Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Where is your loyalty?
Dirk 42 30.00%
Mavs 63 45.00%
I'm a pansy, I can't decide, and I like them both. 35 25.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #81
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
You and one other person are the ones that stated "Dirk is the team" soo is it against the rules??

Without Dirk this team might not in 50 and might not get too far. But I would give them .500 record and a chance for one of the last spots
Dude, you took the "Dirk is the Mavs" way too literally. What I meant is when you think of the Mavs you think of Dirk Nowitzki. As far as players go, he's the only constant between now and 2000 when success really started for the Mavs.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #82
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I was living in Detroit when I got into basketball, so naturally I was a fan of the Bad Boys while they were winning rings. Then the Jordan era happened and I lost all interest in basketball. I moved to Dallas during the 90s, so I didn't have a whole lot of reason to root for the Mavs back then...

Fast forward about a decade and I'm living in Austin - the Spurs are winning rings and everyone who lives there is a Spurs fan. One day I'm drinking beers with a buddy and he turns on a basketball game - Spurs vs Mavs. I hadn't cared about basketball in years, but during that game I was blown away by the electrifying play of Dirk & Nash (they combined for 60 points or something ridiculous like that).

I became a Mavs fan that day, mostly because of Dirk. To me, being a Mavs fan and being a Dirk fan are one in the same.

Like twistaeffect2004 said before, Dirk IS the Mavs...
This closely mirrors my fandom as well. I loved bird/magic..loved basketball in fact. But jordan/barkley/snack made me stop watching until cubes bought the team. I knew something interesting would happen ( I didn't even know who nash/dirkster was). Since then I've had an unadulterated dirkster man-crush. The only thing better than the dirkster winning a championship would have been for stevie/fin/dirkster to have won one. That stevie move was a cluster-**** of epic porportions.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #83
derrob

derrob is on a distinguished road

i always was a mavs and phoenix fan. i became a mav fan because of dirk. but in phoenix there was marion and i am a huge shawn fan. but now my loyalty belongs to the mavs, even when dirk or shawn are no longer mavs players. by the way, i hate to see brandon bass play for orlando.
derrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #84
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Question for the Dirkophiles. Especially those who got into the Mavs around the onset of the Dirk/Fin/Nash era:

Why did your allegiance grow to Dirk and not Nash? They came onboard and arrived so to speak at around the same time.. so what happened when Nash left? Did Phoenix become your #2 team? Did you become a player-fan then?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #85
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Question for the Dirkophiles. Especially those who got into the Mavs around the onset of the Dirk/Fin/Nash era:

Why did your allegiance grow to Dirk and not Nash? They came onboard and arrived so to speak at around the same time.. so what happened when Nash left? Did Phoenix become your #2 team? Did you become a player-fan then?

I'm on the flip side...I remained loyal to the Mavs, again going back to the early days.

When Nash bolted, he became the enemy and I grew to dislike him and the Suns. I still don't care to watch him play. Thanks for the good times in Big "D", but once he bolted...I was done with him...he's no longer a Mavs.

Then again, he's never had the ability to play Defense, so the opportunity to win a title with Nash didn't exist...thus the Mavs got better without him!!!

MFFL stands for Mavs Fan For Life...not Dirk Fan For Life...I appreciate the players we have when we have them, but it's all about the Mavs team FIRST!!!

Think of it this way...when your married, that's your spouse and you in it for better or for worse...if you get divorced, do you keep cheering for the ex-spouse?

You leave the team I am a fan of, then you lose me as a fan as well...that's the way I roll.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #86
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I can't remember if I made a post about this (lol old age setting in early) but I meant to. I think I almost liked Nash more than Dirk when I first started watching... but I think it was the way that Nash left the team (and Dirk especially) for more money that made me dislike him so much. If Dirk leaves by his own decision then I will be a LOT more pissed at him than if Cuban trades him or if he's asked to leave. If he is traded, I'll root the heck out of him and hope he wins the title once the Mavs are eliminated... if he leaves on his own, I'll have a much harder time rooting for him.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #87
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Good question. I like 'em both quite a bit. If they had both left...?? maybe...I don't know. But it's been 10 years with the dirkster, only a few with little stevie. I don't dislike little stevie at all. I always felt that some double dealing was going on with nellie on this one. That he gave cubes advice that told him to let steve go and then turned around and bitched about it.

Stevie did look like death warmed over the year that he left and he didn't appear nearly as durable as he has been. Bad call, that's all.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-08-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #88
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
That is such a ridicules statement. They would be more on par with Memphis. And they would be in the hunt for the last playoff spot.

Kidd
Jet
Butler
Marion
Haywood/Damp

is not that bad..and its def. wayy better than the Wizards
Not at all.. The team would be bad without Dirk.. Perhaps they could muster 30 wins. They simply couldn't score enough to be be nearly competitive enough to sniff the playoffs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #89
dude1394
Guru

Yea..who would get doubled?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #90
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs - 83
Blazers - 77
Dirk - 40

Dirk = Mavs

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-09-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #91
RolandoP

RolandoP will become famous soon enoughRolandoP will become famous soon enough

I never watched a NBA game prior to Dirk's arrival in Mavsland. 'nuff said.
RolandoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #92
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

I live in Montana and just pretty much had to pick a team when I was 8 or so. I actually became a Mavs fan because of Kidd (the first time around) when the 3 Js were the cool thing and then stuck with them through the lean years. At this point though, I'd not only root for Dirk over the Mavs, I'd actually root against them if he got traded. Like say he got traded for Kobe or something, how fucking disgusting would it be if all the media types that think Kobe's so much better got validated by Kobe winning a title in Dallas? Honestly, whichever team Dirk's playing for is probably the only real loyalty I have any more in all of professional sports.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if Cuban does the right thing and lets him retire as a Mav in 6 or 7 years, I'll still be a huge Mavericks fan, but my loyalty's definitely Dirk first.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #93
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

Quote:

To be fair, I loved Dirk and Nash equally when they were both in Dallas and I obv loved Finley too. As long as one of them was still in Dallas, it was all about the team.

But after that Finals year where literally there was like NO ONE on the team who'd been there more than a couple years except Dirk who'd been around forever, it just kinda flipped to where he was the one that I cared about. Especially when he single-handedly CARRIED them through the most amazing playoff run I've ever seen. Just thinking about Game 7 against the Spurs for a few seconds sends chills down my spine. Not to mention the WCF. I mean, who scores 50 in a conference finals game? No one.

And the fact that people still call Dirk a choker in the national media makes me so angry that I'd let my favorite team burn to the ground if it would prove those fucking assholes wrong once and for all. I think I'd probably cry with joy seeing Dirk win a ring now, in or out of Dallas.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #94
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandoP View Post
I never watched a NBA game prior to Dirk's arrival in Mavsland. 'nuff said.
'nuff said indeed. Welcome aboard.

Tags
f' former sonics fans, false dialectic, thisthread f'ing blows