Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #841
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
Doesn't Dirk have a no-trade clause in his contract? This "trade Dirk" talk is a little stupid...
It would have to be a mutual thing. If Dirk wanted to retire a mav then he has that right. If the mavs don't get Deron or Dwight then it should be considered. I'd honestly rather see Dirk on a contender for the last couple years than him being the only good player on a mavs team barely treading water.

If you're watching the team you can't deny there are some serious issues. They are old and have no young talent coming up. The organization is in some serious trouble.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #842
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
It would have to be a mutual thing. If Dirk wanted to retire a mav then he has that right. If the mavs don't get Deron or Dwight then it should be considered. I'd honestly rather see Dirk on a contender for the last couple years than him being the only good player on a mavs team barely treading water.
I wouldn't. We already won that championship, so I want him here for life. I'd want him on a contender if we still hadn't won one. Just like I want Nash on a contender, even if it's not on the Mavs (and not Miami either).
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #843
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
I wouldn't. We already won that championship, so I want him here for life. I'd want him on a contender if we still hadn't won one. Just like I want Nash on a contender, even if it's not on the Mavs (and not Miami either).
Agreed.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #844
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:

If you're watching the team you can't deny there are some serious issues. They are old and have no young talent coming up. The organization is in some serious trouble.
The Mavs are a title contender in a rebuilding year with cap space in the offseason, if anything this shows how good the organization is.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #845
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Yay about Orlando making non-Howard moves. Orlando acquiring talent helps us secure Deron at a minimum.

IF we don't get Deron or Dwight, I don't think we go straight into rebuild. We still have Dirk for two years. I think you try to sign some guys like Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Grant Hill and Chris Kaman to two-year deals with Dirk, Marion, Haywood. Basically go for the mercenary model and then tear it down completely in 2014.
Not a fan of Kaman and I think you still have to think amnestying Haywood if not this offseason then next. In 2013 the guys that are unrestricted that are interesting include Nikola Pekovic, Tiago Splitter, David West, Dejuan Blair, Chris Paul, Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Manu. Then guys with player options/early termination option: Monte Ellis, Andre Iguodola, and Emeka Okofur....

There aren't really top 15 players available/stars (i assume chris will stay with the clippers long term) but there is a lot of good young talent available, you can win a title with second tier stars imo but you need at least 4 top 50 players to do so, jmo.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #846
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The Mavs are a title contender in a rebuilding year with cap space in the offseason, if anything this shows how good the organization is.
Title contender? lol. I love the mavs as much as anyone but this is ridiculous.
Last nights starting lineup
Kidd-39
Carter-35
Dirk-34
Haywood-31
Marion-33
You don't see any issues here? How about young talent? Roddy, Dojo, Mahinmi.
Mavs are on the ropes dude. If anyone can pull them out Donnie and Cuban can but it is no easy task.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #847
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kidd-39
Carter-35
Dirk-34
Haywood-31
Marion-33
Mavs are on the ropes dude. If anyone can pull them out Donnie and Cuban can but it is no easy task.
Last year:

Kidd (38)
Dirk (33)
Haywood (30)
Marion (32)
Peja (33)

One year age difference, NBA Champs.

Try again...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #848
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that most of this team isn't under contract next season, so if we don't get Deron or Dwight, we still have a sh!t-ton of cap space to sign younger talent.

Cuban and Donnie realize where this team is and have ALREADY taken the proper steps to keep this team competitive as long as Dirk is still playing in this league. Oh, and Dirk is going to retire a Maverick, so if you can't deal with that, then find another team to root for.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #849
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Last year:

Kidd (38)
Dirk (33)
Haywood (30)
Marion (32)
Peja (33)

One year age difference, NBA Champs.

Try again...
Kidd was playing at a much higher level last year. Remember the lock down D he played on Kobe? Think this years Kidd could do that?
Haywood was a non factor as the mavs had one of the most athletic 7 footers in Chandler.
Dirk of last year vs this year. Do I really need to go into that?
Marion still good.
Did you forget about letting Barea or Stevenson go?

Last years Mavs would sweep this years team in a series. And by a healthy margin each game. To compare last years team to this one really shows you either don't watch the games or you do watch them and have no idea what you're looking at. So which one is it?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #850
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
Only difference is that in that season, they wanted to join Wade, who was having an MVP caliber season... this year it's Dirk... who... well... yeah.
Dirk's what? Injured?

