Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 PM   #881
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Lost

AHHHHHH

Dear Lost,
I hate you. Why lead me to believe that you might have some answers for me, then kill me with your season finale? I hate you LOST.
Sincerely, Cheesestar
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #882
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough

Damnit I knew they'd leave us with more questions...but still....aghh how can I wait till next season!?!?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:05 PM   #883
cheesestar
Golden Member

actually, this wasnt a bad episode........................................... if it were the episode right before the season finale

i didnt catch this at first, but danielle said she heard the others saying that they wanted a boy..guess that boy turned out to be walt instead of claires baby. aghhh the hatch is killing me, i think i want to know more about it than locke
Old 05-25-2005, 09:05 PM   #884
Jbrjo

Default RE: Lost

bah....they suck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] how can we wait till next season...they prob wont answer our questions till the series finale :l
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #885
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

they sure seem to be creating more questions than answering any questions.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #886
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

it was pretty good. though wasn't there SUPPOSED to be a 30 min segment commercial-free? What happened to that jeesh. Everytime something interesting happened, wham a commercial. Also, Way to go Walt's dad, should have listened to your instincts.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #887
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ok, so we now know the pirate ship was probably traveling off the east coast of africa. we know the main characters were traveling east from Australia. We know the drug plane was flying from Nigeria.

I posted this theory a few episodes ago (got it from another site), and it looks like this may be the theory the show is running off of:

Vile Vortices

note off the east coast of africa. Mining?

So this island is the place that all the Vile Vortices transport someone to? definitely lends creedence to the theory.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #888
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, no big answers. but what did the finale do? it left us wanting to watch the next episode. which is next season. which makes me mad that the summer is so long...

now yes, if this ends up like a show like twin peaks, with no answered questions season after season, i'll be pissed.

but i thought this was a great show, and the scene with the "others" was damn good. pretty cool to see that they were just normal people... how long have they been there?

and at least they got the hatch open. i expected the dynamite to have no effect.

so did charlie actually take the smack? or just a statuette?

nice foreshadowing with the line "we're gonna have a locke problem"
Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #889
cheesestar
Golden Member

so the season ends with:

-jin in the water trying to save sawyer who i think is shot
-michael in the water because the raft i blown up
-the other taking walt
-charlie with cocaine
-kate, locke and jack at the hatch which seems to be a tunnel into something huge

the only thing that got resolved was claire getting her baby back. i didn't catch what happened to danielle, anyone else see anything about her?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #890
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

she probably just broke down mentally even more.

so was the plane crash orchestrated by the others to get walt? as of right now, it appears that the others simply operate based on fear. but we don't know how many there are. or how long they've been there. but i'm sure we'll see the good guys duke it out with them.

something in the back of my mind tells me charlie didn't actually take the heroin.

long shaft in the hatch. with a broken ladder.

all the things you mentioned are excellent cliffhangers. let's hope the season opener delivers.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #891
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid Question 2: Does anyone on the island know Hurley as "Hugo"?

Locke called him "Hugo" - don't know that I'd ever heard that before.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #892
Jbrjo

I thought back in one of the beginning episodes Hurley told someone his name, but I cant remember who or if it was in a backstory??

BBL the ladder was broken? I didnt notice that
Old 05-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #893
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

mary: Hugo Reyes is his real name. That was revealed in his episode backstory.

I could care less about the hatch now. I want to know what the hell they want with Walt.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 PM   #894
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

hurley revealed that to jack some time ago, in the same episode where hurley creates the census.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #895
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

pissed a bit? No Doubt. Pissed that they keep toying with loyal viewers? Yes! Why not at least show the freakin monster instead of using the preditor invisable thing...I thought that was cheap. Also, the "monster" is obviously not a biological creature but machine...this is what I assumed for the past three weeks or so. Also, the "monster" is based underground? Is that what they were telling us?

Are we to assume that the people on the boat were the "others"?

good job recognizing that they did not want Aaron but Walt.....why the heck do they want a kid???? How the heck do they cast those whispers in the woods...and how do they know the inner secrets of the castaways?

seriously though....did we get one freakin answer? The only resolution we got is Claire getting her baby back and that the kid's name is Aaron...neither of which I was too interested in anyway......

things they did not even attempt to satisfy me on: The flipping Hatch, The Black Rock (thats it? We're just supposed to accept that a ship that old is were it is?), The Monster (other than the fact that Locke does not fear it and that it is at least partially mechanical and invisable, and works with underground tunnels, what did we learn?) what the heck the numbers are...yeah they're bad...but why?

OH, AND I HATED HOW THEY KEPT GOING TO FLASHBACKS JUST TO TELL US THAT THEY ARE PASSED EACHOTHER AT SOME POINT...GIVE ME INFO PLEASE!!!

well, it looks as though they are setting this thing up for the long haul.....which will make for a longer series....but dang it....they just kept us dangling for several months. I really do not like it.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #896
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

-- I dont know my drugs, but it seems like heroin is what Charley was hooked on. Coincidence?

-- The hatch looked like it went down more than a couple hundred feet and about 40-50 feet down it looked like the ladder was broken off. Looks like there is something deep inside the island, and unless Locke decides to jump down, there isnt much they can discover

-- what the hell do the numbers mean on the side of the hatch? Why are the writer's so annoying that Hurley couldnt tell us what he knew? Why is Locke so obsessed with killing himself and everyone else?

-- We know a little more about the security system-- there is a chain bit with a grabber, and there is an element that can pop trees right out of the ground-- it isnt something enormous above ground like a dinosaur. Is it made to crush people or just scare them off?

-- Sawyer was shot trying to be a hero and things are bad. Anyone wanna bet the crew washes back up on the island and that the pirates/slave dealers have a camp on the island or somehow crash there too?

I guess Im not as annoyed as most because I finally got caught up last weekend. I was able to watch 5 episodes in a row which was very nice. I could see how seeing a show at a time would be very disjointed and annoying. Just really sucks that Im now both without my Mavs and without my Lost.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:42 AM   #897
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
-- I dont know my drugs, but it seems like heroin is what Charley was hooked on. Coincidence?
Quote:
yeah...he likey the durggy
-- The hatch looked like it went down more than a couple hundred feet and about 40-50 feet down it looked like the ladder was broken off. Looks like there is something deep inside the island, and unless Locke decides to jump down, there isnt much they can discover
Quote:
rope
-- what the hell do the numbers mean on the side of the hatch? Why are the writer's so annoying that Hurley couldnt tell us what he knew? Why is Locke so obsessed with killing himself and everyone else?
Quote:
because they are punks and Locke is only half sane(hey would you react if you felt an island gave you back your legs....and summond you to sacrifice your pal?
-- We know a little more about the security system-- there is a chain bit with a grabber, and there is an element that can pop trees right out of the ground-- it isnt something enormous above ground like a dinosaur. Is it made to crush people or just scare them off
Quote:
do the trees pop out because they are torn out or because they are pushed out from beneath? it seems that only part of the "monster" is above ground.....why can't Locke tell us what the thing freaking looked like to him when he saw it back in the early episodes???? He said it was beautifu
-- Sawyer was shot trying to be a hero and things are bad. Anyone wanna bet the crew washes back up on the island and that the pirates/slave dealers have a camp on the island or somehow crash there too?
Quote:
yeah, I hope those guys in the boat were not the "others"....pirates and slave dealers would be much more to my liking....but a boat that small could not get too far from a port with fuel, so their base is close
Quote:
too many freakin questions!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #898
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Guys..... It's not a traditional monster. We did see part of it. The bird, the huge bird. That is part of the "security system".

And EL... the people in the boar are the "others". We/they just assumed the others wanted the other "boy".

I thought it was a good episode. If you thought all the questions would be answered you were just fooling yourself. Did we ever see Charlie? Did we ever see Mork's boss?

If they answered all the questions in one season it is possible that they wouldn't be able to continue the show on what was left...... and I trust they will milk this for all it's worth.

Take for instance Alias. Last night culminated a story line that has gone on for two years. Well, OK.... now what? Now it's just going to be about Sydney and "Vaughn" getting married? (or healing first and then getting married)
Old 05-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #899
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Everybody needs to calm down about Lost not answering questions. Lost isn't the X-files, where they just kept adding layers and layers of minutia with no idea of how it would all work out. I am confident that eventually all the questions in Lost will work themselves out.

Take for example, JJ Abrams other show, Alias, which also had its season finale last night. There was a real chance that last night's episode was going to be the series finale as opposed to just the season finale. And if you watched, they basically worked everything out. Oh, sure, they added a twist at the end, but in my opinion, they pretty clearly added that at the last moment when they knew: (i) the show was coming back; and (ii) Jennifer Garner was pregnant. If you take out the very last scene in Alias, they could have ended the whole series right there with very few questions remaining.

But seriously, if you thought last night's Lost was going to answer all your questions, you are incredibly naive.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM   #900
sike
The Preacha

don't be condescending, Dooby. I did not expect them to lay out a road map to the series, but I did want more than I got. All they did was extend questions in this episode...they did little more than lay groundwork for season two...of course they have the right to do it that way, but I felt like they said in the final season one episode they were going to answer some questions...and it turns out.....not so much.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #901
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
hurley revealed that to jack some time ago, in the same episode where hurley creates the census.
Thank you - I knew that was his name, I just didn't know Locke knew that was his name. On the raft, Sawyer was reading "Hugo's" letter, and he didn't know who it was from. I thought that was the writers' way of reminding us that the people on the island know him as "Hurley".

Whether or not Locke learned his real name from Jack, the census, or Hurley himself, I suspect that Locke knows Hurley is the owner of the box company.

Can someone answer my dynamite question? Wouldn't you expect an abandoned slave ship from Africa to be much older than the invention of dynamite?

I thought we got plenty of "answers" in the finale, at least at much as we could've hoped for.

The Big Bad MoFo Security System is just that - a "system" that is being operated underground. It can grab people and pull them under.

Claire's baby was a red herring - that was easy enough to figure out mid-episode when Jack caught up with the French Chick at the fire and she said they wanted "The Boy". The Others originally thought that Claire's baby was "The Boy", and so they kidnapped her. But then they must've discovered he wasn't "The Boy", so they let Clair go. They then set up plans to capture the Walt, the correct one.

What do they want with Walt? Well, Walt makes "things happen". Clearly, The Others want something to "happen" and they need Walt to do it. I don't know how they get their information, but it must be through some either supernatural or higher being - they just know too much information. I'm thinking The Others must have a Boss. But I could be completely off on that point.

We know that the hatch is a very long entrance into the underground facilities underneath the island, or perhaps specifically to the Big Bad MoFo Security System. Its seems so obvious now!

We know that Jack is going to have a "Locke" problem next season. I suspect that at some point, Locke will "flip" and join The Others in their quest to make something happen, whatever it is. Locke is NOT a good guy. I don't care what you say!

We got to see what The Others looke like - there's a blonde chic and bunch of guys you would probably would not want working at your local day care. I can't wait to go back and watch that scene again to get another good look at them.

We know The Others have FUEL!

Jin, Sawyer, Michael - one of them ain't making it back to the island. I think Michael is a lock for survival, because the writers aren't going to pass up a father and son reunion. Sawyer's probably coming back. Those two will find the ice cooler and swim back to the island ala "JAWS" style. Jin made the horrible mistake of giving Michael back the Watch. Whenever a relatively minor character gives away an object of significance to someone else (especially if that minor character is seperated from his wife), then he is a DEAD MAN. It is the equiavelent of sitting at home alone at night, and talking on the phone while the tv is going, in a living room with big fancy French doors that lead out onto the patio - you're just asking for trouble!

Okay, that's all I have for know - got to go back to work.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #902
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
OH, AND I HATED HOW THEY KEPT GOING TO FLASHBACKS JUST TO TELL US THAT THEY ARE PASSED EACHOTHER AT SOME POINT...GIVE ME INFO PLEASE!!!
I thought that was fairly pointless as well. It also didn't seem like a two hour show because there were so many commercials. Were there more than usual? It felt like it.

Although I did enjoy the Hurley flashback. Hurley sweating profusely in the airport was high comedy. What's up with the look he exchanged with Walt? Did it make Walt laugh because he was fat and sweaty?

Old 05-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #903
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i didn't mind the flashbacks. i thought we would get more info as to why the plane crashed, but we did get a lot of questions answered. we know walt overheard his dad on the phone. we know jin was scared out of his plan to escape. i thought it had some nice little touching moments as well.

u2, i don't think the bird was part of the security system. hell, it may be, but i just took it as being scared off by the monster. and what was it? looked like an eagle.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #904
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Can someone answer my dynamite question? Wouldn't you expect an abandoned slave ship from Africa to be much older than the invention of dynamite?
Alfred Nobel (of the Nobel Prize fame) invented dynamite in 1867.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #905
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Alfred Nobel (of the Nobel Prize fame) invented dynamite in 1867.
Invented in 1867, and I'm guessing widely distributed much later than that. Were there still slave ships around the turn of the century, and if so, where were they going? That's the part I'm unclear about.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #906
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

also, why would arzt take a dynamite stick with so much Nitro on it? just so he could blow up?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #907
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

man, this is a great show. What a great episode. 2 Big questions I'm looking forward to exploring in the upcoming season:
1) why Walt? The Others have obviously been there a long time, sucking people to the island and taking kids. What are they looking for? Do Walt's powers make him "the one" that they are looking for, or do they grab one every generation or so that can make birds and polar bears appear? What do they need him for? To power their island? To get off this planet and go back home? A sacrifice to the mole people?

2) Why the numbers? The best thing about this episode is that the number coincidences got a little more explicit. The people on the island will probably investigate number coincidences about as heartily as they explored the monster (barely at all). If they do, though, if they give some kinda reason for the power of the numbers, I'll be happy. I don't care how flimsy a gimmick they need to tie together the dates, lotto numbers, flight numbers, etc. - it could be subspace vortex, tri-lateral commission, or alien raybeams. As long as it's more than 'that magic numerology thing', it can be a good mechanism underlying the others, the power of the island, the plane crash, the hatch, everything.

Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM   #908
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I read when Hurley was rushing to his flight he passes girls in soccer numbers. The numbers on the back of their jerseys were all of Hurley's bad numbers.

Also, I am assumming the Others boat was gas operated. If they have been on the island for a long time they need to be able to get their gas from somewhere. They also had a big light on their boat. It will be interesting to find out where they are getting these sources from.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #909
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Also, I couldn't believe how big the island was when the boat was leaving the coastline. I am surprised 4 or 5 of the passengers haven't tried walking around the island on the shore. I know Sayid started to do this but he found the cable on the beach and abandoned his walk.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #910
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, going back to what i mentioned earlier, look where mozambique is:

right near one of the Vile Vortices.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #911
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Why didn't they drop the torch down the damn hatch once they saw the ladder was broken?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #912
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I am surprised 4 or 5 of the passengers haven't tried walking around the island on the shore.
the writers said this would be a major theme of season 2. but you are correct, they would have had at least one or five more ambitious people who would have checked this island out....I know I would have.

so we know at least some of the island was under water at some point, right? How else does a slave ship get that far inland? There must have been a river there at some point.

also, I don't like the idea of those dirty guys/chick on the boad being the others...it just does not seem right. For a while I thought the blonde on the boat might be Alex, but on a second look, she is far older than 16.

Artz blowing up was perfectly funny...I think doc should try it just to make the rest of us laugh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jack irritates me....Locke has become slightly less interesting to me over the last couple episodes....

Season 2 needs to come quickly....you know, so they can keep teasing us with the prospective of revealing answers while in actuality they just keep laughing at us all.

finding out that the French chick was the one who tried to steal the baby initially WAS very interesting....because I think most of us had either assumed that Claire was having dreams of what was to come or because it was Ethan....but now this opens up another question...."Was Ethan one of the "Others"...was he and the French chick working together in anyway? blah, blah, blah

Old 05-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #913
mary
Troll Hunter

[finding out that the French chick was the one who tried to steal the baby initially WAS very interesting....because I think most of us had either assumed that Claire was having dreams of what was to come or because it was Ethan....but now this opens up another question...."Was Ethan one of the "Others"...was he and the French chick working together in anyway? blah, blah, blah[/quote]

That's a good question. Ethan doesn't seem to fit with the people on the boat.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #914
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
[finding out that the French chick was the one who tried to steal the baby initially WAS very interesting....because I think most of us had either assumed that Claire was having dreams of what was to come or because it was Ethan....but now this opens up another question...."Was Ethan one of the "Others"...was he and the French chick working together in anyway? blah, blah, blah
That's a good question. Ethan doesn't seem to fit with the people on the boat.[/quote]
great point mary. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #915
cheesestar
Golden Member

i had a few specualtions...

-could alex be one of the men on the sip?
-i dont think anyone could fit down the small hatch
Old 05-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #916
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like there are no fewer than 2 different others--

The underground people (if they are still alive)
The slave traders (who wanted Walt and who frankly seem like rednecks incapable of understanding the island's technology)
Danielle-- does she live alone? Does she know a lot more about the tech of the island than she lets on?
Ethan-- whoever he was attached to-- Danielle, the underground people, another group...

And who were the others that took Danielle's infant 16 years before? Doesnt sound like the same MO.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #917
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: cheesestar
i had a few specualtions...

-could alex be one of the men on the sip?
-i dont think anyone could fit down the small hatch
Alex is a girl....or so the French lady tells us

unless Umpa Loompa's built the hatch...then why is there a ladder? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #918
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

The Black Rock would not have been a ship headed for the US because slavery had been abolished two years before there.

However, slavery did not end in 1833 when Britain freed the slaves, or in 1865 when we did. The slave trade to Central and South America was very strong in the decades after the 1860s. Between the protiftability of sugar and rubber, and the minerals which were found in abundance, slavery was very popular.

In Brazil, slavery was officially ended in 1888 by the Lei Áurea. In total Brazil made up 37% of the slave trade (per capita in slaves) and more than 3 million total were shipped to Brazil.

A slave boat leaving Africa between 1868 and 1888 for Central America, South America and the Carribbean would have been an all too common occurance. The ship very well could have been heading to other parts of the world as well.

I also found it interesting that the Dutch brought slaves from Korea, Vietnam, Laos and other countries INTO South Africa to be slaves. They did this until the late 1800s.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #919
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

"Dude...... you have a piece of Arzt on you"
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #920
sike
The Preacha

"the numbers are bad....the numbersa are bad!!!!!!!"

by the by...EL I really like that new sig....it almost looks like the bear knows what he's doing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]