Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #41
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Dirk and 1 and it's not even close. GTFO with Brickhouse's OT jumpers.
Way to be respectful, Cad.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #42
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post
WCF closeout clinching shot to take the lead to propels us to Finals >>> And 1 basket to tie the game in round 2.

But that's just me.
Dude after Dirk hit the 3 there was 1:14 seconds left...that shot was not necessarily game clinching...and the series was 3-1

The Marion dunk was the clinching shot, not the Dirk 3

And compare this OKC team to that Spurs team is not even close...the Spurs was our big brothers...whereas the Thunder are our little brothers

Obviously you are a lil young

Last edited by Mav Addict; 05-26-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #43
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Dude after Dirk hit the 3 there was 1:14 seconds left...that shot was not necessarily game clinching...and the series was 3-1

The Marion dunk was the clinching shot, not the Dirk 3

And compare this OKC team to that Spurs team is not even close...the Spurs was our big brothers...whereas the Thunder are our little brothers

Obviously you are a lil young
Obviously I'm not. I'm on my way to being 27. And yes, it was 3-1, of the WCF. Someone talks about crushing spirits. Well ok, that shot crushed their spirits, too.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #44
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

When Dirk hit that 3 it was the most amazing moment. The joy, the happiness, the unbelief, the belief, the impossible, the anxiety, the torment all rolled up into one glorious moment. Oh it was beautiful, running around my house screaming, fist fucking pumping like a boss. Nothing but glory.
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
When Dirk hit that 3 it was the most amazing moment. The joy, the happiness, the unbelief, the belief, the impossible, the anxiety, the torment all rolled up into one glorious moment. Oh it was beautiful, running around my house screaming, fist fucking pumping like a boss. Nothing but glory.
My thoughts as well and again, i may be biased because I saw it in person but I just did not get that same feeling when Dirk got the And 1.

Like I said, I got more excitement and euphoria when Diop tipped the offensive rebound to himself at the very end that basically secured the win.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #46
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm over the And-1... Yeah, it was a beautiful way to defeat the dreaded Spurs, but it eventually led to the biggest Finals collapse in NBA history so it meant squat in the grand scheme of things.

Dirk's three last night felt like something bigger, something now... He didn't need a lucky break like Manu fouling him to beat the Thunder - his team grabbed the offensive board, put the ball in his hands at the right spot, then he stepped up and sank that three like it was his DESTINY, lead.

It wasn't one man, it was five - 2006 almost feels like it might have been a fluke compared to what I saw this team do last night (and really, all playoffs long...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #47
Blackspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm over the And-1... Yeah, it was a beautiful way to defeat the dreaded Spurs, but it eventually led to the biggest Finals collapse in NBA history so it meant squat in the grand scheme of things.

Dirk's three last night felt like something bigger, something now... He didn't need a lucky break like Manu fouling him to beat the Thunder - his team grabbed the offensive board, put the ball in his hands at the right spot, then he stepped up and sank that three like it was his DESTINY, lead.

It wasn't one man, it was five - 2006 almost feels like it might have been a fluke compared to what I saw this team do last night (and really, all playoffs long...)
Thank you!!

This just felt different than back in 2006. Like that shot was the stepping stone for something magical in the next few weeks. It gave us the lead. The And 1 just tied it up and we just prayed for OT.

We got to play a banged up Spurs team that year and a Suns team without Amare and then Raja Bell went down in game 2. A lot of stuff went their way.

This year, not the case.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #48
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
When Dirk hit that 3 it was the most amazing moment. The joy, the happiness, the unbelief, the belief, the impossible, the anxiety, the torment all rolled up into one glorious moment. Oh it was beautiful, running around my house screaming, [[fist fucking]] pumping like a boss. Nothing but glory.
WOW!!! you really know how to celebrate

Last edited by mac222b; 05-26-2011 at 06:00 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #49
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you!!

This just felt different than back in 2006. Like that shot was the stepping stone for something magical in the next few weeks. It gave us the lead. The And 1 just tied it up and we just prayed for OT.

We got to play a banged up Spurs team that year and a Suns team without Amare and then Raja Bell went down in game 2. A lot of stuff went their way.

This year, not the case.
Very true - not only did Portland, LA and OKC play at full strength, but a lot of media-types seem to be glossing over the fact that we haven't had (arguably) our 2nd-best player in Caron Butler for this entire run, and we're STILL curb-stomping our opponents!

I mean, it's not like we're "just getting by" here... The Trailblazers were possibly the 2nd-strongest team in the West and we had to play them in the 1st Round, we beat them in six... Then we swept the champs. Swept. The. Champs.... Now we just took down an energetic, young squad whose average age versus ours was the biggest gap in playoff history and we ended up sending those kids to bed early with no dessert in only 5 games...

12-3... No small thing.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #50
topgun

topgun is a jewel in the roughtopgun is a jewel in the roughtopgun is a jewel in the rough

What I loved about his 3 pointer was the context surrounding it. He just missed one seconds earlier, heading back on defense, but as soon as he saw Kidd come up with the ball it was like he already knew he was going to knock that bitch down. He just took over and became Mr. Clutch... Again
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #51
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

For me, I don't think there's any question whatsoever this is a more impressive playoff run in '06. They beat one really good team in '06, and did so by the skin of their teeth. That thing easily could have gone either way. This year, they've beaten three good teams, and it hasn't even really been close.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #52
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very true - not only did Portland, LA and OKC play at full strength, but a lot of media-types seem to be glossing over the fact that we haven't had (arguably) our 2nd-best player in Caron Butler for this entire run, and we're STILL curb-stomping our opponents!

I mean, it's not like we're "just getting by" here... The Trailblazers were possibly the 2nd-strongest team in the West and we had to play them in the 1st Round, we beat them in six... Then we swept the champs. Swept. The. Champs.... Now we just took down an energetic, young squad whose average age versus ours was the biggest gap in playoff history and we ended up sending those kids to bed early with no dessert in only 5 games...

12-3... No small thing.
Scary thing is... Miami will also be 12-3 if they win tonight.

Although, the teams they have played haven't been as good as Portland/LA/OKC (the Bulls have been playing awful most of this playoff run and were losing games against the sub-.500 pacers)
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #53
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

When the Mavs had the offensive rebound and Kidd passed to Marion he directly pointed to Dirk so that Marion passes it to him!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #54
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are comparing the wins, the playoff runs, the teams. Of course this run is better, this team is better. We know the disappointment of 2006.

But moment vs moment, the and-1 still reigns supreme.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #55
ajk822

ajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really nice

On a similar topic, does anyone else feel like we've only played one game at an A level? We played as well as we could during game 4 versus LA, but no other game has felt complete. I feel like we're due for another amazing game during the finals.
ajk822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Meant squat??????? That's ridiculous.

Teams just don't win game 7's on the road. It's incredibly rare. Then to do it against the Spurs?

C'mon. We were up 3-1 on OKC. The moments don't even remotely compare. Do you REMEMBER how much we all hated the Spurs?

I remember everything about that game. I remember Duncan's demeanor in the post game press conference.

Personal opinion, obviously, but I just don't see how the two even compare.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #57
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you!!

This year, not the case.
Obviously this run is better, but that Spurs team was not banged up.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #58
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

A. A series clinching and 1 on the road with 20 seconds left in a eliminating game 7 against big brother

B. A non clinching 3 pointer with 74 seconds left at home, up 3-1 against lil brother

Come on people.....convenient amnesia maybe?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #59
LonghornDub

Quote:
A. A series clinching and 1 on the road with 20 seconds left in a eliminating game 7 against big brother

B. A non clinching 3 pointer with 74 seconds left at home, up 3-1 against lil brother

Come on people.....convenient amnesia maybe?
I actually agree there's no comparison between the two, but you're going to call that and-1 "series clinching" and then accuse OTHER people of "convenient amnesia"?

A shot that ties the game and leaves the opponent 20 seconds to hit a game-winner, plus 5 more minutes of OT afterward, is not "series clinching."

Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #60
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Way to be respectful, Cad.
Respectful to who? The ghost of Jerry Stackhouse?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #61
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I actually agree there's no comparison between the two, but you're going to call that and-1 "series clinching" and then accuse OTHER people of "convenient amnesia"?

A shot that ties the game and leaves the opponent 20 seconds to hit a game-winner, plus 5 more minutes of OT afterward, is not "series clinching."
How about series saving and 1....better?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #62
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Meant squat??????? That's ridiculous.

Teams just don't win game 7's on the road. It's incredibly rare. Then to do it against the Spurs?

C'mon. We were up 3-1 on OKC. The moments don't even remotely compare. Do you REMEMBER how much we all hated the Spurs?

I remember everything about that game. I remember Duncan's demeanor in the post game press conference.

Personal opinion, obviously, but I just don't see how the two even compare.
2006 was all Manu - if he doesn't foul, game over...

2011 was all Dallas - 5 Mavericks on the court made that 3-pointer happen...

2006 is what Hollywood movies are made of, 2011 is what NBA champions are made of - I award more points for team effort than individual effort... I also award more points for willpower than luck - the fact that the Thunder series never made it to Game 7 is worth something too.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-26-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #63
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk822 View Post
On a similar topic, does anyone else feel like we've only played one game at an A level? We played as well as we could during game 4 versus LA, but no other game has felt complete. I feel like we're due for another amazing game during the finals.

I think at this stage with this kind of competition and with adjustments/scouting it's nearly impossible to have many 'A' games for any team.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #64
LonghornDub

Quote:
How about series saving and 1....better?
Definitely. That's exactly what it was.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #65
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Either way they both were amazing moments ...very few are actually lucky enough to debate such amazing plays in their teams history...we have experienced so many clutch plays from Dirk that we could come up many many more amazing moments.

Last edited by Mav Addict; 05-26-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #66
Blackspider

And the fact that it was a game 7 due to them choking away a 3-1 lead. That game was a sigh of relief that we did not choke away a 3-1 lead and then a 20+ point lead in game 7 to lose.

This was different. I don't punish them because they did it in 5 instead of letting OKC tie it at 3-3 and then doing this in game 7.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #67
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Last edited by vinylstar; 05-26-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: too big...
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #68
ajk822

ajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan View Post
I think at this stage with this kind of competition and with adjustments/scouting it's nearly impossible to have many 'A' games for any team.
Solid point, I just still feel like we didn't play that well this series. We really do just hang around then win, which I fear could get us in trouble in the finals.
ajk822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #69
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
i love this pic!
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #70
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
i love this pic!

Nowitzness81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #71
Underdog

For me the big difference between these two plays was the way I felt after them...

I was nervous as hell after Dirk hit the and-1 in San Antonio - I honestly didn't expect us to make it through regulation with the Spurs having the rest of the game clock for their last possession.

But against the Thunder, when Dirk hit that 3-pointer with a full 1:15 left to go in the game, I absolutely knew that we'd emerge victorious... Just a different kind of swagger now.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-26-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #72
LonghornDub

Quote:
For me the big difference between these two plays was the way I felt after them...

I was nervous as hell after Dirk hit the and-1 in San Antonio - I honestly didn't expect us to make it through regulation with the Spurs having the rest of the game clock for their last possession.

But against the Thunder, when Dirk hit that 3-pointer with a full 1:15 left to go in the game, I absolutely knew that we'd emerge victorious... Just a different kind of swagger now.
To me, that's the difference between a series-saving shot and a series-winning/clinching shot. I can only give the former a 95, but the latter goes up to 100.

Nothing has ever scored a 100 yet, but I'm hoping something will in about 1.5-2 weeks here.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #73
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I was speechless. I was like "what greatness..." *tear*

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #74
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

12-3... No small thing.
This is what Willis was talkin' about.

Go Mavs - beat them Heat bitches.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #75
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
2006 was all Manu - if he doesn't foul, game over...

2011 was all Dallas - 5 Mavericks on the court made that 3-pointer happen...

2006 is what Hollywood movies are made of, 2011 is what NBA champions are made of - I award more points for team effort than individual effort... I also award more points for willpower than luck - the fact that the Thunder series never made it to Game 7 is worth something too.
This makes sense if we're discussing which playoff run was better. But which moment? Not even remotely comparable for me. That Spurs series was OVER. We'd just blown a 3-1 series lead. We were, once again, going to be ousted by the FREAKING Spurs.

That And-1 was the moment Dirk arrived as a true, franchise-lifting superstar. It was the moment we served notice to the rest of the NBA that we were more than just Nellie's "nice little Mavericks".

Obviously what happened in the Finals changed the complexion, but in that moment? It was incredible. It was unbelievable. It was absurd. It was franchise defining.

Only winning a championship will ever top that moment.

I'm honestly really confused how beating the Thunder while up 3-1 even compares. We've already BEEN to the NBA finals. If we lost that game against the Thunder, it's still incredibly likely that we go to the Finals. Honestly I feel a little like Dirk right now. I'm glad we're here, it's been a fantastic, dominant playoff run. But if they lose in the Finals, this will not hold a candle to the run in 2006. Because it was the first time.

So for me, no moment from this post season can compare, unless it's the moment that achieves, or leads to, the trophy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #76
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What did you guys do/feel? That was my favorite Mavs moment ever.

Me and 3 friends were in the plat level. Everyone was already standing for the last 4min or so of the game. I remember when he missed it, a big sigh went over the crowd. Then Terry knocked it away, Dirk got it back and when he released it, I was leaning and hugging my friend next to me trying to will it in. When it swished through, I swear I've never went that crazy before ever for anything. We could feel the ground shake it was so loud.

Then the Marion dunk, it went ballistic cuz we all knew it was ours. One of my friends cried a little when we won. She told me she would if she saw it in person. It was just unreal witnessing that last minute in person.

Still have goosebumps!
It was pretty dang sweet. That place was a rocking!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #77
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The and one was great, but to be honest the most intense times I've had have not been on the tv, but in person. Those spurs games that year at the aac had moment after moment like that. It's not the same. The and one was great but when you are turning around and hugging 10-15 complete strangers..thats hard to beat.

The guy is still just as correct.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #78
Blackspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
The and one was great, but to be honest the most intense times I've had have not been on the tv, but in person. Those spurs games that year at the aac had moment after moment like that. It's not the same. The and one was great but when you are turning around and hugging 10-15 complete strangers..thats hard to beat.

The guy is still just as correct.
And this is why that moment will trump the and 1 any day of the week because of what you said. Everyone was going crazy around us and we were hugging and slapping hands and all.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #79
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Being in the building does change the dynamic. I'm willing to accept that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #80
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And this is why that moment will trump the and 1 any day of the week because of what you said. Everyone was going crazy around us and we were hugging and slapping hands and all.
I motorboated the hell out of some chic sitting behind me after that play. The place was absolutely electric.. everyone was clapping/cheering/dancing/hugging..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote