Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #1001
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
lol yeah.

I am going to try as hard as I can to get through the last 3.5 hours of LOST before twisting off on them any further. There's still time...
Yeah I think this is a good point. I think we need to hold off on further judgment until we get at least another episode under our belt.

I'm the sure this next one will set up some epic battle in the finale. As i alluded to several weeks ago- the "chess pieces" are being moved to strategic points (or killed off.)

I do think someone is going to come out of nowhere to save the day in the finale. I think it will be Ben or perhaps Rose and Bernard. But I do think some unlikely hero will step in at the last moment and help defeat MiB. Just a hunch.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #1002
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

for what its worth I think I may need to kill my own theory about mother being a type of smokey...

if she was a smokey, then wouldn't she NOT have a body to be laid to rest? (Ala Adam and Eve)

Thoughts?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #1003
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES View Post

I do think someone is going to come out of nowhere to save the day in the finale. I think it will be Ben or perhaps Rose and Bernard. But I do think some unlikely hero will step in at the last moment and help defeat MiB. Just a hunch.
If Rose and Bernard are in another scene of consequence on the island, this show has probably chosen a bad time to jump the shark.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #1004
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dunno if he qualifies as "unlikely," but Desmond has been buried inside a well for a few weeks, and I think he'll be the one who shows up to save the day.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #1005
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I dunno if he qualifies as "unlikely," but Desmond has been buried inside a well for a few weeks, and I think he'll be the one who shows up to save the day.
without question, Desmond will be a huge player in the end...

I hope he dies. (Only because I don't want a nice happy feeling at the end because everyone left get's their happy story.)

Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #1006
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
If Rose and Bernard are in another scene of consequence on the island, this show has probably chosen a bad time to jump the shark.
They have brought Rose and Bernard back for premiers and finales before, and I hope they do again. It stands to reason that they were brought back to 2007 when the others were (if only because they wouldn't just kill them with a bomb in 1977...)

They're probably doing the same thing they were doing before. Besides, someone has to be taking care of Vincent. I seem to recall an interview they did some time back where they said that Vincent would survive until the end.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #1007
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
They're probably doing the same thing they were doing before. Besides, someone has to be taking care of Vincent. I seem to recall an interview they did some time back where they said that Vincent would survive until the end.
I'm afraid it would feel too much like, "Hey, we're still around"...at this point, its just unnecessary. And if it IS necessary to the story...then its shark jumping.

I hope they didn't add the extra 30min to "the end" because a ton of characters we don't still care about are going to make cameos.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #1008
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

But... <tiny voice> I like to see Rose and Bernard </tiny voice>
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #1009
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
But... <tiny voice> I like to see Rose and Bernard </tiny voice>
there...

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...nd+be&gs_rfai=

Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #1010
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Just for that...I hope Rose is the new Jacob!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #1011
sike
The Preacha

a VERY cool little Michael Emerson in an interview here: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwra...gDq8cgC0s2PxaM

Felt that some of it was too spoilerish to post...but this was interesting...

Interviewer: A lot of fans have wondered what the actual purpose for the flash-sideways is -- will it eventually be explained?
Michael: Yes, but they’re not going to spoon feed it to you. For me, the ending of the series required some analysis. It’s not given to you on a dish, neatly organized with a fancy bow put on the end of it. What it does have is a great soulfulness and the ending is human scale.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #1012
sike
The Preacha

the 2 ABC promo vids for this week's episode: http://lostspoilers-odi.blogspot.com

Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #1013
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
I dont think that would qualify as jumping the shark. It would answer a question AND solve a problem. I don't think it'll happen- but I dont think its an insane idea.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #1014
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So, they released the official podcast for Across the Sea

In it they say that if you were happy with the cork metaphor, maybe you didn't really need Across the Sea (like me.)

Let's revisit it now, shall we?

Quote:
JACOB: [picks up the bottle of wine] Think of this wine as what you keep calling hell. There's many other names for it too: malevolence, evil, darkness. And here it is, swirling around in the bottle, unable to get out because if it did, it would spread. The cork [raises cork] is this island and it's the only thing keeping the darkness where it belongs.
That's exactly what I wanted some background on in Across the....Grrrr. Anyway.

But they do say that the "heart of the island" is important for the finale. So we can take that much from it at least. For me, I'm still rolling with the cork metaphor as the season six thesis going forward. Those four sentences explained more about season six than Across the Sea did... But I digress.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #1015
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #1016
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Simmons' lateset podcast is an hour-long talk with Cuse if anyone's interested.

Link

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #1017
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
This brings up an interesting point... where are they? Were they the ones trying to blow up the airplane? And if so how did they get past the guards?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #1018
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I rather bought Flocke's theory on moving the fences and placing the guards there as being a ruse by Widmore.

It will be pretty funny if that turned out to be that trio....maybe they were standing over in the bushes watching that go down (Locke killing the guards.)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #1019
XERXES
Diamond Member

Is tomorrow night's episode any-specific-character centric?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #1020
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I doubt it. They seemed to be bringing everyone together in the flash sideways (the last time we saw them, way back when) and I would imagine that will continue.

If this is a typical pre-season finale LOST episode, it will be bringing people together and positioning them carefully for whatever climax to which they are building.

Besides...everyone has had a centric, right?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #1021
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

A week from today we will be discussing the end.

That seems very odd to me.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #1022
XERXES
Diamond Member

I know. This thread has an expiration date. How sad.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #1023
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

no, we'll be bitching about the ending for years to come. Then we'll be discussing the inevitable LOST movie (after all, Fox is retiring from TV acting, not movies...)
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #1024
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol "LOST movie"

This is why I think the island will somehow sink or get destroyed. They strike me as the kind of people who want to burn and destroy their entire fictional space so no one can ever even suggest something like that.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #1025
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

hey you can have a LOST movie with a new island.

you don't think we're gonna have an entire LOST universe with fan-fiction and debates over what is "canon"?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #1026
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hey you can have a LOST movie with a new island.

you don't think we're gonna have an entire LOST universe with fan-fiction and debates over what is "canon"?
Cuse told Simmons that he had no doubt that the Lost universe would be put to some use after the show was over, but that he and Lindeloff had zero interest in a movie or anything else. He made it very clear that they've told their story and are done, and they really left nothing to tell with the finale.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #1027
XERXES
Diamond Member

I like it. "LOST: the movie" Follow DriveShaft's rise to stardom and finally understand who was shooting at the time traveling canoe paddlers!!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #1028
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I like it. "LOST: the movie" Follow DriveShaft's rise to stardom and finally understand who was shooting at the time traveling canoe paddlers!!
The good news is that the canoe shooting has GOT to be coming up tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #1029
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The good news is that the canoe shooting has GOT to be coming up tomorrow or Sunday.
nope...they said they werent going to address it.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #1030
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Cuse and Lindelof talk about the episode.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...across-the-sea

Some notes - they do say there will be some additional answers (including to some questions raised last night - i'm sure there will be), they don't plan on addressing the outrigger shooting, and they're pretty much douches.
here is the interview where they say that they won't be addressing the canoe/outrigger.

they could be lying, of course.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #1031
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wow, I had not seen that.

That's just cruel, if true.

edit: And now I've read it...wow, that kind of pisses me off. That's the second time they've pissed me off in a week. Why are they souring our relationship right at the end?

In fact, it doesn't even make sense. If they're saying that they knew who was on the other side of that exchange... it doesn't make sense. It's not like it's going to happen sometime in the future after the finale, because things will be "settled", right? So if that's the case, they're saying it happened somewhere along the way, and they didn't show it? Someone got shot and they didn't show it? I don't think it makes any sense, unless it was a boat full of random others. Why don't they just say "we decided to continuity there."?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #1032
sike
The Preacha

couldn't care less about the outrigger issue

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #1033
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

the implication from the scene (and now knowing what we know about the ajira flight) is that it was alana and her people. But they're all dead now.

Or it could have been some of widmore's folks, who found the plane. Maybe they came over to get Jin, then on the way back, saw one of their canoes had been taken. Then one of them could have gotten shot, they address the scene, and it doesn't result in a main character dying (i still think the ultimate would have been sawyer in the outrigger getting shot by Juliet).
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #1034
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

If, well over a year ago, they were writing the 5th episode of season 5 (or whatever it was) and they were thinking "19 episodes from now (or whatever) there are going to be non A-level cast members shooting at these main cast members, and we may show the other side of this or we may not...

I'm sorry, I just doubt it...or if it's true, then I'm starting to think they're a little bit crazy. That thought process doesn't add up for me.

But whatever. If no one like Sawyer (agree, that would have been epic) got shot, then we move on without it because it's just not that important.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #1035
sike
The Preacha

with a 2.5 hr last episode...I'm wonder how many significant characters will bite it this week's show?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #1036
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think the flash sideways has totally mitigated any consternation I have over deaths on the island. I think they'll likely kill a few more (or nearly all) of them in the main time line, and we'll all be comforted that they'll live on anyway (kind of) in the sideways universe.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #1037
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I think the flash sideways has totally mitigated any consternation I have over deaths on the island. I think they'll likely kill a few more (or nearly all) of them in the main time line, and we'll all be comforted that they'll live on anyway (kind of) in the sideways universe.
I don't give a spoiled rat terd about the sideways timeline...

Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #1038
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't give a spoiled rat terd about the sideways timeline...
I love it when you quote Shakespeare.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #1039
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In fact, it doesn't even make sense. If they're saying that they knew who was on the other side of that exchange... it doesn't make sense. It's not like it's going to happen sometime in the future after the finale, because things will be "settled", right? So if that's the case, they're saying it happened somewhere along the way, and they didn't show it? Someone got shot and they didn't show it? I don't think it makes any sense, unless it was a boat full of random others. Why don't they just say "we decided to continuity there."?
It makes a lot of sense IMO. Their go-to move for the first 5 or so seasons of this show was piling mystery on top of mystery, question on top of question to keep the tension up and the audience interested. They've abandoned most of those mysteries because "the answer" (whatever it may be, hypothetically) is generally 1/10th as interesting as the mystery itself.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #1040
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Longhorndub = Carlton cuse

they abandoned the mysteries when they finally figured out what the answer was going to be. Doesn't make the first 5 seasons any less enjoyable, but it is annoying as hell.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-17-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote