Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #1001
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Eh. Jerry is the eternal optimist. He'll always build up his players in the media.
He's a businessman

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #1002
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mile From Home
Cowboys Fall to Broncos; Back to Dallas

link

DENVER - With a little over two minutes left in the fourth quarter Saturday night, the Cowboys third string offense faced a fourth-and-five at the Denver Broncos 10-yard line at Invesco Field at Mile High, trailing by a touchdown, 20-13. Bartel had engineered an impressive drive downfield, but he threw the first interception of the game to Broncos rookie cornerback Jack Williams. Williams seemed to have an open road to the opposite end zone, but Bartel managed a shoe-string tackle to save the seven points. Still, it was enough to seal the game, the Cowboys losing to the Broncos 23-13 in their second preseason game.

The Cowboys did get to see a few things they'd hoped they would and with good results - backup quarterback Brad Johnson working behind the starting offensive line, and cornerback Adam Jones returning punts. Unfortunately, the Cowboys were also confronted with something that didn't rear its ugly head in the game against San Diego last week - injuries.

Jones returned his first punt in over 20 months, and showed what made him such a dynamo in that role with Tennessee, taking the ball up the field for 24 yards, although five of those yards were negated by Jones spiking the ball in celebration.

The Cowboys starting offense succeeded in moving the ball, it failed to score, but Johnson made up for it behind the starting offensive line with a couple of passes to receiver Miles Austin. Austin made impressive catches on a 37-yard pass down the sideline and then a fade into the end zone for a touchdown to bring the Cowboys within seven points of the Broncos. Johnson finished the game 9-for-12 for 114 yards and a score.

But on the following kickoff, Austin sprained his right knee and had to leave the game, becoming another name on the Cowboys list of casualties. Starting defensive end Chris Canty bruised his hip on the first play of the game, although it doesn't seem to be serious. Backup fullback Ronnie Cruz, who has battled injuries for most of his career, left with a dislocated shoulder, and reserve linebacker and special teams stud Justin Rogers sprained his shoulder in the third quarter. Starting fullback Deon Anderson had his bell rung on the opening kickoff, but returned later in the first quarter.

While the rash of game-induced injuries was a new obstacle for Dallas this preseason, the plague of penalties was very familiar, the Cowboys racking up nine penalties for 78 yards. The continuity of the Cowboys' first offensive drive was disrupted by three penalties, although the unit overcame two consecutive post-play penalties that backed the ball up 20 yards (unnecessary roughness for 15 yards on right tackle Marc Colombo and five yards for having 12 players in the huddle before the next play) with a couple of Tony Romo-to-Terrell Owens completions for a first down. But that drive was brought to an abrupt halt after a false start by left tackle Flozell Adams put the Cowboys out of field goal range.

The starting defense recorded a few penalties of its own that kept the Broncos drives going, including an unnecessary roughness call on linebacker Bradie James after stopping a third-and-short run by Denver in the first quarter. Denver would finish the drive with a touchdown catch by wide receiver Brandon Marshall to go up 14-0.

One penalty that didn't carry over from last week's game against San Diego was pass interference. The Cowboys only had one interference call in the first half, although it wasn't even on a defensive back, but rather on linebacker Demarcus Ware who dropped into coverage in the flat.

Although they didn't interfere on any passes in an illegal way, the Cowboys also didn't get in the way of any balls either, allowing Broncos starting quarterback Jay Cutler to complete 16 of 20 passes for 178 yards and a score. The lack of effectiveness in pass defense could be blamed partially on the lack of a pass rush though, as the Cowboys didn't sack Cutler once and barely managed to pressure him.

The Cowboys pass defense continued to struggle as the team moved down the depth chart, allowing Broncos backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey to throw for 67 yards on eight completions, although Jones, last year's seventh round draft choice Alan Ball, and 2008 fifth-rounder Orlando Scandrick showed promise on a few plays. Jones, who missed a couple of key tackles against the Chargers, racked up six total tackles Saturday night, sharing game-high honors with James.

After allowing a 32-yard return by Broncos running back Andre Hall on the opening kickoff, the Cowboys' play on special teams did improve from last week. Only two Cowboys' punts were even returned, and both for no more that six yards. And to go with Jones' electrifying punt return, Cowboys wide receiver Isaiah Stanback returned his first kickoff of the game for 35 yards. Stanback fielded all the following kickoffs deep in the end zone and took touchbacks.

Rookie running back Tashard Choice blocked a punt in the third quarter, but Broncos punter Ben Kern recovered the ball and ran for a first down.

Bartel put together an impressive drive in the fourth quarter with a series of completions to wideout Todd Lowber (of "Hard Knocks" fame) and tight end Rodney Hannah, but the Cowboys had to settle for a field goal to narrow the Broncos' lead once again to seven points, 20-13.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #1003
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I think the last 5 Super Bowl winners are a combined 14-86 or something like that in the pre-season.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #1004
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I think the last 5 Super Bowl winners are a combined 14-86 or something like that in the pre-season.
No doubt...

I actually think Johnson's 9-12 / 114 yds / 1 TD and Stanback's 35-yard return look good for a preseason game, but seeing the number of penalties/yards and the token Flozell Adams false start indicates that we might still have a ways to go before we overcome some of last year's problems...

Last edited by Underdog; 08-17-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #1005
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Really? Then the Cowboys will definitely win the Super Bowl now!!
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #1006
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

That false start on Flozell wasn't actually on him. The defender jumped, borderline into the neutral zone, and Gurode just stood up instead of snapping the ball.

It was obvious on the replay that Adams didn't deserve that one.

The lack of pressure on Cutler was disturbing. That was the main point of the game from my perspective.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #1007
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Austin is out the rest of the preseason at minimum. Bummer.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #1008
Underdog

Austin Suffers Setback in Position Battle

link

DENVER - For Miles Austin, the sprained right MCL couldn't have possibly come at a worse time.

The third-year receiver was continuing his push for the No. 3 job in the second quarter Saturday and looking good, making a leaping five-yard touchdown grab with 1:37 left in the half. Receivers coach Ray Sherman then tried to stop him from taking the field for the ensuing kickoff, but was too late, the injury occurring with Austin running down to cover the kick. The next time Sherman saw Austin, the Monmouth product was limping off the field.

Austin seemed to be playing the best football of his young career. He said he would undergo an MRI on the knee Sunday, but Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he didn't expect Austin to play in the final two preseason games. Jones said the injury would not require surgery and he was optimistic it would not linger much into the regular season.

Early in camp, Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said he thought Austin was tied with last year's third receiver, Sam Hurd, but he outshined the incumbent in both preseason games.

Austin streaked down the right sideline to catch a 37-yard fly route from Brad Johnson just before the two-minute warning. Three plays later, he jumped over Denver cornerback Dominique Foxworth for the stop-fade touchdown, leaving the game with the two catches for 42 yards.

In the preseason opener in San Diego, Austin caught five balls for 64 yards to lead the Cowboys in receiving. While Hurd's greatest asset is his consistency, that's been the knock on Austin the past two years. The injury won't help him overcome those reservations.

"We all just hate to see it," Jones said. "As young as he is, and strong as he is, he could be back soon."

Old 08-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #1009
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea that was discouraging how this Cowboys team looked exactly like last season. From the failing to do anything on offense first possession of the game to not being able to get to the quarterback. Its preseason so i'm not worried but i'm not too optimistic about this defense after that game. Zach Thomas and Miles Austin looked great. Brad Johnson looked decent.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #1010
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

preseason....bleh

I'm far more encouraged by the hands of Miles Austin, Zach Thomas in the middle, and Pacman shaking off the rust than I am discouraged by the pathetically disinterested play of the first teamers last night.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #1011
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

That's the thing though. You would think these guys wouldn't be disinterested after for the second straight year of not winning a playoff game. I'd expect more hunger from them. And to see Greg Ellis so pissed off at the defense last night makes me worry even more. I'm not sure if its that they're not interested or if they're just doing the best they can under the coaching. This is probably a make or break year for Brian Stewart. I would not be surprised if he was replaced by Dave Campo next season.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 08-17-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #1012
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This seems to be a logical explanation for the defense not getting to the quarterback last night:

Quote:
"I talked to [Brian Stewart] and last year we got after those guys and blitzed them a lot," linebacker Bradie James said. "He said that he got some E-mail from some offensive coordinators saying this must be you're first time being an defensive coordinator because you broke the etiquette of just playing vanilla. We did a lot of base stuff. I would have loved to really get after them. But we played what was called."

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #1013
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
That's the thing though. You would think these guys wouldn't be disinterested after for the second straight year of not winning a playoff game. I'd expect more hunger from them. And to see Greg Ellis so pissed off at the defense last night makes me worry even more. I'm not sure if its that they're not interested or if they're just doing the best they can under the coaching. This is probably a make or break year for Brian Stewart. I would not be surprised if he was replaced by Dave Campo next season.
dave campo doesn't coach a 3-4 defense. if he's replaced, i'd figure on Dom Capers coming in (especially if Jason Garrett becomes HC).

don't be too worried right now...it's august football. it means zilch.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #1014
Underdog

With Austin's Injury, Time To Get WR Help?

With depth already an issue at wide receiver, the Cowboys suffered a bigger loss than the 23-13 setback in Denver Saturday night when wide receiver Miles Austin suffered an MCL sprain that will likely keep him out of action for at least four weeks, maybe longer.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said after the game Saturday that he hoped Austin could be ready in time for the Sept. 9 opener against Cleveland.

Sounds like that is more of an optimistic reach, but not too realistic.
Generally, MCL sprains are 4-6 week injuries with the biggest part of the rehab trying to get the players back in football shape.

Now, that might be easier for Austin than others, considering he’s one of the team’s most impressive athletes.

And he was certainly coming on strong, catching a touchdown pass in Saturday’s game in Denver. In two preseason games, Austin leads the Cowboys in both catches (seven) and receiving yards (106) and has the club’s only touchdown catch of the preseason.

“I really like what Miles Austin gives us at receiver,” Jerry Jones said after the game. “His injury might set him back a couple of weeks, or maybe a little bit longer. As young as he is, and strong as he is, he could be back soon. It’s just a sprained MCL.”

So now what at wide receiver? The top three spots seem to be in place, although Austin was pushing Sam Hurd for that third position behind Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton.

But with Austin out, the Cowboys might have to at least look outside the organization for another.

Sure, they have other guys to fill in, but none of them seem too NFL-ready, and that includes Isaiah Stanback, who has yet to make a full transition from a college quarterback to receiver.

Guys like Danny Amendola, Mike Jefferson, Todd Lowber, Mark Bradford and Daniel Polk, seem to have “practice squad” written all over them. All of those guys could use a year, maybe two, on the practice squad.

The question all throughout training camp was if the Cowboys could justify keeping six receivers? But at least for the first two weeks of the season, the Cowboys might have trouble even keeping five.

The Cowboys certainly know all of the available receivers out there and probably have a good feel for the ones who might be cut by other clubs. The team has to be looking and with Austin’s latest injury, the time might be now to act.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #1015
Underdog

Default daily fluff

Time to Play the Starters, Phillips Says

IRVING, Texas - After playing just a few drives in the first two preseason games, it appears the team's starters will get more work Friday when the Cowboys host Houston.

Following a pair of shaky starts for the first-team defense, inside linebacker Bradie James admitted Saturday the Cowboys just weren't ready for the start of the season. Wade Phillips said Monday it's time to address that.

"I think some of it is we don't tackle in practice and you see that in the game," the coach said. "You have to play some to tackle better, so we'll play more this week with our starters."

And that goes for the first-team offense, too. Tony Romo and company breezed down the field for a touchdown on the opening drive in San Diego, but didn't do much in two possessions against the Broncos, ending on a three-and-out both times. Terrell Owens worked just one series Saturday, while Romo and running back Marion Barber played two. The starting offensive line played the entire first half.

"I think to get timing offensively, especially in the passing game, you need some game time," Phillips said. "We'll address it first by letting guys play more that we're counting on."

Typically the third preseason game is where the starters get the most work, a dress rehearsal for the regular season. In last year's third preseason game against Houston, the first group played deep into the third quarter. In the 2007 preseason finale against Minnesota, Phillips sat all but six starters, trying to get a better look at guys on the bubble of the 53-man roster.

"I do think we need more playing time to come together as a team," Phillips said.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #1016
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't get injured Romo or TO.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #1017
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Houston will be throwing everything at us... because face it, this is their superbowl--so, let's just play our 1st teamers a half and beat them for the hell of it.

Contact Me
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #1018
Underdog

Default daily fluff

Felix's Duties Might Not Include Returns

link

IRVING, Texas - After three weeks of training camp and two preseason games, Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips has seen enough from rookie running back Felix Jones to predict his top pick will be an "integral" part of their high-powered offense.

So integral, in fact, that Phillips seems reluctant to make Jones the primary kickoff returner - a job many expected Jones to inherit when the Cowboys selected him 22nd overall in April's NFL Draft.

"I think you are a little bit (reluctant)," Phillips said Monday. "I think it's factual that there are more injuries on kickoffs than any other phase of the game, not that returners always get hurt. I don't mean that, but there are more injuries in that part of the game. If he becomes a really important part of our offense, it's whether you want to or not."

Jones has yet to return a kickoff in preseason but appears capable of adding a speedy, elusive dimension to the offense as a complementary back to Marion Barber. In two games, he has produced three gains of at least 19 yards - a 19-yard run and 28-yard catch-and-run against San Diego, and a 27-yard reception in Saturday's 23-13 loss to Denver.

The Cowboys want Jones to operate in space, even if that means splitting him wide as a receiver in certain packages to utilize his considerable speed and agility. Those attributes also made Jones the ninth-most productive kick returner in NCAA history. At Arkansas, he averaged 28.2 yards on 62 career returns with four touchdowns. But for now, at least, the Cowboys want him getting acclimated to the offense.

Logical kickoff return candidates are wide receiver Isaiah Stanback and rookie cornerback Orlando Scandrick, who combined for 35.5 yards on two returns against Denver. Wide receiver Miles Austin has led the team in kickoff return average in each of the last two seasons, but a sprained right MCL will sideline him 4-6 weeks.

Austin took over those duties in 2006 when his predecessor, backup running back Tyson Thompson, broke his ankle during a return, an injury that lends some credence to Phillips' hesitancy with Jones.

"It's a fine line there," Phillips said. "You're hoping you're the team kicking off all the time and not the one receiving. We'd like to be in that shape that we don't have to count on him returning kickoffs to help us to win."

Not the Patriots

Cowboys linebacker Bradie James recently made a cryptic comment to NBCSports.com, seemingly lauding the New England Patriots for putting team over ego, and saying that the Cowboys can never do the same.

"We can't be the Patriots," James told the website. "The Patriots, they epitomize the whole team concept. Those guys are all about team and that's it. We're not them. We are a team that has a bunch of names, a bunch of personalities and a bunch of youth."

On Monday, James attempted to clarify what he meant. Comparing the Patriots and Cowboys is basically like comparing apples and oranges to him. The Patriots have a few big names, like Tom Brady and Randy Moss, but the rest of their key players fly under the radar. The Cowboys, on the other hand, have media magnets at every position.

"You've got good guys at every position, but you don't have the name as far as how they celebrate us," James said of the Patriots-Cowboys comparison. "At every position out here, you've got a popular name."

Because of that popularity, the Cowboys can't be the same team as the Patriots, James said. They still have to buy into the team concept, but they have to do it in their own fashion.

"As long as we kick the egos out the door and come together as a team, we'll be fine," James said. "We have enough names to really do whatever it is we need to do, but there's a flip-side to that. You've got enough names to take us to the next level, but you've got enough names to tear this thing down.

"The only name that really counts is the Dallas Cowboys. If we can embody that and come together, we'll be fine."

Addressing The Beck Rumors

There’s a Miami Herald report stating the Cowboys are dangling a low-round draft pick as potential trade bait for Dolphins second-year quarterback John Beck, who could get caught in a numbers crunch at final cuts.

Here’s the deal: Miami did contact the Cowboys about Beck, but it’s unlikely the Cowboys would be willing to trade a draft choice for the Dolphins’ former second-round pick who made four starts in five games as rookie last season, completing 60 of 107 passes for 559 yards (one touchdown, three interceptions).

The Cowboys have indeed expressed interest in finding another backup quarterback with experience this off-season, but any acquisition would likely settle into a No. 3 role given Brad Johnson’s experience and his knowledge of the Cowboys’ system.

This past Saturday against Denver, the 39-year-old Johnson quieted recent criticism about his ability to manage a game by completing 9 of 12 passes for 114 yards and a touchdown against the Broncos’ starting defense. First-year quarterback Richard Bartel also seemed more comfortable in the pocket. Trailing 20-13 late in the fourth quarter, he led the offense to the Denver 10-yard line before getting intercepted.

Chad Pennington’s decision to sign with Miami appears to make either Beck or veteran Josh McCown expendable because the Dolphins’ 2008 second-round pick, Chad Henne, is a sure bet to make the roster. If released, Beck might make sense for the Cowboys because he’s a young quarterback who would have time to develop behind Romo and Johnson. But don’t count on the Cowboys relinquishing a pick to get him.

Spears Warming Up to Playing Tackle

Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears said Monday he was feeling more comfortable playing both defensive end and nose tackle. "It's not a big deal no more," he said.

The fourth-year LSU product has started every game the last two years at end. Early in camp the Cowboys gave him a look at nose tackle in their 3-4 defense, sliding Jay Ratliff out to end. Neither player was particularly happy with the part-time move at the time, as the task of learning a new position is always a tall order.

According to Spears, neither he or Ratliff knows which position they'll work on in any given day until the position meetings just before practice.

Short Shots

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said starting inside linebacker Bradie James will continue working in the dime package while Kevin Burnett (knee scope) is out. The team is optimistic Burnett will return for the Sept. 7 season opener. James had six tackles on Saturday night . . . Phillips also was pleased with rookie fullback Julius Crosslin's performance against Denver. Crosslin, a rookie free agent out of Oklahoma State, replaced Ronnie Cruz in the second half after Cruz sprained his shoulder . . . The Cowboys will conduct a free open practice Wednesday, Aug. 20 (7 p.m. CDT) at Texas Stadium to kick off the team's season-long farewell to Texas Stadium.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-19-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #1019
alby
Guru

Yeah we are wildly discussing this at cowboyszone.com, my feeling is that special teams is just as important as offense and defense (according to Jimmy Johnson). So, we should put our best guys out there on the field. Furthermore, Felix was one of the best return men in college football history and we drafted him for this special skillset, it would be stupid to not play him. Injuries can happen at anytime.

Contact Me
Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #1020
Underdog

Rookies Eyeing Value Through Special Teams

link

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys rookie cornerback Orlando Scandrick, all 192 pounds of him, seeks contact in a way that would make former special teams captain Keith Davis proud.

The Cowboys' fourth-round pick already has delivered two "ESPN Jacked Up" worthy hits in preseason. He drilled Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst - it was one of those gasp-inducing smacks that actually gave Scandrick a mild shoulder stinger - and he knocked Broncos receiver Glenn Martinez off his feet this past Saturday.

"I'm not going to shy away from contact," Scandrick said. "I'm out there just trying to make plays. I guess I'm not afraid to hit. I'm not the biggest guy in the world."

That kind of fearless physical play made Davis the Cowboys' emotional leader on special teams for three seasons before bolting to the Miami Dolphins in free agency.

Davis was a part-time defensive starter who found his niche on the coverage units. Scandrick and most of the Cowboys' rookies must do the same if they want to get on the field this season.

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips was disappointed in his special teams coverage, particularly on punt returns, two weeks ago against San Diego with several young players covering NFL kicks for the first time in their careers. The containment improved considerably against Denver - the Broncos averaged five yards on two punt returns and only one kickoff return surpassed 30 yards.

The Cowboys played without two of their primary guys, linebackers Kevin Burnett (knee scope) and Anthony Spencer (bone bruise), which allowed Phillips to evaluate some of the less experienced players.

"It was good to look at the other guys," Phillips said. "When you go out and play we want to play with those core guys, but it gave us a chance to look at some other guys and for those guys to get another chance, basically."

Scandrick in particular could bolster the units in his rookie year. In addition to his cover skills, the Cowboys were intrigued by his special teams production at Boise State. He blocked a school-record seven kicks and came within inches of stuffing a Broncos missed field goal attempt at the end of the first half, his pressure forcing kicker Matt Prater to push it far left.

"Speed at everything you do," Scandrick said when asked the key to blocking kicks. "There's such little room for error on a kicking play. You've got to snap it, you've got to hold it, you've got to kick it. So as much pressure as you can put on the kicker, the better because he feels you.

"He might not see you, but he feels you."

Broncos punter Brett Kern saw plenty of rookie running back Tashard Choice on one of the most bizarre plays you'll ever see. Choice deflected the punt but the ball landed in the arms of Kern, who raced down the right sideline for a 36-yard gain and a first down. Tough break for the Cowboys' fourth-round pick.

"I was looking for the ball," Choice laughed. "I couldn't find the ball and I look up and he's running down the sideline."

Choice said he played special teams as an Oklahoma freshman before transferring to Georgia Tech, where he became a full-time starter. The Cowboys are trying Choice on every major special teams group, and if he can contribute, he could find a spot on the 45-man game-day roster - and maybe get a couple of carries, too.

"Absolutely. That's what they told me," Choice said. "I know I can run the football and play offense, but sometimes you've got to be patient to see exactly where you'll fit in."

Rookie cornerback Mike Jenkins, the Cowboys' 25th overall pick, also stonewalled a Broncos punt return from the outside gunner position. His 4.3 speed should be an asset in the Cowboys' change-up defensive packages and kick coverage. Undrafted safety Dowayne Davis is another rookie who has flashed some special teams potential.

Jenkins also had a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown at South Florida, though Phillips hasn't tried him at that spot yet. Scandrick is in the return mix despite doing very little of it in college (he did, however, average 46.5 yards on 22 returns in high school), and Felix Jones is a primary option unless Phillips decides he's too valuable on offense. Rookie free agent Danny Amendola is trying to prove himself as a punt returner, too.

The Cowboys also are devoting much energy to containing punts and kicks more consistently than last season.

Davis is gone, but players like safety Pat Watkins (last year's special teams tackle leader), Burnett and linebacker Bobby Carpenter are assuming larger leadership roles.

The rookies are listening closely. The more they can add to the kicking game, the better their chances of being active on Sundays - or in some cases, simply making the active roster.

"You can see the potential in all of them," Watkins said. "All of them are very athletic, young guys. If they can contribute some way or another then that'll be great."

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #1021
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Is the artist formerly known as Pacman penciled in as the punt returner (assuming he gets reinstated)?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #1022
alby
Guru

He better be. The coaches weren't planning on letting him return any balls in the Denver game because they felt he was still very rusty and its easier to shake off the rust at CB. But, he begged and begged... and he even got on his knees the morning of (as a joke mind you) and Wade decided to give him one shot. So, what did he end up doing? He ran it back 24 yards like it was a piece of cake.

Contact Me
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #1023
Underdog

Default daily fluff

Coach Calls Tuesday's Practice Best of Camp

link

IRVING, Texas - After more than three weeks of holding practice like a traveling road show, on Tuesday the Cowboys held the first workout at their Valley Ranch training complex since June mini-camp. According to Wade Phillips, it's good to be home.

"I thought we had probably our best practice of the year so far," the coach said. "I think part of it was being home."

The Cowboys held their last two-a-day practice of the year in Denver last week, and Phillips said Tuesday the team had adjusted its schedule closer to what it will be during the regular season. After a Sunday game, the Cowboys usually run and go over film on Monday, have a league-mandated day off Tuesday, and begin working on their next opponent on Wednesday. With a short week before Friday's preseason home opener at Texas Stadium, the schedule had to be altered slightly.

"We started working on things that we're going to work on and play in the ballgame that's coming up rather than things you're going to play throughout the year," Phillips said. "We were more specific about the things we wanted to do this ballgame rather than looking long-term."

Phillips said the team's concentration in Tuesday's two-hour workout was better than any day in practice and the mental errors were down. He said quarterback Tony Romo and the team's defense both played well.

Roy Sits Out

Safety Roy Williams sat out the team portion of Tuesday's practice, though he went through position-specific drills earlier in the workout. He was replaced on the starting defense by third-year safety Pat Watkins.

Wade Phillips was noncommittal when asked why Williams was out.

"He was bothered a little bit," Phillips said. "He said he was fine, but he was just bothered a little bit. The trainers felt like if he stayed out some of the practice that he'd be fine tomorrow."

Team owner Jerry Jones said the five-time Pro-Bowler was experiencing tendinitis in one of his knees.

Williams watched the 11-on-11 drills on the sideline with his helmet off. While the first-team defense played most of the first half Saturday against Denver, Williams wasn't credited with even one tackle in the official stats. He made a stop on the first play, which was wiped out by penalties, but did not have his name called the rest of the contest.

Watkins made an interception in the team drills, playing a two-deep zone. Phillips said he was playing strong safety today, though he and Courtney Brown have been learning free safety as well.

Tank Not Impressed by Defensive Headset

After the NFL's Competition Committee voted to add a radio headset for the defense, there has been a lot of talk about how the operation would work. On offense the quarterback is a natural choice to receive the play call, but defense is different, with all the packages and subbing that happens.

For the Cowboys Bradie James is wearing the headset. When Kevin Burnett is healthy, he'll wear the radio as the nickel linebacker while subbing for James. The NFL's not joking around about having only one guy with a radio to the coaches booth on the field at a time - the current system has defenders locking their radio helmets in a case when someone on the field is already wired.

Cowboys defensive tackle Tank Johnson seems to think the system is more trouble than it's worth.

"It's new, they've got to adjust to it," Johnson said. "I haven't seen much difference in it. Plays still come in slow."

Under The Lights

Why not mix up the practice schedule a little more. The Cowboys' training camp has included a train ride to San Diego, a bus trip back, and three practice days in Denver.

So Wednesday's night practice at Texas Stadium - free for fans - is just another change in the routine, but one that coach Wade Phillips expects to be beneficial for several reasons.

"I think it's going to be important that we practice tomorrow night at the stadium," Phillips said after Tuesday's practice at Valley Ranch. "I think it will be good for our young players, some of them haven't ever been to Texas Stadium. I think our fans out there, being at home, the appreciation from our fans and certainly our appreciation to them, it will be an important step for us and will make for a good practice tomorrow."

Presented by Miller Lite, the Cowboys are hosting a "Silver and Blue Debut" to officially kick off the team's season-long "Farewell to Texas Stadium" commemoration.

Gates at Texas Stadium will open for fans at 4:30 p.m. (CDT). The event will feature performances by the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and an autograph session with former players.

Phillips said the Chargers had a few night practices at the stadium for their fans when he served as defensive coordinator just a few years back. The coach said playing in front of any fans can get the team acclimated to the crowd noise.

"That's why training camp is good because we have people hollering and stuff," Phillips said. "It makes you concentrate a little bit."

Time to Let the Chris Henry Thing Go . . .

For all the e-mailers who have asked about the Cowboys' potential interest in Chris Henry, the former West Virgina receiver with a rap sheet, that ship has sailed. Henry on Tuesday re-signed with Cincinnati.

The Bengals cut Henry four months ago following his fifth arrest since 2005. The Cowboys apparently never showed an interest despite Henry saying Dallas was attractive to him, and the team's rumored desire to add a receiver. That signals a couple things:

1.) Despite all the speculation, the Cowboys really are content to roll with their receiving corps as-is, and are committed to developing some of those young guys, the Hurds, Austins, Stanbacks and Amendolas of the world.

2.) Though they've had some success helping a few troubled players turn their lives and careers around, the Cowboys are going to be mindful about how many of these risks they're taking.

Injury Update

Outside linebacker Justin Rogers practiced Tuesday after suffering a minor shoulder separation against Denver. Defensive end Chris Canty practiced as well. He left Saturday's game after the first play with a hip injury.

Missing practice were cornerbacks Terence Newman (groin) and Quincy Butler (hamstring), linebackers Anthony Spencer (bone bruise) and Kevin Burnett (knee surgery), receiver Miles Austin (sprained MCL), safety Tyler Everett (back), defensive end Marcus Dixon (back) and fullback Ronnie Cruz (shoulder).

Phillips has said he thinks Newman and Spencer could be returning late this week or early next week. Austin will likely miss four-six weeks after hurting his right knee covering a kickoff Saturday, and Burnett is expected to be back for the season opener Sept. 7.

Short Shots

A day after Wade Phillips joked that Chris Canty's game-ending injury against Denver was a "glutial contusion, " Canty wanted to clarify that there's nothing wrong with his rear end, saying, "Just to set the record straight, it's not my butt, okay? It's not my glute, none of that. It was my hip! I fell on my hip, ladies and gentlemen, and I'm fine." . . . Phillips stood by his statement from Monday that he was reluctant to let first-round draft pick Felix Jones return kickoffs, for fear of Jones getting injured. Comparisons to Chicago's Devin Hester aren't fair, Phillips said, because Hester's more of a punt return specialist, and is not as integral a part of their offense. . . The team's coaches have begun working on strategy for Cleveland, the Cowboys' season-opening opponent, Phillips said . . .Phillips seemed to say that if healthy, Miles Austin will be the team's kick returner.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #1024
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Supposedly Boldin is still upset and wants to be traded. I really wish we'd make a push for this guy.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=3543594

Wanting new deal, Cards WR Boldin asks for trade
Associated Press

Updated: August 19, 2008, 10:28 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin asked to be traded, saying he doesn't feel his situation can be resolved and declaring he has no relationship with coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Boldin

"I'm a football player. That's about it," Boldin said Tuesday when asked to characterize his dealings with the coach these days.

A team spokesman said the Cardinals have no plans to trade the sixth-year standout and still hope to sign him to a contract extension.

Whisenhunt sounded puzzled when discussing reports that Boldin had said he was no longer speaking to the coach.

"We've been communicating," he said. "If communicating is talking, that's what we have been doing at practice. As we go forward, I don't know. I don't foresee anything changing. If it does, it's in his court."

Boldin offered a glimpse of his talent late in Tuesday's workout, splitting a pair of defenders on a slant route during a 2-minute drill. He made a nimble catch on a bullet thrown by Kurt Warner for a 25-yard gain.

But with training camp starting to wind down, Boldin made it sound as if it was a tortured three weeks off the field.

The two-time Pro Bowl player, who blasted team officials as camp opened, claims the Cardinals reneged on an offer to re-negotiate his contract.

He has three years left on the four-year, $22.75 million extension he signed after the 2005 season that keeps him under contract through 2010. He's making an average of $4 million a year.

"It's a tough situation, especially when you come into a working environment," Boldin said after practice. "But my job is to stay professional. I'm going to do what I'm supposed to do."

Although Boldin previously denied asking for a trade, he said Tuesday that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has asked the Cardinals to consider it now.

"At the beginning of camp, I hadn't asked for a trade," Boldin said. "As of recently, we did."

Asked if he believes his standoff with Arizona can be resolved, Boldin shook his head and simply said, "No."

Teammate Larry Fitzgerald signed a four-year $40 million, deal after last season, with $30 million guaranteed, but Boldin has said he believes Fitzgerald earned the deal and that's not why he's unhappy.

Boldin is one of the NFL's top receivers. He reached 400 career receptions faster than any other player, doing it in 67 games. In five seasons, Boldin has 413 receptions for 5,458 yards and 29 touchdowns.

"If I'm not going to be treated fairly, if my hard work and loyalty isn't going to be rewarded here, then let me go somewhere where it's going to be rewarded. That's how I feel," Boldin said.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 08-20-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #1025
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

the artist formerly known as pacman....lol

Boldin for 1st round picks in '09 and '10???? Would ya?

I think I would.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #1026
alby
Guru

Joey Galloway. No thanks.

Nothing more than a 1st and 3rd

Contact Me
Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #1027
Underdog

Do we even have enough cap space to sign Boldin at $4mil/year?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #1028
alexamenos
Diamond Member

i think this is different from the galloway situation -- the cowboys window was closing fast when they pulled that.

this team needs a guy for romo and barber and witten for the next 5+ years, and Boldin fits that bill.

I kinda look at it this way -- > if someone told me that the cowboys could draft a stud ready for the nfl wide receiver with the first next year, but the price they'd have to pay is a bust with the first the following year, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

and....thinking about cap space gives me tired head.

Last edited by alexamenos; 08-20-2008 at 12:05 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #1029
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Do we even have enough cap space to sign Boldin at $4mil/year?
We have a little over 10M available right now.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #1030
alby
Guru

Don't get me wrong, Bolden would perfect for us.

It would improve us this year. And, it would be a great move for the future as T.O. gets old.. and Bolden would age well with Romo.

Contact Me
Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #1031
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
We have a little over 10M available right now.
Nice.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #1032
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

lets do boldin for a 4th rounder...good players seem to be had cheap lately. (4th for pacman, really? 4th for shockey?)

Last edited by Ninkobei; 08-20-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #1033
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Boldin would be an awesome pickup, as mentioned. It's not like he is a stiff who wants to get paid, he has performed and has done it for a while now.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #1034
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Bolden would perfect for us.

It would improve us this year. And, it would be a great move for the future as T.O. gets old.. and Bolden would age well with Romo.
this would help take my mind off the DG signing....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #1035
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, they're two totally different things, but I get what you're saying.

I don't know how likely it is that Boldin would get traded right now.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #1036
alby
Guru

F DG.

Contact Me
Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #1037
Underdog

Default daily fluff

All Quiet At The Ranch On Boldin Front

link

IRVING, Texas - There was no way with 25,000 people trekking into Texas Stadium Wednesday evening for the Miller Lite 2008 Cowboys Silver and Blue Debut that the topic of wide receivers wasn't going to come up.

Not with the Cowboys a man down at that position with Miles Austin missing the free workout with a sprained MCL in his right knee and all the talk coming out of Flagstaff, Ariz., about Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin asking to be traded for either the first time or the second time, depending on who you believe.

And sure enough, the topic of wide receivers came up in the Stadium Club, with the radio voice of the Dallas Cowboys Brad Sham interviewing Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, who was answering questions provided by fans. And while Jones said he could not specifically answer a question like that about a player under contract with another team, he did remind the fans gathered around how owner Jerry Jones had said during the off-season he would do what he could to upgrade the wide receiver position if an opportunity presented itself.

Jerry Jones meant, of course, potentially trading for a veteran wide receiver who could provide instant help rather than drafting one in the second or third round. Nothing materialized in the off-season, and Cardinals officials are insisting no matter what the veteran Boldin says, they have no interest in trading a guy under a contract averaging $4 million a year for three more years.

But Stephen Jones would go on to say, "If we have a chance to improve ourselves, we'll look at that."

And while rumors were quickly spreading on Wednesday that the Cowboys were offering a first-round pick in 2009 and starting defensive end Marcus Spears for Boldin, a club source said the Cowboys absolutely had made no offer to the Cardinals for the veteran wideout. Also remember, any remaining prorated signing bonus immediately escalates against the salary cap when a player is traded, and in Spears case, that would be $2.68 million charging the Cowboys cap.

Of course the operative word Stephen Jones used is "chance." Because Boldin, if the Cardinals were willing to trade him and if the asking price wasn't prohibitive, would improve any team. During his five NFL seasons, Boldin has caught 413 passes for 5,458 yards and 29 touchdowns.

The source of Boldin's unhappiness with the Cardinals is the four-year, $40 million contract they signed fellow wideout Larry Fitzgerald to this off-season that included $30 million in guarantees. Boldin's five-year, more than $23 million extension signed two years ago pales in comparison.

But again, if indeed the Cardinals changed their minds and if a team could afford the asking price, then Boldin's contract demands would have to be met, likely creating some salary-cap headaches this time of year for any team.

Pacman to Start at Left Corner Friday

While practicing at Texas Stadium under the lights and in front of an estimated 25,000 fans Wednesday night was a big change to the routine, the Cowboys' first-team defense had a new look as well.

For the first time since the initial week of camp, the Cowboys worked Adam Jones with the first-team defense at left cornerback. Head coach Wade Phillips said Jones will start there Friday night in the third preseason game against the Houston Texans (7 p.m. CDT).

"Pacman will start at left cornerback. He's been playing both sides, although he's played right in the game," Phillips said. "He can play both sides. He's feeling more comfortable. I think you saw that the last game."

Jones tied for the team lead with six tackles against Denver and added a pass deflection that nearly went for an interception. Jones also returned one punt for 24 yards.

After regular starter Terence Newman suffered a groin injury in the first week of camp, the Cowboys put rookie first-round pick Mike Jenkins on the left side to give him extended reps, while Jones remained on the right side, backing up starter Anthony Henry.

However, Phillips has stated all along that Jones would get some reps on the left side and apparently this week is the best time to make the move. And it might be the only time to get Jones some work with the first team, considering Newman might return for the preseason finale Aug. 28 against Minnesota.

Either way, Jones said he is excited about the opportunity and is no stranger to playing on both sides of the field.

"It looks like I'm going to be the starter on Friday. I've played both corners (before)," Jones said. "It's preseason. I'm just happy to be out here competing. All I wanted to do was get a chance to compete and I'm getting a chance."

Phillips said Jenkins would work with the second-team defense but would remain in the first dime defense, which has six defensive backs on the field, including Henry, who plays more of a safety position.

A Change For The Dime

The Cowboys began training camp with second-year safety Courtney Brown coming in on the dime defense when Roy Williams came off the field, taking the place of Pat Watkins who manned that spot all of last year.

But for the past week, Watkins has regained his former job, and was seen once again during Wednesday night's practice at Texas Stadium working on the first-team dime package. Watkins has intercepted two passes in two preseason games, but unfortunately for him, both have been wiped out by penalties on a teammate. Also working as the lone linebacker on the first-team dime package Wednesday night was Bobby Carpenter, taking the place of the usual change-up defensive linebacker Kevin Burnett, who is likely out another two weeks following arthroscopic knee surgery. The Cowboys worked starting inside linebacker Bradie James there against the Broncos and have given veteran Zach Thomas some reps in practice at that spot, too.

Short Shots

Rookie cornerback Orlando Scandrick turned in a nice practice in his Texas Stadium debut, intercepting a ball and putting himself in good position to make a few more plays . . . For portions of practice, the Cowboys starters worked against a scout team offense or defense, running plays they'll use Friday against Houston . . . Rookie free-agent receiver Mark Bradford made a nice play against Adam "Pacman" Jones, coming back to the ball to make a leaping catch.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-21-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #1038
ty
Diamond Member

Drool...Cowboys.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #1039
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Game tonight, baby! Fridays can't get any better than this

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #1040
Underdog

Spencer Out 2-4 Weeks After Surgery

link

IRVING, Texas - Second-year outside linebacker Anthony Spencer underwent arthroscopic surgery Wednesday morning to remove a chip from his swollen right knee.

Spencer is the second Cowboys linebacker in five days to have a knee scope, as Kevin Burnett had a similar procedure Friday. Spencer should miss 2-4 weeks, Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said.

"It was a clean-out much like Burnett," Phillips said. "There was a particle that just kept catching."

The injury was first diagnosed as a simple bone bruise. Last year's first-round pick, Spencer banged knees with someone during the San Diego preseason game Aug. 9, though he was not listed on the post-game injury report. He experienced no swelling on Aug. 10, a Sunday, but was held out of practice on that Monday, when the knee began to flare up.

The Cowboys coaches had raved about the improvements Spencer made on the technique side of the game, and in camp he was challenging starter Greg Ellis for more playing time.

At first the Purdue product was expected to miss just a few days, which soon turned to a couple of weeks. Phillips said last week he thought the linebacker might be able to practice against Denver, but the swelling did not go down.

Doctors expect Burnett to be back for the season-opener in Cleveland, Sept. 7. With two linebackers coming off knee surgery though, the Cowboys may be forced to go long at the position on their final roster cuts. Last year the team kept eight linebackers, and usually had all of them active on gameday.

Seven of those 'backers return, and the team signed Zach Thomas to start next to Bradie James on the inside. The team used its sixth-round pick on outside linebacker Erik Walden of Middle Tennessee State.