superstar. So is Paul. (Steve Nash has been held *scoreless* in 4th quarters too, btw.)
lol I want to see you quote me where I said "I did research by lurking at Hornets boards".
Go ahead and quote it, sir.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #42
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Again, he's leading the league in PER so I don't know how you can claim his numbers aren't great. But what's a superstar in your book? Top 3? Top 5? Top 8?
I never said his numbers weren't great. I said he was putting up great numbers, but not superstar numbers. His numbers in 08-09 were superstar numbers. Yes, he makes his teammates better. Yes, he's efficient. But he's not the same player he was before. I seriously think some people still have the image of the guy who destroyed us in the playoffs in mind. That's the underlying issue here. He's not that same player anymore, that's my argument.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #43
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
I never said his numbers weren't great. I said he was putting up great numbers, but not superstar numbers. His numbers in 08-09 were superstar numbers. Yes, he makes his teammates better. Yes, he's efficient. But he's not the same player he was before. I seriously think some people still have the image of the guy who destroyed us in the playoffs in mind. That's the underlying issue here. He's not that same player anymore, that's my argument.
i agree with you that he's not quite as good as he used to be and may not be the same player anymore. that player was a league mvp caliber player. the cp3 now may not be in that category but should still be considered a superstar, a starter on the all-star team, nba first team, one of the best in his position. he may not be in the MVP discussion anymore but he's still a superstar, imo.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #44
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol I want to see you quote me where I said "I did research by lurking at Hornets boards".
Go ahead and quote it, sir.
Quote:
I'm going to go lurking on some Hornets boards and see if I can find some info to help back up my claims.
Research can be defined as the search for knowledge (or information).

My point was "lol at considering that a legitimate method of getting any, unbiased, un-knee-jerky info"

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-12-2010 at 01:03 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #45
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? LeBrons numbers were better in Cleveland but he's still a superstar.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #46
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Research can be defined as the search for knowledge (or information).
Wow, just wow. So are you really trying to insinuate that I said "I'm going to go do some "research" on a Hornets board"? Really?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #47
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, just wow. So are you really trying to insinuate that I said "I'm going to go do some "research" on a Hornets board"? Really?
that's pretty much what you said...

I'm going to go lurking on some Hornets boards and see if I can find some info to help back up my claims. (aka, research)
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #48
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? LeBrons numbers were better in Cleveland but he's still a superstar.
So you're trying to say his numbers don't mean anything? Great argument.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #49
fluid.forty.one

No, I'm saying that "Chris Paul has had better seasons, so he's not a superstar anymore" is a bad logic leap.

LSMF.. I would just stop though. You're taking this way too personally and this feels like when you went nuts after the Harris/Kidd trade.

I mean, this has to be a bit:

Quote:
I'm going to go lurking on some Hornets boards and see if I can find some info to help back up my claims.
Quote:

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-12-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #50
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Every post in this thread should be edited so that they all just say, "Dirk."

His efficiency is pretty clearly the most rediculous thing happening in the NBA of late.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #51
LSMF
Diamond Member

First off, when I wanted to go to a Hornets board, I was looking to see if I could find if they were saying the same things I was saying about Paul. They watch him all the time, so I'm sure that they would see the same things I mentioned above(Loss of explosiveness, loss of quickness). Then I would take what they said and combine it with statistical evidence to help my claim. That way I would have Hornets fans and Stats to back up what I was saying.

Changing up my words, to make it look like I was making my claim based upon "lurking" is low. I mean really?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #52
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Every post in this thread should be edited so that they all just say, "Dirk."

His efficiency is pretty clearly the most rediculous thing happening in the NBA of late.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #53
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
First off, when I wanted to go to a Hornets board, I was looking to see if I could find if they were saying the same things I was saying about Paul. They watch him all the time, so I'm sure that they would see the same things I mentioned above(Loss of explosiveness, loss of quickness). Then I would take what they said and combine it with statistical evidence to help my claim. That way I would have Hornets fans and Stats to back up what I was saying.

