Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #41
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Peja last 4 games: 24.5 MPG, 15 PPG, FG % 59 (23-39), 3 Point FG % 54.5 (12-22), made all 4 of his free throws
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #42
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Would like to see the interior defense improve and the TO's cut down - so we could hold a shorthanded team closer to 40% again - but we looked pretty good otherwise shooting the ball the and spacing the court. Also, Roddy's on the ball steals in the first and third were simply awesome. And Haywood and Barea in the first half were tremendous.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #43
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks ago I said my long-term concern would be the offense not the defense. I wonder now if I was completely wrong. They're not gonna keep dropping 110+ a game, but they look very smooth and fluid, and the new guys aren't even fully integrated.

Defense, though, I wonder.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #44
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Since the Blazers lost to the Lakers, the Mavs now hold the longest current winning streak in the NBA at four.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #45
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
A few weeks ago I said my long-term concern would be the offense not the defense. I wonder now if I was completely wrong. They're not gonna keep dropping 110+ a game, but they look very smooth and fluid, and the new guys aren't even fully integrated.

No doubt that Beaubois and Peja have made our offense really hard to stop. But they also make us more vulnerable on the other end. Is Kidd going to be guarding Kobe? Too bad Stevenson has no offense as his defense could've been crucial for us. Hopefully Beaubois's lateral movement improves as well. That will be key against Parker.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #46
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My concern would still be the offense. Some of the role players will come down to earth in a playoff series in which the other team can make adjustments and game plan for them.

I would have liked to have seen one more player acquired(Devin?)that can get his own offensively. Put it on the floor and go.

Peja really helps space the floor, Dirk has been finding the open man, JJB has been actually been playing like a PG, Kidd has been knocking down jumpers, Terry has been aggressive and dishing to others. Guys are looking for Chandler. Marion looks comfortable with his role and confident. Haywood is playing like he cares again.

The question remains: if Terry/JJ are somewhat neutralized in the playoffs against the top tier teams and Kidd's jumpers aren't falling, is there enough offense? Will we be overly relying on Dirk, and to a lesser extent Roddy, to bail the team out when the jumpers aren't falling and the offense gets bogged down? Is Roddy ready to be relied upon? Without Caron or a trade I don't think this team can go all the way w/out Roddy stepping up and becoming a consistent contributor at both ends. Especially on offense.

I think this team has shown the ability to repeatedly turn the defense up a notch in the big games especially in the 4th quarter. If no move is made I just hope that Kidd, and to a lesser extent Marion, has enough in the tank come playoff time to close out games guarding the leagues best scorers. In this regard JJB's continued success as a point guard is huge going forward.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #47
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Since the Blazers lost to the Lakers, the Mavs now hold the longest current winning streak in the NBA at four.
Wooo party!!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 02-24-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #48
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Bg, was that you that asked Carlisle about Haywood where he gave the three headed monster response? Sounded like you from the podcast. It was on the Dallas broadcast post game show.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #49
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Really nice to see Haywood sort of playing hard on a consistent basis all of the sudden. Is there any chance at all that he was just hanging around saving it till the last half of the year and now he's gearing up for the playoffs? Or has all the Mahimi playing time put a bug up his ass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
And we haven't even scratched the surface with Roddy yet this season. Once he gets back into the flow, how do you defend this team? Do you play man and switch into horrible mismatches defending the pick-and-roll, or do you try to zone it up and give open looks from some of the best perimeter shooters in the history of the NBA?
Roddy isn't quite in the flow yet, but he looked really in sync with all the plays and there wasn't a second out there when he looked the slightest bit lost. Both defensively and offensively. His defense was really good tonight.

