Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #1081
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

they are the only clutch team that plays in the AAC.

go stars

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #1082
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

have you ever commited two and a half hours of your life to watch every minute of a game, even relegating the mavs to the little box in the picture in picture because you're so pumped about what the stars are doing, only to have ron wilson call a timeout 4 minutes into overtime?

and have you ever figured, heck, you have 60 seconds to flip around, maybe catch a minute of the spurs-suns and still be back in time for the faceoff?

and have you ever had that 60 seconds accidentally turns into 90, and you flip back to see the stars skating to the room and the place going nuts and you realize that although your team has just taken a commanding 3-0 lead in the series with an overtime victory, you're really pissed at your own idiocy?

ya, me too.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #1083
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

pEANUT!!!

It's OT man....lol that sucks, but hey it could be worse. I trust you've seen the replays.

I'm done with OT for this series. That's 2 of 3 now. Can't handle much more of that S. I wonder if we'll see the Sharks last stand tonight. Lost in all of this, is that the Sharks are such a talented team, and I can't believe they have been unable to score more than 2 goals on Turco. They should've had about 6 last night....and we should've had about 8 by my count.

Anyway...I still fear the Sharks, if you want to know.

But I don't think they can win 4 straight, not a chance. I think they're pretty frustrated right now.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #1084
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #1085
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wow, do you know what sucks (for some of you guys, not me) ?

After this round, every game is only on Versus or NBC

That is.... if we can get past the sharks.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #1086
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't true hockey fans be happy that there is still a network around willing to broadcast hockey games nationally?

I'm sure it's frustrating if you don't have Versus, but still.

BTW, what providers around here don't have Versus?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #1087
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Shouldn't true hockey fans be happy that there is still a network around willing to broadcast hockey games nationally?

I'm sure it's frustrating if you don't have Versus, but still.

BTW, what providers around here don't have Versus?
I'm not sure thig. FIOS has it, Directv has it, Time Warner has it, and Dish has it now so...

Seems like there have been people bitching around here about not having Versus, so unless you just don't have any kind of cable (what's up u2, where are you this morning?) I don't know what the deal is.

I know ames will be happy up in Boston, because she will be able to watch all the WCF.

I'm just lamenting the fact that I don't have Versus HD with Verizon, but oh well. My parents do if I really want it in HD.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #1088
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy for all of our hockey fans.

At least something is going right.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #1089
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Ha...that's awesome.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #1090
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
pEANUT!!!

It's OT man....lol that sucks, but hey it could be worse. I trust you've seen the replays.
ya, but it was just for a few seconds. DAMNIT!!!!

center ice had the sharks (very homerific) broadcast and they showed one very quick replay. i was stuck on espn news for 20 minutes looking for some highlights.

Last edited by mnmpeanut; 04-30-2008 at 09:53 AM.
mnmpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #1091
mnmpeanut

my biggest fear is that versus will do in the conference finals what they're doing tonite - joined in progress. flyers / canadians at 7 (eastern) - stars / sharks whenever it gets done. luckily tonite's game is on center ice, but i may not be so lucky next week. there will only be, at most, two games a night. if they can't work the schedule around that, then they don't deserve a national tv deal, even on versus.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #1092
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

The sharks will come out on all cylinders tonight.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #1093
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
The sharks will come out on all cylinders tonight.
I think so too. They are too talented. Way too talented to lose 4 games in a row to the Dallas Stars and their rookie defencemen

The good news is, if the Stars can keep it within 1, like they have the last few games, they're so confident in the third period now.

It's a battle of the legs tonight. Back to back, after a playoff over time. They're lucky Norstrum ended it for them early last night, or they'd really be hurting today (and the league would look really stupid for scheduling it this way).
Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #1094
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #1095
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

If you people were paying proper attention, you'd be ripping me.

I said this would be a "score first, win the game" series.

Ummm...

Game 1: Sharks go up 1-0
Game 2: Sharks go up 1-0
Game 3: Sharks go up 1-0

I may have been wrong about that. Maybe.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #1096
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang Flac, you're dumb.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #1097
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Stoopid flaco.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #1098
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is funny

All 5 Sharks are staring at Ribeiro in the corner with the puck (looks like Chris Paul doesn't it?). About 1 second later he sends the puck out to Norstrum, who had no one near him, and he send the game winner in the net
Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #1099
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Stu Barnes is questionable for tonight's game after Cheechoo's big hit on him last night. I don't know if he has any concussion symptoms...Tipp would never tell us if he did.

Hmm...That kind of hurts. Stu is party of that Modano line that has been doing such a great job on the Thornton line.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #1100
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you stay for OT, u2?

I want a full write up from you. and have your daughter do one too
I did stay. How could anyone leave? I was pretty anxious the entire 2nd period although not really nervous until OT. Thankfully that was quickly put to rest. I am now ready to say that there is not a single bad seat in AAC that I have found for Hockey. And I've been in my fair share of different sections.

Anyway, back to Hockey. Morrow is awesome. Richards is a luxury. Norstrum? I never thought he'd be the holder of the hammer in this one.

And Sergei? Keep on smoking dude because it might be a nasty habit but it sure doesn't keep you from being lethal to our opponents.

I am finally out of my doldrums and geeked about tonight. Geeked.

Also, Flaco..... my son will want to slap you for calling him my daughter.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #1101
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You should've brought your son by 314. I would've bought a beer for him. THEN we'd be even, right?

There really isn't a bad seat in that place, I'll agree.

Did you hear what Bob said today, that Zubie's post game celebrations include some place quiet, a beer and a pack of cigarettes?

That guy is out of this world, and he leads the team in ice time. I don't get it.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #1102
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, do you know what sucks (for some of you guys, not me) ?

After this round, every game is only on Versus or NBC

That is.... if we can get past the sharks.
Rocks for me. I can only watch those games down here in the ATX.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #1103
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

we are bringing the brooms tonight my friends. Flaco I know it pained you but in a good way when norstrom ended it last night, seeing as how he is your archnemisis. Brendan morrow is the man! I think when we get on the kill early in games it settles us down and kinda gets us on track. I do not fear the redwings at this point even though flaco fears them more than we will ever fathom.
This team has the feel of something special at this point. No matter what happens they don't seem to get rattled or implode. Also the scoring by comittee thing with everyone scoring big ones not just the stars.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #1104
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

My TV listing indicates the game is also on FSN this evening. I will be watching instead of studying for my final tomorrow morning. Gotta have priorities, right?

As I always say: The things that make me happy > the things that make me money.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #1105
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah, FSN-SW HD tonight.

I'm off to the AAC.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #1106
Windmill360
Diamond Member

damn zubov again.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #1107
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

This is the Marty Turco show.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #1108
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Cmon, Flaco.... scream louder!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #1109
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Damn... the stars wanted the sweep but the sharks just wouldn't have it because flaco wouldn't scream loud enough.

They looked tired out there.

Last edited by Windmill360; 04-30-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #1110
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Damn. At least they have 3 more chances to close this thing out.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #1111
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Bleh. That's a bummer. Three more chances though. That was the first I've seen them come out in the third NOT with the killer mindset.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #1112
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Game 1: Sharks go up 1-0
Game 2: Sharks go up 1-0
Game 3: Sharks go up 1-0
Game 4: Stars go up 1-0

Soooo, let the Sharks score first next game?
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #1113
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Alright well...there are a few things that were pretty evident. I don't know what they said on the broadcast but I thought that:

1. Once again, the refs kind of...eh...yeah
2. They are deferring to Zubov too much. Just because he's back doesn't mean the power play should go through him at the point for 2 solid minutes. Ribeiro, Richards, Robidas and Modano have to facilitate it as much as they were before Zubov was back. That's a coaching thing. That short handed goal was a killer.
3. Niskanen was terrible. There's no other way to say it.
4. Not having Stu was pretty important
5. Toby Petersen on the PK, not once, but twice in the 3rd period. That is a give up, Tipp. I don't care how tired you think your guys are.

Mostly, they just looked gassed to me.

Give San Jose credit. They defended extremely well. If they defend like that for a few more games, the Stars will be in a world of hurt.

Must be nice to be saintly like the Sharks and never commit a penalty.

Better get them on Friday, bc if you don't it puts a massive amount of pressure on you at home in game 6.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #1114
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Great Thread!!!

I wish we could find a Stars specific message board...but until then...

Game 3 I was in an airport (Atl) watching the game on my Laptop, live via Yahoo Sports...they had the Dallas Broadcast team, so it made my time waiting for my flight go by pretty quick.

Game 4, I was at home watching in HD and a bit bummed when it was over...but I honestly didn't expect a sweep.

Now the Stars need to close this out...either in Game 5 or game 6!!! Or Risk a Maverick meltdown!!!

On other news...I see you guys posted that the WCF and Finals are only on VS and NBC...that actually sucks. VS through verizon is NOT in HD. Actually making plans this summer to switch over to Direct TV because of their HD Package, as it relates to SPORTS!!!

There is nothing better than the NHL in HD, especially on a big flat screen!!!

Looking forward to Game 5!!! I'll be sure to check back on this thread as the game and the series gets wrapped up.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #1115
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You can go here: www.stars-board.com as I do sometimes. Though, if possible, they are even more cynical and clique-ish than this place is, and will judge you even more harshly.

They are not the friendliest of people..bullies really...I am slowly trying to work my way into their good graces and odd sense of humor. Not sure why.

And www.dallasstars.com has an official board, and it is intolerably stupid. If you like threads about firing Tippet and Turco, then that's a good place to go. Most posts consist of 3 or 4 words, and usually some combination of "ur" and "omg" or "2gthr" or some such.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #1116
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

omg, ur 2gthr?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #1117
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Flaco,

Unfortunately the link you put for www.stars-board.com is not sending me to any type of message board, rather it sends me to some verizon search site and tells me that the link does not exist.

From my side, I am a die-hard Dallas Pro Sports fan. Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, Rangers, Burn...I'm a fan of all these teams. I'm critical of my teams when they are doing horrible and I am big time bandwagon when my team is doing great...at the end of the day, I cheer for all my Dallas teams win or lose, I wear my Dallas Colors.

Fortunately, this year, we all have the Stars to keep our minds off of the mess that we have witnessed out of the Mavs...not to mention, that Stars can keep our minds off of that group over in Arlington...

Anyway...time for me to run out...rest up and get ready for tomorrow nights Game 5!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #1118
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

www.starsboard.com
Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #1119
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Sorry, yes that's right. Thank you Dirka.

I always get the dallas-mavs.com and starsboard confused with the "-" in the middle.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #1120
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Of course, he could have just googled it. Like I did.