Changing up my words, to make it look like I was making my claim based upon "lurking" is low. I mean really?
wat

lol alrighty I'm done.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-12-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #54
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
wat

Really, dude. Just stop.
Stop what? You did not explain why you thought he was still a superstar. I would have been open to hear your logic. Instead, you changed my words to make me look bad. And then brought up my reaction to the Harris/Kidd trade as if that has anything to do with this. I'll have you know, I've never had an issue with anyone after that incident. It's a board for discussion, isn't it? If you have a problem with my theory, then explain why and give me your reasoning. That's all.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #55
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

You do understand that Paul's numbers from his last two healthy "superstar" years are considered by many to be the greatest statistical seasons by a point guard, EVER, right?

this is stupid. it's not even worth the time to argue. Drawing some arbitrary, shifting line in the sand supported by cherry-picked statistics that are out of context to argue someone isn't a superstar is just academically dishonest and a little sickening. Almost... Hollinger-esque.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #56
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

JJ Berea is a superstar ;-)
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #57
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
You do understand that Paul's numbers from his last two healthy "superstar" years are considered by many to be the greatest statistical seasons by a point guard, EVER, right?

this is stupid. it's not even worth the time to argue. Drawing some arbitrary, shifting line in the sand supported by cherry-picked statistics that are out of context to argue someone isn't a superstar is just academically dishonest and a little sickening. Almost... Hollinger-esque.
Haha, so its "Hollinger-esque" that I compared his career numbers to his numbers now? This really isn't worth the time to argue.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This really isn't worth the time to argue.
a) then don't.

b) what's up with your location? it looks familiar...

Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #59
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Well apparently the Knicks are the NBA's hottest team....

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #60
xrobx
Diamond Member

speaking of cp3, his horrendous team just got beat by 18 by the 76ers. i'm expecting trade demands from him any minute now.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #61
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
speaking of cp3, his horrendous team just got beat by 18 by the 76ers. i'm expecting trade demands from him any minute now.
Anyone have the cheat code that allows us to trade JJB for CP3?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #62
xrobx
Diamond Member

and looks like cp3 isn't alone! a butthurt melo pretty much just demanded a trade to the knicks, after losing to the knicks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5912307
Old 12-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #63
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
Fast start, down hill ever since. Probably lots to do with the sale to the league.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #64
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Because points and assists aren't the only stats that matter. Chris Paul is ridiculously efficient. He's averaging more steals than turnovers. Shooting lights out. As mentioned, he's leading the league in PER.

If he averaged 24 and 12 but with 44% shooting and 4 TO/game would he be a superstar?

What about:

23, 8 & 3, with 43% shooting and 3 TO/game?
27, 5 & 5, with 44% shooting and 3 TO/game?
14, 2 & 5, with 35% shooting and 3 TO/game?

In order: Carmelo, Kobe, Chauncey
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #65
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

This is Simmons vs Hollinger. Qual vs quant.

By the eyeball, Paul looks a little more tentative and has a monstrosity of a knee brace as he gets about. Paul himself admitted some skepticism early in the season. His MPG are at a career-low by 2 minutes from the next lowest (rookie year) and 4 minutes from before his injury.

By the stats, Paul is still arguably top dog at the 1 spot in a league blossoming with ace QB play. His shooting is def and he leads the league in steals by a whopping 33% to #2 player (only Rondo's assists are doing anything similar in any individual stat). His return has basically single-handedly reverted his team back to being an upper/2nd tier Western team (before this recent nosedive).

So- somewhere between still the best in the league and not breaking records is your happy gray spot.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #66
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

We could change the topic of this tread to our mods' punctuality to sticky GDTs and the title would still be apt.

I am volunteering myself to be GDT sticky mod.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #67
fluid.forty.one

I really don't get it. Most of the mod crew is what I would consider to be "regulars" but it's been like this all season. Sticky that isshhhh.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #68
LSMF
Diamond Member

Edit...

Last edited by LSMF; 12-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #69
LSMF
Diamond Member

Edit...

Last edited by LSMF; 12-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #70
Underdog

Quote:
Our problem on defense is that we play solid defense for long stretches then we give up quick, easy points.
Wrong thread, dude.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #71
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wrong thread, dude.
My mistake...