Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-04-2002, 12:51 AM   #41
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Fine Cuban Cigar is right, you can't draft out of necessity with your first round pick, you just can't. You have to take the best player, unless you are loaded at that position. Even though WR isn't a huge need, I'd still be awfully tempted to nab Charles Rogers or Roy Williams if they were sitting there. Would you pass on Randy Moss minus the attitude? I couldn't which is why I really want these two.

But I really want a running back that is a star. I have fallen in love with LT after watching him carry the Chargers week after week, and if we could find an LT-like back, we gotta take him. That could be the missing link in my opinion if Hutch pans out. Then we are set at offense With Hutch at QB (hypothetically assuming he turns into a good QB), Star RB, Bryant, Galloway, and Rocket. The only question mark would be line, but hopefully we address that need in the offseason. I don't want a serviceable running back, I want a star like Tomlison, who can carry a team. Look at the past 5 Super Bowl winners (and also who they played against) and who they had at RB:
*1998 - Denver - Terrell Davis vs. Packers - Levens ?
*1999 - Denver - Terrell Davis vs. Atlanta - Jamaal Anderson
*2000 - Rams - Marshall Faulk vs. Tennessee - Eddie George
*2001 - Ravens - Jamal Lewis vs. NY Giants - Thunder & Lightning (mostly Barber)
*2002 - New England - Antowain Smith vs. St. Louis - Faulk

6 out of these 10 teams had Star running backs. Another Baltimore, had a borderline star (this is debatable, although IMO Lewis would be in the star category that year). The other 3 had very good running backs, although not quite stars. My point is everyone says you must have a QB to be a Super Bowl team. Well, I think a star running back is just as important. The best chance you have of getting one is in the first round. Sure you can get lucky and hit a home run and select one in the the 4-6 rounds every once in a while. But you can also get lucky with the QB position from this aspect. I think we might have our QB anyway. I don't think Hambrick is going to be anywhere near the 10 guys listed above. This is why I say we need to go into the draft looking for an RB. However, like I stated earlier, we shouldn't reach for one just so we can have an RB. But if the star running back is there, we HAVE TO snatch him up.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2002, 09:51 PM   #42
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

So you guys mean to tell me if you see a stud offensive lineman who could contribute but there is a stud Reciever or safety you are going to pass them up and go get that safety or reciever? I have to disagree. Yes this is exactly what JJ did with Ellis but if you ask me Ellis looks to be coming along pretty well in my eyes. Right now JJ needs some offensive linemen and I think that comes first before any position. Lets say we do get a couple of studs out of the draft why whould we have a stud backup a Roy Williams or a Dexter Coakley? Or why should we have a stud backup Darren Woodson? Hardy? Glover? Nguyen? It just makes no sense to be drafting backups when you have stronger needs. Anything we draft on the offensive side we can benefit from but I have to disagree with drafting the best player available especially if it is not one of our most important needs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:10 AM   #43
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, Filthy Fin, if you have an offensive lineman (tackle especially) that you like and he is as rated the same as Player A - Safety and Player - B - Wide Receiver, you take the offensive lineman without question. But this year I see two incredible Wide Receivers coming out, and I wouldn't want to pass them up for a lesser offensive lineman just because that is a need. If there is a stud offensive lineman out there as good as Roy Williams or Charles Rogers, then I take him without question. I don't really know if there is or not since I don't call myself an expert on offensive linemen. If there are no linemen as good as these receivers, then I take the one of the receivers without question.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-05-2002, 07:20 AM   #44
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

This is Jerry's main weakness as a GM. The Cowboys spend countless hours assembling a draft board and Jerry ignores it on draft day. ARGH!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:34 PM   #45
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

although there are some great recievers coming out, I'd rather see a RB or OLineman picked 1st. Dallas could get a good WR in the 2nd or 3rd round a lot easier than a OL or especially a RB. And although they might pick a WR, it's not a huge need. If Smith leaves then Dallas needs are:
1. RB
2. OL
3. TE
4.& 5. WR or CB
6. LB (depth)

The only thing that should be taken out of order is if a good pass rushing end is available.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:03 PM   #46
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

The point is we need help in all positions with the possible exception of WR. Darren Woodson is awsome, but he is also old and that doesn't make the safety position exempt. Hambrick deserves a shot after averaging 5 yards per carry for 2 years, but if a stud running back is the next best player we should pick him without question, we need a star at virually ANY position (perferably on offense), but it doesn't really matter. We should be picking in the top 8 and when we pick that high Jerry has shown the uncanny knack not to get top 8 talent.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:37 PM   #47
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Let's add QB to that list after today. Carson Palmer or Byron Leftwich would be nice right about now.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-15-2002, 08:27 PM   #48
Super Slow Mo

Super Slow Mo is on a distinguished road

anybody but cspare
Super Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:34 PM   #49
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

After what 7 games? I have seen enough of Hutch and already know his weaknesses which were the same as his weaknesses as a picture for the Cards. Under pressure he is a goner. Is anyone else not seeing what I see in Michael Wiley? I think he has played better then Hambrick this season. WHen I evaluate Hambrick I look and see does he have a impact at the running back position like Vick has at the qb position were you can easily say he is your franchise player. I am not saying Wiley is but when I evaluate Hambrick I see Wiley playing better then him right now. I actually wouldn't be upset with having Wiley and Hambrick as our backs at the start of next season. But what I don't want to see is this bullshit we are having with the qb's.

And oh yea Coslet has got to go. ANY COORDINATOR WHO LIKES TO TELL THERE QBS TO RUN 2 YARD THROWS ON A 3rd and 15 HAS GOT TO BE THA DUMBEST ASSHOLE ON THE COWBOYS AND THAT IS REAL HARD TO DO!!! WE MIGHT AS WELL LET EMMITT TAKE HIS JOB!!!!

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:23 AM   #50
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Not three things one thing BAP. Best Available player that is the formula for a good draft. This team has a lot of offensive holes, and this team just doesn't need to reach.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:30 AM   #51
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Well, Roy Williams said that he is returning to Texas for another year so I don't really have as strong a desire for a WR right now. QB would be nice to have, though. But we have to go now with the best player available.

Filthy Fin, I kind of agree with you on Wiley. I have thought for a couple of years now that Wiley was a good little back. I am not sure if he'll ever be starter material, but I do like what I have seen from him this season. He is a really good pass catching RB.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson