Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #801
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
The more time goes by the more I think it's going to be Joe Johnson. Dust+Caron+DoJo for Johnson may seem crappy because of the better stuff that's out there, but I don't see any of the big 3 coming here.

Kidd-Johnson-Marion-Dirk-Haywood with Terry, Roddy, (Shaq?) coming off the bench might be the best single season team (obviously not looking at the future, here) we've ever had.

HI

finally some company. Trust me when all the other girls get partners and things start shaking out the way we really knew it would deep down... if we can land her she will be sooo hot. And then we will have sex, with her but i'm not sure we will ever make a baby.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-25-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: beer n such
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #802
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
The more time goes by the more I think it's going to be Joe Johnson. Dust+Caron+DoJo for Johnson may seem crappy because of the better stuff that's out there, but I don't see any of the big 3 coming here.
Caron adds waaaay too much salary for the deal to be legal... Subtract him and the deal works.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-25-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #803
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Caron adds waaaay too much salary for the deal to be legal... Subtract him and the deal works.
nah, he just forgot to add Horford and filler

Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #804
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Update:

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #805
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I've been of the opinion for some time that Joe Johnson would be an excellent summer addition, but I'd be fairly upset if the Mavs cashed in Damp, Butler and DoJo to get it done (ignoring for a moment the cap impossibility of such a swap). That's too much to pay for S&T rights to a guy who's all but guaranteed to leave his team for nothing if they try to play hardball in FA negotiations.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #806
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I've been of the opinion for some time that Joe Johnson would be an excellent summer addition, but I'd be fairly upset if the Mavs cashed in Damp, Butler and DoJo to get it done (ignoring for a moment the cap impossibility of such a swap). That's too much to pay for S&T rights to a guy who's all but guaranteed to leave his team for nothing if they try to play hardball in FA negotiations.
I've been under the impression that Haywood would be the main piece for Joe Johnson...something like this
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...ct-joe-johnson
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #807
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

Those Google suggestions are based on the locality of the user. For example, when I do it, it has 'LeBron to Houston' as the first option and 'LeBron to Rockets' as the second one. You can't read too much into them....
Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #808
SMC0007
Guru

haha

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #809
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine the Hawks having significant interest in Wood, not least because of their tradition of getting trounced by the Magic and Wood's rep as one of the better Howard defenders out there.

I have mixed feelings about Skin's suggestion of trying to go the Butler route, though. In particular, I'm really hoping the Mavs find some solid wins in the FA/trade market this summer, and the first thing that comes to mind when I think about a JJ for Butler/Wood swap is that it would be a pretty outstanding deal from Atlanta's perspective. Of course, if you put it in the context of a Wood leaving anyway, and the Mavs making some other solid and well coordinated upgrades using Damp/JJB/JET/MLE/etc., it could still turn out to be a strong move for Dallas. But considering the JJ angle in isolation, I'd rather go after him with Damp/JJB/picks and set myself up with the JJ/Butler duo as my starting 2/3.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #810
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

even an old broken down shaq would be the best center i can remember us having in the last decade. i would gladly accept him with open arms
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #811
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can imagine the Hawks having significant interest in Wood, not least because of their tradition of getting trounced by the Magic and Wood's rep as one of the better Howard defenders out there.

I have mixed feelings about Skin's suggestion of trying to go the Butler route, though. In particular, I'm really hoping the Mavs find some solid wins in the FA/trade market this summer, and the first thing that comes to mind when I think about a JJ for Butler/Wood swap is that it would be a pretty outstanding deal from Atlanta's perspective. Of course, if you put it in the context of a Wood leaving anyway, and the Mavs making some other solid and well coordinated upgrades using Damp/JJB/JET/MLE/etc., it could still turn out to be a strong move for Dallas. But considering the JJ angle in isolation, I'd rather go after him with Damp/JJB/picks and set myself up with the JJ/Butler duo as my starting 2/3.
I agree with what you're saying. I think from a talent perspective his secondary idea of Haywood, Najera, and Stevenson works much better for us with the talent perspective. It'd be sick to consider JJ and Butler as your starters and roll out Roddy and Marion as the bench, that's immense depth.

There are DOZENS of possibilities the Mavs can roll with this summer with their assets. There are at least 3-4 options for each of the big free agent players and then they drop off in assets used the lower you go down on the list. I think you see them in the market for the Orlando FAs, Gortat can be looked at again as well. Gortat definitely should be considered if we're looking at using Haywood in a deal for Joe or any other big name. The main point is we better have a can't-miss plan in place to replace our massive hole that will be create with his departure and the DUST chip being used. Sure, Damp could come back but that isn't a given. I'm all for trying to go for Shaq and give him backup minutes as long as the price is right.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #812
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Johnson improves this team, but it does not make it a legit title contender
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #813
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Johnson improves this team, but it does not make it a legit title contender
I'm inclined to feel the same way. As far as the big-name free agents go, while JJ is definitely the most logical and realistic choice, I don't think he puts us in the finals by himself. I keep hoping against all odds and logic that the Mavs trade for Iggy. I think JJ and Iggy together would definitely make the Mavs a legit contender. But alas, this is a pipe dream.

Whatever happens, I hope the Mavs stay really busy this offseason, and don't just pin all of our hopes on the idea that just one new guy will put us in the finals (unless of course that guy is Lebron or Wade.)

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-26-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #814
BGMaverick9
Guru

Chris Broussard, for ESPN, wrote on his twitter that the Bulls sent a proposal to Dallas for DUST and Dallas said no

Just FYI
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #815
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Chris Broussard, for ESPN, wrote on his twitter that the Bulls sent a proposal to Dallas for DUST and Dallas said no

Just FYI
There's nothing on that team I really want besides Rose and Noah, and its obvious they were not offered.

Moneywise, the players that fit with Damp's salary are Deng and Brad Miller. The D-league doesn't even want Miller, and Deng just doesn't fit with the surplus of guards and small forwards we already have on the team. The only offer I would even think twice about (assuming Noah/Rose aren't being offered) is Dampier straight up for Deng, James Johnson and Taj Gibson. I'm not saying I'd do it, and I'm not saying Chicago would do it, but that would be a very nice influx of new talent, a sort of rebuilding while still contending for the Mavs. You'd have Johnson, Gibson, Roddy and Jones all very young and all promising. Deng, despite the criticism he gets, is only 25 too. But we all know DUST has better ideas in mind.

Last edited by tcat075; 06-26-2010 at 07:16 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #816
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Over at db.com they're saying it was Deng for Damp. Saying no to that proposal on draft day is an easy call for Dallas, both for the sake of free agency positioning, and because Dallas is already loaded at SF.

I'm inclined to look at this as the setting of the bar for the summer, though. An upgrade to the overall team talent level that's on par with getting Luol Deng - he of the 17/7/2 per-game stats and Chicago-best 8.4 points-per-100-possessions plus/minus - for nothing is now the low end of what I'm expecting the Mavs to be able to accomplish using their trade assets.

Sweet.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #817
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm inclined to look at this as the setting of the bar for the summer, though. An upgrade to the overall team talent level that's on par with getting Luol Deng - he of the 17/7/2 per-game stats and Chicago-best 8.4 points-per-100-possessions plus/minus - for nothing is now the low end of what I'm expecting the Mavs to be able to accomplish using their trade assets.

Sweet.
I'd be happy if our worst-case scenario with the DUST Chip was to add a Deng-like player (production-wise) without losing any rotation players...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #818
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd be happy if our worst-case scenario with the DUST Chip was to add a Deng-like player (production-wise) without losing any rotation players...
Yeah. I know people talk about James, Wade, and all that, but if we could just add another Marion. We all know how he helped this team this year, imagine if we could add another guy who does the dirty work, defending and getting easy buckets and operating in the fast break? Preferably, this player is a big (4/5), but let's say we got another 6'7" SF who defends well. There's some serious small ball that can be played with him and Marion and Dirk in the front court.

I have no clue who that player is, of course...but its a nice thought (Artest, but he's not going anywhere).
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #819
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Over at db.com they're saying it was Deng for Damp. Saying no to that proposal on draft day is an easy call for Dallas, both for the sake of free agency positioning, and because Dallas is already loaded at SF.

Sweet.
I just worry that his draft value will go down as the free agents get snapped up. Damp's contract is only as valuable as the free agents available. Once the big guys are off the market, he's only good as cost-cutting for the same of cost-cutting.

There are some teams (like Chicago) that are placing inflated value on their cap space because they like the idea of landing a big name even if it doesnt happen. I really doubt any big name will demand a trade to Dallas so I think our best chance is to fleece a team looking to land a free agent rather than snagging a big name FA in an SnT.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #820
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:

Sweet.
Exactly! In theory the first offer that is sent your way is a BS/low-ball offer. If you take it, the other team is thrilled because they got their perfect deal and you probably could've gotten away with something better if you just pushed back a little bit (like what we did with the Washington deal). So if Deng (that caliber of player, for the wing position) is the is the low-ball offer for DUST, that's a positive sign for us going forward. It'll be interesting to see what the equivalent is for a center.

The same can be said for Roddy, if the initial offer is a lottery pick, that's good...but you can still do better.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #821
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

We are loaded at SF, Deng has a huge contract and injury issues.

So was not a big thing to decline it.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #822
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I just worry that his draft value will go down as the free agents get snapped up. Damp's contract is only as valuable as the free agents available. Once the big guys are off the market, he's only good as cost-cutting for the same of cost-cutting.

There are some teams (like Chicago) that are placing inflated value on their cap space because they like the idea of landing a big name even if it doesnt happen. I really doubt any big name will demand a trade to Dallas so I think our best chance is to fleece a team looking to land a free agent rather than snagging a big name FA in an SnT.
I look at it this way. If Damp has that kind of value now, when a team like Chicago is only hoping they'll be able to lure a couple A-list free agents their way, then he should have at least that much value if and when a team like Chicago actually has success in securing commitments from those free agents and needs help closing the deal.

Will Damp's value wane eventually? Sure. And part of the challenge for Donnie, Mark and Rick this summer will be to accurately gauge the market and make something happen with his contract before that happens. But the smartest bet, by far, is that Damp's maximum value won't be realized until after the free agent wooing period begins, so unless I hear a report about the Mavs passing on Chris Paul or something I just don't see any point in worrying about Dallas missing their window.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #823
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
Those Google suggestions are based on the locality of the user. For example, when I do it, it has 'LeBron to Houston' as the first option and 'LeBron to Rockets' as the second one. You can't read too much into them....
I'm not in the Dallas area.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #824
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
I look at it this way. If Damp has that kind of value now, when a team like Chicago is only hoping they'll be able to lure a couple A-list free agents their way, then he should have at least that much value if and when a team like Chicago actually has success in securing commitments from those free agents and needs help closing the deal.

Will Damp's value wane eventually? Sure. And part of the challenge for Donnie, Mark and Rick this summer will be to accurately gauge the market and make something happen with his contract before that happens. But the smartest bet, by far, is that Damp's maximum value won't be realized until after the free agent wooing period begins, so unless I hear a report about the Mavs passing on Chris Paul or something I just don't see any point in worrying about Dallas missing their window.
There's always the possibility that if we don't find a pleasing deal with the DUST chip this summer we could trade it to a team under the cap with a future second round pick or some cash for incentive and acquire a TPE with it that we could use before the trade deadline or even next summer.

This is just an option to prolong the life of the DUST chip, but definitely not the ideal situation for two reasons: 1) It would be better to use the chip this summer because time really isn't on our side with this roster. 2) I believe a TPE can only be used by itself and not in combination with other contracts when shipped out in a trade, so you're a bit limited. Also, you would have to trade for a player under the TPE which would be $13 million, whereas with the DUST chip we could take back a contract up to approximately $16million.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #825
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default Source: Mavs a 'dark, dark horse in Lebron race

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=5334365

Quote:
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Dallas Mavericks enter the most anticipated bidding war in NBA history believing they still have some sort of shot at landing the face of 2010 free agency: LeBron James.

One source close to the situation, however, concedes that Dallas is no more than a "dark, dark horse" in the James sweepstakes.

The Mavericks will enter free agency at 11:01 p.m. local time Wednesday night with the clear-cut No. 1 objective of re-signing star forward Dirk Nowitzki, who will opt out of the final year of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.

Team sources re-confirmed over the weekend that Nowitzki, as reported by ESPN.com in mid-May, will formally notify the Mavericks and the league office of his decision to walk away from next season's $21.5 million salary before Wednesday's deadline to do so in his current contract.

The Mavericks' dream scenario, according to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking, is securing a verbal commitment from Nowitzki on a new four-year deal early in free agency and then pursuing top free agents -- starting with James -- through sign-and-trade offers. The most Dallas can offer Nowitzki is a four-year contract worth $96 million because the league's over-36 rule prevents them from signing the 32-year-old to a longer deal.

Sources said Sunday that Dallas fully expects James to first meet face-to-face with the teams that have the requisite salary-cap space to sign him outright away from Cleveland in addition to another marquee free agent.

ESPN.com reported Friday that James' first meeting in Northeastern Ohio will be with the New Jersey Nets, with ESPNNewYork.com reporting Saturday that James will also sit down Thursday with representatives of the New York Knicks.

James is also expected to field in-person pitches from the Chicago Bulls -- who are increasingly considered the favorites to sign him by executives and agents leaguewide -- along with the Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers and the incumbent Cavaliers during the first few days of free agency.

But the Mavericks, sources say, are confident that they will also be granted a turn to make their pitch directly to James in Ohio, thanks largely to the high regard members of James' inner circle have for Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and James' close relationship with Mavericks guard Jason Kidd.

Although he would not discuss specific names, citing league rules against publicly courting free agents before July 1, Kidd acknowledged in an interview Friday with ESPN Radio's Ben and Skin Show in Dallas that he will be at the heart of the Mavericks' recruiting efforts.

"Yes, my phone bill will go up," Kidd said.

Kidd added that the Mavericks' big selling points to free agents will be the presence of Nowitzki as an MVP-caliber sidekick -- based on the assumption that Dallas will re-sign him -- and Cuban's proven willingness to keep spending to improve a roster that has not been gutted like Chicago's, Miami's and New York's.

Kidd joked in his radio interview about the Mavericks, besides Nowitzki, having "another character called Uncle Sam," referring to Cuban's historically aggressive spending. The most recent example came Thursday, when Dallas paid the league-maximum $3 million to acquire the No. 25 overall pick from Memphis to draft University of South Florida guard Dominique Jones.

Another expected element of Dallas' presentation is the prospect of moving a handful of regular season games to the glitzy Cowboys Stadium in nearby Arlington, which attracted a crowd of more than 100,000 for the NBA All-Star Game in February. James is a longstanding Cowboys fan and Cuban has a strong working relationship with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who would undoubtedly relish the spectacle of James playing games in a Mavericks uniform in his palatial new stadium.

The Mavericks, sources said, also intend to register their sign-and-trade interest in Dallas native Chris Bosh and Atlanta Hawks guard Joe Johnson as soon as they are allowed to do so Wednesday night, acknowledging that securing James' signature is an extreme long shot in spite of all they can offer James.

Sources said Dallas is also among the teams that have made repeated calls to the New Orleans Hornets throughout the season regarding the availability of All-Star guard Chris Paul, despite the fact that the Hornets consistently say that they won't even entertain the idea of trading Paul.

As for Nowitzki, Kidd expressed confidence last week that the Mavericks will secure a verbal commitment from the leading scorer in franchise history before July 8, which is the first day free agents can actually sign new contracts.

"Sometimes as a player you want to feel wanted," Kidd said Thursday at a charity event for his foundation. "He's always felt wanted here, but maybe this could be some weird way of being appreciated by other teams. There's nothing wrong with that because he's probably one of the top five free agents or top four, top three. He's good.

"He'll get a lot of attention, but we all feel he's not going anywhere."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
So ... they're saying that there's a chance

Really though, we are fortunate to even have a chance in this thing. Hopefully a small chance is all that's needed. We'll see. Regardless of whether we land Lebron or not, I think this team is going to be much much better next season

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 06-27-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #826
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This is, imo, one of the best pieces Fish has ever written. Very well thought out and some good info.

I recommend clicking over there and reading it, the formatting is better.

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks have formulated The Sales Pitch.
It does not feature a set-in-stone itinerary. It does not feature show-biz flash. It does not feature a singular target.
But at 12:02 a.m Eastern time on July 1, the Mavs will put into action their Summer of 2010 sales pitch for available NBA stars – LeBron James and Dwyane Wade and all the rest, the marketing wave set to occur only after Dallas has, hopefully, secured the services of Dirk Nowitzki.
“We definitely have a plan,’’ Mavs GM Donnie Nelson tells me. “There are details to it. … but there also needs to be flexibility in it.’’
The Sales Pitch is a living, breathing, flexible thing … and DallasBasketball.com, after a dozen conversations with the principals (some for attribution, some from unnamed sources, some as general background) has learned that The Sales Pitch is founded upon three fundamental platforms.
Read on for the details. …

JOB 1: SECURING DIRK NOWITZKI
“We will be anywhere and we will do anything,’’ Donnie says, “to make sure that gets done.’’
At present, the Mavs are in discussions with Nowitzki about an extension that can pay him his existing one-more year (at $21.5 mil) plus three more years of max money. But also on the table: Dirk exercising his right to opt-out, thus earning himself not only a new four-year contract worth around $96 million (four years is the max length due to his age) but also a no-trade clause.
I put the question to Donnie: Wouldn’t it be ideal to have Dirk done by 12:01 a.m. on July 1, and then to be able to go forward – at the aforementioned 12:02 -- with Nowitzki as part of the recruiting team?
“Ideal? It’d be right up there as ideal,’’ Donnie says. “But we’ll do it however Dirk wants us to do it. If he and Holger (Geschwindner, Dirk’s mentor) want to meet us in Antarctica, we’ll fly to Antarctica.’’
It cannot be more basic: Any Dallas recruiting effort in other directions is completely hamstrung until paperwork on The UberMan is completed.
Says Kidd: “He’s the centerpiece. He’s the attraction for any of the other free agents. To play with Dirk makes the game is so much easier.’’
The game on the court … and the game of recruiting, too.

THE THREE FUNDEMENTAL PLATFORMS OF THE MAVS’ SALES PITCH
We could use any player as a guinea pig for how the three essentials of The Sales Pitch will be presented. But this applies almost regardless of targets’ names:
1 Dallas will provide you the perfect Robin.
Which NBA superstar who has spent a lifetime as a Batman is truly willing to accept the Robin label? Would Wade do it for LeBron? Would LeBron do it for Wade? Will Bosh do it for either of them?
Some of the shoppers will on July 1 issue pitches based on what I believe is a fanciful notion – a Fantasy Basketball notion – that doesn’t take into account the egos of those being courted.
The Mavs won’t say that about other teams’ plans. But everyone involved in the Mavs thinking will acknowledge that Dallas believes it has a card to play here that is not fantasy.
And Jason Kidd will say it on the record.
“Come here,’’ Kidd essentially said a few days ago when he was ‘play-acting’ a recruitment pitch with Ben and Skin on ESPN Radio, “and we will let you play with the best Robin in the league.’’
It was play-acting, but as I confirmed shortly after, it was also a revelation: The Mavs’ No. 1 platform in The Sales Pitch is this organization’s climate of unselfishness. Mark Cuban is among the most financially generous owners in the history of sports. Team leader Kidd is among the most giving distributors in the history of basketball. And team MVP Dirk Nowitzki is among the most unselfish superstars in the history of ever.
The Mavs believe in Dirk Nowitzki and his role as the tone-setter in The Climate of Unselfishness.
2 Dallas will make sure this is a “business deal’’ and not a “circus.’’
From one source with deep knowledge of what the Mavs are planning and deep knowledge of what is being planned by at least one other team, the Knicks:
“For whomever, if this recruiting process is really about having dinner with Donald Trump and Whoopi Goldberg, and if that’s really what is ultimately going to convince a player … well, maybe that’s not the sort of guy you want to be committing $125 million to,’’ the source tells me. “I think Dallas has more respect for these guys than that. I think Cuban is going to go to them, businessman-to-businessman, and offer them a chance to become a partner in what the Mavs are, a member of the business family in Dallas. I think the Mavs believe that the right guy will be attracted to that.’’
And, I would add, that the wrong guy will be attracted to the wrong things. In the specific case of James: If he has a primary focus on being a record producer and a clothing-line designer, and believes those pursuits can only be realized for him while playing somewhere besides Dallas … well, that’s his primary focus and persuasion may not be enough.
I throw this notion at Donnie, too.
“I’ll put it this way,’’ Nelson says. “I find it kind of impossible to believe the media reports that say a certain team has already made dinner reservations for when they want a certain player to come to town. I’ve got news for those teams: It ain’t going to work that way.’’
Dallas believes the players will be doing the scheduling, and that their right should be respected.
“Nobody knows yet what player will be in what city on what day,’’ Nelson says. “How could a team know? We’re not supposed to have had any contact with those players yet. We cannot know.’’
(Interestingly, Donnie tells me this on the afternoon of Friday, June 25. A few hours later comes the report that LeBron James has cancelled his “elaborate free-agency tour’’ and will instead be meeting with teams when they come to his town. Coincidence? Or Donnie having in-advance insight into what would be advisable for LeBron to do?)
But when the Mavs do know? They will point out the lure of playing some home games at Cowboys Stadium (which could excite Cowboys fan LeBron and others). They will make note of Texas' absence of a state income tax. They will do so within the context of having made business appointments with desired targets. Not circus events. Not “penthouse extravaganzas.’’ Not cocktail parties with Whoopi.
Business appointments.
3 Dallas will provide you ample “Uncle Sams.’’
It is Kidd who uses the term “Uncle Sams.’’ What does he mean by this?
Kidd tells me: “There is never going to be a time the Mavs lose a game, or have a bad season, because the owner didn’t try hard enough. Or spend enough. In Dallas, we have an owner that will make the same kind of commitment to greatness that a great player will make. Only in Mark’s case, that commitment means money.’’
Ah, “Uncle Sams.’’ Like “Benjamins.’’ Money.
It is a critical point, Kidd thinks: The available player needs to be made to understand that his signing isn’t just about his new owner paying him $125 million over six years. (Important selling point for the Mavs: That’s the Sign-and-Trade number; in straight free agency, players moving to new teams can only get five years and $96 million. So a player should theoretically prefer to be S-n-T’ed to his new team.) It’s about that owner’s willingness to spend the next six seasons paying the signed player’s teammates, paying coaches, marketing the team so it plays before big audiences. … the entire financial commitment that goes beyond just one well-paid guy – because one well-paid guy isn’t going to win championships.
“Because of Dirk, we have a guy who is both Batman and Robin,’’ says Kidd, “and because of Cuban we have Uncle Sams.’’
None of these things necessarily made Dallas “special.’’ Just a bidder, is all.

THE SHOPPING TARGETS
A year ago, the Mavs had two immediate summer priorities: Ink Jason Kidd, and get Marcin Gortat’s signature on an offer sheet. They succeeded at both, with Mark Cuban jetting to New York to huddle with Kidd and with coach Rick Carlisle jetting to Florida to recruit Gortat.
“This year,’’ a Mavs source tells me, “it’s a hell of a lot more complicated.’’
One reason for the complications is the high number of product on the shelves. There is Dirk, and then LeBron and Wade, and then Bosh and Amar’e and Joe Johnson and David Lee and Carlos Boozer and more. And those are only the probable unrestricted free agents. Then there are the restricted guys, a list that notably features Rudy Gay. And of course there are players who are under contract but who may be available in a more traditional trade, a group that might include an almost endless assortment of names. (Notable: Even if the top-tier FA’s go elsewhere, the Mavs keep shopping. The DUST Chip be discussed in exchange for, say Chris Paul … or Al Jefferson … or any guy employed by a team in sellers’ mode.)
Have the Mavs prioritized their list? We assume so … but I like Kidd’s answer when I ask him for specifics.
“It’s everybody,’’ Kidd says. “We’re prioritizing everybody. … It’s everybody. You don’t have a (limited or strictly-ordered list). You know, you want to go after the top guys and let them know how great the city of Dallas is and also understand how great Mark is and how great this team is … You know Cuban wants to win a championship … and there are quite a few guys out there.’’
From what I gather, the Mavs would like to avoid having anyone think “this guy is Choice 1’’ and “that guy is a backup plan’’ and the like.
Dallas wants feelers everywhere … invites to everyone. … opportunism on everything.
This overall philosophy differs from that reportedly present in other outposts. New York wants LeBron. Miami wants Wade plus Amar’e. Houston prefers Bosh. Fine, but … respectively, if LeBron turns down New York, how to the Knicks convince the ensuing candidate that he’s not sloppy seconds? And why should Amar’e agree to be a supplementary piece? And how can Houston prefer Bosh over LeBron?
(My opinion only: When ESPN Insider says that the Knicks have a Plan A, B, C and D, and that Plan D is signing Nowitzki, I’m left believing somebody is trying to pull a fast one on somebody. That report came out weeks ago, and its specificity seems bogus. Does New York really have three well-considered plans it believes it might strike out on? Does New York really believe that Nowitzki would prefer to be an afterthought signing as the lone-star Knick instead of remaining in Dallas? I say either the report is goofy … or the Knicks plan is.)
The Mavs surely like LeBron better than Joe Johnson. They surely like both of them, though. And Wade. And Bosh. And more. And they think there are enough eggs to be placed in enough baskets to make multiple pitches without making enemies.
There is a belief in many circles that LeBron is leaning toward Chicago. Nevertheless, Dallas must – and will -- take its swing. There. Everywhere.
The identity of the ideal guy? What I know for certain comes when you go back and review Kidd’s words about “Dirk-as-Robin’’: The ideal guy is a player so gifted that he’s actually a candidate to be the Batman to Nowitzki’s Robin … to be superior to Dirk or on par with Dirk or at least to be the heir to his Mavs mantle.

THE TRADEABLE ASSETS
DallasBasketball.com has covered this territory in great depth over the last 12 months. But I’ll offer a refresher course and then an update of just how forward-thinking the Mavs are in terms of Summer of 2010 preparation. Some of the prominent assets:
*The DUST Chip: The purposeful invention of the Mavs front office (in July 2009 discovered and nicknamed by our David Lord), Erick Dampier’s contract. D.U.S.T. (“Damp Ultimate Sign-And-Trade’’) means that after July 10, 2010, a team can trade for Dampier (and give Dallas the ability to trade-match a salary up to $16.4475 million) ... and then that team can immediately release Dampier. The new team gets the payroll, cap and perhaps the lux-tax relief without ever having to spend a dime for a contract that is on the books at $13 million.
*Caron Butler: One year left on his expiring deal at $10.5 mil. He represents a contract that will eventually disappear as well as a two-time All-Star will can help a team until then. (Caron seems to understand all of this.)
*J.J. Barea: One year left and $1.8 million. Dirt-cheap for a rotation player whose contract will expire. (Yes, JJB knows all of this, too.)
*Rodrigue Beaubois: Unlike the three aforementioned assets, Dallas is extremely unwilling to lose him. But the Mavs feel his value (which is obviously far in excess of his modest contract worth $1.1 mil, $1.2 mil and $2.2 mil in the next three seasons) has been established not only on the floor during his rookie season but also this summer. Other teams are making it clear they like Roddy B as much as Dallas does.
*Dominique Jones: The 25th overall pick in the recent NBA Draft. Did Dallas pay $3 mil to Memphis to acquire the pick because it believes in the scoring guard? Yes…. But the Mavs also paid $3 mil to pocket yet another asset.
My recent story on how Roddy B and Jones are more than just “the backcourt of the future’’ is not one I created out of thin air. One of the reasons the Mavs pinpointed Jones at 25 is because they believe a handful of teams liked him enough to consider him a mid-first-round talent – and some of those teams will possibly be interested if faced with Sign-and-Trade proposals from Dallas for players who want out.
I’m told there are at least five teams that would’ve considered Dominique Jones in the 17-to-26 range. If they wanted him then. .... Dominique Jones isn’t the hub of a Mavs offer (The DUST Chip is). But Dominique Jones could be a spoke of the wheel.
File it away as a minor detail here, but an important example of the details being covered.
By the way, between those assets and more, somewhere in there, there is actually enough ammunition to execute more than one deal.
Dallas has created for itself the convenience of not having to first strip down in order to build up. Chicago and Miami are trading off parts to maximize room. That’s a valiant effort – but if multiple stars don’t agree to go to the Bulls or the Heat, those roster might remain stripped down … or will add overpriced third-tier performers to fill the void.
Assuming the signing of Dirk, Dallas can pitch the idea that the Mavs are not trying to go from zero-to-60. In terms of literal wins and losses and in terms of figurative roster improvement, they’re trying to go from 55 to 60.
“We have a plan,’’ Donnie says. “We’ve got some things that are ready … that have been ready for a long time. And we think we have other things that we might have to get ready on the fly.’’

THE MAVS POINT MEN
Mark Cuban. Donnie Nelson. Jason Kidd.
Those three men have almost universal respect in the sport, in part due to their unique charms. They are, to borrow from Malcolm Gladwell’s “The Tipping Point,’’ true “connectors’’ in the basketball world. The three of them are without much pretense. Cuban is a social pal and financial role model to hundreds of NBA players. Donnie is the scout who first got to know them when they were 19, and he hasn’t an enemy in the NBA. Kidd is everybody’s admired big brother.
They are the key point men. The recruiting coordinators, if you will.
Using LeBron as an example: While he might be leaning in another direction ... while the Mavs may be a longshot here ... there is absolutely no way LeBron will fail to give Cuban and Kidd an audience. Their presence gives the Mavs at least their chance.
So will the Mavs need three private jets? Four planes? Five?
“You know Mark,’’ Donnie says. “If he has to enlist the entire American Airlines fleet, then that’s what he’ll do.’’
Here’s a chunk of my exact question to Kidd (some tongue-in-cheek, some not) on this subject … and here’s Kidd’s exact response (also some funnin’ and some not):
Fisher question: “I think a few weeks ago you were being way overly-humble when you said, ‘I’m not in the recruiting business. I’m just a player.’ Because in truth, if I’m Cuban, I’ve got to put you and Dirk and whoever on a plane, maybe some dancing girls, and head to Cleveland, or Miami, or Toronto, or wherever I’ve got to go.’’
Kidd answer: “Well, hopefully we’re cuter than dancing girls so he doesn’t have to put anybody else on the plane! But you know, we’re going to play our part and see what happens. I mean, this probably will go down in history as the wildest NBA free agency (period) ever, because you have a lot of talented players there. And it’s going to be interesting to see if guys are leaving, or everybody stays pat and stays home.’’
Kidd clearly has a serious feel for this. And of course, a playful access to dancing girls. Just in case.
Carlisle plays an important role, too, as do other members of the organization. Not the least of which, by the way, is stability. As I write this, the Blazers, Clippers, Warriors, Suns, Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Nets, Wizards and Hornets (am I missing anyone) are in various states of flux … selling their teams, firing their GMs, proceeding without coaches. …
Not in Dallas. The Mavs have the committed owner. They have GM who has been here for a decade and in the business since 1986. They have a coach who is staying put.
And – hopefully – they have Dirk Nowitzki.
The trickiest situation with potential point men happens to involve Dirk – and not just his signing.
Nowitzki does not travel in the same circles as his NBA brothers. (This month, he met his girlfriend’s parents by traveling to her home … in Sweden. An NBA first?) And while the MVP is respected, smart, funny and warm …
“We don’t want to put Dirk in a situation he’d be uncomfortable with,’’ Donnie says. “However, he wants to help, and he’ll be a great asset.’’
One person close to Nowitzki adds this: “I think that honesty about (Dirk’s role and personality) actually works in Dallas’ favor. It’s just going to be one more thing that seems real (about the Mavs). They’re not putting on airs. They’re not pretending. They are letting guys be themselves, which really is how they run that organization anyway.’’
Having said all that: If you are LeBron/Wade/Johnson/whomever … it would be kind of impressive to hear your doorbell, peek outside, and see on your front porch the smiling fivesome of Cuban, Donnie, Kidd, Carlisle and Dirk.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #827
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I just wanted to say that it's time for everyone to buckle up and get ready for a crazy ride.

I've been very distracted by a fantastic Ranger team, and will continue to be, but I absolutely love the early NBA free agency period, and this is going to be insane.

I would recommend everyone be prepared for a crazy roller coaster with an unbelievable amount of rumors.

In the end, I predict that the Mavs will make at least one move of real, legit, game changing significance.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #828
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

First off, hey everyone. I hope everyone is having a nice summer, and enjoying the weather and everything. I haven't posted in a while because I had to take my mind off our Mavs for a little bit. But I'm pretty much over our first round debacle at this point, I just hope we can improve this team this off-season. Personally, I may be alone on this but I feel Roddy should be given the chance to start at the 1 spot. I feel his speed, his ability to break down the defense, and his length on defense should be enough for him to start.

But if he is given the chance and lets say he fails at being able to run a team, then he should come off the bench for the time being. I really hope he can start though, there were times were Kidd looked really old last season. What I'm hoping is that Kidd can mentor Roddy on how to run the team better, and at the same time Kidd will get rest during the season and be able to be aggressive since he'll be better rested.

I'm also hoping that we'll be able to get Joe Johnson here. I would hope that if we can get Johnson we won't be trading Butler to do so. If Roddy starts at the 1, Johnson starts at the 2, and Butler starts at the 3 it's a tremendous boost for the team. All three of those guys can handle the ball, break down the defense, and shoot. Roddy isn't proven in the clutch, but Butler and Johnson are. If a team DARED to overplay on Dirk, Butler or Johnson or Both would kill them for it. The team would be dynamic if we can get Johnson at the 2, and Butler at the 3. I don't know how it could be done exactly though, since I'm not great with contracts and that kind of stuff. But I'm pretty sure it can be done.

And another reason I don't want Butler to be traded is I seriously believe he is going to be in all-star form again next season. I saw him play a lot during his Washington days, and really I only saw glimpses of his old self last season. Caron is normally very crafty around the rim, he can usually adjust his body in mid-air, and he also used to love his one-hand hanging finish move in Washington. Last season here, he seemed a bit shaky, and he wasn't very good around the rim. I don't have the exact percentages of his Fg% around the paint, but I do remember he wasn't going up as strong as he could've and he wasn't using his whole arsenal.

I truly believe that since he'll have a full training camp, and since he's been dropping weight during this off- season he'll be really really good this season. The combination of his weight loss, a full training camp, and his increased chemistry with the team will all play a role. And if we could get a quality guard such as Joe Johnson at the 2, that helps immensely since it allows Butler to slide back to his natural position at the 3. And playing with another former all-star in Johnson, will surely help Butler since it takes pressure off him and especially off Dirk.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #829
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to know the Mavs are staying away from the charade pitches (lol at the Knicks and their "dinner party").

All business...I like that.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #830
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Nice to know the Mavs are staying away from the charade pitches (lol at the Knicks and their "dinner party").

All business...I like that.
Sadly for the Knicks, the "circus" is all they have to offer at this point.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #831
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

If the Mavs get Lebron Stern might contemplate retirement from the NBA.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #832
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I wouldn't mind getting Joe Johnson either since he's a real SG that's Mavs haven't had in a long time.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #833
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
First off, hey everyone. I hope everyone is having a nice summer, and enjoying the weather and everything. I haven't posted in a while because I had to take my mind off our Mavs for a little bit. But I'm pretty much over our first round debacle at this point, I just hope we can improve this team this off-season. Personally, I may be alone on this but I feel Roddy should be given the chance to start at the 1 spot. I feel his speed, his ability to break down the defense, and his length on defense should be enough for him to start.

But if he is given the chance and lets say he fails at being able to run a team, then he should come off the bench for the time being. I really hope he can start though, there were times were Kidd looked really old last season. What I'm hoping is that Kidd can mentor Roddy on how to run the team better, and at the same time Kidd will get rest during the season and be able to be aggressive since he'll be better rested.

I'm also hoping that we'll be able to get Joe Johnson here. I would hope that if we can get Johnson we won't be trading Butler to do so. If Roddy starts at the 1, Johnson starts at the 2, and Butler starts at the 3 it's a tremendous boost for the team. All three of those guys can handle the ball, break down the defense, and shoot. Roddy isn't proven in the clutch, but Butler and Johnson are. If a team DARED to overplay on Dirk, Butler or Johnson or Both would kill them for it. The team would be dynamic if we can get Johnson at the 2, and Butler at the 3. I don't know how it could be done exactly though, since I'm not great with contracts and that kind of stuff. But I'm pretty sure it can be done.

And another reason I don't want Butler to be traded is I seriously believe he is going to be in all-star form again next season. I saw him play a lot during his Washington days, and really I only saw glimpses of his old self last season. Caron is normally very crafty around the rim, he can usually adjust his body in mid-air, and he also used to love his one-hand hanging finish move in Washington. Last season here, he seemed a bit shaky, and he wasn't very good around the rim. I don't have the exact percentages of his Fg% around the paint, but I do remember he wasn't going up as strong as he could've and he wasn't using his whole arsenal.

I truly believe that since he'll have a full training camp, and since he's been dropping weight during this off- season he'll be really really good this season. The combination of his weight loss, a full training camp, and his increased chemistry with the team will all play a role. And if we could get a quality guard such as Joe Johnson at the 2, that helps immensely since it allows Butler to slide back to his natural position at the 3. And playing with another former all-star in Johnson, will surely help Butler since it takes pressure off him and especially off Dirk.
i wholeheartedly agree with you about Caron. he's poised for a big year and it was encouraging to hear him recognize he needs to lose a few pounds. and a move back to the 3 and time to work on chemistry will benefit him immensely. lets not forget it's also a contract year for him
i have mixed feelings about Joe Johnson. i feel like someone is going to be overpaying him and his playoff performances have been abysmal. i like his size and the skill set he brings. i would be thrilled if we got him. but it would depend on what we have to give up.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #834
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

reading that piece by Fish made me wonder if a DoJo & Stevenson or Najera for Gortat swap is in the works with Orlando. they were apparently trying to move up to get him.
we could potentially end up w/ a Center rotation of Haywood, Gortat, Shaq AND Damp. it would be quite formidable.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #835
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Nice to get some news from Stein, and an excellent read from Fish, as well. I really do like the approach the Mavs are taking.

I have to say, I'm starting to get the impression that, as much as the Mavs might like DoJo (and I'm sure they do like him), keeping Booby was in fact the single biggest reason they spent that 3 million to acquire his rights from Memphis.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #836
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
reading that piece by Fish made me wonder if a DoJo & Stevenson or Najera for Gortat swap is in the works with Orlando. they were apparently trying to move up to get him.
we could potentially end up w/ a Center rotation of Haywood, Gortat, Shaq AND Damp. it would be quite formidable.
Guessing your joking about the 4-headed center rotation.

As for the DoJo-for-Gortat angle, I'd be shocked if that possibility figured prominently in Dallas' plans (see my post re: DoJo and Booby), and nearly as surprised if Dallas ended up going that route, even as a last resort. Dallas gambled by trying to overpay Gortat last summer, but it was Orlando that chose to hang themselves on the contract he signed. After an encore season in which he did nothing to raise his value and Orlando failed to duplicate their run to the finals, I don't think there's any way they can hope to get a first round pick by unloading him. Saw a post from D. Lord the other day at db.com in which he speculated that something along the lines of Stevenson/JJB would likely be enough, and I have to say that I'm pretty sympathetic to that perspective.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #837
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
BTW, I just wanted to say that it's time for everyone to buckle up and get ready for a crazy ride.

I've been very distracted by a fantastic Ranger team, and will continue to be, but I absolutely love the early NBA free agency period, and this is going to be insane.

I would recommend everyone be prepared for a crazy roller coaster with an unbelievable amount of rumors.

In the end, I predict that the Mavs will make at least one move of real, legit, game changing significance.
It is going to be crazy for sure. They ARE playing it as best as you can, there are so many targets out there so you're obviously going to like one or two more than the other but you're not going to sell the farm going after those special ones because you'll have nothing left if you miss.

I still have a hard time believing that Bosh or Joe Johnson will necessarily jump at the chance to run with LeBron or Wade...it's possible but I don't see it as the top option for them, especially for Bosh. He's a big man and he's got something to prove. He's been hiding in Toronto all of his career and everyone has been saying "if he played in ____, you'd know he's a star." That's probably the case but how is that stigma going to necessarily go away if you're playing with LeBron or Wade? Bosh wants the be the leading man, not the co-star.

Even if you look at the Big 4 of LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Johnson and we don't strike with one of them, you've STILL got an amazing chance to land some quality players. Maybe you land a deal in Orlando with Gortat and a wing player, maybe you get a second tier free agent, the options are just all over the place. I agree with you in saying the odds are pretty likely we are going to make a move that is legit and changes the game for Dallas.

All I know is we see "LeBron going to ____" and it's not Dallas, I'm not pissed and I'm not crying about it. There are WAY too many prizes to be had to be upset you didn't win the top prize. The real game DOES start at 12:02, lock the Big German up and start the pitch.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #838
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Guessing your joking about the 4-headed center rotation.

As for the DoJo-for-Gortat angle, I'd be shocked if that possibility figured prominently in Dallas' plans (see my post re: DoJo and Booby), and nearly as surprised if Dallas ended up going that route, even as a last resort. Dallas gambled by trying to overpay Gortat last summer, but it was Orlando that chose to hang themselves on the contract he signed. After an encore season in which he did nothing to raise his value and Orlando failed to duplicate their run to the finals, I don't think there's any way they can hope to get a first round pick by unloading him. Saw a post from D. Lord the other day at db.com in which he speculated that something along the lines of Stevenson/JJB would likely be enough, and I have to say that I'm pretty sympathetic to that perspective.
yup, joking about the 4 center thing. and you(and D.Lord)may be right, in fact i hope you are, in thinking that Stevenson/JJB would be enough. i'm a big believer in Gortat and think if he's given 30 mins. a night he'll flourish and be like a bigger, better shooting Biedrins. same energy and NBA body. give me a guy like Gortat who presumably has something to prove and plays w/ a chip on his shoulder over a somewhat lazy, entitled(or maybe he's just country) big man like Haywood anyday.
don't get me wrong we could do alot worse than Haywood and he's more proven than Gortat. but at double the price? give me Gortat
Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #839
mac222b
Diamond Member

it's also comical to me that part of the lure of Chicago is supposedly Noah. don't get me wrong i think the guys an excellent player and i love his hustle and his schtick doesn't even really rub me the wrong way. it's just Chicago is supposed to be this ideal destination in part because of Noah? i guess... but dude averaged 10 pts. 11 boards and 1.5 blks per game last season. hmm sounds an awful lot like Brendan Haywood. i get that he's younger and more athletic and presumably can still improve a bit but he's basically Anderson Varejao 2.0.
Rose i get, he's an excellent #2 guy seems like a class act and will improve. but after that it's Noah, Taj Gibson, James Johnson and Deng whom they may have to trade. and that's it. almost literally. and you've got to play in the shadow of Jordan. if Bron doesn't deliver MULTIPLE championships in Chicago he's a failure. i guess Washington just made it alot more likely by doing the Hinrich trade so that the Bulls can possibly sign 2max guys. i just sort of doubt one of them is LeBron. i think he'll go NY or NJ where he'll be greeted as "savior" and given more leash to produce a championship.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #840
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep already posted...

Last edited by Windmill360; 06-27-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...