Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #961
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Fox has a much bigger wingspan than I thought.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #962
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
It could be slightly redundant. But then again Dirk will be gone soon.
It depends on how you view Collins. I don't think he is quick enough to guard elite 4's in this league. He will be a center, and we would already have invested enough in one, assuming we resign Noel.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #963
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It could be slightly redundant. But then again Dirk will be gone soon.
And Barnes is still here. With Noel. And then with Collins still this glaring hole at the guard positions. Blowing the pick on Collins or Markkanen would be stupid when there is still a similar talented guard available. And that should be the case at #9 or even #10
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #964
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I expect the Heat to jump into the Top-3 because Riley sold his soul to the devil a long time ago
Pat Riley IS the Devil (thanks for giving me a reason to bust out this old 'shop)...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #965
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
You do realize the NBA combine doesn't move the needle much on these prospects, especially the top 10, right? Hell, most of them don't even participate, if they end up attending at all. Mostly go for interviews/measurables and peace out.

You only get the fringe draftable players to even go through drills and participate in 5v5.

In other words, you're vastly overstating the importance of the NBA combine.

Kevin Durant calls NBA combine a waste of time for top prospects

Quote:
"I remember it like it was yesterday," Durant said, as he adjusted his body to get comfortable in his seat. "All the strength coaches were laughing at me and s---. They were giggling with each other that I couldn't lift 185 pounds, and I was like, 'All right, keep laughing. Keep laughing.' It was a funny thing, because I was the only one that couldn't lift it and I was struggling to lift it. I was embarrassed at that point, but I'm like, 'Give me a basketball, please. Give me a ball.'"

@ScottHoward42: It's fun to have a few laughs about NBA Draft combine interviews but never forget the Suns didn't consider Kawhi because of interview sweat

Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #966
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:

Doubtful Isaac drops to us, and taking Collins would be very redundant, given their desire to keep Noel.
Collins is a PF. Like I've said the possibilities being a Love 2.0. Isaac is number 1 on my draft board over Markkanen too. But I'm a realist.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #967
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Fox has a much bigger wingspan than I thought.
Best PG in the draft IMO.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #968
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
It depends on how you view Collins. I don't think he is quick enough to guard elite 4's in this league. He will be a center, and we would already have invested enough in one, assuming we resign Noel.
He's a strong rebounding big on defense. And can challenge better than Dirk. His offense is based on pick and roll improvising. Better than Markkanen I think after what I saw when he played with the Zags.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #969
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
He's a strong rebounding big on defense. And can challenge better than Dirk. His offense is based on pick and roll improvising. Better than Markkanen I think after what I saw when he played with the Zags.
Sounds like a skill set worth going all in on in the top 10 of the most talent stacked draft in a decade.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #970
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Decent article by Sefko

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...ting-prospects

Quote:
When this event breaks up on Saturday, Nelson and a couple of other staffers will head to Europe to talk with French point guard Frank Ntilikina, among others. It will be the first of two trips to Europe the Mavericks' brass will make before the June draft.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #971
yahyes
Banned

First of two trips to Europe? Who's the other euro player we meeet? Markkanen?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #972
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First of two trips to Europe? Who's the other euro player we meeet? Markkanen?
I imagine he lives in the states since he went to college here.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #973
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
IF there are/were any elite PFs in this league, we have never had anyone quick enough to guard them.

That said, I'm not sure how to view Collins. He looks like a PF to me but that line seems more and more blurry nowdays.

I'm not sold on Barnes at PF either.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #974
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
And Barnes is still here. With Noel. And then with Collins still this glaring hole at the guard positions. Blowing the pick on Collins or Markkanen would be stupid when there is still a similar talented guard available. And that should be the case at #9 or even #10
Barnes at PF is not a done deal. I tend to agree that we need a guard but I don't think it's a blown pick if we get someone they view as a great talent to fill Dirks massive void next year... or possibly this year.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #975
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are talking about Zach Collins right? Just making sure since John Collins is projected as a mid first round as pick as well.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #976
yahyes
Banned

I bet Collins could flourish more through the Mavs pick and roll system. While being mentored by Dirk.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #977
Underdog

Quote:
I bet Collins could flourish more through the Mavs pick and roll system. While being mentored by Dirk.
Problem is that we don't really have any guards who flourish in the pick and roll other than Barea... Both Yogi and Seth have a lot of work to do. That's why Smith or Frank would be huge for us.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-12-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #978
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Problem is that we don't really have any guards who flourish in the pick and roll other than Barea... Both Yogi and Seth have a lot of work to do. That's why Smith or Frank would be huge for us.
I have big hopes for Seth to play good his contract season. Until the Mavs unload on Devin or JJ I'm not fully convinced yet it will be a PG. Since the team has a stock full right now.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #979
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Ask AD what it's like to have shitty guard play. And Collins is not AD. It's not apples to apples but it's hard to win in the NBA when the guy who has the ball in his hands most isn't at least great.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #980
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You guys are talking about Zach Collins right? Just making sure since John Collins is projected as a mid first round as pick as well.
Yes, Zach Collins.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #981
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have big hopes for Seth to play good his contract season. Until the Mavs unload on Devin or JJ I'm not fully convinced yet it will be a PG. Since the team has a stock full right now.
When you are in rebuilding mode with a youth movement, Devin and JJ have the least impact on who you're picking. You don't just reach for a Markannen or Collins when DSJ and Frank are there as better fits, not to mention better prospects with higher ceilings.

Seth and Farrell also do not preclude you from drafting a PG if said PG is who you hope can man the position for the next 5-10 years+
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #982
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Man, I don't like the idea of letting Devin go, even if we draft pg. Unless he's going somewhere to get paid up, then good for him. He's solid and hustles always and thats a great model for young guys.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #983
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Man, I don't like the idea of letting Devin go, even if we draft pg. Unless he's going somewhere to get paid up, then good for him. He's solid and hustles always and thats a great model for young guys.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #984
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
JJ and Yogie hustle just the same. Except they have more to bring on the floor offensively at this point. JJ is a better shooter off the perimeter than Devin. JJ can draw pick and rolls better. He was meshing with Noel. Which brings the great role model element.. So to add space it's best Mavs move Devin to the sixers or some east team trying to get into playoffs.

Last edited by yahyes; 05-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #985
yahyes
Banned

Watching the Combine on espn2. There's a talent mock draft they showed has us drafting Markkanen at 9. And Frank got drafted 8 by the kings. That's whats up. I'll take it! Also Justin Jackson's mock is climbing for real.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #986
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Watching the Combine on espn2. There's a talent mock draft they showed has us drafting Markkanen at 9. And Frank got drafted 8 by the kings. That's whats up. I'll take it! Also Justin Jackson's mock is climbing for real.
If we drafted Markannen you may legitimately be the only one happy about it on DM.com
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #987
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
If we drafted Markannen you may legitimately be the only one happy about it on DM.com
It's the talent draft predictions so lighten up on me, eh. Plus yes I would be happy if we drafted a PG OR PF. Leave the Dallas Mavericks fan alone, bro.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #988
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
That means Monk or Isaac or another top 8 talent will be available. I'd bet the Mavs taking any of that pool over Lauri.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #989
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
That means Monk or Isaac or another top 8 talent will be available. I'd bet the Mavs taking any of that pool over Lauri.
Jackson went up to 12 close to Collins. Which makes sense.I missed the top 7 talent prediction they had. But Monk is going to be gone right after Fox is I bet for sure. Which has Fox at around 3? Oh and pelicans draft dennis smith at 10. Good.. let him go there to deal with whiny Cousins.

Last edited by yahyes; 05-12-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #990
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jackson went up to 12 close to Collins. Which makes sense.I missed the top 7 talent prediction they had. But Monk is going to be gone right after Fox is I bet for sure. Which has Fox at around 3? Oh and pelicans draft dennis smith at 10. Good.. let him go there to deal with whiny Cousins.
I'd rather he come here and deal with our guys. If we pass on DSJ for Maarkanen I might quit watching Mavs basketball when Dirk retires.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #991
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I'd rather he come here and deal with our guys. If we pass on DSJ for Maarkanen I might quit watching Mavs basketball when Dirk retires.
Hot!
Sports!
Take!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #992
Underdog

Quote:
Hot!
Sports!
Take!
I'm not sure if you're using "hot take" appropriately here -- a majority of Mavs fans share BPo001's opinion... Spend a little time on Twitter and you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #993
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I will say that stranger things have happened. Mavs like to surprise when you just wish they'd play it safe.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #994
Underdog

Quote:
I still think there's a good chance that DSJ is gone by the time our pick rolls around, so I'm happy to hear the Mavs have a strong interest in Frank.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #995
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're using "hot take" appropriately here -- a majority of Mavs fans share BPo001's opinion... Spend a little time on Twitter and you'll see what I mean.
He's trying to say the Mavs are over for who knows how long... which leaves him to not jump back on the wagon. You set me up to the most valuable point. Which is weeding out the bandwagon. So that had to be an HSO. A solid one.

Last edited by yahyes; 05-12-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #996
yahyes
Banned

Anyone think Holger went with Donnie to this trip to scout Frank?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #997
Underdog

Quote:
He's trying to say the Mavs are over for who knows how long... which leaves him to not jump back on the wagon. You set me up to the most valuable point. Which is weeding out the bandwagon. So that had to be an HSO. A solid one.
BPo001 has been a member of this forum since 2008 -- he's hardly a "bandwagon" fan... Don't pretend like your ridiculously homeristic opinion of this team makes you more of a fan than anyone else here -- it makes you look like an asshole.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #998
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
BPo001 has been a member of this forum since 2008 -- he's hardly a "bandwagon" fan... Don't pretend like your ridiculously homeristic opinion of this team makes you more of a fan than anyone else here -- it makes you look like an asshole.
What's wrong with the bandwagon? I think it's time for the organic wagons though... That means you'll stop being a Mavs fan within 2 years too, sport? And what's up with the name calls. Be a star.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #999
Underdog

Quote:
Anyone think Holger went with Donnie to this trip to scout Frank?
Not sure why he would -- Donnie is mostly flying out to Europe to feel out Frank's mindset and attitude, not to assess his talent... Holger is a shot doctor, not a scout.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #1000
Underdog

Quote:
What's wrong with the bandwagon? I think it's time for the organic wagons though... That means you'll stop being a Mavs fan within 2 years too, sport? And what's up with the name calls. Be a star.