He looks really comfortable, like he fits right into the offense now, especially at the 2 with Kidd. That wasn't true in his first two games, for all the good things he did in those. He's not pushing it very hard right now, you can tell he's just kind of standing back adjusting and that once he is fully integrated he could do a lot more than he is, easily.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #50
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Easy good win!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #51
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

easy win.we have destroyed them...our roster is too deep.very good!
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Bg, was that you that asked Carlisle about Haywood where he gave the three headed monster response? Sounded like you from the podcast. It was on the Dallas broadcast post game show.
Yup, that was me.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #53
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yup, that was me.
Nice. Awesome that Cuban gives that kind of access to a blogger.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #54
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy looks very composed out there. It's really nice to see him not try to do too much, and his passing/playmaking (as longhorn mentioned) look pretty good. I always thought that too many people made too big of a deal about that from his summer league play. He certainly has learned some things sitting out. It's tough not to rub on with the Roddy train, but he didn't try to be showtime. Instead, he played composed, passed well, shot a good percentage, and helped us get a win. His defense definitely needs work, but I'm happy so far.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #55
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Yup we destroyed Jazz, but Mavs defense still doesn't look good like in November/December.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #56
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Nice. Awesome that Cuban gives that kind of access to a blogger.
It is a new day in the age of media coverage...clearly if a hack nobody can get in there.

Cuban pulled me over to the side too and wanted to look at my photo on my credential because he was curious to see what my picture looked like, random.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #57
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
My concern would still be the offense. Some of the role players will come down to earth in a playoff series in which the other team can make adjustments and game plan for them.

I would have liked to have seen one more player acquired(Devin?)that can get his own offensively. Put it on the floor and go.
I would have too, but I'm still questioning whether the offense won't be the more reliable phase come playoffs.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #58
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
It is a new day in the age of media coverage...clearly if a hack nobody can get in there.

Cuban pulled me over to the side too and wanted to look at my photo on my credential because he was curious to see what my picture looked like, random.
He was looking for the Clark Kent hat.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #59
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would have too, but I'm still questioning whether the offense won't be the more reliable phase come playoffs.
Offense has been the problem in the playoffs since the 03-04 season, or since Nellie left.

It will be the biggest problem this Spring.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #60
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Maybe he's gonna buy your site.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #61
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Maybe he's gonna buy your site.
I'm going to tell him in the next few days he is welcomed to add MMB to the traveling media contingency. He always believes the more press/attention, the better. I wouldn't mind flying on the plane going from game to game. It's not like I have a social life that I would be leaving behind!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #62
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Offense has been the problem in the playoffs since the 03-04 season, or since Nellie left.

It will be the biggest problem this Spring.
Not sure I agree with that assessment at all. I can think of two series where it was clearly the bigger problem (Golden State '07, SA '10). I can think of another where it was arguably the bigger problem (Miami '06). But I can also think of three series where defense was clearly the bigger problem (NO '08, Denver '09, Phoenix '05).

So, I don't really think what you're saying is an accurate portrayal of the past several years Not to mention, even if it had undeniably been the bigger problem every year, it wouldn't necessarily follow that it'd be the bigger problem this year.

I'm not saying I won't have offensive concerns, but at this point I'm starting to see more to indicate that the biggest problem will be stopping dribble penetration, especially in crunch time.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #63
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Not sure I agree with that assessment at all. I can think of two series where it was clearly the bigger problem (Golden State '07, SA '10). I can think of another where it was arguably the bigger problem (Miami '06). But I can also think of three series where defense was clearly the bigger problem (NO '08, Denver '09, Phoenix '05).

So, I don't really think what you're saying is an accurate portrayal of the past several years Not to mention, even if it had undeniably been the bigger problem every year, it wouldn't necessarily follow that it'd be the bigger problem this year.

I'm not saying I won't have offensive concerns, but at this point I'm starting to see more to indicate that the biggest problem will be stopping dribble penetration, especially in crunch time.
Well playoff basketball is different. The game slows down. The other team knows all your plays and sometimes you just gotta create something out of nothing. I think Harris and Howard were able to do that but our latest teams with Kidd were not able to do that. Maybe Beaubois can start creating things out of nothing but that's asking a lot from him. Dirk has gotten flustered with the way teams guard him in the playoffs. Refs allow a lot more contact. It definitely suits teams that are more physical as well. Small ball is usually not as effective in a playoff atmosphere.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #64
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Well playoff basketball is different. The game slows down. The other team knows all your plays and sometimes you just gotta create something out of nothing. I think Harris and Howard were able to do that but our latest teams with Kidd were not able to do that. Maybe Beaubois can start creating things out of nothing but that's asking a lot from him. Dirk has gotten flustered with the way teams guard him in the playoffs. Refs allow a lot more contact. It definitely suits teams that are more physical as well. Small ball is usually not as effective in a playoff atmosphere.
These are mostly playoff cliches that I don't particularly buy into. Playoff basketball is different because there's a greater intensity, but that applies to both ends. The playoffs make it harder for offenses to perform, but they also make it harder for defenses to perform.

You say it suits the teams that are more physical. Sometimes. Sometimes it does exactly the opposite. Sometimes the Mavs shoot 50 FT's in San Antonio when the Spurs get too physical. Sometimes Dwyane Wade goes to the line anytime a Mavericks player breathes on him.

Everybody should question these generalizations about "playoff basketball." The only real truths about playoff basketball are that teams play harder and are better prepared for the opponent.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-24-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #65
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I can also think of three series where defense was clearly the bigger problem (NO '08, Denver '09, Phoenix '05).
I'll concede 05 with Phx. But NO in 08, and Denver 09... offense was a HUGE problem. In fact, if Dirk had any help at all in the 08 or 09 series... Mavs win both.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #66
LonghornDub

Quote:
I'll concede 05 with Phx. But NO in 08, and Denver 09... offense was a HUGE problem. In fact, if Dirk had any help at all in the 08 or 09 series... Mavs win both.
Having reviewed the box scores more closely, I'll change my tune on NO 08. Some dreadful shooting percentages in those games, more dreadful than I remembered.

But absolutely not on Denver. When you are consistently scoring over 100 but giving up 110+ a game, as the Mavs did in that series, defense is your bigger problem. Go look at the scores and the team's shooting percentages. The Mavs lost games to Denver despite shooting 49%, 47%, 51%, etc.

But again, I'm not sure it's even relevant. Trends "since Nellie" don't mean much when we've had several different rosters (aside from 2 players) and two different coaches. This year, with this roster, I am becoming increasingly concerned about the defense, especially in the backcourt.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #67
Bayliss

Quote:
But absolutely not on Denver. When you are consistently scoring over 100 but giving up 110+ a game, as the Mavs did in that series, defense is your bigger problem. Go look at the scores and the team's shooting percentages. The Mavs lost games to Denver despite shooting 49%, 47%, 51%, etc.

But again, I'm not sure it's even relevant. Trends "since Nellie" don't mean much when we've had several different rosters (aside from 2 players) and two different coaches. This year, with this roster, I am becoming increasingly concerned about the defense, especially in the backcourt.
Jason Terry and Josh Howard's shooting percentages in that series was 40% and 39% respectively. That is your 2nd nd 3rd options. Josh Howard was hurt with injuries affecting his play....

Denver dared Kidd/Wright/Voldeshort/Damp to try and score. And none of them could score enough to take any pressure off. And that has been Dallas's MO for the last 7 years.

Do one of two things in the playofs against Dallas and you will beat them every time:

A) Allow Dirk to get his and put pressure on Terry and the rest (who can't score enough to beat you)

B) Double Dirk and force the others to beat you

It has worked every year except one. And that year the Spurs didn't have their 2nd/3rd best player playing and it crippled their offense.

Last edited by Bayliss; 02-24-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #68
LonghornDub

Quote:
Jason Terry and Josh Howard's shooting percentages in that series was 40% and 39% respectively. That is your 2nd nd 3rd options. Josh Howard was hurt with injuries affecting his play....

Denver dared Kidd/Wright/Voldeshort/Damp to try and score. And none of them could score enough to take any pressure off. And that has been Dallas's MO for the last 7 years.
You seem to be just reiterating that there were offensive issues. I agree. We got dud performances from two of our main guys.

But that doesn't mean offense was the "bigger problem." We still scored 100+ points every game and shot very good team percentages. Meanwhile, we gave up 110+ and even higher shooting percentages. The numbers don't lie about which side of the ball was causing more issues. You shouldn't lose 4 out of 5 games averaging 50% shooting and 100 ppg. If you do, you're not playing a lick of defense.

And I'd imagine that Josh's injuries affected his play on both ends of the court, not just offense. You know?

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #69
JET_31

JET_31 is on a distinguished road

We played great last night..what I noticed most was excellent ball movement and everyone getting involved.
JET_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #70
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With his 18th point in the third quarter, Nowitzki moved past Clyde Drexler (22,195 points) and into 23rd place on the NBA's career list. Nowitzki has 22,201 points.
Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned this in this thread...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote