Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #81
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

think of me tomorrow night, if they're losing.

I'll be sitting in 314 as usual, cursing, yelling, mothers covering their kids ears in front of me like always....
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #82
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I feel marginally better. Just realized how few SOs we've had this year. Hope you had fun, Flacolaco.

EDIT: Who misses Skoula? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited by ames7; 12-03-2006 at 12:07 AM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #83
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the news that Modano is engaged to Willa Ford new news ?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #84
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Is the news that Modano is engaged to Willa Ford new news ?
I think a couple months ago, it was that he was "going to" proposes. Now they both confirmed it. So if you want to call that news...

(I will say...nice ring, from the pics I've seen.)
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #85
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So let's run down the Stars injuries:

1. (Captain) Morrow
2. Miettinen
3. Daley
4. Modry
5. Ott
6. maybe Sydor, now after tonights game

This team is hurting bad. It's not their fault anymore I've decided. All they can do it pick up points here and there until they get healthy again. You cannot miss 5 or 6 QUALITY guys and expect to win a lot of hockey games.

They crowd was good tonight, and lively. I was pleased. The Stars looked like crap, but I don't think it's their fualt. The rookies tonight, Erickson, Grossman, Polak, and Tjarnquist made rookie mistake after rookie mistake. And they almost cost them the game.

I live and die with this team, but I need to try to back off of that, until they get healthy. When healthy, this team is a top 5 team in the league.

I'll also be seeing San Jose on Monday, and Edmonton on Friday. Long week of hockey ahead!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:37 AM   #86
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

update

Sydor has an unspecified arm injury after a collision with Turco.

gay
Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #87
ames7
Diamond Member

Man that sucks. Our once deep D is slowly fading away. Daley has post-concussion syndrome, I feel we should go ahead & write him off for a while. I was following the Cards this summer & when Jim Edmonds had it, he said street signs blurred when he drove & sometimes he couldn't even stand up b/c of the dizziness. I don't know if Daley is experiencing anything like that, but damn that crap is scary. I'd rather him stay out longer & make sure he's okay.

I think a lot of things will get better when Morrow gets back. It's an attitude thing.

EDIT: Injury update via FWST:
Miettinen (lower body): might play Monday
Morrow (groin): retweaked the groin (again), doubtful Monday
Daley (concussion): extremely doubtful Monday
Ott (ankle): out
Daley (arm): taken out the game for precautionary reasons, will be re-evaluated today.

Fantastic.

Last edited by ames7; 12-03-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #88
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So they didnt have anything on Modry?

I hope Antii is back on monday.

That's bad news about Morrow being doubtful, he said he wanted to play.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #89
ames7
Diamond Member

Nope, nothing on Modry. I didn't see it, did it look serious at all? Our D is banged up regardless, so I expect Grossman to stay up.

They returned Polak...wonder if Mietts is ready to go? It really sucks about Morrow...he made it through the entire practice, doing all the drills & contact & stuff & then tweaks it at the very end.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #90
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Nope, nothing on Modry. I didn't see it, did it look serious at all? Our D is banged up regardless, so I expect Grossman to stay up.

They returned Polak...wonder if Mietts is ready to go? It really sucks about Morrow...he made it through the entire practice, doing all the drills & contact & stuff & then tweaks it at the very end.
Let me tell you something about this Grossman idiot.....I don't like him. In case you couldn't figure that out already. He took 2 penalties last night, one of them was especailly meaningless and stupid. He made a couple of bonhead passes in his own zone, and I can promise you he will single handedly cost the Stars at least 1 goal a game if he plays like he was.

He's a big kid. A great big kid, and he did ok for a kid, but he is NOT ready yet. Let him stew for a while, maybe he'll be back and be like the #2 we all remember from before....
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 AM   #91
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

OMFG

the Ducks lost tonight.

they lost in regulation

to a bad Kings teams.

it must be some sort of holiday somewhere......

Last edited by Flacolaco; 12-04-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #92
ames7
Diamond Member

Well, it's not a concussion, thank God, but we've got our first Lindros Injury Siting of the season. From the game story:

"The Stars finished the game minus six injured regulars, including Modano, who exited for the locker room in the second period with an unspecified lower body injury and did not return.

Also out for Dallas were left wing Brenden Morrow (groin), forward Eric Lindros (bruised foot), defensemen Trevor Daley (concussion) and Darryl Sydor (arm) and right wing Antti Miettinen (lower body)."

Man. It's like a freaking miracle we won.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #93
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Just got back.

what a game. I can't take any more of these one goal games. They give me heart problems every time. Turco was genius tonight. He has to be going forward.

This team is broken right now. Modano did not come back. I watched him limp down the tunnel tonight in the 2nd, and I just didnt have anything else to say the rest of the game. I am completely astonished at how many big named players this team is missing.

This is the equivalent of missing Dirk, Harris, and Howard, with Terry day to day..... I mean, this is bad.

Phoenix on wednesday. Gotta find a way to score some goals on Cujo. Gotta find a way to get folks back in the line-up.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #94
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Injury updates from www.dallasnews.com (Heika)

Doesn't look good for tonight or Friday, but I am hopefuly by Saturday we can run a real team out there.

Modano - questionable today. probably friday.
Sydor - Probable today
Trevor Daley - probable today
Miettinen - Friday or Saturday
Morrow - Friday or Saturday
Lindros - Friday or Saturday

So we get 2 defensemen back tonight (probably) and maybe modano. That's good news, but I don't know who's going to score any goals for this team until next week when these people all get back in to the swing of things.

I hope Morrow doesn't tweak his groin again. They need his physicality in a bad way
Old 12-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #95
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

2 shutout wins in a row, with a team full of injured stars.

I must say I'm impressed with the way that Marty is carrying the team right now, and the power play finally came through last night to EXTEND a lead for once.

It was amazing. Of course, Phoenix is the cure for whatever ills you. The Stars have now shut them out 3 straight times. How pathetic is that?

Hopefully they get one or 2 more guys back on Friday, and get out this home stand 3-0, then get a win in Phx, before 2 more at home. All this home time is a really good time for them to get healthy.

Im hopeful, but the Ducks will not lose apparently, I think we have to be happy with 4th or 5th place.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #96
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well there's 3 hours of my life Ill never get back.

oh and to all the drivers in downtown Dallas tonight....thanks.

No Modano, Morrow, Lindros, Miettinen, Ott.

This is the equivalent of losing Dirk, Howard, and pick a rotation player.

The offense is not there. It's not coming back, until the skilled guys get healthy. I'm going to try and not be pissed off until the roster is back to resembling an NHl team, and not their farm team, the Iowa Stars.

grrrr.....
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #97
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Stars win 4-3 in overtime.

This was the shittiest win of the season.

the game winner came off of a lucky bounce off the back of the phx goaltenders' head.

Im totallt serious
Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #98
ames7
Diamond Member

You know, I totally don't even care. With Injury Bug From Hell, Version 2.6 still in take-no-prisoners mode, I'm just going to be happy they haven't completely collapsed. Just 4 more guys day-to-day right now...the calvary is coming.

Still no TV here... how did Connor look?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #99
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This Connor kid has looked ok. His first game he was pretty shaky when he had the puck, but last night he was pretty tenacious a couple of times down around the net. I think Tipp has to like what he sees. I don't really know what his numbers are with Iowa.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #100
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Reinforcements coming

The Stars' announcement Sunday that they had assigned center Joel Lundqvist and wing Chris Conner to their minor-league affiliate in Iowa is an indicator that the team's dire injury situation is improving.

The team expects Mike Modano (hip), Brenden Morrow (groin), Eric Lindros (foot) and Antti Miettinen (lower body) to return to practice today. With a solid, full practice, they could be cleared to play Tuesday against Columbus, although it isn't likely that all four will return.

Rookies Lundqvist and Conner performed capably as understudies. Lundqvist appeared in his first four NHL games and Conner played in his first two; neither had a point, but both played meaningful minutes.
I've heard this for 2 games now.....it better be true.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #101
ames7
Diamond Member

Reinforcements? Here. And? We still suck, apparently. >:[

Last edited by ames7; 12-12-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #102
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Here's my game review.

Marty Turco, Eric Lindros and John Klemm to be sent down to Iowa for Ellis, Lundquist and Grossman.

Honestly....Marty cost them the game tonight. The first two goals were entirely his fault.

and as an educated hockey fan (and hockey player) I HATE to say this about Marty. because 1 goal should not be enough to win a hockey game in this league. and it isnt. but one less on their side would've given the boys a lot more to play for the last 8 minutes or so. A tie game would've given the place some life.

hockey in general is in trouble. more on that later.....

Eric Lindros: you stupid spare. Two penalties....zero positive impact on the game. ZERO.

John Klemm..... THREE PENALTIES. poor decisions on the most important play in any hockey shift: The first pass out of the zone. (see Zubov)

Brenden Morrow looked great in his return. This is the only positive I see.

The Stars OUT SHOOT their opponent once again, and get nothing for it.

I think we need to accept that this team is an average team at best. 7th or 8th place finishers if they're lucky.

Sure it's December.....but this is a kneejerk town.

SHOW ME SOMETHING

ANYTHING

I beg you. These season tickets were expensive
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #103
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

after re-reading my post..... I don't think my frustration is apparent enough. So.....

F TURCO

F LINDORS

F KLEMM

F DAVE TIPPET

and F HITCHCOCK (miss you hitch )

F The AAC crowd tonight. Bunch of uneducated hicks yelling "SHOOOOT THE PUCK, OMG!!!"

you don't think they're trying to shoot the puck???? you don't think that's their only goal in life???
I quit life

Last edited by Flacolaco; 12-13-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #104
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Don't quit life. Your smokin' hot bride is enough to live for during dark times like these (at least that's what I tell myself).

I didn't F Tippet, but I did almost knock him down yesterday (he was too fast for me).
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #105
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This team has me so worried.

I give them the next 5 games, with a full line up of healthy Modanos and Morrows and etc, and then I will render my next judgement.

Oh...interesting stat.

in 11 of their last 18 games, the Stars have scored 1 goal or less.

thats.....really shocking.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #106
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Last year's playoff debacle (with the Stars suckage and the low seeds' success) has me in a different state of mind this season. I don't really care about the damn regular season anymore. I'll watch the games that I get here in SA, but I don't really fret over losing the occasional game or three. As long as we get in the playoffs, all bets are off- who the hell knows what's gonna happen anymore?

Last edited by untitled; 12-13-2006 at 07:09 PM.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #107
ames7
Diamond Member

Not that I get tv for it or anything, but interesting twist to tonight's game vs the Rangers. In case you didn't see it, they've IR-ed Modano, which . But they recalled Joel Lundqvist, the twin brother of Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist. Lundqvist v. Lundqvist. Good stuff.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #108
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah I noticed that too.

I like Lundqvuist. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some of Lindros' minutes. The kid works hard. Hope he puts one past his brother tonighT!!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #109
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Ticket is reporting that Mike only made it through 30 minutes of practice yesterday, and is doubtful for Wednesdays important game with the Quackers.

Im beginning to think he's never coming back.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 12-19-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #110
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

"The Quackers" - that's cute.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #111
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
"The Quackers" - that's cute.
I prefer "The Quack Attack," myself.

RE: Mo... I'm suprised it's taking this long. They made it sound like it was no big deal when he went down. But obviously they need to make sure he won't aggravate it a la Morrow.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #112
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
I prefer "The Quack Attack," myself.

RE: Mo... I'm suprised it's taking this long. They made it sound like it was no big deal when he went down. But obviously they need to make sure he won't aggravate it a la Morrow.
yeah he didnt make it with the team on the flight, and will miss tonights and tomorrows games.

I have a really bad feeling about these back to backs against these teams that are kicking our ass in the division.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #113
ames7
Diamond Member

I heard during a Ticker we were SIXTEEN points back of the Ducks. Damn. That's ridiculous...but we've only played Anaheim once & SJ twice, there are still plenty of 4-point games to make up some ground. It's really too bad we can't play the Kings every game.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #114
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Ducks are off to one of the best starts in league history, and are on pace to eclipse all kinds of records in points in a season. Getting a point for an overtime has been kind to them.

I have no hope of catching the Ducks. and Im not so sure a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs is going to be beneficial either. Best case scenario I think is the 6 seed. I want to play whoever comes out last in the division winner race. Someone like Calgary or Minnesota in that weak ass Northwest division.

If you ask me, at #6 in the conference right now today, the Stars are sitting pretty.

(im trying to put a positive spin on this pathetic excuse for a season so far)
Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #115
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Note:

The Stars are 10-1 versus divisional opponents this season.

bad news is, they've only played the ducks once, and the sharks twice.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #116
Smiles
Diamond Member

"The Quack Attack" I love it!

Didn't Mo get injured the last time he got engaged? Curs-ed women!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #117
ames7
Diamond Member

HUGE win tonight. Turks takes over the franchise shutout record, not that he had to do much. I thought Robi, Halpern & Hagman were exceptional tonight. Just 4 points back of SJ now...
Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #118
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Where in the hell has that team been?

The Stars come out with the complete effort last night, and the Sharks hit 2 posts. Marty gets an assist and the all time franchise record in shutouts.

I really don't understand why they can play like that against a very good team on the 2nd half of a back to back and get the shutout, and then totally wet the bed the next night.

This teams seems to be mentally fragile. Not really a good thing to be in the playoffs. They're about halfway through now, and they need to put some wins together. They must stay in the 4th 5th or 6th place.

It's almost a sure thing that the Sharks will be in 4th or 5th place at the end of the year. I feel the Stars can beat Sharks in a 7 game series if they end up sharing that 4/5 seeding. (They've shut them out twice in a row now). 6th place, and they get to to most likely play the winner of that calgary-minnesota-edmonton division. Unless of course the avalanche come out of nowhere the 2nd half of the season, and its #3. Colorado vs #6 Dallas. (watch, I bet that happens now that I've said it....)
Old 12-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #119
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

uh oh...

morrow out indefinitely after surgery to repair severed tendons in his wrist.

if it wasn't here already, the injury bug has officially arrived...
Old 12-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #120
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Im at a loss for words for this season.

This franchise expects to be at the top all year long. And there's a lot of hockey to go, but this one look like it's in the tubes.

Within a month, the Stars will be struggling down with the 8,9,10 seeds.

And it's such a waste. Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov are expiring. They are expiring fast. This thing realistically had this season, and next season to get it done, and it just doesnt look like it's going to happen. The 11-2 start was weird, and gave everyone a false sense of where this team was going. I opined in July and August that this team would struggle to score goals. I thought I was wrong for a time, but now it is abudantly clear that this is indeed the case.

So where do you look in times of need in the NHL? Usually, you look to your goalie. But it's not Martys job to do anymore. Hes playing great. He cant shutout the other team every night.

This team needs goals, and they need them in bunches.

Things are very desperate. The free agent market is dry too. No scorers to be found yet. It's too early, and everyone still thinks they have a chance.

The question is, come mid February, will the Stars be one of the teams trying to get a guy bc they think they have a shot? or will they be one of those teams that's selling, because they know they've got nothing this year?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 12-27-2006 at 02:42 PM.