Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #1001
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
He can't guard me, he can't guard me.. Set me another moving pick will ya' chandler!
almost predictably, calls on stuff like that completely reversed between halves. First half, all the questionable off-the ball calls and no-calls seemed to go against the Hornets. Second half, they seemed to go against the Mavs.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 04-20-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #1002
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately when we do try to make a statement, it only lasts for 24 minutes.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 AM   #1003
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine if a coworker, a classmate or someone similar walked up to you, jawing and talking to you like you were a dog that needed a newspaper on the head and then put his hand on your face.... how do you react?

We lost for other reasons but I'm really sick of this being a talking point because we let people bump us, talk down to us and touch us in ways that would not be acceptable.

Yes, Dirk can answer this by dropping 40 on David West on Tuesday but even if he does (or doesn't), he still should have put David West's hand off his face. How do you feel about someone that lets you tap and pat his cheek anytime you want? You're not treating them like a peer. You respect them like you respect a dog or a child.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #1004
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
Hey all of you guys that have been calling Dirk "Soft" did you see or hear what happened? I don't know if this is true but I heard that Kobe elbowed a nuggets player and then Kobe got shoved into the front row, did Kobe go after the player physically?Nope, he simply went to the freethrow line and shot some FT's. When Dirk got tapped on his face and did not retaliate people called Dirk "soft'', Kobe gets shoved and did not retaliate and Kobe will probably get called "a very wise player". Proves the double standard in the Nba.
Did you see it? Kobe got T'd up for going back at Kenyon Martin. No way did Kobe just back down. He shot his free throws but gave Kenyon that "Don't F with me" look while jawing him while taking the free throws. And i've seen Kobe fight Chris Childs and Reggie Miller so I think if someone was to put a finger into his face he may do a little more than just walk away.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #1005
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yup I agree, but let's not go there because I will probably end up getting dissed and getting negative rep if I start talking about this issue. But deep down in most people's heart they know the truth about what's really going on...
Not the "League is racist against white guys" bullshit again is it?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #1006
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Imagine if a coworker, a classmate or someone similar walked up to you, jawing and talking to you like you were a dog that needed a newspaper on the head and then put his hand on your face.... how do you react?

We lost for other reasons but I'm really sick of this being a talking point because we let people bump us, talk down to us and touch us in ways that would not be acceptable.

Yes, Dirk can answer this by dropping 40 on David West on Tuesday but even if he does (or doesn't), he still should have put David West's hand off his face. How do you feel about someone that lets you tap and pat his cheek anytime you want? You're not treating them like a peer. You respect them like you respect a dog or a child.
Yea that's my whole thing. Atleast show some reaction. Dirk's the vet. He's been in the league what? 10 years now? He was in the league when West was still in high school yet West looked like the one who's been in the league. I Don't know I mean I guess that's just Dirk's personality. He's a laid back guy who leads by his shot. I just don't see how people can follow Dirk's lead when he's getting punked around by players on the opposing team. I wouldn't be so concerned if I didn't see this same nonsense in the 1st round series last season.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 AM   #1007
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
How do you feel about someone that lets you tap and pat his cheek
I don't know how this is seen in the States, among NBA players, among "brothers", etc. In Europe, especially southern Europe, it is very common to pat another player (for example soccer player) on his cheek as a way of saying something like "lighten up, take it easy, etc." If this is an act of insult or improper contact, however, the refs should give technicals. Dirk was smart not to react. Why risk being thrown out of the game or even be suspended?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #1008
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Tweli,

Good point. Perhaps there is something cultural here and there is nothing wrong with a 'tap' or a 'pat' amongst brothers but that happens on a peer level and goes back and forth.

But I did not see that. I saw David West warning Dirk with a "do it or else" message. Dirk appeared to be stepping up as he met West nose-to-nose but when West put his hand on Dirk's face aka ante-ing up, Dirk didn't call or raise. All he had to do was call. It happened rather quickly so perhaps Dirk was going to bring his backhand if the ref didn't come in but to stand still and take a few quick pats was a fold - perhaps my perspective is too much of the ole American tit-for-tat ego. Or youth. I confess to making in-the-moment mistakes but....

Putting myself in Dirk's shoes, I wouldn't have started swinging. I would've patted the instigator's face back or blocked their hand from touching my face. Either which shouldn't garner a suspension and would've communicated to the man in my face: this isn't how we dialogue.

It's really not a huge deal because Dirk's not changing who he is, whoever he is. Which everybody seems to agree is some element between smart and soft.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #1009
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Even when Tim Thomas "punked" him two years ago, Dirk barely said anything. He just proceeded to drop 50 points on his ass.

Duncan did the same thing to KG a couple of years ago. Not everyone is from the "hood" in the league. Some guys are just down to earth.

What worries me more is that I heard Dirk again say "they were sitting on our plays". He said the same thing after the Kidd trade about what went on previously. Appearently the Kidd trade has done nothing to revitalize the offense in Dirk's eyes. I am convinced that at this point he and AJ don't see eye to eye much.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #1010
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

What I fear more than anything regarding Dirk is that he gets into frustration mode. That's what happened against the Warriors. Instead of excelling, he was shrinking, probably boiling inside, but not speaking up, he lost focus and nothing worked out. I think we saw already signs of it in the 4th quarter. Hope they come up with a strategy that works in the next game.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #1011
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting how some fail to appreciate the player who can keep his head and not get caught up in the moment. Imo, Dirk showed remarkable poise and sportsmanship. And he probably helped to prevent a bigger ordeal. Think about it for a minute. If he was T'd up for giving this "soft" response what would have happened if he actually reacted? Seems to me in the world of inconsistent officiating and the Stern evaluation system both players might have received a suspension if Dirk escalates the encounter. Dirk taps West on his face.... West goes ballistic..... other players get involved.... multi-player bruhaha ensues... league evaluates the blow-up ..... players on both sides are suspended for one game or more....Dirk and West are probably at the heart of the matter. No, Dirk was the real MAN in this situation. I don't give a crap what the "experts" say. They're living on Fantasy Island.

Now if Avery is smart he will start game two with Dirk going right at West for the first few plays. If Dirk scores the first six or eight points then the statement is made and West is put back in his place. Dirk and the Mavs have an opportunity to get into West's head a little bit here if they choose to exploit it.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #1012
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Did you see it? Kobe got T'd up for going back at Kenyon Martin. No way did Kobe just back down. He shot his free throws but gave Kenyon that "Don't F with me" look while jawing him while taking the free throws. And i've seen Kobe fight Chris Childs and Reggie Miller so I think if someone was to put a finger into his face he may do a little more than just walk away.
Dirk didn't "back down", nothing of the sort. but he obviously didn't feel dissed about what west did either. He just didn't. There's no wonder that more euro's don't do more promotions or are more outspoken, the average dumbass media and fan can't recognize any cultural differences or accept them.

If he's not running down screaming like a banshee he's "soft", although he's nothing of the sort.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #1013
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not the "League is racist against white guys" bullshit again is it?
No not the league is racist against white guys, it's the nba black analyst that is the problem here and that carries over to the fans.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #1014
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
Even when Tim Thomas "punked" him two years ago, Dirk barely said anything. He just proceeded to drop 50 points on his ass.

Duncan did the same thing to KG a couple of years ago. Not everyone is from the "hood" in the league. Some guys are just down to earth.

What worries me more is that I heard Dirk again say "they were sitting on our plays". He said the same thing after the Kidd trade about what went on previously. Appearently the Kidd trade has done nothing to revitalize the offense in Dirk's eyes. I am convinced that at this point he and AJ don't see eye to eye much.
I don't think they do either, nor do I think the rest of the team has much faith in ko'ach right now. How can they, he's led them to slaughter twice already and has spent this year fumbling around like a blind man.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #1015
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk is not Kobe, says the ref. Dirk got a T on the play when he didn't retaliate. If he'd done any more, he'd a been thrown out. Or suspended for a game. If Kobe had done anything to get thrown out or suspended a game in the playoffs, he might avoid the label "soft" but he'd get the label "stupid."
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #1016
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if you call what kobe did with reggie miller fighting, you probably shouldnt be giving an views on whats soft...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #1017
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i hope dirk drops 40 points in game 2. That will put west in his place.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #1018
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Am i the only person of seeing defenders allowed to play extremely physical with Dirk? He gets handchecked every game, he is usually thrown around with no call,No other power forward is allowed to be guarded the way Dirk is guarded imo, its freaking unfair, Here is a picture of some "defense" by Tyson Chandler that I found on Db.com

Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #1019
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Am i the only person of seeing defenders allowed to play extremely physical with Dirk? He gets handchecked every game, he is usually thrown around with no call,No other power forward is allowed to be guarded the way Dirk is guarded imo, its freaking unfair, Here is a picture of some "defense" by Tyson Chandler that I found on Db.com

For one thing, the hand on him when he's facing up is supposed to be an automatic foul.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #1020
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
For one thing, the hand on him when he's facing up is supposed to be an automatic foul.
Its frustrating me because this happens in every game, why can't refs give us a fair shake? Every playoff series is starting to become the same, Dirk gets pounded with no call, while the star player on the other team gets freethrows for every bit of contact. Its just not fair, we have to overcome so much in this series.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #1021
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Also if he turns and swings through with the ball he gets hit with a flagrant. I don't understand that rule either, I knew when they allowed more rules to be called by the refs it would work out bad because there is no accountability, no public review and they are always arbitrary.

I think as soon as the dirkster retires I'll go back into my don't care about the nba mode. It worked out better for me for quite a while.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #1022
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Also if he turns and swings through with the ball he gets hit with a flagrant. I don't understand that rule either, I knew when they allowed more rules to be called by the refs it would work out bad because there is no accountability, no public review and they are always arbitrary.

I think as soon as the dirkster retires I'll go back into my don't care about the nba mode. It worked out better for me for quite a while.
Amen to this. I don't even watch other teams anymore because it's NB"WWF"A these days. I like the way Dirk plays the game. But the NBA is pretty much a joke. The officiating is the very reason they don't get more fans.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #1023
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
This is when Dirk should just stop play, walk over to the ref to point it out. Take the travel and turnover and probable technical, but point it out in the game at the moment, for everyone to see. Fight the power.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #1024
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
This is when Dirk should just stop play, walk over to the ref to point it out. Take the travel and turnover and probable technical, but point it out in the game at the moment, for everyone to see. Fight the power.
Yea I agree, Dirk's weakness is that he usually doesn't speak out, he should speak to the refs about how defenders are guarding him, he should speak to Cubes about Avery's useless coaching, he should speak to J-ho about his terrible shot selection. He needs to step up and speak about these things .
Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #1025
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli
I don't know how this is seen in the States, among NBA players, among "brothers", etc. In Europe, especially southern Europe, it is very common to pat another player (for example soccer player) on his cheek as a way of saying something like "lighten up, take it easy, etc." If this is an act of insult or improper contact, however, the refs should give technicals. Dirk was smart not to react. Why risk being thrown out of the game or even be suspended?
I watch soccer religiously and the pat on the face that Dirk got was not the pat on the face after a hard slide tackle that is common in Europe. I would have pounded that dude into the ground personally, but that ain't Dirk. I am not saying that he was smart in not retaliating, because I think he should have at least bowed up on West a little harder after the pat. Maybe even a slight head butt would suffice. This was blatant disrespect and should be treated as such.

Anyway, I still think these boys are alright. It's just one game.

Last edited by Flip41; 04-21-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #1026
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yea I agree, Dirk's weakness is that he usually doesn't speak out, he should speak to the refs about how defenders are guarding him, he should speak to Cubes about Avery's useless coaching, he should speak to J-ho about his terrible shot selection. He needs to step up and speak about these things .
Somebody e-mail this to Cuban?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #1027
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
if you call what kobe did with reggie miller fighting, you probably shouldnt be giving an views on whats soft...
Did I say Kobe wasn't soft? I've seen Chris Childs and Reggie Miller beat his ass but I wouldn't call that soft that's just getting your ass kicked. I think that's just someone who can't fight.

Quote:
Dirk didn't "back down", nothing of the sort. but he obviously didn't feel dissed about what west did either. He just didn't. There's no wonder that more euro's don't do more promotions or are more outspoken, the average dumbass media and fan can't recognize any cultural differences or accept them.

If he's not running down screaming like a banshee he's "soft", although he's nothing of the sort.
I didn't say Dirk backed down. I said Kobe didn't. I don't know what Dirk did. I'm still in shock by his attitude against the whole thing as if he just didn't care.

Quote:

Once again I have to ask did you watch the game? That play was a foul. I think even Chandler got a technical on the play as well....Some defenders get a bit more leeway than others. Its mostly the guys who are known as good defenders in this league. Ron Artest, Marcus Camby, Bruce Bowen, etc. They're all allowed more contact than the average defender.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 04-21-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #1028
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Once again I have to ask did you watch the game? That play was a foul. I think even Chandler got a technical on the play as well....Some defenders get a bit more leeway than others. Its mostly the guys who are known as good defenders in this league. Ron Artest, Marcus Camby, Bruce Bowen, etc. They're all allowed more contact than the average defender.
Did you? He didn't get a foul until dirk made a move to the basket, he never got one from that defense shown. Then he got the tech when he pushed him in the back.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #1029
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To what end?

When has a player ever successfully convinced a ref of anything?

Dirk is doing the right thing. The thing that every single one of these cocky loud mouth arrogant narcissistic athletes should do: Shut the $%^uck up, and just play the game.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #1030
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Did you? He didn't get a foul until dirk made a move to the basket, he never got one from that defense shown. Then he got the tech when he pushed him in the back.
Let me go and watch the game again but I could've sworn Chandler got called for a foul on that same possession and then he to pushed Dirk and he flew like superman to the ground. I guess i'm wrong but I could've sworn that was the same possession.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 04-21-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #1031
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Let me go and watch the game again but I could've sworn Chandler got called for a foul on that same possession and then he to pushed Dirk and he flew like superman to the ground. I guess i'm wrong but I could've sworn that was the same possession.
go to youtube and search on dirk flopper or something like that. It's on there.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #1032
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the refs to call the d*mn hand checking foul.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #1033
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Chandler did get called for a foul on that play, but the call was about 5 seconds late. He should have been called before Dirk started to even make his move--he had BOTH hands on Dirk's body, which is supposed to be an automatic foul.

The fact that Dirk had to start driving to the basket to get that all is completely inconsistent with the way the refs call that for most other superstars. It's funny, because Dirk got that call 9 times out of 10 in the Spurs series 2 years ago. Ever since Miami, though, guys have been allowed to practically get in his shorts with complete immunity.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #1034
ty
Diamond Member

When you see a player like Duncan or KG post up. The defender plays close. However, when they pivot to face the defender, they always back off. It's a d*mn foul if you don't and your hands are on their body. I freakin hate the Stern, his minion refs, and the NBA.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #1035
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...d-Revenge.html

ESPN.com - True Hoop - Blog

ESPN.com presents True Hoop by Henry Abbott

Weirdest moment of the weekend.

It started simply. Dirk Nowitzki and David West were scrambling, and Nowitzki's elbow tagged West in the head. I watched the replay several times, and really can't tell if it was intentional or not. I tend to suspect not.

But hey, if someone nails you in the head, I'm fine with the idea that you might want to tell them not to do that again.

And David West did just that. He was mad.

But there was a lot on the line. Every NBA player, at all times, is one angry moment from being suspended for a game.

So, what did West do? Even if you saw it, you might find yourself wondering: What did WestDirk Nowitzki and David West do?

If you have little kids, then you know that life sometimes calls for you to rub sunscreen or lotion into the faces of others. David West pretty much reached out his hand, and rubbed some imaginary lotion into Nowitzki's cheek.

In tense moments, a lot of people hate even to be touched. So this was ballsy. It was bold. It was intrusive. It was certainly a warning, and it was intended as such.

Nowitzki stood there, looking ... what ... confused, perhaps? Not running and hiding, but standing there, until they were seperated and play resumed.

And in so doing Nowitzki earned an "F" in the eyes of observers ranging from NBA legends like Magic Johnson to all kinds of people who comments on message boards and blogs.

Lots of people wanted Nowitzki to ball up his fist and go to town on David West.

"I watched that whole thing," observes ESPN's David Thorpe. "If you watched their body language before and after the event, I don't think they even dislike each other. I don't think there was animosity. They are both hard-working, classy dudes. And I'm not even sure Dirk knew his elbow had hit David West. He looked more stunned than anything. I heard from some coaches who said 'Dirk's gotta punch that guy!' My view is so different."

Here it's worth noting -- in general, Thorpe is no pacifist. He is open about the fact that he loves players with a bit of a nasty edge. Thorpe continues:

I don't think Dirk knew what was going on. I don't think he was aware he'd hit David West. I think he was a little bit stunned by the reaction.

The smartest thing Dirk can do is nothing. If Dirk throws a punch, how do his teammates react? Does he break a finger?

And Dirk -- the player everyone has been trying to stop for years but hasn't been able to -- has to prove that he's a tough guy? Even if you buy into that, and I don't, with the referee standing right there is not the time. Never.

If you need some retaliation, you wait four or five plays and then set a hard screen, or initiate a tough drive.

But all that happened to Dirk, remember, was that some dude rubbed his face. The punishment has to fit the crime.

Also, isn't the goal to win the series? You don't do that by getting caught up like 16-year-olds in some stupid thing. I don't think the Lakers of the eighties were tougher than the Detroit Bad Boys, or Kevin McHale's Celtics. But they won five rings! If it was a battle royale, the Lakers would lose. But it's basketball, and they won.

And think about the current Lakers ... Anthony Carter put a little shove into Kobe, but Kobe doesn't punch him back! That's not the way to retaliate.

Mike Fisher of DallasBasketball.com has been hearing from Dallas fans who were disappointed in Nowitzki, and found the fan reaction disturbing:

... this isn't about Nowitzki's mindset. It's about yours, and maybe your desire to see Dirk "stand up for himself" is more about your insecurities, your anger, your youth, your biases, your impotence. ... impotence, anyway, as it relates to your toughness being limited to how loudly you yell at the TV.

What is the enduring image of Nolan [Ryan] that is burned into the psyche of the locals? Is is the fastball, the longevity, the no-hitters, the bronze statue?

Nope. It's Aug. 4, 1993. It's 26-year-old White Sox hitter Robin Ventura charging the mound to engage with the 46-year-old Ryan. ... and ol' Nollie ensnaring the punk in a headlock and delivering six bloody blows to Ventura's face.

Who won the game? Who friggin' cares? Don't Mess With Texas!

Nolan Ryan has made a decent living off that headlock alone. If Dirk will do the same thing -- series outcome be damned -- he'll be set for life. I'm serious here: If Dirk Nowitzki punches David West in the face on national TV, Magic and Barkley will praise him, fans will wear T-shirts memorializing the moment, Nowitzki will never have to pay for another beer in this town, and someday, someday, he'll be named President of the Texas Rangers.

Basketball is a high-testosterone operation. A lot of adrenaline, and a lot of machismo. That's the fun part, right?

Most of the time ... One of the problems that can come of it is excessive worry about losing face. When the machismo is that high, losing face can be seen as an unforgivable disgrace.

The problem with that is that it can get you into a revenge mindset. Eye for an eye leaves the whole village blind, right? One of the beautiful things about modern culture is that we don't have to use that approach to justice. You can walk tall without avenging every little ounce of injustice that comes your way. That's progress. (If you have an hour to think more about that, consider listening to this, or get your hands on the full-length version of this about how complicated life can get when you're driven by vengeance.)

That doesn't mean you don't defend your home, your family, your health, and all that. But face rubs?

Nowitzki got to choose how to react, and he chose to be calm. That might have been right, and it might have been wrong. But it sure wasn't a catastrophe, and it sure won't decide this series.

And Nowitzki did finish with 31 and 10. It's not like he was emasculated by the event.

Let's be honest: if the Mavericks had won that game, nobody would have said anything. Instead, they lost, and there is pressure on all involved to explain why the Mavericks lost. It has to be somebody's fault. You could make a strong case out of the team's habitual inability to slow supernova guards like Chris Paul. You could point to how well Jannero Pargo draped himself all over Jason Terry. You could also wonder when, exactly, Josh Howard will be ready to play his game again.

None of that is as sexy as signing up the most obvious Maverick for the most obvious criticism. Dirk Nowitzki, fair or not, has a place in many NBA fans' imagination as the big man with the soft heart. Seeing him not react to this seemed to be in keeping with a perceived longer term beta-dog attitude.

We have all seen Nowitzki -- like a lot of top NBA players -- fail in big situations. He deserves some of that criticism.

But is he really a flawed player?

(Brace yourself for a bizarre turn of events, as we're about to discuss the triangle offense.)

Quick: who was the best player of the weekend? There are a lot of names in the mix (Duncan, Howard, Paul, etc.) but one of the biggest names must be Pau Gasol, who was magnificent in getting his first-ever playoff win.

Does Gasol pass some kind of magic toughness test that Nowitzki fails? I suspect not. In fact, for most of Pau Gasol's career in Memphis, he was seen as something of a poor man's Dirk Nowitzki. Only in the last few months is Gasol, in the minds of most NBA fans, part of a system that works -- a system the Mavericks would like to have.

There are a million differences between the Lakers and the Mavericks (including, um, Kobe Bryant). But one of them is that the Lakers use a system that rewards Pau Gasol for being Pau Gasol. In the triangle, the ball moves to exploit weaknesses in the defense, and Gasol can pass, shoot, post, and see the floor in a way that makes him incredibly dangerous -- without having to do a lot of alpha dog dominating in the paint.

Nowitzki, meanwhile, plays in a more traditional NBA offense, where he is called on, time and again, to go mano a mano against his opponent.

It's a miniature cage match. How many times have you seen him out there, with the ball, and a man in his face. Clock ticking down ... and he's not so mobile. But everyone in the place is saying -- all right, superstar, time to earn your money.

Nowitzki often gets the better of his man, at times -- including some memorable times late in big games -- he has not. (Gasol, meanwhile, gets to make touch passes to open shooters.)

So by the time we see Nowitzki's man tapping him on the cheek, as the Mavericks struggle it seems like this the thousandth battle Nowitzki has lost against a series of hard-battling opponents, not a passing moment of tension.

It can seem, in those moments, that what the Dallas Mavericks really need from Dirk Nowitzki is for him to beat that man. The same man who will be draped all over him when the game is on the line.

Gasol is lucky to be in a place where what his team needs from him is not to show people up, but to play basketball.

I don't if Dirk Nowitzki is the reason the Mavericks fell apart in the Finals against the Heat in 2006, in the first-round last year, or against the Hornets yesterday. But I do know this: he can do a lot to help your team, but he probably can not be your enforcer, and that's not the end of the world.

(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #1036
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That is precisely what I saw, I didn't think of putting it into words, but I must backup what you just said. He looked like he didn't even feel West was touching his face. It was weird, but it didn't leave me with a feeling Dirk got punked. If anything he didn't even acknowledge West's pathetic reaction.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #1037
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
That is precisely what I saw, I didn't think of putting it into words, but I must backup what you just said. He looked like he didn't even feel West was touching his face. It was weird, but it didn't leave me with a feeling Dirk got punked. If anything he didn't even acknowledge West's pathetic reaction.
I just watched the incident between Dirk and D-west once again just now and I have come to a conclusion, the tap on Dirk's cheek looks worse in slow mo, in reality it was a quick tap to Dirk's face and Dirk seemed pretty surprised at West for doing that. I don't think Dirk realized that he elbowed west which resulted in Dirk's reaction, just my opinion.

Last edited by LSMF; 04-21-2008 at 07:44 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #1038
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

LETS KICK SOME WHORENET (LOL) ASS ON TUESDAY
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #1039
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

This whole tapping on the face controversy is getting much more discussion that is necessary.. both in the media and on this board.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #1040
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
...seriously lawrence? after 1 game?
what did you think of the game tonight?
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote