Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #881
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Are you sure you watch Lost?
I watch it, but my attention is often split while I'm watching, and I'm far from an expert or even a "hardcore" fan. That's why I usually rely on guys like thig and Flac who follow it more closely and have their finger on the pulse a bit better.

Any other questions, cX?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #882
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I may have totally missed this, but why was Locke known as Jeremy Benthem in the real world again?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #883
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
I may have totally missed this, but why was Locke known as Jeremy Benthem in the real world again?
In the episode called "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham," it is explained that Charles Widmore gave him that identity so he could get around easier (as John Locke presumably died on Oceanic 815). He specifically chose that name because, "Your birth parents had a sense of humor when they named you. I can have one, too." Or something like that, so he picked another English philosopher.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #884
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Please don't bring your personal feud to this thread. I'm serious. If you can't contribute to this thread in any other way then just stay out of it.
Clearly you haven't read the previous half dozen posts I've made in the thread. Or you just chose to ignore them. It was a honest question by the way.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #885
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Is there any reason to think the people who kidnapped Miles aren't just Ben's people? Seems like the obvious answer...
For a show this crazy, anything is possible. Anyone who watches LOST knows this, and would never presume to just dismiss this in a manner such as...

Quote:
Are you sure you watch Lost?
Which was then interpreted as being leftover venom from another thread

Quote:
It was a honest question by the way.
But then you admirably fessed up to being that big of a jerk.

Kudos.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #886
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Lol @ your selective memory. First of all, sure its possible...but to assume the obvious answer is that they're Ben's people is a stupid thing to say if you watched the show. Maybe if he had said "They seem like Ben's people imo" or some such. But by adding that it seems to be "the obvious answer" he came off haughty, condescending and foolish. If you don't pay close attention to the show, that's cool, but don't start asserting things when you don't know what you're talking about as if you do.

And yes, it was an unnecessary comment...sort of like EVERY comment he makes to me in every thread I post in. Including, on multiple occasions now, accusing me of being another poster on the site (two different ones so far, apparently in reality I'm 95% of the board), which is rude, ignorant, and straight up libel. So I guess it is ok to be a jerk...as long as they're friends with you. Gotcha.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #887
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you even post on this board?

(see what I did there? )

Let's just all be friends.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #888
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

thanks, Kirobaito

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #889
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm going to re-post my thoughts, just to get things steered in the right direction. (Probably an exercise in futility...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
The DHARMA people seemed to be scientific in their demeanor and reasons for being there...the "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" mantra reeks of some kind of cult or extremist group. "true believers", as it were. Not very Dharma like, IMO.

Very interesting stuff.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #890
CadBane
Banned

I'm still sticking with some sort of connection to Hanso.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #891
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

My only problem with that is that the Hanso thing was mostly from "The Lost Experience" game on the internet, not so much from the show itself. I think Hanso was mentioned in one of the DHARMA videos (the Swan video) but other than that, I think the audience would be confused.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #892
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
My only problem with that is that the Hanso thing was mostly from "The Lost Experience" game on the internet, not so much from the show itself. I think Hanso was mentioned in one of the DHARMA videos (the Swan video) but other than that, I think the audience would be confused.
Actually, in "The Constant", Widemore bought the journal of the first mate of the Black Rock at that auction. The first mate being Tovard Hanso, who is clearly related to Alvar. The Degroots have barely been mentioned either, but I think they'll come into play soon, possibly in a Farraday FB at AA. I think the same will be the case with Hanso.

Last edited by CadBane; 04-20-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #893
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lol @ your selective memory. First of all, sure its possible...but to assume the obvious answer is that they're Ben's people is a stupid thing to say if you watched the show. Maybe if he had said "They seem like Ben's people imo" or some such. But by adding that it seems to be "the obvious answer" he came off haughty, condescending and foolish. If you don't pay close attention to the show, that's cool, but don't start asserting things when you don't know what you're talking about as if you do.
You make the mistake of assuming that just because I'm condescending to you (because, frankly, you deserve it) that I'm also condescending to them. I'm not. Both of those guys are very intelligent -- and in certain areas, including this very show, far more intelligent than I -- and I like to hear what they have to say. To say such and such "seemed like the obvious answer" was merely a reference to my inferior Lost knowledge base, and a cue for them to fill me in on how or why I was interpreting incorrectly.

Like I said, I don't have finger on the pulse even half as well as either of those two, so I rely on them a lot to fill me in. Of course, if you had actually been here for more than a couple weeks and had taken the time to orient yourself to your surroundings before running your mouth, you might have gleaned that.

Now, as to the topic at hand, has there been any evidence to indicate that there would be some sort of modern day Dharma entity? I know they were completely wiped out, and I can't recall anything since then that would make me thing there are remnants in the "present."

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-20-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #894
CadBane
Banned

Take it to PM's.

Thanks

Last edited by mary; 04-20-2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Because its the Lost thread
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #895
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Now, as to the topic at hand, has there been any evidence to indicate that there would be some sort of modern day Dharma entity? I know they were completely wiped out, and I can't recall anything since then that would make me thing there are remnants in the "present."
No not that I can recall. Although the video Flac posted seems to infer that we may see evidence of one at some point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #896
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Their summer/fall online game (that was eventually canceled due to ABC's budget or something) had to do with getting people to take aptitude tests to join the Dharma initiative. They had updated Dharma logos and things.

You can read about that here

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dhar...uiting_Project

They tied Ajira airways into this as well, which of course was on the show eventually.

Last year, they did something where you played as a character on a boat...the boat that eventually found the fake 815 wreckage on the bottom of the ocean, it was then seen briefly on the show in the background of a news report or something.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-20-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #897
LonghornDub

That's pretty intense stuff. I wonder how much of the information from these alternate reality games and other external mechanisms will actually be relevant to the TV storyline. I'm sure they could easily find a way to incorporate it in a sensible way for the "TV only" audience, but I've also seen a lot of examples in the past (not necessarily on LOST) of that sort of information completely falling by the wayside.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #898
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think they hire outside companies to run those games, but they obviously give them direction and material.

None of it should be considered canon, clearly, but they've shown in the past that it CAN tie into the show.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #899
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdWLYVRiin8

And that makes me think that the "shadow of the statue" people are reconstituted Dharma members.
is the voice in the background faraday or horace??
Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #900
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like faraday to me. At at one point, i think i hear Miles. At the first "that doesn't matter".
Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #901
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

yeah its weird. i guess youre right- but it kinda sounds a little bit like horace to me at the end...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #902
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well no one knows for sure who's voice that is. They recorded that early in the summer last year.

If it is Faraday...are they saying that he's going to tell Dr. Chang what's going to happen? I wonder why he would do that.

I have a feeling all hell is about to break loose....in 9 days
Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #903
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have a feeling all hell is about to break loose....in 9 days
i concur.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #904
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel very, very confident in saying that voice, the entire time, is Faraday.

And I pride myself as being a "voice guy" so take that to the bank.

Unless of course, it's not.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #905
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
I feel very, very confident in saying that voice, the entire time, is Faraday.

And I pride myself as being a "voice guy" so take that to the bank.

Unless of course, it's not.
Yep. The first time I heard it, I thought it was Faraday, and when other people concurred, it reinforced that opinion.

I don't think Horace has much reason to do something like that independently. Any knowledge that Horace would have of the future (as it seems that Shredder got his knowledge from whoever's behind the camera) would have ultimately come from someone like Daniel, so I think it being Daniel is a near-certainty. Not complete, but near.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #906
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
No not that I can recall. Although the video Flac posted seems to infer that we may see evidence of one at some point.
I'd say the fact that the food drops were still occurring in 20005 is rather noteworthy.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #907
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'd say the fact that the food drops were still occurring in 20005 is rather noteworthy.
Hmmm...that is interesting. Although if it's a present day Dharma group dropping them on an island with no Dharma presence then you'd have to assume they are not aware that they are dropping supplies for the wrong people.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #908
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

And they're unaware that their submarine was being used by the locals for like 10 years? Ben's good, but he ain't that good.

I have wondered if the supply drop is supposed to be explained via the mechanism that washed the doctor up on the shore before he died, and the rocket fired from the ship got there 30 minutes after it was supposed to.

But I agree it's noteworthy...I would love an explanation on that one.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #909
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Thig, you don't hear Miles too? Right at the 1:46 mark, the person that says "none of that matters". Sounds different than the following voice ("it doesn't matter, just get to it. Please"), which is faraday.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #910
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Damn I wish I could watch it at work. Back when I first saw it in the summer I hadn't even considered the possibility of Faraday because, of course, at that point we didn't know about the time traveling, so...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #911
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Thig, you don't hear Miles too? Right at the 1:46 mark, the person that says "none of that matters". Sounds different than the following voice ("it doesn't matter, just get to it. Please"), which is faraday.
You're right, I somehow completely missed that first voice when I watched the video the first time.

That's definitely not Faraday in the beginning, and it does sound like Miles.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #912
XERXES
Diamond Member

so, um i hate to re-hash this, but anybody have any clue if we'll ever see rose and bernard again? where are they?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #913
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES View Post
so, um i hate to re-hash this, but anybody have any clue if we'll ever see rose and bernard again? where are they?
They've given us absolutely nothing to go on there. I'm not sure if we're supposed to think that all those spares with Bernard and Rose perished or what. I think Bernard and Rose are still alive and have been hiding out somewhere...but I have no evidence. I just don't think they would kill them off without some kind of big "to-do".

Speaking of dying...it's almost finale time.

Who's going to bite it this year? Someone always does. The choices are getting pretty slim.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-20-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #914
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
They've given us absolutely nothing to go on there. I'm not sure if we're supposed to think that all those spares with Bernard and Rose perished or what. I think Bernard and Rose are still alive and have been hiding out somewhere...but I have no evidence. I just don't think they would kill them off without some kind of big "to-do".

Speaking of dying...it's almost finale time.

Who's going to bite it this year? Someone always does. The choices are getting pretty slim.
I'm pretty sure they'll kill everyone. Wipe the cast clean. Start over again next year. All the redshirts with Rose and Bernard will be the stars next season.

Also, Vincent is still runnin' around somewhere.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #915
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Rose and Bernard were hit with flaming arrows. Severely wounded, they stumbled to the caves, found a backgammon set, took out one white stone and one black stone, then laid down in a cave to die.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #916
XERXES
Diamond Member

how crazy would it be if they wound up being adam & eve...?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #917
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Rose and Bernard were hit with flaming arrows. Severely wounded, they stumbled to the caves, found a backgammon set, took out one white stone and one black stone, then laid down in a cave to die.

Just my opinion.
lol. That's probably the best Adam and Eve theory I've heard so far.

Which one had the white stone and which one had the black stone?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #918
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
lol. That's probably the best Adam and Eve theory I've heard so far.

Which one had the white stone and which one had the black stone?
ha. nice.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #919
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Where was that love a little bit ago?

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=848
Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #920
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Where was that love a little bit ago?

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=848
Sometimes we all just pretend to read your posts and give you rep every now and then to make you feel included?

Tags
best show ever, best show on tv, excellent television, lost stubby, lost! lost! my precious!, wait - i'm lost