Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #81
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Still cracks me up how wrong the Barnes doubters have been on the things he can and can't do. The guy plays like a seasoned veteran with great composure considering how terrible the Mavs are.

November numbers: 21.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg on 50% fg and 35% on threes.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #82
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Barnes has certainly turned it around after a slow start. Now he’s hitting clutch game-winners?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #83
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Another MFFL is born....

YES!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #84
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Went back and rewatched the second half

DSJ took over the third quarter

Ignoring the game winner, Barnes had some clutch jumpers late in the 4th

Wild game, and one the mavs NEEDED to sustain their efforts, esp after the loss in OT

Cool to see Noel in the middle of the celebration after Barnes nailed that shot

Maybe it wasnt intentional, but I thought it was smart that DSJ bounced pass into Barnes. Better for him to catch lower than catch high/shoot high.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #85
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Another MFFL is born....

When Jamychal slammed the put back dunk, that dad was going crazy. He even caught the ball and was holding it over his head losing his mind....I now wonder if his son has switched blues and is a Mavs fan now.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #86
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Still cracks me up how wrong the Barnes doubters have been on the things he can and can't do. The guy plays like a seasoned veteran with great composure considering how terrible the Mavs are.

November numbers: 21.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg on 50% fg and 35% on threes.
LMAO, it's utterly hilarious that you think you were right, while Barnes unequivocally proved me right. He is literally the same player he was last year, the worst first option in the league, by far, I add. 19 on 54%TS last year, 19 on 54%TS this year, can't get to the line, can't pass, can't hit the three consistently, can't create. What world are you living in, to think that you were actually right? I'm shocked that you are still at this, while Barnes is literally the worst first option in the league, who doesn't have any chance, whatsoever, to ever become a star, or even a top 20 player in the league. Did you see our record last year? This year? You are absolutely delusional.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #87
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
LMAO, it's utterly hilarious that you think you were right, while Barnes unequivocally proved me right. He is literally the same player he was last year, the worst first option in the league, by far, I add. 19 on 54%TS last year, 19 on 54%TS this year, can't get to the line, can't pass, can't hit the three consistently, can't create. What world are you living in, to think that you were actually right? I'm shocked that you are still at this, while Barnes is literally the worst first option in the league, who doesn't have any chance, whatsoever, to ever become a star, or even a top 20 player in the league. Did you see our record last year? This year? You are absolutely delusional.
Honestly, you're not even worth responding to. Just add me to your ignore list if you're going to get so butt hurt over something in which I wasn't even referencing you in. Defensive much? Wow.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #88
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

I mean he is better at getting to the line and his rebounding has improved. Not sure how you can deny that. Also not sure why we're comparing his TS% after 19 games to a full season, especially after he got off to a slow start
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #89
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragism View Post
I mean he is better at getting to the line and his rebounding has improved. Not sure how you can deny that. Also not sure why we're comparing his TS% after 19 games to a full season, especially after he got off to a slow start
There is no reasoning with BM on this issue. He is on a tirade in which anything positive you mention Barnes with is met with artillery fire. I've tried mentioning things like you just said, but it doesn't really matter. He doesn't like Barnes, and I move on because it gets nowhere.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #90
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

59%TS in November after his rough start. He's getting to the FT line and rebounding better. 5fta per game on the season and last 2 weeks he's almost to 6 a game. Have to wait and see what he does at least until the ASB for sample size but just the eye test when watching games is that he's better. He goes faster off the dribble, he's more decisive on how he wants to attack depending on who is guarding him.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #91
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I don't hate Barnes, I hate overrating. Barnes will never be close to a franchise player, and has more chance of never making the All-Star team than he does at making it. He is not a bad player, mind you, but doesn't have a single elite tool or ability at the NBA level. I do hate these pointless wins, and I did hate that lucky shot though. I am passionate about the team's future, and it feels terrible that we are going to waste a great chance. I like DSJ very much, even though he is not really good yet, he has a high ceiling, so I would say last season turned out okay. But this year's draft, we could finally get that truly franchise-turning piece, and we will likely f**k it up again with these pointless wins. I'm sorry, but I can't be happy about that. We need a franchise player, and although I'm very high on DSJ, I'm not sure he is ever going to become that player.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #92
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
59%TS in November after his rough start. He's getting to the FT line and rebounding better. 5fta per game on the season and last 2 weeks he's almost to 6 a game. Have to wait and see what he does at least until the ASB for sample size but just the eye test when watching games is that he's better. He goes faster off the dribble, he's more decisive on how he wants to attack depending on who is guarding him.
Still no handles, consistent three point shot, or passing (obviously talking about elite level). A perimeter player without at least one of these skills is very limited.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #93
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I don't hate Barnes, I hate overrating. Barnes will never be close to a franchise player, and has more chance of never making the All-Star team than he does at making it. He is not a bad player, mind you, but doesn't have a single elite tool or ability at the NBA level.
But who is calling Harrison Barnes a franchise player or an All-Star? The only thing anyone is saying about him is that he has improved in the areas where he wanted to improve -- rebounding and getting to the line (plus he's been better in the clutch, which is a bonus)... That's it.

You're having an argument that nobody else is having.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-24-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #94
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

My take on Barnes is that he hasn't quite found his niche on this team yet but is beginning to. He seems to want to be the ultimate goto guy in the clutch yet he tends to defer leadership a lot.
I'm wondering if all of the hype and attention surrounding DSJ at the beginning caused Barnes to hold back a little on taking on more of a leadership role but now he is beginning to define his role on the team and chemistry with DSJ so things are starting to go positive for him and the team as a whole.

Maybe I'm reaching but I tend to see Barnes coming from the same character mold as Dirk and Ro Blackman in terms of role, BBIQ, team first mentality, coachability, work ethic, competiveness and overall character.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-24-2017 at 12:47 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #95
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
But who is calling Harrison Barnes a franchise player or an All-Star? The only thing anyone is saying about him is that he has improved in the areas where he wanted to improve -- rebounding and getting to the line (plus he's been better in the clutch, which is a bonus)... That's it.

You're having an argument that nobody else is having.
Devinharriswillstart said it numerous times. That he is our franchise player, and he's gonna become a star. Anyway, maybe i overreacted, but it sure felt he was directing that message at me, I think I had the previous post even, maybe not. Anyway, it's way too early to say Barnes has improved anything. But yeah, then if that's too early - which it is -, maybe it's also too early to say he is the same player. Let me change that statement a little. To me it looks he hasn't improved much, and has the same limitations he had last year. We'll see as the season progresses.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #96
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair about his play-making ability, he's not a wing player to me. He still operates in that mid post most of the time. He will occasionally take a big off the dribble from the perimeter or shoot over a small but he's operating from the post. Unless a double team comes he's not looking to create for anyone and I highly doubt the team wants him to. Any shot Barnes gets in a 1 on 1 situation is better than someone else in the same situation on this team as it is presently constructed and with DSJ being a rookie. So unless he draws the defense in with an extra defender he's not going to pass it off. And when he does, ask DSJ how many dimes he gets vs passes made with the brick layers we have on this team. He's never going to be a point forward but I just think he should be compared to someone like LMA before the elite wings. He won't pull down LMA's rebounds from his prime but he could score more/more efficiently if he gets better at 3's.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #97
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

DHWS said that he looks like a seasoned vet. Which is correct. I don't think there is much reason to worry that he is going to blow the Mavs chances at a high pick by banking in 3's with less than a second left. If he keeps ripping 25+pt games out, good for him and good for us. If he somehow becomes a guy who can will us to wins, so be it. I don't think anyone believes that is going to happen given the rest of our roster.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #98
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Um...I don't recall calling Barnes our franchise player since I even entertained trading him at the beginning of the season calling Smith Jr that guy.

But such terms as "star player" and "franchise guy" are muddied anyway because of the team being so bad. Clearly the Mavs thought Barnes had franchise potential or they wouldn't have paid him a max contract. But everyone is tradable except Smith at this point.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #99
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

I agree with this, and I would be extremely happy if we'd trade away some of our veterans trying to maximize our chances for a high draft pick this year. Unfortunately we all know this is not going to happen with Dirk on the team, and probably even RC would not be on board with it.