Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-20-2003, 11:33 PM   #41
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< to be honest.. a big player is just more valuable than a 2 guard...

value is relative
what do the mavs need?..what do the mavs have that is most expendable?
>>

What Big player are you referring to? I know it isn't a All Star so check that off. Not a Superstar so check that off. That leaves a role player or a bust.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm referring to two players of similar stats...
say..a big man that averages:
18 points, 9 rebounds

compared to a 2 guard that averages
20 points, 4 boards and assists..

just in general.

and i agree bayliss...nothing will happen until nellie learns how not to play under dog ball
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:42 PM   #43
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< i'm referring to two players of similar stats...
say..a big man that averages:
18 points, 9 rebounds

compared to a 2 guard that averages
20 points, 4 boards and assists..

just in general.

and i agree bayliss...nothing will happen until nellie learns how not to play under dog ball
>>

Hmm Sounds like you want Elton Brand.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:52 AM   #44
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Rig is here for depth. He plays SG/SF. The Mavs are set at PG with Nash/NVE and at PF with Dirk and SG with Fin. Bradley and Raef man the center spot. At SF, in the off-season, the Mavs were trying for Rashard, a SF, and the dude from the Bucks that would have either played SG or SF. Griff's back is a question mark due to his surgery and Najera is a PF and has been injured. The Kings bench is better and Nellie wanted to improve the bench. That's why Rig is a Mav. I heard Nellie say, the players that earn the minutes would play, whoever that is.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no, players don't earn the minutes they play with nellie..if you're a big player, there's very limited minutes for the 4 and 5 position....
nellie wants to play small ball so it's likely that raef or bradley could get limited minutes no matter how well they are playing...even if they are needed defensively
Old 01-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #46
USAPA

USAPA is on a distinguished road

<< recently, i've heard some speculation on the radio that the reason the frenchman is here is to perhaps make finley more expendable..anyone buy into that?..not sure how much i but into that

or, is he just here to add some bench scoring?
>>

He'll probably rot on the bench. Signing him means keeping him away from the Lakers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
USAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:03 AM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< no, players don't earn the minutes they play with nellie..if you're a big player, there's very limited minutes for the 4 and 5 position....
nellie wants to play small ball so it's likely that raef or bradley could get limited minutes no matter how well they are playing...even if they are needed defensively
>>

I disagree murph. First off there are two centers (one truly a center and one a very versatile power forward. There is no other 4 except dirk. So there is a real need on this team for a solid three. We don't have one unless you count najera.

I don't necessarily disagree with the small-ball statement. Your &quot;statement&quot; that players don't earn the minutes they play is really pretty ridiculous. You might not like what he's trying to do but what are you saying, he has pet rocks or something??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #48
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Murph - Rig is here to eliminate our dependence on Griffin. Griffin is a disappointing stop gap at SF who's contract runs out at the end of the season. The only reason he gets playing time at all for the Mavs is because the Mavs have absolutely no one besides Griff that can play the position. He's a major liability on the offensive end. He can't shoot, he can't dribble, he can't pass. And his defensive abilities are sorely, sorely overated. This offseason, the Mavericks made it their number one priority to upgrade what is quite obviously their weakest link, making move after move in attempt to aquire a small forward. They didn't wind up with exactly who they wanted, but after watching months of uninspiring play from Griff, they decided to make a move. Despite all his inexperience, Rigadeau is infinitely more talented than Grififn, and very well could ready to contribute more at both ends of the floor in a matter of a couple of weeks. God help the basketball Gods if he's not, because all we are getting now out of our SF now is a big bag of nothing.

Is our weakness really low post defense and rebounding? I say no. It's a popular opinion, but I think people are just voicing it because that's what their used to hearing. Bradley has been spectacular and Raef is coming on strong. With Dirk improved defensively, impressive offense firepower off the bench in the form of Walt Williams, and strong frontcourt depth with Popeye and Eschmeyer, I feel pretty strong about our big men going into the playoffs. What I don't feel good about is that we are currently incapable of matching other teams' small ball lineups. When we go big, we win. When we go small, we lose. To me, that is a direct reflection of our weakness in the backcourt, and Griff is the weakest of the weak. If we are forced to go small, we need the personell to do so successfully. But without anyone to play small forward, we simply can't.

Upgrading here is of infinitely greater importance than signing a backup power forward. Because teams are finding out now that you don't beat the Mavericks by pounding the ball into their zone. You beat them by going small and exploiting the defensive weaknesses of their perimeter players. We are a much worse team offensively and defensively when we are forced go small.

If we make any move this season, it won't be for someone like Kurt Thomas or Brian Grant, it would be for a competent swingman. And with our long term solution at SF supposedly coming this summer in the form of Oggy Askarabic, I don't see us trading a core player to upgrade the position. The move we did make was signing LeRoy. The Mavericks will live (or die) with that move.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:00 PM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

dude, what i'm saying is that it isn't just about who earns minutes and who doesn't..it has quite a bit to do with what nellie wants to do offensively as to who gets minutes.

of course, the way players play has an impact on the minutes they play.. but that's obviously to an extent..it's the same for every team