Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
This is my favorite win of the year. Gosh what a gutty win. You don't have your coach. Your superstar goes down in the second quarter. Your second leading scorer is laying a massive stink bomb. You're in one of the best home arenas in the NBA, your center gets into foul trouble.

I mean good grief. So many other years, this team would have packed it in. Most teams in the NBA would have packed it in and focused on not losing the easy one tomorrow night. But this team is different. This team is hungry. This team is out to prove something. This team is legit. They didn't back down, they played hard and rough. And they strutted their stuff in the closing minutes because they know what kind of statement this was. In a young season full of statement games, this was another huge one. It is so freaking awesome to watch this team go about its business right now.

Most recaps are probably going to start with Marion, and believe me I'll get to him in a second. But I'm starting with Tyson effing Chandler. What a beast that man is. I thought he scuffled a bit in the first half. They were really letting some things go down low and he let it get to him. But goodness did he channel that emotion properly in the second half. He was everywhere, and he did everything. He closed down every gap coming into the lane, he protected the rim, and created space on the offensive end. He did it all. When he pounded that ball even further into the wedge on the backward I stood and clapped. Awesome.

Now, Shawn Marion. I am an unabashed lover of defense and the little things, and Shawn Marion brings so much of both. Tonight he brought the defense, he brought the rebounding, he brought the energy, and he brought the big things (scoring). He carved Oklahoma up with his dive cuts and his wack spin-post moves. He ran the floor and finished (mostly). He was awesome.

Deshawn Stevenson gave this team a huge lift in extended minutes as the rotation had to be adjusted. He played huge defense on a player that realistically he should never even be asked to guard due to their height (and it's a bit of an indictment on KD's young skillset that he couldn't take more advantage of that difference), and he played well within the offense.

Kidd ended up one measley rebound away from a triple double. He shot poorly but played well in every other area, especially defensively where he really seemed to be giving maximum effort to keep Westbrook contained.

Butler really helped this team in stretches as they really, really needed someone to put the ball in the basket before the fourth quarter, but 21 points on 22 shots? Bleach.

Jet...what a weird game. What a stretch of weird games. Eight assists, some of them very nifty, but five turnovers. Couldn't score to save his life until the fourth quarter AGAIN, but absolutely money once we got there. I love his attitude in the fourth, but at what point do we expect more than one good quarter from someone so important to this team?

I respect the hell out of Skin's basketball knowledge, but it boggles my mind that he could watch Brendan Haywood play this year and not see a difference. He was absolutely invisible tonight.

Pretty blah game from JJ. Attacked well but made some poor decisions. Also of note, no shooting guard minutes for JJ at all tonight, despite the extra strain on the rotation. Could be a machup thing, could be a Casey thing.

Dirk was obviously quite good in his limited minutes. I hate to finish this post with a downer, but I have to say, given the weird way in which he injured himself, "sore knee" concerns me. Probably nothing, but I'm concerned.

On a brigher note, awesome, AWESOME win tonight. Love this team.
Wow, great recap!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #42
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont like the lack of Gifs in this thread after such a win

sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

you know what this means...

Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #44
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
the last 2 tweets he made about half an hour ago are not
Try reading them, they're the same tweets.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #45
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

No dirk, on the road against a hungry young team. Dominant 4th quarter. This was as good of a win as any this season. My Mavericks pants are exploding with happiness.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #46
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

They just interviewed Dirk in the post game.

The good news:
- He was standing
- Nothing bad on the xrays

The bad news:
- Said the knee had been bothering him for a couple weeks
- Said the knee "just kind of gave out"
- Said he's never felt anything like this before
- He already has an MRI scheduled for tomorrow
- He spoke about this as if it were legitimate injury. There as no typical Dirk speak, no talk of playing tomorrow.

I'm concerned. Significantly.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #47
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Gina Miller tweeting that Dirk says his knee has been "bothering him two weeks," X-rays negative, MRI tomorrow. Casey apparently said it doesn't sound serious.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #48
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk just said the X-Rays were negative. He said his leg has been bothering him a little for the last two weeks.

Said he would have an MRI tomorrow at 9:00..... Said he thinks he strained a muscle in the back of his knee....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MFollowill Mark Followill
Dirk's right knee, according to Dwane Casey in postgame "doesn't sound serious". A precautionary MRI will be done in morning
Well now I don't know what to think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #50
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The good news:
- He was standing

The bad news:
- He spoke about this as if it were legitimate injury. There as no typical Dirk speak, no talk of playing tomorrow.

i would have rather lost this game by 50 points than this. bad news. season possibly in jeopardy.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #51
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Growls View Post
Why did you have to post this....pls delete it....the Mavs don't need any drama right now, thank you.
Not drama, we've decided the fault was on my end. Those two things very clearly show up as being posted hours ago now, but for some reason it was like that earlier.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #52
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My guess is that it's a 3-month injury, but he'll be back within a week...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #53
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
i would have rather lost this game by 50 points than this. bad news. season possibly in jeopardy.
I wouldn't go that far. Generally if it's something that's actually ruptured in the knee the player will know it's something significant.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #54
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my question though... difference between X-Rays and MRI. X-Rays rules out a broken bone (ie kneecap)... does it rule out anything else?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #55
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Here's my question though... difference between X-Rays and MRI. X-Rays rules out a broken bone (ie kneecap)... does it rule out anything else?
I don't believe they rule out ligament damage.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #56
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will he miss a game or two, probably.

I'm guessing it's just a concern due to the unknown for Dirk. We know he's had battles with the ankles, but he's never really had a knee issue. I would assume they'll take it easy with him....not Roddy easy, but easy.

With that being said, I won't be surprised if he still plays tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #57
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:

The good news:
- He was standing

The bad news:

This makes no sense. Your franchise player says his knee has been bothering him for 2 weeks. You have a 5 day break, but schedule an MRI on the second day of a back to back
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #58
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess we'll see, but it sounds like it's probably just a sprain or hyperextension or something. The mere fact that he says he's "never felt anything like it before" doesn't speak much to the severity, but just that he usually only injures his ankle (or gets teeth embedded in his arm).

And saying he'd rather deal with ankle injuries also doesn't necessarily speak to severity, since you'd always rather deal with something you've experienced before and know for sure you'll come back from quickly.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-27-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #59
Bayliss

Quote:
I don't believe they rule out ligament damage.
Huh?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #60
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
No dirk, on the road against a hungry young team. Dominant 4th quarter. This was as good of a win as any this season. My Mavericks pants are exploding with happiness.
LOL.....I couldn't figure out what was going on with my pants. Ditto!
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #61
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
This makes no sense. Your franchise player says his knee has been bothering him for 2 weeks. You have a 5 day break, but schedule an MRI on the second day of a back to back
They're scheduling the MRI because he got injured during this game.

Professional athletes play through all kinds of aches and pains that now one ever knows about. Nothing strange about it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #62
Bayliss

Okay... I'll be House... JThig, you be Forman... Longhorn, you be Taub... the volleyball girl can be 13....

differential diagnosis?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #63
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Not drama, we've decided the fault was on my end. Those two things very clearly show up as being posted hours ago now, but for some reason it was like that earlier.
Cool topcat....
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #64
LonghornDub

Quote:
Okay... I'll be House... JThig, you be Forman... Longhorn, you be Taub... the volleyball girl can be 13....

differential diagnosis?
I want Kutner. I know he shot himself in the head, but he's more my style.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #65
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe an own thread for the dirk injury and updates so it doesnt get mixed with the Postgame and tomorrows GDT...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Huh?
The major question with just about any knee injury is ligament damage. So I was commenting on your question by mentioning that I don't think XRays rule out that major fear.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #67
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Who is a legitimate backup for Dirk? Marion? Twin tower lineup Haywood and Chanldler? Alexis? Kidd?
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #68
LonghornDub

First differential diagnosis: Dirk's knee is suffering sympathy pains for Carlisle's knee.

Discuss.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Will he miss a game or two, probably.

I'm guessing it's just a concern due to the unknown for Dirk. We know he's had battles with the ankles, but he's never really had a knee issue. I would assume they'll take it easy with him....not Roddy easy, but easy.

With that being said, I won't be surprised if he still plays tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I guess we'll see, but it sounds like it's probably just a sprain or hyperextension or something. The mere fact that he says he's "never felt anything like it before" doesn't speak much to the severity, but just that he usually only injures his ankle (or gets teeth embedded in his arm).

And saying he'd rather deal with ankle injuries also doesn't necessarily speak to severity, since you'd always rather deal with something you've experienced before and know for sure you'll come back from quickly.
Dirk has dealt with a knee injury before. But yes, I'm not concerned about him saying he'd rather deal with an ankle. More concerned about him feeling a pain he's never experienced when he has dealt with a minor knee issue before. And more than anything just his overall demeanor came off as a little deflated, but I could be reading more than is there.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #70
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
First differential diagnosis: Dirk's knee is suffering sympathy pains for Carlisle's knee.

Discuss.
Well it's certainly not Lupis.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #71
sefant77
Guru

Was the win awesome enough to post another nice round butt so we have options to post after the next wins?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #72
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Where do we send get well cards to Carlisle?
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #73
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareMilk View Post
Who is a legitimate backup for Dirk? Marion? Twin tower lineup Haywood and Chanldler? Alexis? Kidd?
Seems like a fairly obvious answer, no?

The bigger question is whether Cardinal will be better in time to play tomorrow night. I appreciate Ajincia hitting the three, but he was otherwise pretty bad, which is not really his fault but still a reality.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #74
Bayliss

So should we start him on broad based antiboitics?

How about doing a lumbar puncture?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #75
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Dirk has dealt with a knee injury before. But yes, I'm not concerned about him saying he'd rather deal with an ankle. More concerned about him feeling a pain he's never experienced when he has dealt with a minor knee issue before. And more than anything just his overall demeanor came off as a little deflated, but I could be reading more than is there.
Well it's been a lot more common with the ankles. Without really knowing, I would say he's had more elbow issues than knee issues. Either way, it just boils down to him facing something he's not that familiar with.

I think you're reading too much into the demeanor, but that's just me.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #76
LonghornDub

Quote:
But all "minor knee issues" are not created equal. I personally have had several different knee injuries, ranging from a hyperextension to a mild PCL sprain to a complete ACL tear. They all feel different. The PCL sprain was actually more painful than the ACL tear, which basically just felt like I had no knee at all.

I can't recall what prior knee injuries Dirk has had, but if this is a non-tear of a different variety than what he's suffered, I can completely empathize with his anxiety.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #77
LonghornDub

Quote:

Put him on interferon. If he gets better, we'll know we were right.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #78
sefant77
Guru

Quote:

How about some painkiller and a walking stick? He could still drop 30 on the Craptors tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #79
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Seems like a fairly obvious answer, no?

The bigger question is whether Cardinal will be better in time to play tomorrow night. I appreciate Ajincia hitting the three, but he was otherwise pretty bad, which is not really his fault but still a reality.
I'm actually a little surprised Novakaine didn't get the nod first, but then when I went back to the original thought process: I thought Mahinmi or Lex...so I guess I'm not that surprised

From what I heard, Cardinal had food poisoning...I'm guessing that's just a tolerance issue.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #80
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

After listening to Dirk's interview and 5 minutes of googling, i'm guessing the injury is a strain to the popliteus muscle. I think KG had something similar last year. Obviously just a guess... We'll see and hope for the best.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote