Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #881
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
training camp was in the alamodome last year...i'm pretty sure that's climate controlled.
No! They make you earn it at the alamodome!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #882
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Newman out a minimum of 3 weeks with a groin injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=3510263

Cowboys CB Newman to miss at least three weeks of practice

OXNARD, Calif. -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman will miss at least three weeks of practice because of a groin injury, another early setback for the player coming off his first Pro Bowl season.

Coach Wade Phillips said an MRI on Tuesday revealed a "significant" injury to Newman's left groin.

"We're a little disappointed because he plays the nickel for us, he really needs working at it," Phillips said.

"We had some specific things we thought we could help him with, so it's going to slow down that process. But he'll just have to study those three weeks."

Newman was on the field in shorts and a T-shirt for the team's only practice Tuesday, like he was for afternoon practice Monday after he got hurt in the morning session that day. Newman was injured when he became tangled up with a receiver during a play and his leg twisted awkwardly.

Newman, the 2003 first-round pick going into his sixth NFL season, has refused to answer questions about his injury.

This is the second year in a row Newman has been injured in the preseason. Last year, Newman was sidelined after the first preseason game because of a slight tear in the tissue in the base of his right foot. He missed the first two games of the regular season.

NFC East blog

Newman still had 62 tackles and four interceptions in 2007.

The latest injury to Newman could mean more time for new cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, though Phillips said Jones would for now remain primarily at right cornerback behind starter Aaron Henry on the opposite side of Newman.

"We will move him at some point, but I want to make sure he feels comfortable before we start moving him around," Phillips said. "I think he could certainly do it and he's done it before. I want him to feel comfortable where he is in one place. ... When we get a feel that he's fine there, we'll flip him."

But when the Cowboys started drills Tuesday, Jones was in Newman's spot with the first-team defense instead of rookie Mike Jenkins, one of the team's first-round picks.

While the still-suspended Jones is trying to get back in playing shape after a year out of the NFL, he said this week he was trying to grasp the coverages in the Cowboys' defense.

"He's a football player. He knows how to do a lot of things," Phillips said. "It's getting comfortable with what our terminology is first and then techniques that we want to try to help him do better, and then techniques that are involved in certain coverages that we have."

Returning to the field Tuesday was linebacker Justin Rogers, who sat out Monday due to dehydration sustained when he practiced despite a virus the previous day.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

--------

This could be the single worst day in the 2008 year for Dallas-area sports teams.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #883
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

of all the key cowboys that could get hurt, I think Newman hurts the least (for the beginning of the season.) He knows the scheme of things and whats expected of him and he should be able to hop right back into his position after he's healed. plus we'll get to have a better look at some of the other guys.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 07-29-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #884
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the worst day strictly because of Newman's injury.

Contact Me
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #885
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mid-Day Report
Injuries Continue To Test Cowboys Depth

link

What's The Scoop:

The disappointment in cornerback Terence Newman's face is hard to miss. For the second straight year an injury has likely ended his preseason and jeopardized his availability for the start of the regular season. And unfortunately for the Cowboys, he's not alone in feeling the pain after Wednesday's morning session.

Linebacker DeMarcus Ware missed the last two plays of practice after a head-to-head collision with offensive tackle Marc Colombo. He was helped off the field by trainers but said he would be all right, he just had his bell rung.

Alan Ball, who had been working as the slot cornerback in Newman's stead, left practice with an ankle sprain. Cornerback Quincy Butler and linebacker Tearrius George also continued rehab assignments after injuries suffered earlier in camp. Newman told David Smoak of KTBB radio in Tyler, Texas, on Tuesday night injuries are an inevitability, and the Cowboys are fortunate to have a new-found depth at cornerback.

"When you have the depth that we have right now at the cornerback position it definitely helps," Newman said. "Everybody is going to probably play during the season at one point in time."

Newman has shown an understandable frustration with his own injury, but said being hurt just means he'll have to continue to contribute heavily in film study and meetings.

