Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
Bynum4MVP

Bynum4MVP will become famous soon enoughBynum4MVP will become famous soon enough

Against the more vet teams

PG: Kidd/West
SG: Marion
SF: Odom
PF: Dirk
C: Haywood

Why can't Marion play SG?
Bynum4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #42
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynum4MVP View Post
Against the more vet teams

PG: Kidd/West
SG: Marion
SF: Odom

Why can't Marion play SG?
Because it would kill the spacing on the offense. We need a shooting guard that can shoot.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
Bynum4MVP

Bynum4MVP will become famous soon enoughBynum4MVP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Because it would kill the spacing on the offense. We need a shooting guard that can shoot.
The one left out of the lineup is West and West isn't really a good shooter. I can't really say West is a better shooter than Marion.

Terry's the best SG on the team but the Mavs need him for bench scoring.
Bynum4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #44
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynum4MVP View Post
The one left out of the lineup is West and West isn't really a good shooter. I can't really say West is a better shooter than Marion.

Terry's the best SG on the team but the Mavs need him for bench scoring.
Marion and Butler didn't work. Why would Marion and Odom be better? The ball handling, loss of speed, and passing would suffer. Put Kidd in, we are turtle slow with the bigger lineup. We need West out there to give us some more speed that we are lacking. I'm definitely for the West/Carter lineup to allow for more shooting.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #45
cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of light

I cant believe how many of you misguided souls believe that West and/or Roddy should start over Kidd...

This shows one of two things, either you're too young to remember the Mavs of the 90's, or you didn't jump on the bandwagon until Dirk and Nash came to town... You all obviously didn't suffer through those terrible seasons in the early 90's, then to see us draft Jason Kidd and begin to turn it around, only to trade Kidd for an average player in Finley...

When Kidd got to Phoenix, they had by far the worst record in the NBA... Install Kidd, and they ended up making the playoffs that year, and every year he was with Suns... Nash was Kidd's backup in Phoenix, the Mavs traded a first-rounder to the Suns for Nash, the Suns used that pick to draft Shawn Marion... Isn't funny how it all came full circle....

New Jersey was basketball purgatory when Kidd arrived, no doubt one of the worst franchises... Install Kidd, he leads them to the Finals his first two seasons in New Jersey... Meanwhile, the Suns and Marburry missed the playoffs...

Nets trade Kidd for Devin Harris and some picks, most Mavs fans whine and cry, because they believe that Harris is a star in the making... Fast forward a few seasons, and the Mavs win their first NBA Championship, with a 38yo Kidd playing big minutes... And how's Harris' career going, is he the perennial all-star that most of you had envisioned? No, he's still the same flawed player that he was...

See, if you have been a fan of this team as long as I have, then you would view Kidd's return to this team as a Godsend, and you would show him a similar amount of respect that you all reserve for Dirk... Remember, Kidd was the best player on a team that made it to the Finals twice, before Dirk had made it once... Neither of them have won it all without the other...

Again, you would've had to have been a Mavericks fan back in the days of the 3 J's to understand what Kidd means to this franchise... You would have to have known what it's like to wake up one day and hear that your favorite team, just sent a its franchise player, and future HOFer, to the Phoenix Suns for a pretty average player in Michael Finley... For the people who have truly followed this team for the past 20 years, we know that Dirk is great and we love him, but we also know that the success we achieved with Dirk, would have been nothing less if the Mavs had just kept Jason Kidd...

And I know, Kidd's older now, he's not the same player he was in 04, but damn, you don't know shit if you think Roddy/West is a better player than him...

My starting 5?

Whatever Rick thinks it should be... Hasn't RC proven that he knows what the hell he is doing? Hasn't he earned a little more than for you to whine about who is or isn't getting minutes? I think he has, certainly in my book he has...

Honestly, most of you people have either forgotten, or never really understood how and why we won it all last season....

Last edited by cowboyuptx; 01-26-2012 at 01:55 AM.
cowboyuptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #46
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyuptx View Post
I cant believe how many of you misguided souls believe that West and/or Roddy should start over Kidd...

This shows one of two things, either you're too young to remember the Mavs of the 90's, or you didn't jump on the bandwagon until Dirk and Nash came to town... You all obviously didn't suffer through those terrible seasons in the early 90's, then to see us draft Jason Kidd and begin to turn it around, only to trade Kidd for an average player in Finley...

When Kidd got to Phoenix, they had by far the worst record in the NBA... Install Kidd, and they ended up making the playoffs that year, and every year he was with Suns... Nash was Kidd's backup in Phoenix, the Mavs traded a first-rounder to the Suns for Nash, the Suns used that pick to draft Shawn Marion... Isn't funny how it all came full circle....

New Jersey was basketball purgatory when Kidd arrived, no doubt one of the worst franchises... Install Kidd, he leads them to the Finals his first two seasons in New Jersey... Meanwhile, the Suns and Marburry missed the playoffs...

Nets trade Kidd for Devin Harris and some picks, most Mavs fans whine and cry, because they believe that Harris is a star in the making... Fast forward a few seasons, and the Mavs win their first NBA Championship, with a 38yo Kidd playing big minutes... And how's Harris' career going, is he the perennial all-star that most of you had envisioned? No, he's still the same flawed player that he was...

See, if you have been a fan of this team as long as I have, then you would view Kidd's return to this team as a Godsend, and you would show him a similar amount of respect that you all reserve for Dirk... Remember, Kidd was the best player on a team that made it to the Finals twice, before Dirk had made it once... Neither of them have won it all without the other...

Again, you would've had to have been a Mavericks fan back in the days of the 3 J's to understand what Kidd means to this franchise... You would have to have known what it's like to wake up one day and hear that your favorite team, just sent a its franchise player, and future HOFer, to the Phoenix Suns for a pretty average player in Michael Finley... For the people who have truly followed this team for the past 20 years, we know that Dirk is great and we love him, but we also know that the success we achieved with Dirk, would have been nothing less if the Mavs had just kept Jason Kidd...

And I know, Kidd's older now, he's not the same player he was in 04, but damn, you don't know shit if you think Roddy/West is a better player than him...

My starting 5?

Whatever Rick thinks it should be... Hasn't RC proven that he knows what the hell he is doing? Hasn't he earned a little more than for you to whine about who is or isn't getting minutes? I think he has, certainly in my book he has...

Honestly, most of you people have either forgotten, or never really understood how and why we won it all last season....
Now, we have to put all the history behind us and focus on the future, the immediate future. We need Kidd come April-May-June, we need Kidd on a full tank of gas, his focus will be sharper, right now to him, it's preseason, he's feeling out the rest of the team, getting to know them again, learning the new guys, developing the chemistry. I'm more worried about his minutes, than whether to start him or not. RC has a habit of playing Kidd the full 1st and 3rd quarters, i think he needs to pull him with 3-4 minutes remaining and put him back with 3-4 minutes left in each half. That should limit him to about 24-26 a night. I would think he'd have a bit more in the tank come crunch time.

Here's a few more tidbits and Kidd's history. Cuban bought Mavs season tickets because of Kidd.....without Kidd, Cuban doesn't own the Mavs. Don Nelson said that he would not have traded Kidd if he was asked.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #47
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:

My starting 5?

If everyone on this team was playing like when they were in their prime, this would be one of the great teams. Unfortunately, Kidd has had to change his style of play due to his age. That style of play is far less effective than the athletic Kidd of 10 years ago.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #48
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

VC will probably play at Friday so vs. Utah:

PG: Kidd
SG: West
SF: Carter
PF: Marion
Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #49
cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Now, we have to put all the history behind us and focus on the future, the immediate future. We need Kidd come April-May-June, we need Kidd on a full tank of gas, his focus will be sharper, right now to him, it's preseason, he's feeling out the rest of the team, getting to know them again, learning the new guys, developing the chemistry. I'm more worried about his minutes, than whether to start him or not. RC has a habit of playing Kidd the full 1st and 3rd quarters, i think he needs to pull him with 3-4 minutes remaining and put him back with 3-4 minutes left in each half. That should limit him to about 24-26 a night. I would think he'd have a bit more in the tank come crunch time.

Here's a few more tidbits and Kidd's history. Cuban bought Mavs season tickets because of Kidd.....without Kidd, Cuban doesn't own the Mavs. Don Nelson said that he would not have traded Kidd if he was asked.
I think you've got a pretty good grasp on things and make some good points... I also think it could be a good idea to lessen his minutes to the 24-28 range, but for the reasons you stated, that he would be fresher in crunch time, and not because others are necessarily more deserving of those minutes...
cowboyuptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #50
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon View Post
VC will probably play at Friday so vs. Utah:

PG: Kidd
SG: West
SF: Carter
PF: Marion
Or
West
Carter
Marion
Odom
Haywood
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post

Actually Carlisle has begun to sub jkiddo out with 2-3 minutes left in the first. Im not sure about the third.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #52
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or
West
Carter
Marion
Odom
Haywood
West isn't nearly as good as you think.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #53
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
West isn't nearly as good as you think.
He is better than Kidd at this point in his career. Kidd is on his last legs. Definitely his last year imo
Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #54
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
He is better than Kidd at this point in his career. Kidd is on his last legs. Definitely his last year imo
He's definitely better athletically. But he's not nearly as good as you think. He's a very slow decision maker I think.

Last edited by dude1394; 01-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #55
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Quote:
No he isn't. West can run faster than Kidd and that's it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #56
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

PG: No Odom
SG: No Odom
SF: No Odom
C: No Odom

Bench: No Odom (Kinda Ify on the PF position)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #57
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoan-maverickII View Post

good one haha

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #58
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoan-maverickII View Post

hahahaha

anyway Kidd isn't done,i'm sure that he will play much better in PO...no doubt about this.
maybe now he could play less minutes...West and Roddy in RS are good.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #59
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon View Post
No he isn't. West can run faster than Kidd and that's it.
And shoot better, better defense, and better hustle on loose balls. Don't forget better ball handling.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #60
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And shoot better, better defense, and better hustle on loose balls. Don't forget better ball handling.
He looks a lot more like the Mavsman too.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #61
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Better ball handling my foot. I also don't believe he is a better defender, certainly not as good of a help defender. Shooter I think will even out.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #62
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Define ball handler

Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #63
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Define ball handler
Being able to drive.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #64
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Define ball handler
Easy setup.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #65
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Easy setup.
"You must spread rep..."

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-28-2012 at 02:50 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #66
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I appreciate your respect for Kidd, but at some point guys like Roddy & West are going to be better players than him. I mean, when Kidd's 45 are we still going to be talking about how it's ridiculous not to start him because he's a future HOF'er and took the Nets to the Finals twice?

Kidd still has value to this team assuming he's able to stay healthy and gets his 3-point shot back, but it's perfectly reasonable to cut back back on his minutes.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #67
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Don't forget better ball handling.
Lmao.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #68
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't forget better ball handling.
I like West, but LOL.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

West does have a very, very good handle. I'm not sure I would laugh at that notion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #70
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
West does have a very, very good handle. I'm not sure I would laugh at that notion.
His handle is quite good; Kidd's is all-time. We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #71
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
His handle is quite good; Kidd's is all-time. We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.
Well, I would say that today's version of Kidd never really has a chance to show his handle, so is it really an asset if it never contributes anything?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #72
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I would say that today's version of Kidd never really has a chance to show his handle, so is it really an asset if it never contributes anything?
Agreed. Kidd has slowed down to the point where I don't think you can really call him the better ball handler in any meaningful sense for an NBA game. I mean, the guy basically has to turn his back to shield the ball from the defender whenever he dribbles in a halfcourt set because he can't really make them pay for gambling at steals.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #73
LonghornDub

Quote:
I don't agree with this, though. I think he shows his handle all the time. If we're talking about the ability to penetrate, that's one thing, and it's clear West is stronger in that area. But as far as fluidity with the ball, being able to transition from dribbling to various stances, dribbling to passing, and general ambidexterity....I don't think West is in Kidd's class, even today.

For me, West is a guy with some nice handling skills, but Kidd is a guy who handles so naturally that it's as if the ball were an extension of his body. I consider that a separate attribute from the ability to face a guy up and penetrate (which Kidd could still do handles-wise if his body was quick enough to beat anybody).

Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #74
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I don't agree with this, though. I think he shows his handle all the time. If we're talking about the ability to penetrate, that's one thing, and it's clear West is stronger in that area. But as far as fluidity with the ball, being able to transition from dribbling to various stances, dribbling to passing, and general ambidexterity....I don't think West is in Kidd's class, even today.

For me, West is a guy with some nice handling skills, but Kidd is a guy who handles so naturally that it's as if the ball were an extension of his body. I consider that a separate attribute from the ability to face a guy up and penetrate (which Kidd could still do handles-wise if his body was quick enough to beat anybody).
Well, I would say in general when someone is discussing a handle, it has to do with their ability to handle the ball in traffic. It's what kept Finely from being a dominant shooting guard (dude couldn't drive for the life of him).

You do make a good point about Kidd's handle allowing him to make a very wide array of passes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #75
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

He hasn't displayed it much this year but generally speaking Kidd makes better decisions while handling the ball. He ain't going to put on a curly Neal display but he ain't going to get pick pocketed as often either. I trust Kidd dribbling the ball over any maverick if they have to keep the ball and make the right play.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #76
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I think he has a good handle, but he losses it in traffic a lot.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #77
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Handle<>penetration. Kidd's ball handling will be better at the age 50 than West's is now. Kidd can't penetrate because he's slow, not because his handle is any worse than it was in his prime.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 01-28-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #78
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Agreed. Kidd has slowed down to the point where I don't think you can really call him the better ball handler in any meaningful sense for an NBA game. I mean, the guy basically has to turn his back to shield the ball from the defender whenever he dribbles in a halfcourt set because he can't really make them pay for gambling at steals.
So much this. This is precisely what Kidd does at this stage. He has to turn his back to shield his defender when he get pressed. That's what poor handling PGs do. That's what Marko Jaric did his whole career. Portland actually got some careless turnovers when Kidd resorted to that in the Game 4 collapse last year.

Kidd is not a better handler than West at this stage. West has a TOV of 17% vs. Kidd's staggering 29.2%. Yes, some of that is from bad passing (another issue of concern), but some are simple handling turnovers. West has a really nice cross-over, also.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #79
SMC0007
Guru

Handles to me has more to do with controlling the ball especially on the dribble. Not what you do with it once you pick it up, whether it be to shoot, or pass. West is way more slick with the ball on the dribble than Kidd. He doesn't see the floor as well but he can handle the ball and move around so much better. Kidd is great at dribbling the ball up the floor and then picking it up to find an open guy but he rarely does anything more than that.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #80
LonghornDub

Sounds like we all just have a different view of what "handles" means. I think it encompasses a lot more than whether you can beat a guy off the dribble or whether you have to turn your back to keep space.