Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #41
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Saw Cleveland play for a stretch
does he look like someone who can contribute?
seems like another body without much else - did knock down at least one wide open 3.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #42
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the question. When you said,"Like, are you really taking the rest of this season seriously? No matter who wins, it's a giant asterisk," you seem to be saying that no basketball fan should take it seriously. Is that what you're saying, or are you only saying that we Mavs fans shouldn't take it seriously, because the team isn't a title contender? Because I agree with the second part. I'm not sweating wins or losses. I figure the best case scenario for the Mavs is moving up a spot or two in the seeding and draw someone other than the Clippers, and then maybe have a shot of getting out of the first round. If we end up drawing the Clippers, we'll be lucky to win a game. Either way, the only thing I'm really hoping for is to see Luka and KP play well together and give us something to be encouraged about in the years ahead.

But I don't believe that the season has an asterisk "no matter who wins." People have said that about lockout-shortened seasons too, and I don't believe that either. The consensus from people who have actually played those seasons is that the physical grind of a shortened season is harder, not easier than normal seasons, due to the condensed schedule. And people are inevitably out of shape due to the extended rest. Even for the players who train 8 hours a day, no amount of training can substitute for actual NBA competition.

I feel like a lot of people are already using the "asterisk" argument as a pre-emptive way to write off Lebron's 4th title if the Lakers win. Again, I don't buy it. If anything, if the Lakers win, I think the bizarre circumstances make it more impressive, not less. There's a media narrative about Lebron being more dangerous because he's so well-rested. However, it's generally agreed that shortened seasons are actually a huge disadvantage for older players, for all the same reasons I listed above.

And if the Bucks win, and Giannis gets his first title and finals MVP- would that make him any less of a champion? Or if Kawhi wins his third finals MVP, should it only say two-and-half on his resume? I certainly don't think so. The way I see it, the setting might be very different, but the championship picture looks exactly the same as it did before the pandemic. It was the three team race between the Bucks, Clippers, and Lakers before the season stopped, and it remains so now.

I don't believe in asterisks, so long as everyone is playing by the same rules, under the same circumstances. An asterisk to me is only merited when one side has an unfair advantage over the other. In my life as an NBA fan, I feel like the only championship that should have an asterisk is the 2006 Heat. For obvious reasons.
Yeah. No one around Mavsland wants to hear about asterisks of they won it all. Which they won't. Not taking this seriously is a cheap out imo. If any key players on any team had this happen during the playoffs it would be highly criticized and rightfully so. Luckily it was a scrimmage game and a mistake but it can't happen going forward.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #43
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Saw Cleveland play for a stretch
does he look like someone who can contribute?
seems like another body without much else - did knock down at least one wide open 3.
Not really. Any positives he provides is a bonus imo.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote