Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #761
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post

I don't deny their history with trades. I also understand that you aren't going to have a blockbuster deal at every time. Maybe my issue here is them trading for KP. I don't take it back but maybe that puts you in a hole. Which it was what I Was afraid of when we made the deal for him. You mortgage your future you better hope that player you do it for is the right guy or its going to be a tough uphill battle.
I mean, I'm with you. It didn't feel like a "mortgage your future" type of move at the time. We all thought it was a no-brainer. But I think a few things happened that nobody predicted. #1- KP has not been as good as we hoped. Not totally shocking given his injury history, but still, we expected more. #2- The historically loaded 2021 free agent market completely drying up. Seriously, I think everyone expected us to be players for a big name. Maybe not Giannis, but at least Hayward or someone. #3- The trade market simply being weird due to Covid-19 or whatever else. For some reason, first round picks are ridiculously overvalued right now, and nobody gives a crap about expiring contracts.

So yeah, the KP trade did put us in a hole of sorts- even though we might be no better off if we hadn't done it- and it's really frustrating and frankly scary. I simply don't know how the Mavs can get Luka more help, other than just crossing our fingers and hoping a disgruntled star wants to come here. Not holding my breath.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #762
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I think Redick is a rotation guy for us. I also think he's going to be nothing short of deadly with the looks that Luka will be getting for him. We will need defense around him to make up for his lack of length/ age, but by the end of the season something like:

Luka
Redick
THJ / DFS
J-Rich / Kleber
Porzingis / WCS

might be our best lineup option(s).
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but who's playing PF in that 1st lineup?

We already get killed on the boards so I'd hate to see them run out that 1st lineup with just KP on the floor.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #763
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but who's playing PF in that 1st lineup?

We already get killed on the boards so I'd hate to see them run out that 1st lineup with just KP on the floor.
Yeah, I think J-Rich at 4 is a recipe for disaster at least as far as defense and rebounding goes. Plus, the current starting lineup seems to be working really well together, so I would just keep it and bring Redick off the bench for like 10-15 minutes.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #764
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Yeah, I think J-Rich at 4 is a recipe for disaster at least as far as defense and rebounding goes. Plus, the current starting lineup seems to be working really well together, so I would just keep it and bring Redick off the bench for like 10-15 minutes.
Another site had Redick starting in their article

I'm not sure why the Mavs would even consider that though.

I think they plug him in the Curry role from last year

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #765
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Another site had Redick starting in their article

I'm not sure why the Mavs would even consider that though.
I mean, if JJ is gonna start, then for me it would go

Luka
JJ
J-Rich
Kleber
KP

But I'd rather just stick with DFS/J-Rich.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #766
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Stole this from Mavsmoneyball:

JJ Redick has shot an eFG% of 82% on unguarded catch and shoot jump shots this season.

— Synergy Basketball (@SynergySST) March 25, 2021

--------

How many unguarded looks is he going to get? probably not many but if he does - wow.
this should help with spacing and lanes for cutting
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #767
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Stole this from Mavsmoneyball:

JJ Redick has shot an eFG% of 82% on unguarded catch and shoot jump shots this season.

— Synergy Basketball (@SynergySST) March 25, 2021

--------

How many unguarded looks is he going to get? probably not many but if he does - wow.
this should help with spacing and lanes for cutting
I don't think anyone questions his shooting

My issue is on defense and when they decide to keep going small

I know some people won't see it as an issue but to me Redick, Brunson and THJ is going to be a layup drill all day in the playoffs on defense and not long enough to contest 3 point shooters.

Maybe if your playing him next to Luka but even then I'm betting he lines up with Luka and Brunson in a 3 guard lineups and I worry that Mavs will rely on that stuff way too much while teams like Denver and Clippers roll out multiple 6-6 or 6'7 wings to take advantage of them.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #768
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I don't think anyone questions his shooting

My issue is on defense and when they decide to keep going small

I know some people won't see it as an issue but to me Redick, Brunson and THJ is going to be a layup drill all day in the playoffs on defense and not long enough to contest 3 point shooters.

Maybe if your playing him next to Luka but even then I'm betting he lines up with Luka and Brunson in a 3 guard lineups and I worry that Mavs will rely on that stuff way too much while teams like Denver and Clippers roll out multiple 6-6 or 6'7 wings to take advantage of them.
Some people were questioning his shooting because this year he's only at 36%.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #769
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Some people were questioning his shooting because this year he's only at 36%.
apparently he also started out cold but has heated up since

@dallas41 - i also would have concern about his defense but he can't be worse than Burke. I see it as another wrinkle or tool that Rick has to throw out there and he's a long time vet with playoff experience. let's hope we don't go back to small ball.

Redick has an elite skill and we traded for him and sent out a big bag of nothing. no loss there. Redick has a skill that could turn a game on its head while JJohnson and Iwundu were not really giving us much.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #770
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
apparently he also started out cold but has heated up since

@dallas41 - i also would have concern about his defense but he can't be worse than Burke. I see it as another wrinkle or tool that Rick has to throw out there and he's a long time vet with playoff experience. let's hope we don't go back to small ball.

Redick has an elite skill and we traded for him and sent out a big bag of nothing. no loss there. Redick has a skill that could turn a game on its head while JJohnson and Iwundu were not really giving us much.
A dead-eye three point sniper is always a good thing to have. I just had a horrible flashback to Steve Kerr knocking us out of the conference finals in 2003.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #771
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Trade grades

I guess the Mavs deal wasn't worth grading or something because they didn't even list them under the winners or losers section LOL

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...ictor-oladipo/
Celtics trade grade: B+
It's not the big package Celtics fans might've been hoping for. It doesn't include Aaron Gordon or Nikola Vucevic, the latter of whom was traded to Chicago earlier. But Fournier is a legit knock-down shooter who will support Boston's plethora of one-on-one creation with spacing while generating his own offense as well.

Bulls trade grade: A
It cannot be overstated how much offensive firepower Vucevic brings to the Bulls. He's one of only four players this season averaging 24 points and 10 boards a game -- the other three are all MVP contenders (Nikola Jokic, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Joel Embiid). The pick-and-pop game between him and Zach LaVine is going to be a dream come true for the Bulls, and are probably hoping to stagger some of their minutes together so that when LaVine goes to the bench its offense doesn't become stagnant as its been prone to do.

Chicago is under pressure to win now. LaVine will be entering the final year of his deal next season, and would surely command attention from several teams in the league. Adding another All-Star to this roster gives LaVine some reason to stay, especially if this team makes the playoffs this year. Giving up Carter, who has a lengthy injury history, Porter and two first-round picks to keep the star player of the team happy is an incredibly small price to pay on a journey toward making the postseason.

Heat trade grade: A
This was an absolute no-brainer for the Heat. Olynyk's role in the rotation was likely going to be minimized after the Nemanja Bjelica trade, especially if LaMarcus Aldridge joins the Heat through a buyout. Bradley has barely played this season, and at a bare minimum, was behind Goran Dragic, Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson on the depth chart. Even if they weren't interested in Oladipo, the cost was so low that there was practically no reason not to make this trade.

Clippers trade grade: B+
The Clippers wanted Kyle Lowry. They wanted a surefire impact point guard, but they weren't going to get one with what they had available. The Paul George and Marcus Morris deals deprived them of all of their first-round picks, and Williams was their only meaningful expiring salary. Realistically, they had three options. They could've hoped someone of note became available on the buyout market, but that appeared unlikely. They could've broken up more of their rotation and offered a player like Ivica Zubac for an upgrade, but that would've created one hill to fill another. Or, they could've made a move like this. Low-cost, high-reward. It makes sense.

Nuggets trade grade: B+
In Denver, Gordon has found an ideal situation in which to blossom individually. He never had even an average point guard to create shots for him with the Magic. The Nuggets have Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray to get him good looks. At the very least, those two should be able to get him plenty of easy dunks off of lob passes, and the space that they generate alongside Michael Porter Jr. should get him plenty of open 3-point attempts.

This was a trade made for defense, though. Denver lost Jerami Grant this offseason, and without him, they have no real answer for the Western Conference's best forwards. Gordon solves that. He has, at times, been among the NBA's best defensive forwards, and should give them a realistic option to throw at players like LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard. At only 25 years old, he fits neatly into the Jokic-Murray timeline as well. Gordon is exactly the sort of player that the Nuggets needed.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #772
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Potential buy out candidates no mention of Otto Porter Jr

Redick was on this list if they didn't find a trade partner so I guess we can scratch his name LOL

Has Drummond linked to Brooklyn or Knicks
Aldridge linked to Miami
Whiteside linked to Lakers
Cousins linked to Celtics

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketba...ticle-trending
Old 03-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #773
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trade grades

I guess the Mavs deal wasn't worth grading or something because they didn't even list them under the winners or losers section LOL
Bleacher Report and ESPN graded them as B+ and B.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #774
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:
A dead-eye three point sniper is always a good thing to have. I just had a horrible flashback to Steve Kerr knocking us out of the conference finals in 2003.
that's what i was thinking sadly enough...

a happier thought is peja going 6-6 from 3 to help bury the lakers in Game 4 back in 2011.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:19 PM   #775
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

a happier thought is peja going 6-6 from 3 to help bury the lakers in Game 4 back in 2011.

Peja, VH, Williams

We’ve had a history of washed up guys that can wreck opponents in bursts
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #776
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Oh yeah, that's much better. I'll go with that.

Different note, Peja is the ultimate, "holy crap, I forgot he played for the Mavs" guy. I mean, as far as guys who actually contributed something. I don't mean like Amare playing 23 games for us.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #777
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think Redick is a rotation guy for us. I also think he's going to be nothing short of deadly with the looks that Luka will be getting for him. We will need defense around him to make up for his lack of length/ age, but by the end of the season something like:

Luka
Redick
THJ / DFS
J-Rich / Kleber
Porzingis / WCS

might be our best lineup option(s).
I think if DFS is one of your top defenders you gotta find a way to have him out there.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #778
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I mean, I'm with you. It didn't feel like a "mortgage your future" type of move at the time. We all thought it was a no-brainer. But I think a few things happened that nobody predicted. #1- KP has not been as good as we hoped. Not totally shocking given his injury history, but still, we expected more. #2- The historically loaded 2021 free agent market completely drying up. Seriously, I think everyone expected us to be players for a big name. Maybe not Giannis, but at least Hayward or someone. #3- The trade market simply being weird due to Covid-19 or whatever else. For some reason, first round picks are ridiculously overvalued right now, and nobody gives a crap about expiring contracts.

So yeah, the KP trade did put us in a hole of sorts- even though we might be no better off if we hadn't done it- and it's really frustrating and frankly scary. I simply don't know how the Mavs can get Luka more help, other than just crossing our fingers and hoping a disgruntled star wants to come here. Not holding my breath.
Yeah and I probably should’ve saw this KP thing coming. Seems like all signs pointed to him not being as good as as hoped with the injuries. Hard for me to fathom someone his size not being more dominant especially with his skill set.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #779
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Potential buy out candidates no mention of Otto Porter Jr

Redick was on this list if they didn't find a trade partner so I guess we can scratch his name LOL

Has Drummond linked to Brooklyn or Knicks
Aldridge linked to Miami
Whiteside linked to Lakers
Cousins linked to Celtics

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketba...ticle-trending
I’ve heard Drummond linked with Brooklyn. Knicks with Robinson and Noel....I just don’t see the point of Drummond there.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #780
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I’ve heard Drummond linked with Brooklyn. Knicks with Robinson and Noel....I just don’t see the point of Drummond there.
In regards to New York those two guys aren't big or strong enough to hold up vs Embiid and I bet that's what Thib's is thinking ahead of time.

It's kind of like Dallas KP, Kleber and WCS aren't going to matchup very well in the post season vs a big physical interior Center.

Hell even Gobert and Zubac throws our guys around LOL

So I can see how Drummond could still help the Knicks

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #781
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
People, Oladipo made it clear he's going to sign with Miami. If you're going to complain about the Mavs not getting him when the Heat got him for Bradley and Olynyk, please first ask yourself how come of the 28 other teams in the league, nobody else put up a better offer either. Is it JUST the Mavs who like their team so much????
Some people just love to ignore facts. Dipo tanked his value because everyone knows he would sign with Miami. Thats why Miami got him now allready cheap.

Same with Fournier, no chance for us with the Celtics throwing theirTE around
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #782
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm beat a dead horse here

But again I'm still baffled as to why they would settle for Redick when Founier went for peanuts.

Fournier is a better player than Redick and Curry plus he's 6'7 and can handle the ball more.

This just makes absolutely no sense at all to me if you were just targeting a shooter to add to your rotation.

And again someone will try to put a spin on this as to why Redick was attainable and Fournier wasn't for the Mavs.
I would guess it’s because Boston had a huge TE and Orlando doesn’t have to pay anyone that money as opposed to JJ. Also, maybe we didn’t want to give up two 2nds? Or they liked Boston’s better?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #783
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah and I probably should’ve saw this KP thing coming. Seems like all signs pointed to him not being as good as as hoped with the injuries. Hard for me to fathom someone his size not being more dominant especially with his skill set.
Are we talking health or numbers?

Because his #'s matchup favorably with just about any big you consider a quality player.

Biggest issue I see is that the Mavs just don't have any physical big on the roster to compliment KP.

My only concerns with him is matching up with guys who are big and strong inside.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #784
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs are the masters of winning trades, no matter how small.

Is this on par with getting Vuc? DEfinitely not, but we had no first rounders to even pull a big trade like that.

Did we win this one? Most definitely. Redick is a sharpshooter and a strong veteran who expires just like Johnson. I can see him playing some minutes like Walt the Wizard. Melli probably won't be anything, but Johnson wasn't playing and Iwundu was borderline 15th man.
Rondo? Odom? Rudy Fernandez?

Didn’t we trade two 2nds for a Delon Wright s’n’t and then turn around and trade two more 2nds to get off his $ a year later when we could’ve just probably outright signed him without trading ANY picks in the first place since we let 10m of cap space expire? And then the team we traded him to received two second round picks for him.

We have definitely won a lot of trades. But there have been some huge F’ups too.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #785
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Rockets deserve all the crap they get.

I just feel sorry for Christian Wood. Seems like a good guy and he's stuck with the Rockets.
I will not for the life of me understand why they didn’t trade #18 for Wood. And I like Josh Green. But he will probably never be as good as Wood. Wood could’ve also been a trade asset for Beal or another “star”. He’s basically a cheaper John Collins who we are apparently lusting over; he’ll be paid half as much starting next season.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #786
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I think people are missing the obvious when they say they don't understand some of these deals. After a year of Covid lockdowns and lost money, I think finances paid a huge role in some of these decisions.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #787
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I will not for the life of me understand why they didn’t trade #18 for Wood. And I like Josh Green. But he will probably never be as good as Wood. Wood could’ve also been a trade asset for Beal or another “star”. He’s basically a cheaper John Collins who we are apparently lusting over; he’ll be paid half as much starting next season.

I think the lamenting over deals not made is honestly getting pretty ridiculous.

Pistons got:

Trevor Ariza
#16 (Isaiah Stewart)
$4.6 million cash
Future Rockets 2nd rounder

for

Wood
a heavily protected 1st round pick (very likely a 2027 2nd round pick)
and the Lakers 2021 2nd round pick

Pistons then traded Ariza for Delon Wright, who they just traded for Corey Joseph and two second round picks....

essentially Pistons turn Wood into:

Isaiah Stewart
$4.6 million
and net 2 second round picks

....when were the Mavs ever matching that deal for them?
Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #788
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would guess it’s because Boston had a huge TE and Orlando doesn’t have to pay anyone that money as opposed to JJ. Also, maybe we didn’t want to give up two 2nds? Or they liked Boston’s better?

This.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #789
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think the lamenting over deals not made is honestly getting pretty ridiculous.

Pistons got:

Trevor Ariza
#16 (Isaiah Stewart)
$4.6 million cash
Future Rockets 2nd rounder

for

Wood
a heavily protected 1st round pick (very likely a 2027 2nd round pick)
and the Lakers 2021 2nd round pick

Pistons then traded Ariza for Delon Wright, who they just traded for Corey Joseph and two second round picks....

essentially Pistons turn Wood into:

Isaiah Stewart
$4.6 million
and net 2 second round picks

....when were the Mavs ever matching that deal for them?
Because Wood told Detroit he was NOT returning; maybe he preferred Houston? Detroit didn’t want to let him walk for nothing, he was an UFA. So it’s up to teams and agents to negotiate. We could’ve offered #18 plus other stuff.

Maybe we didn’t like Wood personally, maybe he preferred Houston(though they were going through turmoil with Harden already during that time right?) maybe we really love Josh Green. Maybe Detroit insisted on 18&31 and we liked a lot of dudes in that range?

I totally get that there are many factors and moving parts involved. I just think it was a golden opportunity to get a 20-10 talent that could be our Powell roll man only with better rebounding, defense and with 3 pint spacing thrown in for 13m per year. Like I said above, someone will pay Collins double this summer to essentially do the same things Wood does.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #790
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I'm so happy that we capitalized on the fire sale. Our front office is the best!
Old 03-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #791
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I'm so happy that we capitalized on the fire sale. Our front office is the best!
Idiotic take
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #792
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

Didn’t we trade two 2nds for a Delon Wright s’n’t and then turn around and trade two more 2nds to get off his $ a year later when we could’ve just probably outright signed him without trading ANY picks in the first place since we let 10m of cap space expire? And then the team we traded him to received two second round picks for him.

We have definitely won a lot of trades. But there have been some huge F’ups too.
Yeah I'm not sure where that came from (Mavs win every trade)

The Mavs haven't really traded well for years.

Yes they won the Luka deal in the draft because some of those teams just didn't scout him like Donnie did and the KP trade was the Knicks just being dump as rocks.

Prior to those two trades you could say the last win came way back in 2010 for Haywood, Butler and Stevenson.

Kidd for Harris was a tossup because If I recall Harris actually turned into a 1x all star right after that trade right?

I don't think the Pelicans really cared about the players in this trade as much as they just wanted picks for Redick because he was about to get bought out.

Curry and Richardson despite what some might think was a wash because Philly fans will tell you the same thing they won the trade especially with the way Curry has been playing and shooting next to Simmons. Philly hasn't never mentioned needing a replacement for Richardson but Dallas has longed for a replacement for Curry which is why Redick is here now so go figure

Other trades I remember were flame outs like the ones you mentioned this perception that Dallas has won many trades is debatable especially considering prior to Luka and KP it looked really dull since that 2010 deal with Washington.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #793
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Rondo and Odom were not the Mavs' fault though. On paper alone, the Odom trade was BRILLIANT. With Rondo there was a question of how well he could fit with Monta, but it was also seen as a really good move for the Mavs at the time. In both cases, the Mavs got by far and away the most talented player. In the NBA, the team that gets the best player wins about 99% of the time. The Mavs were just unlucky that both of those guys turned out to be headcases.

Fernandez? Who cares.

Wright... Who cares. We're really upset about a couple of second round picks now? Hell, if you want to complain about Wright, complain that we got him in the first place and didn't just hang on to Barnes.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #794
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure where that came from (Mavs win every trade)

The Mavs haven't really traded well for years.

Yes they won the Luka deal in the draft because some of those teams just didn't scout him like Donnie did and the KP trade was the Knicks just being dump as rocks.

Prior to those two trades they made you could say the last win came way back in 2010 for Haywood, Butler and Stevenson.

Kidd for Harris was a tossup because If I recall Harris actually turned into a 1x all star right after that trade right?

I don't think the Pelicans really cared about the players in this trade as much as they just wanted picks for Redick because he was about to get bought out.

Curry and Richardson despite what some might think was a wash because Philly fans will tell you the same thing they won the trade especially with the way Curry has been playing and shooting next to Simmons. Philly hasn't never mentioned needing a replacement for Richardson but Dallas has longed for a replacement for Curry which is why Redick is here now so go figure

Other trades I remember were flame outs like the ones you mentioned this perception that Dallas has won many trades is debatable especially considering prior to Luka and KP it looked really dull since that 2010 deal with Washington.
Dude are you f**king serious????

Look, I know you've been frustrated with the apparent lack of civility, but you are being absolutely ridiculous.

You say the Mavs don't trade well EXCEPT for the Luka and KP trades????

That's like saying in all fairness you're being unfair.

The Mavs don't trade well, EXCEPT for getting a player who MIGHT END UP BEING A TOP 10 PLAYER OF ALL F*CKING TIME??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And the Mavs only won the trade because the other teams were dumb? That's the story of literally every trade ever where one team "won" and the other "lost." One team was smarter than the other.

The Mavs were smarter than the other teams. Period.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-25-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #795
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I think people are missing the obvious when they say they don't understand some of these deals. After a year of Covid lockdowns and lost money, I think finances paid a huge role in some of these decisions.
More than people even imagine. Losses are over a billion dollars league-wide

It doesn't seem like much, but saving the Magic 13 million dollars isn't laughable for an owner who actually cares about making money
Old 03-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #796
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
You call it a "wash." I call it a win-win. The Mavs are a better team for it. If you disagree then let me ask you- setting Redick aside, would you take the deal back? Would you trade Richardson and Bey for Curry right now? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #797
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think the Mavs really scouted Woods

Hell half the fans on these boards including me didn't think he was going to be what he is in Houston.

The only person I recall saying the Mavs blew that was SMC he was on Woods from day one.

But it does make you scratch your head for a franchise that has been looking for that 3rd star failed to scout the talent he was.....

How else do you explain them not going all out to get Woods if they had done their homework in scouting or talent evaluation?

Remember they said the reason they signed Wright was because of his performances vs them LOL

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #798
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

The Christian Wood thing was frustrating. I'll agree there.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #799
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
The Christian Wood thing was frustrating. I'll agree there.
I mean it might have been the one deal we could have realistically gotten done, unlike the deals most people complain about. It was totally there for the taking.

I see what the Mavs were thinking, though. They just invested max money and two FRPs for KP only months before. Why give big money along with picks for another guy who plays the same position? We had many other needs and our cap space was shot.

My disappointment with Wood is more about KP being underwhelming. He's starting to play better, but it's more about KP than Wood.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-25-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #800
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
You call it a "wash." I call it a win-win. The Mavs are a better team for it. If you disagree then let me ask you- setting Redick aside, would you take the deal back? Would you trade Richardson and Bey for Curry right now? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Your right I used the wrong wording

It's a win/win scenario for both teams because they both got what they needed

I personally had already said doing that trade if you look it up that I was happy simply because the Mavs were getting bigger on the perimeter defensively (I'm huge fan of defenders if you haven't noticed).

Now having said that Richardson hasn't been the stopper I hoped he would be but he's at least brought some form of defense to team with DFS enough to satisfy me and also enough to keep THJ off the floor an extra 6-8 minutes which would have never happened last year.