Dirk is also a finals MVP and champion...you know, kinda like Wade also was.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #851
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Kidd-39
Carter-35
Dirk-34
Haywood-31
Marion-33
Veteran teams win titles.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #852
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Kidd was playing at a much higher level last year. Remember the lock down D he played on Kobe? Think this years Kidd could do that?
Haywood was a non factor as the mavs had one of the most athletic 7 footers in Chandler.
Marion still good.

Last years Mavs would sweep this years team in a series. And by a healthy margin each game. To compare last years team to this one really shows you either don't watch the games or you do watch them and have no idea what you're looking at. So which one is it?
What you are showing is you didn't watch the regular season and rather just the playoffs last year, last year's teams had its share of issues just like all contenders do, this years team is no different. The only difference between last years team and this years regular season is we already know last years teams end result.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #853
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
What you are showing is you didn't watch the regular season and rather just the playoffs last year, last year's teams had its share of issues just like all contenders do, this years team is no different. The only difference between last years team and this years regular season is we already know last years teams end result.
I watched all of last season as well. I understand teams have ups and downs and it wasn't always championship level play. This years team is way different though. Dirk is breaking down. Even running up and down the court looks to be hard for him. Maybe it's just a bad year for him. I hope so and he can return to previous form. Kidd just looks flat out awful. He can't drive the ball anymore and even his passing ability has taken a big step back. How many passes have you seen this year from Kidd where you just go wow that was awesome? Not many. Turnovers you'd never thought you'd see. Terry has really struggled as well.

To even compare the two teams is beyond crazy.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #854
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

?

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 03-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #855
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To even compare the two teams is beyond crazy.
Oh look, it's the jthig tactic of trying to make your own argument look stronger than it is by dismissing the opposition as ridiculous and extreme.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #856
Underdog

Quote:
Marion still good.

- Kidd looked like crap through stretches of the regular season last year too, and he certainly didn't play any "lockdown defense" on Kobe before the playoffs rolled around. Also, his primary backup (Barea) didn't break his finger, forcing him to play heavier minutes in the middle of the season. As long as Carlisle keeps enough gas in his tank, he'll be effective in the playoffs.

- Haywood played MUCH better against Aldridge and Bynum in the playoffs than Tyson Chandler. Without him, I don't know if we even make it out of the first round (not to downplay anything that Chandler did to help this team win a ring). Quit acting like Haywood is some scrub because he isn't - the guy had an 18/10 game the other day.

- Dirk is playing through injuries. As long as he's healthy by the time the playoffs roll around, he'll be okay. No different than any other season this last decade...

- Marion is still good, which begs the question as to why you brought him up in the conversation in the first place?

- Barea and Stevenson are sh!t this season, so what's your point? Carter and West are clearly upgrades (stats don't lie).

Also, last year's Mavs didn't have to play a condensed 66 game schedule with no training camp. They're a mess right now (as in, the last couple weeks), but they certainly aren't out of the race yet. They looked absolutely HORRIBLE right before the playoffs rolled around last season and they won a ring anyway.

Oh, and since every single one of your points could be easily refuted, that last paragraph you posted is just straight trolling... Although the negative rep I just gave you has been a long time coming - you need to drop the holier-than-thou Cadbane routine, because you're not as brilliant as you think.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #857
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not a fan of Kaman and I think you still have to think amnestying Haywood if not this offseason then next. In 2013 the guys that are unrestricted that are interesting include Nikola Pekovic, Tiago Splitter, David West, Dejuan Blair, Chris Paul, Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Manu. Then guys with player options/early termination option: Monte Ellis, Andre Iguodola, and Emeka Okofur....

There aren't really top 15 players available/stars (i assume chris will stay with the clippers long term) but there is a lot of good young talent available, you can win a title with second tier stars imo but you need at least 4 top 50 players to do so, jmo.
I'm not a huge Kaman fan but he would fit the quick reload on the fly script. I was just throwing some names out there that might sign with Dallas on a two-year type deal.

You have the flexibility to amnesty Haywood whenever. It could be next year or the year after. Whenever you need the cap space most. IMO, there is no rush if 3D doesn't materialize.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 03-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #858
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Oh look, it's the jthig tactic of trying to make your own argument look stronger than it is by dismissing the opposition as ridiculous and extreme.
So you think the last years team vs this years team are legit comparisons and the mavs are contenders this year?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #859
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You seem to be ignoring the fact that most of this team isn't under contract next season, so if we don't get Deron or Dwight, we still have a sh!t-ton of cap space to sign younger talent.

Cuban and Donnie realize where this team is and have ALREADY taken the proper steps to keep this team competitive as long as Dirk is still playing in this league. Oh, and Dirk is going to retire a Maverick, so if you can't deal with that, then find another team to root for.
This offseason and trade season is make or break. We may have cap space, but at the cost of a depleted roster.

With Odom, Haywood, Marion and no one re-signed: 53.56 (6.4 mill in cap space)
Only 8 guys under contractirk, Marion, Odom, Carter, Haywood, Wright, Roddy,Dojo

With Odom buyout and nothing else: 47.76 (12mill in cap space, insufficient to sign Deron to his max)
Only 7 guys under contract: Dirk, Marion, Haywood, Carter, Wright, Roddy, Dojo

With Haywood amnestied: 45.21 (14.8mill in cap space-- a little under DWill max and a lot under Howard's max)
Only 8 guys on contract: Dirk, Marion, Odom, Carter, Wright, Roddy, Dojo

With Haywood amnestied and Odom bought out: 39.41 (20.5mill cap space which is DWill and 4mill to fill the roster or Howard and 1 mill to fill the roster.
Only 6 players under contract: Dirk, Marion, Carter, Wright, Roddy, Dojo

We can also waive Carter for a little savings and not pick up the option on Wright, but the savings on Carter would be small and a player like Wright may demand 4-5mill+ on the open market so keeping him with the min seems like a good choice. Each one depletes the roster even more, so if we dump everyone we can for cap space, we may only have 5 guys under contract and a LOT of roster spots to fill.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #860
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

there are really some rumors coming up from different sources (this for example) that we could trade Odom for Nash before the deadline.

found an interesting idea at the comment section of th HW Brigham chat:

"Johnny

Hi Joel. Dallas wants to clear cap space for next season and needs some upgrade at Guard and SF, Utah needs a big man and wants to shop C.J. Miles. Do you think if Nash tells the Suns he will not extend this summer and will only sign an extension with the Mavericks to play with friend Dirk for his last few seasons we could see a three team trade like this?

Dallas gets: Nash, Lopez, Hill, Miles, (Okur TPE)
Phoenix gets: Beaubois, Odom, Williams, Cash, Dal 2014,2016 first, 4 Dal second rnd picks
Utah gets: Haywood, Jones"

good trade for the 3 teams? u think sth like this is possible? What do you guys think?
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #861
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:

couldn't agree more, Cuban and Donnie are proven in terms of player transaction, they won't sign someone just becaue they have the money. You can also take on trades to fill up the cap space. I mean some teams want to unload a player, take a draft pick with it. I mean the Cavs took on Baron and got a lottery pick from the Clippers. So we aren't just limited to Dwight and Deron.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #862
mavs777
Diamond Member

the odom for nash deal makes no sense for phoenix, Lamar won't be happy there and why would phoenix want him anyways? they need youth and picks

Last edited by mavs777; 03-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #863
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This offseason and trade season is make or break. We may have cap space, but at the cost of a depleted roster.

With Odom, Haywood, Marion and no one re-signed: 53.56 (6.4 mill in cap space)
Only 8 guys under contractirk, Marion, Odom, Carter, Haywood, Wright, Roddy,Dojo

With Odom buyout and nothing else: 47.76 (12mill in cap space, insufficient to sign Deron to his max)
Only 7 guys under contract: Dirk, Marion, Haywood, Carter, Wright, Roddy, Dojo

With Haywood amnestied: 45.21 (14.8mill in cap space-- a little under DWill max and a lot under Howard's max)
Only 8 guys on contract: Dirk, Marion, Odom, Carter, Wright, Roddy, Dojo

With Haywood amnestied and Odom bought out: 39.41 (20.5mill cap space which is DWill and 4mill to fill the roster or Howard and 1 mill to fill the roster.
Only 6 players under contract: Dirk, Marion, Carter, Wright, Roddy, Dojo

We can also waive Carter for a little savings and not pick up the option on Wright, but the savings on Carter would be small and a player like Wright may demand 4-5mill+ on the open market so keeping him with the min seems like a good choice. Each one depletes the roster even more, so if we dump everyone we can for cap space, we may only have 5 guys under contract and a LOT of roster spots to fill.
Why would we dump everyone for cap space if we don't end up getting Deron and/or Dwight? We'll still have a ton of cap space regardless, even if we keep Haywood...

Besides, there are all sorts of ways to build a team when you aren't loaded down with bloated contracts. For example, we could sign Steve Nash to a 1-year deal this summer then go after Chris Paul in 2013 (or any number of similar strategies...)

I trust that Donnie & Cubes have sufficient backup plans for this summer.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #864
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

DERAILED!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #865
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Why would we dump everyone for cap space if we don't end up getting Deron and/or Dwight? We'll still have a ton of cap space regardless, even if we keep Haywood...

Besides, there are all sorts of ways to build a team when you aren't loaded down with bloated contracts. For example, we could sign Steve Nash to a 1-year deal this summer then go after Chris Paul in 2013 (or any number of similar strategies...)

I trust that Donnie & Cubes have sufficient backup plans for this summer.
Guys to keep:
Dirk - one of the best to ever play
Wright- cheap, effective and probably worth 4-5 times the min on the market
Carter- we're really stuck with some of his salary, but at 3mill he's cheap and can play 20mpg

Guys in the middle:
Ian Mahinmi- decent center with a spark offensively. Wright does what he does but if he remains a bargain, he'd be worth it. For 4-5mill he needs to walk.
Cardinal- the definition of a good investment with the min because of his leadership and lockerroom presence. Not a bad fit for the 10-15th man but not a guy you depend on.
Delonte- great player to have for cheap, but not worth a lot more than 2-3 mill a year.
Marion- one of the most underrated defensive players in the league and one of the most versatile. He just gets paid too much and is beginning to slow down. I want him to stay but he's also got an albatross of a contract.
Jones- trade him if you can, otherwise he's a cheap benchwarmer
Roddy- at 2mill, he's not bad, but he's plateaued and we've seen all he's really capable of.
Odom- may be gone anyway, but he may be able to work himself into a decent player here. If you can trade him, you pull the trigger. He'd be more valuable if the team had until after FA season to decide on him.

Guys to leave behind:
Terry- He's aging and we simply cannot afford to keep him around for anywhere close to the money he'll probably demand. He's the ballsiest player we have at times, but can be a bad influence on the lockerroom at times.
Kidd- He'll retire and if he doesnt, he won't be good to us.
Haywood- Not bad, just a bit too pricey and too inconsistent. Completely redundant with Howard, slightly more desirable without.
Yi- Not a bad player for the 14th spot, but not a guy you need.
Williams- probably won't get PT no matter what. Cheap but won't hit the floor.

Next year's roster is going to look very different no matter what simply because Kidd won't be back and Terry most likely won't. I can't imagine how crazy the finances would look if we had 18 mill tied up in JJB and Chandler with much of our core aging, retiring or walking for more late-career money.

Even if we could keep this roster, its a roster that is in NBA purgatory. We're good enough (with Dirk) to be a playoff team, but we are saddled with bad salaries and we aren't competing in the later rounds of the playoffs. We're in that difficult spot that the Hawks, Celtics, Knicks, Spurs and Magic are in where we're winning but not competing.

This roster will be and needs to be very different next year.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #866
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What a random shot from out of nowhere. Weird.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #867
mavs777
Diamond Member

Yeah i don't trust broussard and his sources but i will still post this.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/dallas-in-...-dwight-howard
Quote:
Dallas in Lead to Land Dwight Howard?

Nonetheless, one Eastern Conference executive said he believes that if (Dwight) Howard is traded before the deadline, it will be to New Jersey. But the Nets should not begin stitching Howard’s jersey just yet. The same executive, as well as several others around the association, believe the longer this goes on without a resolution, the better Dallas’ chances of snagging both Howard and (Deron) Williams. Mavs owner Mark Cuban is positioning himself to make a run at both players and if he can move Shawn Marion after the season, he could be in position to offer both players near-max deals. Williams, a Dallas native, would love to play in his hometown, and Howard, Dirk Nowitzki and he could form a big three that would rival Miami’s.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #868
Underdog

Quote:
Yeah i don't trust broussard and his sources but i will still post this.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/dallas-in-...-dwight-howard
Yesterday, Chris Broussard was claiming that the plan all along was for Dwight to finish this season in Orlando then sign in New Jersey this summer, but today he's saying, "not so much?"

Last edited by Underdog; 03-01-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #869
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

NetsDaily is still cracking me up. Those guys are going to blow an absolute gasket if this thing doesn't work out for them.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #870
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
What a random shot from out of nowhere. Weird.
Hey I enjoy reading your posts, Thig. I just often wonder why you always feel the need to footnote every argument with some version of "Your position is ridiculous," instead of just letting your own argument speak for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
DERAILED!
I'm doing my absolute best.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #871
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
this.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #872
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
NetsDaily is still cracking me up. Those guys are going to blow an absolute gasket if this thing doesn't work out for them.
he's almost as bad as henry sanchez on twitter, pretty much all my twitter searches he is saying something completley ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #873
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kidd-39
Carter-35
Dirk-34
Haywood-31
Marion-33
If this team is in the playoffs then they are a title contender. This is the kind of knee jerk reactions that suckers make inthe stock market all of the time.

This season is a killer on old teams, I don't know how they will respond after this cluster ofmamseason is over...but if you are saying those same players who won it all last year are all completely done I call bs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #874
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Marion still good.

You mean playing once every three days instead of four days in five nights?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #875
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

People forget last season completely.

1) All season people whined that Kidd was done, and then he played some of the sharpest defense of his career in the playoffs and we wouldn't have won without him.

2) All season the Mavs team had the same ups and downs as we are having this year. We couldn't blow out teams. Many nights we couldnt score 85. Many nights our defense was terrible. We even had an incredibly bad record against playoff teams.

3) Everyone complained that we were the oldest in the league and couldn't win in the playoffs.

4) Many (myself included) saw an overwhelming and worrisome lack of consistency and quality play last year. We didn't dominate last regular season. We won a lot of gutsy games but rarely dominated anyone. Our high number of wins belies the fact that we had to come back dozens of times and almost gave away even more games.

Now, I don't have confidence this year-- mostly because we reduced our talent level and we just can't stay healthy and gassed up during this season. Dirk can't stay healthy, other guys are in and out and many times the health of a team is just dumb luck. This year we aren't terribly lucky and the numbers are against us with this crazy season.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-01-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #876
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
People forget last season completely.

1) All season people whined that Kidd was done, and then he played some of the sharpest defense of his career in the playoffs and we wouldn't have won without him.

2) All season the Mavs team had the same ups and downs as we are having this year. We couldn't blow out teams. Many nights we couldnt score 85. Many nights our defense was terrible. We even had an incredibly bad record against playoff teams.

3) Everyone complained that we were the oldest in the league and couldn't win in the playoffs.

4) Many (myself included) saw an overwhelming and worrisome lack of consistency and quality play last year. We didn't dominate last regular season. We won a lot of gutsy games but rarely dominated anyone. Our high number of wins belies the fact that we had to come back dozens of times and almost gave away even more games.

Now, I don't have confidence this year-- mostly because we reduced our talent level and we just can't stay healthy and gassed up during this season. Dirk can't stay healthy, other guys are in and out and many times the health of a team is just dumb luck. This year we aren't terribly lucky and the numbers are against us with this crazy season.
+1. Many fans have very short memories. And there is a reason that shooting is down all over the league. It is going to be really a screwed up season. I mean 9 games in 12 nights....some folks think..big whoop, it's insane.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #877
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hey I enjoy reading your posts, Thig. I just often wonder why you always feel the need to footnote every argument with some version of "Your position is ridiculous," instead of just letting your own argument speak for itself.

I'm doing my absolute best.
Haha, I love me some jthig but that is quite jthig.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #878
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

It's impossible to calculate percentages for how likely things will unfold but this "improves the odds" and "increases chances" stuff is just annoying. I suppose it gets sportswriters paid but if Dwight Howard has his set on being in an entertainment capital type area to sign endorsement contracts worth 200M+, Dallas' chances being "improved" could merely mean 5% chance to 10% chance, which is great improvement, but ultimately is still more pipedream than anything else.

I think I'm going to swing from being super hopeful to being super cynical just because of all the media wind that is being blown up our ass.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #879
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

Quote:
We had a devastating record against Western conference playoffs teams after the all-star game last regular season. We lost 9 in a row and just managed to win the last one against New Orleans (without key players being played heavy minutes on both sides i think)

Memphis L 103–104
@ New Orleans L 92–93
LA Lakers L 91–96
@ Portland L 101–104
San Antonio L 91–97
@ LA Lakers L 82–110
@ Portland L 96–104
Denver L 96–104
New Orleans W 121–89

A lot of Mavs fans didn't believe in the Team and many Western Conference teams wanted to play us in the first round last season. The team wasn't bad in the postseason last offseason i think
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #880
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight