Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #41
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I think we're capabale of beating any team in a series except for Golden State.
But every team in the West is just as capable of beating us.
I agree with Party that Portland is the team I hope we get.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #42
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Portland/Houston is our only chance but that means getting and retaining the 6 seed. We'll get destroyed by 1 or 2 seed.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #43
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

We don't want Portland. Aldridge would kill us. Definitely Houston would be easiest.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #44
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if we can beat any of the other WC teams in the playoffs right now. We really have to get better soon.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #45
Helicopter34

Helicopter34 is on a distinguished road

I would prefer to play Memphis first, then Houston, and then Portland. I'm considering the teams we can most likely split two road games with.
Helicopter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #46
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter34 View Post
I would prefer to play Memphis first, then Houston, and then Portland. I'm considering the teams we can most likely split two road games with.
I think Houston is a pretty good matchup for this Mavs team, we played well in in the 3 regular season games (won the last one, shouldve won the first and the 2nd was pretty close too). Without back to backs (which all our regular games against Houston happen to be...), with Harden probably not getting every ridiculous call in the post season and a D-League level coach in McHale competing against the best coach not named Popovich, I'm pretty confident we can beat the Rockettes in no more than 6 games.

Memphis could be pretty tough, but as someone already pointed out their games are usually close and with our new center-rotation we have much better chances than during the first games of the season, Wright and Smith looked like amateurs against the Memphis bigs, Stoudemire and even Sarge should do much better (if needed, not sure how much time hed play in the playoffs).

Only team Id actually like to avoid in the first round are the Warriors, dont have to worry about Spurs and OKC in the 1st round anyway. If this team can build some chemistry and Dirk gets out his slump, I like our chances against almost every team. This year it seems like any team in the west has a chance to advance against anybody.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #47
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilease View Post
If this team can build some chemistry and Dirk gets out his slump, I like our chances against almost every team.

I think you might want to sit down. I've got some news for you that you may find uncomfortable....
Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #48
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I think you might want to sit down. I've got some news for you that you may find uncomfortable....
Im guessing you mean his play fits his age right now? I dont think so. Hes averaging like 12 points over the last 4 weeks, you cant tell me that from last season until now (or from the first 2 months of the season until now) he aged so much, his average dropped almost 10 points.

This month he's shooting 37% so far, last month he shot 28% from 3. Thats not age, because nobody ages so much from one season to the next. Or one month. Its a shooting slump. Sure, the vintage Dirk is gone, but hes still better than his recent games. 4 points against Atlanta in 25 minutes, only 2 made field goals. Dont think Dirk is so bad that this is the play we can expect from him, or need in the playoffs.

Games in march:
5-12
5-16
5-13
5-13
He hasnt made more than 5 Field Goals this month, and it doesnt matter how many attempts he takes. Even his rebounding has dropped 30% during these games. Im totally fine with his season average of around 18ppg, but recently he isnt even close to that (and his recent shooting isnt helping).

Last edited by bilease; 03-10-2015 at 05:54 AM.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #49
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I think Dirk is just tired.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #50
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

I'd have more faith in Dirk coming into these playoffs if he hadn't put up a stinker in last year's playoffs. This isn't the Dirk that can just turn it on and off anymore.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #51
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
I think Dirk is just tired.
You can really notice this with the defensive lapses. But hey, Dirk is a geezer by NBA standards and has had to carry multiple Mav teams on his back. I'm just happy we have a team now that doesn't rely so heavily on him.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #52
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if all of the teams in the WC are wanting to play the Mavs the first round based on our lack of success in the west this year.
Being the least feared team in the POs might be to our advantage.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #53
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a lot of teams wanted us back in 2011 ;-)
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #54
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

How can we even be sure this team is going to make the playoffs?
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #55
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
How can we even be sure this team is going to make the playoffs?
Statistically looks unlikely that we could miss the playoffs, but I suppose it's possible.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #56
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Right now, we're closer to the 3 seed (3 games) than we are the 8 seed (4 1/2 games).

As bad as it's been, we're still in a good spot. We just have to find a way to sort our problems out sooner than later.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #57
Romus

Romus is infamous around these partsRomus is infamous around these parts

We must be no pessimism, we made the PO.
It's the taking part that counts
Romus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #58
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter34 View Post
Memphis is a bad matchup because of their elite frontcourt. And they are able to play gritty playoff defense.

Houston and Portland are our best matchups by far.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #59
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

1. Portland - Chandler defending Aldridge and contesting every single shot gives us our best chance.
2. Memphis - Gasol/Zbo will be unstoppable with Dirk having to guard either one now.
3. Houston - They are very beatable but I just don't want to watch a series of Harden flopping and going to the line 25+ times.
4. Warriors - When is the draft?
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #60
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Damn...watching the Spurs take care of the Cavs.

Mavs need to learn something from the Spurs because our only chance of any success is to play within a system as a team considering we don't have a superstar.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-12-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #61
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Wow...posted too soon.
Irving is unbelievable...just tied it at the buzzer.

Common Cavs...
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #62
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Love this time of year...other games are actually fun to watch because they have a lot of meaning for the Mavs.
Really need Cavs to pull this one out.

Sorry if I'm making this thread into Cavs/Spurs game thread but this is a hell of a game to watch.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #63
rimrocker
Diamond Member

51 for Kyrie so far...dude is taking over and unbelievable.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #64
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Good God...55 for Irving.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #65
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Yes...Cavs by 5 with 33 seconds left.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #66
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Ok...win tomorrow night puts us back to 6 and close to 5.
Need to put it together tomorrow night.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-12-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 AM   #67
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to wake up to finding out - Rockets, Grizzlies, Spurs all lost.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #68
Twenty4sevenn

We're now tied for 6th seed.

We're 4 1/2 games from 2nd in the West.
We're 4 1/2 games from 8th in the West.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #69
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Playoff implication games today: HOU vs LAC and POR vs TOR.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #70
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavzzz View Post
We have to avoid the 7th and 8th seeds. Gotta do whatever it takes to face either Portland or Houston
Schedule is too difficult. Think Spurs get 6th seed unless we sweep them.

Thunder
Grizz
Suns
Spurs
Spurs
Pacers
Thunder
Rockets
Warriors
Suns
Nuggets
Lakers
Jazz
Warriors

I see one gimme in there (lakers). The rest just hope to go .500 against the rest of that schedule.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #71
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I see one gimme in there (lakers). The rest just hope to go .500 against the rest of that schedule.
Suns-Nugs-Lakers-Jazz should be an easy stretch - no reason we can't take all four in a row.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #72
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Suns-Nugs-Lakers-Jazz should be an easy stretch - no reason we can't take all four in a row.
And warriors may be "resting" the last game if they have the #1 locked up. Have no idea how Kerr will handle that situation.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #73
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Jazz have the best record since the All-Star break. The team can't sleep on them even the least. Check this out:

Jazz NBA ranks (per gm) since All-Star

#1 DefRtg
#1 REB%
#1 PIE
#1 BLK
#1 Opp FGM
#1 Opp 3PT%
#1 Opp DREB
#1 Opp REB
#1 Opp BLKA
#1 Opp PTS

Rudy Gobert last 10 games.... points, rebounds, blocks
vs DET - 10-19-2
vs HOU - 19-22-4
vs NYK - 10-14-4
vs BKN - 4-11-2 (5 assists as well)
vs PHI - 9-15-2
vs BOS - 10-16-3
vs MEM - 15-24-0
vs MIL - 12-10-3
vs DEN - 10-8-6
vs LAL - 16-14-3

Dude is LEGIT.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #74
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Suns are scrapping just like us. You cant sleep on the Nuggets. They just beat Hawks, Warriors(rest), and Pelicans in double OT. Jazz have the best record in the West since the Allstar break. Just saying you cant sleep on these teams. They should win them all, but I wouldnt be surprised if they dropped one or two of those.

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-16-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #75
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
Jazz have the best record since the All-Star break. The team can't sleep on them even the least. Check this out:

Jazz NBA ranks (per gm) since All-Star

#1 DefRtg
#1 REB%
#1 PIE
#1 BLK
#1 Opp FGM
#1 Opp 3PT%
#1 Opp DREB
#1 Opp REB
#1 Opp BLKA
#1 Opp PTS

Rudy Gobert last 10 games.... points, rebounds, blocks
vs DET - 10-19-2
vs HOU - 19-22-4
vs NYK - 10-14-4
vs BKN - 4-11-2 (5 assists as well)
vs PHI - 9-15-2
vs BOS - 10-16-3
vs MEM - 15-24-0
vs MIL - 12-10-3
vs DEN - 10-8-6
vs LAL - 16-14-3

Dude is LEGIT.
What I see are some great stats against the absolute worst teams in the league... That might also explain why the Jazz are on a tear.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #76
rimrocker
Diamond Member

GSW has a huge advantage (they created for themselves) by being able to coast into the POs while the rest of us will be in a dog fight for position or to even make it in.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #77
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The East is CRAZY right now. 4 teams within a half game for the final two playoff spots
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #78
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

going to be interesting to see tie-breakers come into play
Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #79
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What I see are some great stats against the absolute worst teams in the league... That might also explain why the Jazz are on a tear.
I think you're under selling how well they are playing right now. Will be a tough team to beat and a good test against a good defensive team.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #80
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
I think you're under selling how well they are playing right now. Will be a tough team to beat and a good test against a good defensive team.
After the last two games, forgive me if I'm not exactly shaking in my boots about playing against the Utah freaking Jazz.