Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-19-2001, 09:22 AM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

as a team, the mavs do a very poor job of passing out of double teams
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2001, 09:24 AM   #42
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we need to hire another assistant coach. One that works on passing drills primarily.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 08:57 AM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that might be a good idea
the mavs need to have a coach that teaches against the turnaround fadeaway 18 foot jumper
Old 05-21-2001, 02:04 AM   #44
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

HAHAHA yeah that's a good point
Old 05-21-2001, 09:10 AM   #45
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I take it everyone wants the mavs to corner the market on assistant coaches, don't we have like 7 of them all ready?
Old 05-21-2001, 09:31 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

the mavs also need a dribbling/ball handling coach for michael finley.
the mavs need avoidance of flying elbows coach for dirk.
yeah, cuban has enough money, whatever we need, just hire a coach
Old 05-21-2001, 04:37 PM   #47
TheKid
Diamond Member

I don't think the Mavs need to hire additional coaches for those two, that's the responsibility of theirs to work in the off season on their weaknesses.
Old 05-21-2001, 04:55 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

the kid, we were being a bit sarcastic for the past few posts...
Old 05-24-2001, 10:49 AM   #49
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Norm was talking about Dirk on the radio this morning. There is an article in the ESPN magazine where they rank clutch shooters. A clutch shot was defined to be in the last few minutes of a close game or in overtime. Dirk was 50% from the field and almost 50% from 3 point land. FREAKING AMAZING!
Old 05-24-2001, 12:33 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

that is amazing, but i'm not sure it's ok for you to be speaking positively about dirk in crunch time. we all know that's not allowed
Old 05-24-2001, 12:45 PM   #51
TheKid
Diamond Member

says who?
Old 05-24-2001, 01:36 PM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

you, usually
Old 05-24-2001, 02:14 PM   #53
TheKid
Diamond Member

Whatever...
Old 05-24-2001, 03:13 PM   #54
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I can maybe see the 50% from the field but have a hard time believing the almost 50% from 3 point land. I will have to go back and check some box scores but Dirk was horrific from down town late in the season and into the playoffs.

Does the magazine have some statistics written down or just the % written down?
Old 05-24-2001, 03:23 PM   #55
MFFL
Guru

The full stats are in the magazine. I was driving so I couldn't write down the stats but I believe Dirk was 20 for 40 in the clutch. He was 8 for 17 for three. Finley hit about 33%.
Old 05-24-2001, 03:32 PM   #56
TheKid
Diamond Member

Did he really shoot that many?? That surprises me more than the average. I could believe he shot 50% from both because I was thinking he didn't get that many attempts, so that wasn't hard to believe, but 40 attempts for buzzer beaters?? Interesting.
Old 05-24-2001, 03:39 PM   #57
MFFL
Guru

Not buzzer beaters - clutch shots. A clutch shot was defined to be in the last few minutes of a close game or in overtime.
Old 05-24-2001, 03:58 PM   #58
TheKid
Diamond Member

oh ok, I still didn't know it was that many. Oh well, it's not a bad thing, definately a good thing.
Old 05-24-2001, 03:59 PM   #59
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people here realize how special of a talent Dirk is--or will be, even us Finley lovers. The problem I think we (finley fanatics) have is how Dirk fanatics think Fin should just take a step back next season and let Dirk take over. I think were waiting to see how Dirk progresses/responds next season and see what change should be made. Let me make it clear, I don't have a problem with Fin being the 2nd option to Dirk, but it's the attitude I pick up from Dirk fanatics that aren't appreciating what Fin has done for us and should just step aside because better talent has arrived. I may have misread into some posts and Im not trying to be a smart ass or whatever so don't come back saying how stupid I am, etc...

The problem I have with Dirk's game 5 against SA--yes, it was an awesome performance--was that he was struggling just like the rest of the team before that game. Murph always points out to some of us how we use 1-2-or-3 games to make a point and I feel that is what some are doing here with Dirk's game 5 performance.

Dirk's stats for the SA series

39.4 minutes
115 pts (23)
37-83 fg (44.5%)
1-11 3-pt (.09%)
40-46 ft (86.9%)
43 rebounds (8.6)

Dirk didn't have a turnover problem so I didn't figure them in, steals I didn't count but he did have those 6 in game 5. He didn't register with blocks and fouls weren't an issue like in Utah. I see those stats and I think Dirk stepped up for this series (excluding from down town)but in reality his game 5 boosted those statistics.

Here's his stats before game 5, SA series only:

37.5 minutes
73 pts (18.2)
23-59 fg (38.9%)
1-10 3-pt (.01%)
26-28 ft (92.8%)
25 rebounds (6.2)

Other than his ft%, is there anything that's really that impressing? I know you can come back and say well if he shot the ball as many times as Finley (who sucked the entire series, not just game 5-at least he was consistant) he would of faired better, which I think is a total assumption.

Old 05-24-2001, 04:17 PM   #60
TheKid
Diamond Member

"Fin sucked the entire series, atleast he was consistent".

lol
Old 05-24-2001, 04:25 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

i don't think fin steps back next year, i think dirk just naturally takes
2-3 more shots a game, and averages 2-3 more points a game, and finley still gets his shots, and they're a deadly 1-2 punch.
not like fin has to say, "here dirk, it's your team now".
no, that's not the case. dirk will simply get a few more shots next year, that's it, finley will probably get pretty much the same amount of shots. not a big deal, dirk is just going to average a couple of more points per game than fin in all likeliness.

nothing wrong with having two guys playing at an all-star level, maybe even three with nash

and yes, everyone pretty much struggled at times throughout the playoffs, dirk is no exception, nash isn't either, and neither is fin. i'm not basing dirk's production next year off of just a handfull of games, nor am i saying that fin will tank next year based on a 1-17 performance. that's not the case, you have to base it over an extended amount of time and notice the trends that occur throughout a long season.
dirk will improve more this offseason than he has since he's been in the nba, trust me on that one. he sees how close he is to being an elite player, and he has the talent. he will take the next step this year
Old 05-24-2001, 04:41 PM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

not to be picky, mavsfan, but 1-11 from three is 9%, not .09%
Old 05-24-2001, 04:46 PM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

mavsfanfinley,
in all fairness, dirk couldn't walk the morning he woke up for game one, and was questionable to whether or not he'd play.
game 2, he was still hobbled by his heel
game 3, food poisoning,
game 4, he had a really good game in game four, and lost a tooth and broke some more along the way, what did he have, 5 bridges and 2 crowns after the game.
game 5, awesome game

not to make excuses, but pretty much anyone would have struggled under those conditions
Old 05-24-2001, 04:48 PM   #64
MavsFanFinley
Guru

LOL Big Boy. Oops my typo [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2001, 04:53 PM   #65
Murphy3
Guru

mavsfanfinley, please, please don't let it happen again.
that's the kinda thing that we just can't have anymore on this board. see that you don't do it again
Old 05-24-2001, 04:56 PM   #66
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

see, lamo would have appreciated my observation. he's a stats freak...

i think mavsfan knows i was just messing with her... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2001, 05:00 PM   #67
Murphy3
Guru

it's just too bad that lamoo is no longer with us, because i'm sure he would have appreciated that big boy. good point
Old 05-24-2001, 05:01 PM   #68
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

is he really gone... hmmmmm.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2001, 05:03 PM   #69
TheKid
Diamond Member

Now THAT's and LOL Murph....

You're entire post then you say, "not to make excuses". That's hilarious.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:05 PM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

hey, thekid, things like that are going to have a negative impact on a players performance, without a doubt.
he still should have played better though, but do give him a little slack
Old 05-24-2001, 05:19 PM   #71
MavsFanFinley
Guru

LOL, big boy. No offense was taken. Not on something like that.

I do take offense when someone says I have no opinion, but that guy is gone and we haven't had too much trouble around here.

An ear infection is a bitch. I would rather have a quesy stomach, at least you can have fluids injected, an ear infection you just have to hope the anitbiotics kick in quickly.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:25 PM   #72
TheKid
Diamond Member

Murph, I actually said in a post a long time ago that the food poising, I EXPECTED him to have a bad game if he played or not. I didn't expect him to play well anyway. So I understand, I was laughing more at your post than anything else.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:51 PM   #73
Murphy3
Guru

not a prob kid,
and mavsfanvinley, what did you stick in your ear to get it infected to begin with?
whatever it was, i wouldn't try it again
Old 05-25-2001, 11:10 AM   #74
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

Dirk IS DALLAS MAVERICKS BASKETBALL. michael who?
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 11:25 AM   #75
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well hello Lam, good to see you!
Old 05-25-2001, 12:12 PM   #76
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

LAMO do you have to ruin every single post?
Old 05-25-2001, 08:46 PM   #77
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

LAM if you follow Dallas before they started winning you'd know that Finley is Dallas Mavericks basketball.
Old 05-26-2001, 09:56 PM   #78
MFFL
Guru

Has anyone bought the ESPN magazine yet to verify the stats on Dirk's clutch shooting? I tried but couldn't find the mag today.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:41 AM   #79
Murphy3
Guru

you were pretty much right on mffl, i'll check it out again later today.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:58 PM   #80
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I have followed this board for a while and it is blatantly obvious that Lam and Murph are the same person.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk