Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If the Knicks are trading Tyson, they're almost certainly tearing completely down in order to bottom out and rebuild around the draft and free agency. There'd be absolutely no reason for them to want Calderon in that scenario.
Trade Calderon to a 3rd team .. Some people seem to think he is in high demand
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #42
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

I don't know what team would be dumb enough to take Calderon of our hands. As has been discussed many times, the money is decent but the years are ridiculous.

Mavs have Calderon for 3 more years lol. For fucks sake
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I want absolutely no part of hibbert. I'm on record as saying that wright on Houston scares me but asik for wright makes a lot of sense for both teams IMO. Also while the money sucks for Cuban, he leaves us with more cap room(and I'd assume bird rights as long as traded in the off season)

I also really want us to keep Ellington. He's not quite Calderon as a shooter, but he is a damn good shooter and a decent defender. If they feel that Ellis can play the point, he could be a solid option 20-25 minutes a game if Rick will play him. I want Vince back if he'll come on a cheap contract and one of the good sfs and I'm happy with that lineup.

If we can get sanders for cheap, I'm all for that

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-07-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

As far as Carmelo goes...... Woj released an article some weeks ago that said Melo likes Houston and Chicago as destinations...... if he's willing to meet with Houston....... why wouldn't he meet with Dallas?? The one playoff team who could sign him outright.
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #45
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 Shoot em up View Post
As far as Carmelo goes...... Woj released an article some weeks ago that said Melo likes Houston and Chicago as destinations...... if he's willing to meet with Houston....... why wouldn't he meet with Dallas?? The one playoff team who could sign him outright.
Someone who understands cba will have to explain to me how exactly melo could end up in Houston. Obviously they'd have to trade asik, but still you have harden, Howard, and melo all making the max plus Lin who's pretty close to untradeable. I don't see anyway that works under the cap
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #46
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Someone who understands cba will have to explain to me how exactly melo could end up in Houston. Obviously they'd have to trade asik, but still you have harden, Howard, and melo all making the max plus Lin who's pretty close to untradeable. I don't see anyway that works under the cap
Maybe he'll think of his team first and take less money

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-07-2014 at 08:11 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #47
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, Erica! Must spread rep...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #48
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

I think Phil Jackson would consider making a deal with getting all our 3 draft picks. That could especially help the Knicks to move up in the draft. Also with throwing in some young assets like Wright, Larkin, Mekel, or Ellington. But this will all depend if Phil Jackson is looking for a rebuild mode.

We take the salary dump of Chandler. Then make a pitch to Carmelo teaming up with Dirk, Monta, and his teammate Chandler. It's actually realistic to think IF the knicks are going to revamp it all under Phil Jackson. For the Mavs if all that can happen has to be an all out chase for the title right away.

Last edited by yahyes; 05-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #49
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
I think Phil Jackson would consider making a deal with getting all our 3 draft picks. That could especially help the Knicks to move up in the draft. Also with throwing in some young assets like Wright, Larkin, Mekel, or Ellington. But this will all depend if Phil Jackson is looking for a rebuild mode.

We take the salary dump of Chandler. Then make a pitch to Carmelo teaming up with Dirk, Monta, and his teammate Chandler. It's actually realistic to think IF the knicks are going to revamp it all under Phil Jackson. For the Mavs if all that can happen has to be an all out chase for the title right away.
Phil Jackson not wanting a star player like Carmelo tells me all I need to know. No thanks. Continuity doesnt involve bringing in a guy like him. FO is building around the core of Dirk, Monta, Calderon.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #50
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure exactly what to think about Melo, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of how he would play with Dirk, that shouldn't be the primary outlook. They would be getting Carmelo, if at all, for life after Dirk. What he does with Dirk for these next couple years would be somewhat ancillary.

(To be clear, I'm not saying that the Mavs should or shouldn't be thinking this way. I'm saying this would be the only reason the Mavs even consider Melo. He's nowhere near ideal as an on-court Dirk partner.)

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-07-2014 at 10:59 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #51
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Could Rick retrain Melo like he did Ellis?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #52
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Could Rick retrain Melo like he did Ellis?
I don't doubt that he could, but you just can't have two of those guys on the same team and expect to win anything.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'm not sure exactly what to think about Melo, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of how he would play with Dirk, that shouldn't be the primary outlook. They would be getting Carmelo, if at all, for life after Dirk. What he does with Dirk for these next couple years would be somewhat ancillary.

(To be clear, I'm not saying that the Mavs should or shouldn't be thinking this way. I'm saying this would be the only reason the Mavs even consider Melo. He's nowhere near ideal as an on-court Dirk partner.)
So "life after Dirk" would pretty much be the same as Minny's "life after Garnett" (as in Carmello Anthony can be our empty stats All-Star equivalent of their empty stats All-Star, Kevin Love)?

Yeah, I might have to start looking into how to pass as a Heat fan in public because I'm sure as sh!t not rooting for Melo in a Mavs uniform... I want to see us try to win a ring sometime before my crotch turns gray.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-08-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #54
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So "life after Dirk" would pretty much be the same as Minny's "life after Garnett" (as in Carmello Anthony can be our empty stats All-Star equivalent of their empty stats All-Star, Kevin Love)?

Yeah, I might have to start looking into how to pass as a Heat fan in public because I'm sure as sh!t not rooting for Melo in a Mavs uniform... I want to see us try to win a ring sometime before my crotch turns gray.
If I'm thinking without my heart, I would trade Dirk for Love or Carmello yesterday. I'm certainly not going to worry about how these guys would work with Dirk.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:

You realize that melo turns 30 in 2 weeks. If you get melo, immediately after you start planning for life after dirk, you have to start planning for life after melo
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'll take either one of those "empty stats all stars" in a heartbeat. Go look at what Love's on/off court numbers look like this past season. He has some issues, sure, but he's an incredible player.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #57
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll take either one of those "empty stats all stars" in a heartbeat. Go look at what Love's on/off court numbers look like this past season. He has some issues, sure, but he's an incredible player.
W/L is all I need to see... When was the last time either of those guys got their team anywhere? All the stats in the world don't mean squat if you can't win games.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #58
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I actually think it could be worse than that, perhaps, because Kevin Love is IMO a better franchise cornerstone than Melo. And I say that even though I think Melo is a very good player.

On the other hand, the Mavs can attract better players than Minny, and Carlisle can do better things with them once they're here (due respect to Adelman). So I'm not sure it'd be quite that bad. But it certainly wouldn't be as good as the past 16 years.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-08-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #59
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Loves +- numbers are great but some of that is just awful coaching. The reason his numbers(and steph currys) are that great is because they play hardly any time with the bench. It's great for your stars numbers, but bad for the team. That's actually one of the reasons dirks plus minus numbers while nowhere near as good as theirs, are equally impressive.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #60
LonghornDub

Quote:
You realize that melo turns 30 in 2 weeks. If you get melo, immediately after you start planning for life after dirk, you have to start planning for life after melo
I do realize that. I also realize that there's no <30 year old superstar available right now.

(Until, of course, the Mavs get KD in two years.)

Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #61
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I do realize that. I also realize that there's no <30 year old superstar available right now.

(Until, of course, the Mavs get KD in two years.)
I'm not against getting melo, I'm just saying if you get him, you are getting him to try to win in the next two years... Because after that it's highly unlikely dirk is still "dirk" and melo is then as old as dirk was after the title. Which i have no problem with, I just disagree on the reasoning. And unlike some others I actually see melo as a great fit here. I know he shoots a lot but he also can create his own shot, knock down open 3s( or space the floor when he doesn't have the ball) and he rebounds like a monster for a 3. He's also a better defender than he gets credit for when he wants to be. He's nowhere near prime matrix defensively, but I don't think he'd be a huge(if any) step down from the corpse of Shawn that played this year defensively and he might actually be a net improvement considering he wouldn't be asked to do as many things that he's not capable of doing.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #62
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
W/L is all I need to see... When was the last time either of those guys got their team anywhere? All the stats in the world don't mean squat if you can't win games.
Love has never had a good enough supporting cast, especially with the West how it has been for the last five years, to make the playoffs. This year they were close, but even then, they were missing Pekovic for almost half the season and their only 3pt weapon off the bench, Budinger, was either injured or terrible all year.

Long story short, I put zero blame on Love for his team missing the playoffs. If you put him on this year's Mavs team instead of Dirk, they might actually be even better.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #63
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Love has never had a good enough supporting cast, especially with the West how it has been for the last five years, to make the playoffs. This year they were close, but even then, they were missing Pekovic for almost half the season and their only 3pt weapon off the bench, Budinger, was either injured or terrible all year.

Long story short, I put zero blame on Love for his team missing the playoffs. If you put him on this year's Mavs team instead of Dirk, they might actually be even better.
Don't try your rational arguments on me... Ain't nobody got time for that!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #64
spreedom
Diamond Member

One thing that just occurred to me about Sanders... the Bucks could really use a PG like Calderon....
Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #65
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Don't try your rational arguments on me... Ain't nobody got time for that!
It's not really all that valid though. Pek, Rubio, Martin, brewer and filler isn't that awful.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #66
LonghornDub

Quote:
I'm not against getting melo, I'm just saying if you get him, you are getting him to try to win in the next two years... Because after that it's highly unlikely dirk is still "dirk" and melo is then as old as dirk was after the title. Which i have no problem with, I just disagree on the reasoning. And unlike some others I actually see melo as a great fit here. I know he shoots a lot but he also can create his own shot, knock down open 3s( or space the floor when he doesn't have the ball) and he rebounds like a monster for a 3. He's also a better defender than he gets credit for when he wants to be. He's nowhere near prime matrix defensively, but I don't think he'd be a huge(if any) step down from the corpse of Shawn that played this year defensively and he might actually be a net improvement considering he wouldn't be asked to do as many things that he's not capable of doing.
I actually agree that Melo isn't an awful fit. Very good players are rarely "awful fits" in any situation. I think he's "less than ideal" to pair with Dirk, but that's a completely relative thing. "Ideal" is a mobile defensive center, a three-and-D SF, a excellent passing PG with defensive tenacity, etc.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #67
Five-ofan
Guru

For those of you who tout loves plus minus understand that he played 2.6 percent of his minutes this year with less than 2 other starters with him. Dirk on the other hand played 20.7 percent of his minutes with less than 2 other starters. Thats not his fault(he doesn't set the rotation) but using a star to prop up bench units by himself also hurts that stars plus minus numbers.

Also on melo for what it's worth, he had a bigger positive effect on the Knicks d then chandler did. The more I think about it/look into, the more it makes sense. He also can obviously play small ball 4 when dirk is on the bench. One of our huge problems this year is we had too many minutes when we basically had no strengths. With melo Its easier to stagger the minutes to where we always have at least 1 if not two star scorers on the floor plus where we always have at least 1 of shooting or size/rebounding.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #68
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Wait people really think Kevin Love is an empty stats player? Look at how crazy his on/off numbers are with Minny, are you really blaming him for not bringing Minny to the playoffs in a loaded west when all of their wings basically suck and they had a crappy bench?

Melo absolutely cannot do it alone, he isn't a top 10 player plain and simple, but if you get the right guys around him he is effective. Melo still holds the ball too much but he has really become a lethal catch and shoot guy, with Dirk, Monta's penetration, he would get more chances to be that guy.

The main issue with bringing Melo is that he is much better defensively at the 4 than the 3.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #69
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I would prefer Bosh to Melo honestly tho, I don't understand why the Mavs do not want Bosh, his pick n roll defense is amazing (one of the best in the league), he is a great offensive player and he is a very smart defender, Miami's actually made him into a good defender. Still he wouldn't leave Miami so I can't be too upset
Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #70
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Wait people really think Kevin Love is an empty stats player? Look at how crazy his on/off numbers are with Minny, are you really blaming him for not bringing Minny to the playoffs in a loaded west when all of their wings basically suck and they had a crappy bench?

Melo absolutely cannot do it alone, he isn't a top 10 player plain and simple, but if you get the right guys around him he is effective. Melo still holds the ball too much but he has really become a lethal catch and shoot guy, with Dirk, Monta's penetration, he would get more chances to be that guy.

The main issue with bringing Melo is that he is much better defensively at the 4 than the 3.
Melo is a better player than love.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #71
mavs777
Diamond Member

At the end of day here would be my FA list (I'm including everyone even guys I think we have no shot at)

1. Lebron
2. Bosh
3. Melo
4. Lowry
5. Gortat
6. IT2 (but only if you can work out sign and trade as they will match and no need to waste time)
7. Hayward (same as IT2)
8. Deng
9. Ariza
10. Patterson (would be really good backup to dirk)

Guys I don't want under any circumstance: Lance, Rudy, Monroe
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #72
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Melo is a better player than love.
The gap is huge. Love is a much better rebounder, low post scorer, finisher, he doesn't dumb mid range shots. Melo might be slightly better catch and shoot and that is all.

Last edited by mavs777; 05-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #73
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The gap is huge. Love is a much better rebounder, low post scorer, finisher, he doesn't dumb mid range shots. Melo might be slightly better catch and shoot and that is all.
Since when does love have a better post game than melo??? Since when is he a better finisher? You know what their shooting %s were last year? .457/.376/.821 for love, .452/.402/.848 for melo. Considering love is so much better from everywhere than melo that seems odd when you also remember that love basically played ALL of his minutes with starters.

Melo is a better defender(at the 4 too) better shooter, better shot creator, and an equivalent rebounder relative to position. Melo is a better player. Melo has also had success as the
Man. Love? Not so much.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #74
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Love is stat padder who does not want to block shots. Instead he tries to get the rebound even if he has a chance to alter the shot.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #75
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Since when does love have a better post game than melo??? Since when is he a better finisher? You know what their shooting %s were last year? .457/.376/.821 for love, .452/.402/.848 for melo. Considering love is so much better from everywhere than melo that seems odd when you also remember that love basically played ALL of his minutes with starters.

Melo is a better defender(at the 4 too) better shooter, better shot creator, and an equivalent rebounder relative to position. Melo is a better player. Melo has also had success as the
Man. Love? Not so much.
Agree with all of this. If Melo wants to come here you make it work. Salary, spacing, all of it
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #76
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Maybe he'll think of his team first and take less money

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 05-08-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #77
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For those of you who tout loves plus minus understand that he played 2.6 percent of his minutes this year with less than 2 other starters with him. Dirk on the other hand played 20.7 percent of his minutes with less than 2 other starters. Thats not his fault(he doesn't set the rotation) but using a star to prop up bench units by himself also hurts that stars plus minus numbers.
I'm not sure I agree that it hurts the plus minus numbers, because the way Rick adjusts his lineup to get Dirk time with the bench means he's also playing against bench players from the other team. That second lineup with Dirk did a ton of heavy lifting for this team. Meanwhile, the four other starters always have to finish the rest of the first and third quarters without Dirk against the starts from the other team.

There's a reason Wright/Crowder/Devin/Crowder have some of the best net +/-'s on the team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-08-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #78
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's not really all that valid though. Pek, Rubio, Martin, brewer and filler isn't that awful.
True. Love's stats are amazing, but I'm not sure if he has that killer instinct which is needed to go deep into the playoffs, yet alone to win the title. Sure, he hasn't played a playoff game yet, but I'm not that sure if he has what it takes. He's still young though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #79
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Quote:

Man. Love? Not so much.
Love doesn't play any defense. Instead of going for the block he tries to position himself for the defensive rebound, no matter if he opens a straight line to the cup for the attacking player.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #80
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

It's not like the Wolves were terrible this year. They got incredibly unlucky in close games and they were being coached by a guy with one foot out the door.

Their starting does have talent, and coincidentally their starting lineup performed pretty well. It was their bench that absolutely destroyed them, based on my understanding.

I think Love has warts of his own (he absolutely obsesses too much on his rebounds) but I'll gladly take either Love or Melo on this team in a heartbeat.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-08-2014 at 02:26 PM.