"As far as study-wise, I'm in meetings and chime out stuff even before coach chimes out stuff half the time," Newman said. "So I know he probably gets sick of me back there (in the meetings) adding onto stuff that he says but I think I have a pretty good grasp of the defense right now and that aspect wont' affect me at all."

The Tuesday interview with Smoak is the only time Newman has commented publicly since suffering a slight groin tear Monday. The injury is expected to last at least three weeks, though Newman said there's no point in trying to hurry back.

"It's not that severe of an injury, it's more right now, being so early you don't want to rush to get back and then have to deal with something else down the line," Newman said. "A lot of times one injury can lead to another injury if you do rush back because you're compensating one way or another, so we're just taking our time, letting it heal, and trying to get ready towards the end of camp.

"The biggest thing for me is the conditioning issue, you're obviously trying to perfect your craft, and when you're back there backpedaling or pressing a guy, I'm definitely going to miss out on that and conditioning obviously."

Quick Shots:

* Recently-released receiver Terry Glenn will reportedly be re-uniting with Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano in Miami. Pending a physical, Glenn would become the fifth Cowboys player from a year ago to join the Dolphins this off-season.

* For the second-straight day Marcus Spears and Jay Ratliff worked exclusively at new defensive line positions. Ratliff seemed slightly perturbed with the move, but continued to work at defensive end, and Spears had his second consecutive practice at the nose.

* The defense got the better of the offense in the morning drills, collecting some pass breakups and a goal-line interception by Courtney Brown. While the running backs had some huge holes to run through, the passing game was out of sync all practice.

* Adam Jones worked some at left cornerback with the first team opposite Anthony Henry in 11-on-11 drills, and split time with Mike Jenkins at that spot in 7-on-7 work. He is at right cornerback on the second team defense.

* Former SMU linebacker Justin Rogers moved back outside with the third team in Wednesday's work, with Bobby Carpenter back as the No. 2 Mike linebacker. Carpenter also practiced at the Mo inside spot with the third team.

* Felix Jones and Marion Barber operated out of the same backfield at least one time in practice with Barber as the fullback and Jones motioning from wide receiver. The play was an inside trap handoff to Barber.

You Should've Seen:
Adam Jones has shown his prowess catching multiple punts at the same time, but today he showed his kickoff-fielding tricks. When the team practiced special teams Jones received kickoffs one-handed, cradling the ball against his chest. On so many levels you can put Jones on the list of "It's a good thing Bill Parcells isn't here, becauseā€¦" Parcells was a stickler for kick-catching form.

Who's Hot:
Kevin Burnett. There's no competition for the nickel linebacker job because Burnett is far-and-away the best coverage 'backer the Cowboys have. Yesterday he blanketed tight end Tony Curtis on a couple of seam routes, deflecting one pass, and today he broke up a Romo pass in goal-line drills.

Who's Not:
Erik Walden. There was some thought this off-season Walden could be a diamond-in-the-rough as a sixth-round pick, but the converted defensive end hasn't shown it yet. As an outside linebacker he's been just about invisible. Either the action is over his head, so far, or he's too small, because he's getting pushed around and is rarely in on a play.

Injury Update:
LB DeMarcus Ware, blow to head (7/30)
CB Alan Ball, sprained ankle (7/30)
CB Terence Newman, groin - out three weeks (7/28)
CB Quincy Butler, hamstring - day-to-day (7/27)
LB Tearrius George, bone bruise - day-to-day (7/26)

Missed Practice:
CB Terence Newman (groin)
CB Quincy Butler (hamstring)
LB Tearrius George (bone bruise)

Returned to Practice:
LB Justin Rogers (dehyrdration/stomach virus)

Transactions:
WR Todd Lowber, signed (7/27)
WR Terry Glenn, waived (7/25)
QB Jeff Terrell, signed (7/25)
LB Khari Long, waived (7/24)

Wade's Best:
"Nicknames are coming back. In the old days they used to have a lot of nicknames - Bronko Nagurski. Whatever they prefer, I'll call them that. A lot people call me S.O.B. and I say that's a Son of a Bum." - When discussing the prevalence of aliases on the team such as Adam "Pacman" Jones, Terry "Tank" Johnson and Marion "The Barbarian" Barber.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 AM   #886
alby
Guru

It's not all trash talk between T.O. and Pacman

7:39 PM Wed, Jul 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

If you get close enough, you'll see a lot of lips moving when T.O. and Adam "Pacman" Jones square off during practices.

Some of that is good, old-fashioned talking noise between two competitors who love playing to the crowds here in Oxnard. But a lot of the conversation between the two headliners is productive.

Take, for example, the skinny post on which T.O. toasted Pacman the other day. There was a lot of show on that play, with Pacman waving his hands beforehand to hype the crowd, Tony Romo replacing Richard Bartel right before the snap and T.O. spiking the ball and soaking in the crowd's cheers after scoring.

Once things quieted down, Pacman asked T.O. why he was able to get inside him so fast. T.O. said it was all about taking advantage of Pacman turning his hips when T.O. juked outside, advising him to stay on top of the receiver when he turned his hips.

"Just little things, man," Pacman said this afternoon. "I've got a lot to learn. I'm not a rookie in this game. I am a veteran, but you're never too good to learn more. That's what I'm doing."

But Pacman wants to make sure folks know he's holding his own in this camp's headline showdown. By his count, he's up one practice on T.O.

---

You gotta love T.O.'s leadership and the competitive banter between him and Adam. It's going to be a good year.

Contact Me
Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 AM   #887
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default today's fix

Nose Change
Camp Notes: Spears, Ratliff Continue Position Shuffle

OXNARD, Calif. - For the second consecutive day the Cowboys' first-team defensive line made a noticeable shift: Marcus Spears moving inside to nose tackle and Jay Ratliff sliding into Spears' left defensive end spot.

But Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday the players aren't making a permanent position switch. Much like Ratliff thrived in a transition from end to nose tackle last year, Phillips wants to see if Spears can become another interchangeable piece on the line after starting three straight years exclusively on the edge.

"It just gives us more options and more abilities," Phillips said. "I really think Ratliff is a real strong defensive end and I think Spears can be strong at the nose. When we get our rotation down we'll see, but I think both of them could play either position and that's what we're looking at."

Phillips said Ratliff and Spears will swap positions throughout camp, even during practice, while Tank Johnson continues getting reps at nose tackle. But Phillips said Johnson's improvement since getting reinstated last November isn't the reason for moving Ratliff, whose frame is somewhat undersized for nose tackle. More line "versatility" will allow the defense to mix and match players based on match-ups.

Ratliff, who began his career at end, moved into the starting nose tackle spot to replace an injured Jason Ferguson after last year's opener. He played so well the Cowboys signed him to a five-year, $20.5 million extension before season's end.

"Definitely I feel more comfortable at nose," Ratliff said. "I've played there. All my game film since my rookie year has been inside. This is just a wrinkle, man. I've just got to get used to it."

Spears, a first-round pick in 2005, has been steady against the run but not a high sack producer (4Ā½) in his first three seasons. That's not uncharacteristic for defensive ends in the 3-4 defense, however, because their primary responsibility is to create rushing lanes for the outside linebackers.

Phillips said Spears (6-4, 315) wasn't asked to gain weight for a potential move to nose tackle. Rather, he said Spears came in under his reporting weight.

"In this league you don't have a 'want' necessarily," Spears said when asked if he had a position preference. "It's whatever helps the team. If that's what my role has to be then I'm going to have to get good at it pretty fast."

Glenn Headed to Miami?

Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano didn't give a concrete answer, but his team appears to have some level of interest in former Cowboys wide receiver Terry Glenn, who was drafted by Dolphins czar Bill Parcells in 1996 at New England.

"I'm sure it makes sense that you'd be interested because we know the guy," Sparano said at his Wednesday news conference. "We know him, we've coached him. God, Bill's coached him for years. I've had him for four or five years down there in Dallas. So I know the guy. I don't know about him right now, I really don't."

The Cowboys released Glenn last Friday, deciding to move ahead with their young receivers rather than reach a contract resolution with the 34-year-old receiver whose problematic right knee caused him to miss 15 games last year.

Sparano called the Glenn speculation "hypothetical" but admitted it might be useful to have a "torch carrier" for the Dolphins' young receivers.

Double-Barrel Backfield

The Cowboys showed off their two-halfback package during 11-on-11 drills during Wednesday's morning practice, motioning rookie Felix Jones out of the backfield and into a slot receiver position and using Marion Barber in the fullback spot, down in a three-point stance.

There had been some question whether the two would be used together on plays, but apparently that's the plan. It looks like Jones will be used as the Reggie Bush-style changeup runner and out-of-the-backfield receiver. Typically that role includes a heavy dose of swing passes, quick outs and bubble screens.

Barber could be involved heavily in blitz pickup, in that case, and as the featured runner. Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said when a team has a back capable of playing receiver it can be tough to defend.

"The problem is deciding what you want to do, defensively," Phillips said. "Whether you want to treat it as three wide receivers and put an extra defensive back in there . . . If you play it as nickel defense, they may run the ball on you.

"If it's Marshall Faulk or (LaDainian Tomlinson), or someone like that, it's hard to put a safety on that guy, you almost have to have a corner. Then you're giving up a lot in the running game."

Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said the look was all about getting the team's best players on the field at the same time. He said he liked the way New Orleans has been able to platoon Bush and Deuce McAllister - two runners with very different styles, much like the hard-nosed Barber and the shifty home-run hitter Jones. "We're going to just try to see if any of that stuff makes it in to the offense," Garrett said. "We try to mix and max personnel all the time and see how guys fit in to some of the plays that we've been running. (Jones) will never be a wide receiver, but both of those guys are versatile. We'll see what seems to look good in practice and hopefully we can get into the package and see if it has a little bit of a role in our offense"

Slender Receiver Bulking Up For Third Season

Sam Hurd's alma mater might be Northern Illinois, but the word "husky" probably won't ever describe the third-year Cowboys receiver. His slender frame just doesn't support, say, Terrell Owens' bulk.

But Hurd has made a considerable effort to gain weight since the Cowboys signed him as rookie free agent back in 2006. This time two years ago, Hurd stepped off the plane in Oxnard weighing 193 pounds. Now he checks in around 205, having added a noticeable 10-14 pounds of muscle to his upper body.

"When you've got more weight you can throw it around," Hurd said. "I feel better going in to block safeties now."

Hurd encountered the same problem as most young players: Maintaining an appetite and consequently keeping weight on, after sweat-soaked two-a-day practices. His results come from a carbohydrate-and-protein-packed diet and another productive off-season training program with Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek.

"My second year I'd gain a little weight, but I'd always lose it during training camp," Hurd said. "This year they got me on a diet and it's helping me. It's Terrell's diet but modified to my weight and to how I eat."

A bigger, stronger Hurd will be useful for an offense that's no longer counting on Terry Glenn. Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said Monday that Hurd and Miles Austin are "probably even right now" on the depth chart behind Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton, though he wants to get a better look at both young receivers in preseason.

Hurd has looked impressive in camp, running precise routes and competing for the ball in team drills. His extra bulk will be helpful in getting off jams at the line of scrimmage.

"He needs it because he's on special teams, plus he's going to be going against defensive backs that are going to be physical with him," wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said. "He's got to have the strength to get off of them, plus it'll also give him the opportunity to break tackles."

Simms Not On The Radar ... Not Yet Anyway

One name that has been buzzing around training camp here these last few days is Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms, whose time with the Bucs seem to be dwindling.

But for now, it doesnā€™t appear as if the Cowboys have any strong interest in acquiring Simms, a strong-passer from the University of Texas.

Cowboys vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones would not discuss Simms or any player on another team because of possible tampering rules.

ā€œHeā€™s a Buccaneer. We canā€™t talk about him,ā€ said Jones, who stressed the Cowboys are always looking to improve any spot. ā€œThat includes all positions that we look to get better. It doesnā€™t necessarily mean he would be our No. 2. It could be our third.ā€

So it doesnā€™t sound as if the Cowboys are completely dismissing the notion. But there would be some obstacles, particularly Simmsā€™ $2 million base salary. So any type of trade would include the quarterbackā€™s original salary.

Plus, the Bucsā€™ asking price seems a little steep. Word out of Tampa is that the team wants a first-day pick, meaning a first or second-round pick. Pretty high for a guy they donā€™t want to use.

The Cowboys donā€™t seem too concerned with Brad Johnson as the backup to Tony Romo. Head coach Wade Phillips applauded Johnsonā€™s play this week, and said the team has confidence in the veteran if called upon.

ā€œCertainly the arm strength is not what Romo is, but there arenā€™t many Romos out there,ā€ Phillips said. ā€œBut his experience, his knowing the offense and he's a winner. he's won everything. Heā€™s the guy that has a ring, so I think all those things are big factors, and our team has confidence in him. He goes in the game, we feel like we can win with him.ā€

Again, the Cowboysā€™ confidence in Johnson doesnā€™t actually mean they wouldnā€™t want to upgrade the third spot, currently vacated by Richard Bartel.

On The Injury Front

Wade Phillips had some good news in his afternoon press conference regarding injuries, a day after spilling the bad news about Terence Newman.

Of the biggest concerns was outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who sat out the last two plays of Wednesday's morning practice and was escorted to the locker room by trainers after a head-on collision with offensive right tackle Marc Colombo. Phillips said Ware was fine, that he just got "dinged," which means there was no concussion. But Ware did say "he wouldn't have been fine for" the afternoon practice if it wasn't an exclusively special teams practice.

Phillips also revealed that cornerback Alan Ball left practice with a lateral sprain of his left ankle, not the more serious high ankle sprain. He could miss a couple of days of practice but generally lateral sprains don't become major problems.

Newman is out at least three weeks after suffering a groin tear Monday morning. Cornerback Quincy Butler (hamstring), wide receiver Daniel Polk (hamstring) and linebacker Tearrius George (bone bruise) are day-to-day.

Campo The Mechanic

Cowboys secondary coach Dave Campo wasn't wearing a wireless microphone for HBO's "Hard Knocks" series on Wednesday, having already accommodated the producers all day on Saturday.

For the sake of sound quality, that's probably a good thing. Campo's normally gruff voice has taken on a Godfather-like hoarseness with his constant barking at practice. Cornerback Terence Newman thinks he sounds like a mechanic.

"Give me that carburetor over there," Campo imitated.

The longtime defensive coach is clearly enjoying his first training camp with the Cowboys since 2002. He spent his first 14 years in the NFL with the Cowboys, starting as a defensive assistant and steadily working his way up to head coach from 2000-02.

"I think I'm very fortunate to be doing what I'm doing," Campo said. "I really love the camaraderie of the group. That's one of my favorite things, being around the young players, seeing where they came from and what they're going to be like when they finish."

Short Shots

Albeit from 30 yards out, Nick Folk went 8-for-8 during the field-goal portion of Wednesday's second practice, entirely a special teams workout. And in Folk's four kick-off attempts, two sailed out of the end zone while the other two landed past the goal line . . . While the Cowboys practiced punting from their own end zone, veteran Mat McBriar booted a 73-yard punt that even Adam Jones couldn't retrieve . . . Deon Anderson worked as the up-back in punting drills, the last line of defense for McBriar . . . Lining up as first-team kick returners were Miles Austin and Isaiah Stanback, followed by Felix Jones and Danny Amendola. Adam Jones and Mike Jenkins rounded out the pairs of returners . . . In an intentional safety drill, Patrick Crayton replaced McBriar as the punter in order to run as much time off the clock before taking a safety.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #888
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.................................... ... good ol' Foosball.

Please make tomorrow's fix even bigger

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #889
alby
Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1MgSY_J90

simply amazing.

I totally forgot about the incomplete pass

Contact Me
Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #890
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

What is wrong with Dave Campo?

Can he get that fixed or what?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #891
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
What is wrong with Dave Campo?

Can he get that fixed or what?
its like a gimmick...I kinda like it in short doses.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #892
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Campo must have seen the Dark Knight... no chance in getting him to speak normally now.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #893
alby
Guru

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809a5b31

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #894
alby
Guru

Play of the Day: Marion Barber lowers boom on LB

7:40 PM Thu, Jul 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Poor Tyson Smith is probably still seeing stars.

Blitz pick-up drills usually aren't too exciting, but Marion "The Barbarian" Barber's pancake block on Smith was an exception. Smith came up the middle and -- THWACK!!! -- ended up flat on his back with a couple trainers over him.

RB coach Skip Peete compared Barber as a pass protector to a cobra who stays coiled up until the blitzer is within striking distance. Barber's power and explosiveness are a dangerous combo for linebackers who aren't braced for a boom.

"He did a perfect job of exploding through his chest," Peete said of Barber's hit on Smith. "The guy was a little high, and he got him."

here's the video clip:
http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...d=269020&shu=1

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #895
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never thought that Marion Barber was very good when it came to protecting the passer. I'd actually say that it's one of the weaker parts of his game.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #896
sike
The Preacha

Very interested in seeing what the FJones/Barber backfield brings us this season...could be/should be exciting.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #897
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else hear Babe Laufenberg say that Tony Romo looks markably better in training camp this year when he was on with BAD Radio the other day? Kind of scary if a guy who threw for 4000+ yards and 36 TDs took another major step forward. I heard that and started getting this funny feeling in my Cowboys pants...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #898
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Very interested in seeing what the FJones/Barber backfield brings us this season...could be/should be exciting.
I'm thinking this point, the depth at cornerback, and what should be a better return game are the biggest changes that intrigue me about this team. I never watched the guy much in college so I'm really interested to see what he's going to bring to the table. If Felix Jones can just give us something as the change of pace back, this running game is going to be pretty good.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #899
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
I'm thinking this point, the depth at cornerback, and what should be a better return game are the biggest changes that intrigue me about this team. I never watched the guy much in college so I'm really interested to see what he's going to bring to the table. If Felix Jones can just give us something as the change of pace back, this running game is going to be pretty good.
I would love to see some 2 back formations...with Jones flying out of the backfield.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #900
alby
Guru

^ They have been lining up in the I formation quite a bit during T.C. with Marion as the lead back.

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #901
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
^ They have been lining up in the I formation quite a bit during T.C. with Marion as the lead back.
I hope that actually turns into something on game days...I haven't really heard much on Jones since T.C. started...anyone know anything worthwhile?

Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #902
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I've never thought that Marion Barber was very good when it came to protecting the passer. I'd actually say that it's one of the weaker parts of his game.
you would be correct. maybe he got better this offseason though...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #903
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1MgSY_J90

simply amazing.

I totally forgot about the incomplete pass

good find. I forgot about how impossible those drives were. amazing. and seeing jerry jones at the end was priceless

thanks for the video bud
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #904
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

PANTHERS DONE WITH SMITH?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2008, 9:23 p.m. UTC

In the wake of Friday’s troubling incident between receiver Steve Smith and cornerback Ken Lucas, the Panthers could be thinking about life without the talented-but-troubled wideout.

Matt Mosley of ESPN.com reports that there are “rumblings” out of Panthers camp that the team is fed up with Smith’s actions, and are at least considering the idea of trading him.

Mosley says that Smith has become a “divisive force” on the team: “One Panthers source said that several defensive backs were walking around after the recent incident saying that if management didn’t discipline Smith, they would.”

And Mosley, whose covers the NFC East for ESPN.com’s post-Hashmarks blog project, partially justifies his encroachment upon Pat Yasinskas’ NFC South turf by suggesting that the Cowboys could be Smith’s ultimate destination.

Other teams that would at least consider Smith include, in our view, the Eagles, Vikings, Bears, and Redskins.

Assuming that Smith wouldn’t want a new deal, his cap charge for 2008 is a very manageable $1.75 million. Because it’s after June 1, the Panthers wouldn’t take a cap hit for the move until 2009.

Smith currently is signed through 2012. His future salaries are $3.4 million 2009, $5.75 million in 2010, $7 million in 2011, and $7.75 million in 2012.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ne-with-smith/

sweet!

Last edited by MavsX; 08-05-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #905
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

oh dear god. please yes get steve smith here! I wonder what the panthers would want in return?? a 1st rounder? ;D do it do it!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #906
alby
Guru

The rumor is Crayton/Spears. I would love to have SS playing opposite of TO, but acquiring SS would completely prevent us from picking up Roy Williams next summer.

Contact Me
Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #907
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
The rumor is Crayton/Spears. I would love to have SS playing opposite of TO, but acquiring SS would completely prevent us from picking up Roy Williams next summer.
ah, thats too much. Crayton/Spears are both model players..minimal off the field/on the field problems. trading away two of our 'solid' guys for smith, who seems to be another project, doesnt seem smart. that, and Spears is one hell of a good lineman. and he's only 27?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #908
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

... all I know is that Crayton is the main reason as to why the 'boys lost to the Giants in the playoffs..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #909
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
... all I know is that Crayton is the main reason as to why the 'boys lost to the Giants in the playoffs..
right. had nothing to do with totally changing their gameplan before the game, or the o-line being dominated by the giants d-line.

(if you were being sarcastic, then ignore above statement).
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #910
MavsX
Diamond Member

yeah but fellas. Steve Smith is one of the top 5 WR in the league? right? We know how jerry jones operates. This is a done deal in my book. I dont know what the 'boys give up..but the talent and speed that steve smith has..is just too much....jones wants a new super bowl ring.

you gotta do this deal man. two all star WR...what do you do...witten? jesus. we'd be loaded.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #911
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Smith is going to be suspended right? You think the league will extend it past 2 games?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #912
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Smith is going to be suspended right? You think the league will extend it past 2 games?
doubtful. the panthers organization suspended him. so if he's gone from carolina, he may not be suspended at all.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #913
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Lol, man if we got Smith ths team would just be rediculously stacked on offense. He would be an amazing compliment to Owens.

DO IT!

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #914
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Crayton and Spears? That can't be true, can it?

That would be highway robbery by the Boys.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #915
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Crayton and Spears? That can't be true, can it?

That would be highway robbery by the Boys.
I was actually thinking that Crayton and Spears was an awfully large price to pay...for a disgruntled and perhaps injury-prone receiver...who is not getting any younger.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #916
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I was actually thinking that Crayton and Spears was an awfully large price to pay...for a disgruntled and perhaps injury-prone receiver...who is not getting any younger.
OK, I know you love Crayton, but come one. Spears is a guy, nothing more, and Crayton is, at best, a solid #2 receiver.

Steve Smith is in the conversation as the best WR in football. I would do backflips if they could pull that trade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #917
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Tony Curtis was great last season. Everytime he stepped on the field he made a play. Every catch was for a touchdown.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #918
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
OK, I know you love Crayton, but come one. Spears is a guy, nothing more, and Crayton is, at best, a solid #2 receiver.

Steve Smith is in the conversation as the best WR in football. I would do backflips if they could pull that trade.

i know that is what i'm saying
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #919
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Crayton kinda gets on my nerves anwmore, to tell the truth. But, he is still reliable. I don't see Spears as just a guy. I see him as a top draft choice who is probably still getting better as a player...and who also gets outshined by the stars around him on the D-line.

Meh, I could take it or leave it. The biggest worry for me would be breaking up the pecking order that TO presently seems very comfortable with.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #920
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hadn't heard the rumor, but done, done, and done.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote