Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-06-2002, 12:26 PM   #81
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

The article says its roughly a million in the first year and about the same in yrs. 2 and 3 if you consider tax, so alltogether it´d be roughly 3 millions dollars.

now that´s REALLY nothing if you´d ask me.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #82
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Even though I agree that Rashard as an individual is doing the right thing, it hurts Dallas chances of looking at options other than Lewis if he resigns with the Sonics.

It makes me wonder when he really is gonna make up his mind. First it was he was going to make a decision last week, then this week before Mason wedding, then now after the wedding and possibly until the end of this month.

I'm all for Rashard getting all he can get, but if the word from Sonics management is $60 million or nothing then why is he waiting.
You would think that they would have offered there best deal by now.

This long drawn out courting has not stung the Mavs yet. But when those perspective free-agents (Harpring, Clark, Russell) start signing with other teams then the Mavs will be left out in the cold.

Sorry for all the venting...just can't wait for footbal to start to get my mind off all this offseason BS.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:38 PM   #83
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

3 mil over 3 years, does that buy a chance for a ring and a better chance at MAX (and more games for mama to come watch)?

I'm not too worried about how it affects courtship of other players. Mavs will be better than they were even without any new additions, and the possibility of grabbing Lewis is worth the risk.

I've boycotted football for the last few years because they keep preempting the simpsons. Screw you NFL!

Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:50 PM   #84
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Even though I agree that Rashard as an individual is doing the right thing, it hurts Dallas chances of looking at options other than Lewis if he resigns with the Sonics.

It makes me wonder when he really is gonna make up his mind. First it was he was going to make a decision last week, then this week before Mason wedding, then now after the wedding and possibly until the end of this month.

I'm all for Rashard getting all he can get, but if the word from Sonics management is $60 million or nothing then why is he waiting.
You would think that they would have offered there best deal by now.

This long drawn out courting has not stung the Mavs yet. But when those perspective free-agents (Harpring, Clark, Russell) start signing with other teams then the Mavs will be left out in the cold.

Sorry for all the venting...just can't wait for footbal to start to get my mind off all this offseason BS.
>>

Usually Lurkin, I didnt understand the thread thaanks for clearing that up for me lol. Blond, I agree with u i cactually posted thi searlier if Keon isnt in teh Mavs needs wouldnt Keon be better than nothing which is what mavs are gonna get if they wait on Lewis? After all the Mavs did u would think Lewis would sign with us. I think waht Seatttle is doing to Lewis is disrespectful for him and he should leave that whole organization. One thing I odnt understnad is why Lewis putting up with seattle when he said he wants his mother to watch him play and by coming to Dallas that can be easily done. I respect Lewis for waiting for Seattle to make a better deal because it shows how loyal he is to fans of Seattle and there organization but he has to come to some kind of conclusion some time and quick.

There is taeltned small fowards out there like Nailon, Clark, Harpring, Russell etc. and havent been touched yet. Now if all of sudden these guys start to sign with teams which I think Harpring is very close then Mavs are gonna be in some trouble and especially if nAjera doesent come through and Wang. Its kind of fun tho knowning u have a chance to sign one of the best free agents in this free agency pool with no money but the exception but since Sonics arent budging off 60 mill now which im guessing because they want to sign a big name next season then Lewis should walk. I think its best for Seattle and Lewis to do so. Seattle obviously doesent feel Lewis is worth the money he is asking and Lewis doesetn like what is being shown. if u can get a chance to win a championship ring and later own maybe be the star of this team when Finley and Nash start to tear down I see the obvious choice here is Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:01 PM   #85
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, let me say that I do not have the contract values...this is speculation based on what I have read.

OK...Seattle's offer right now would not pay Rashard a significant amount more than our mid-level exception offer during the first three years. At this point(year 4), his Seattle salary would rise significantly. the Sonics want it this way because although the overall value of the contract today would be in the 60-70 million range, it would be backloaded and paid in tomorrows dollars which are valued to be less. For instance, a 15 million dollar salary today is worth much more than one in 4 years due to inflation, etc. Since the first 3 years of the Mavs and Seattles offers are not that much different, the focus shifts to the fourth year. If the Mavs get Lewis, they can use Bird rights to inflate his salary in year 4 essentially equaling if not passing the Seattle offer. The financial package being offered right now by both teams is not that far apart. The problem lies in the fourth year offer. The Mavs cannot tell Rashard that he will get a fat raise in year four because that violates the collective bargaining agreement (remember Minny and Joe Smith?). It is clearly implied by the media, the Mavs, etc, but they cannot guarantee it. This is why the talk of an insurance policy has cropped up. Lewis would be a fool to not purchase the policy to protect himself in year 4 in case of injury, etc. The policies are available, but the Mavs cannot pay for it. All in all, the Sonics can offer more <u>only</u> if they will front load their offer or guarantee it, in which case I would expect Lewis to resign with the Sonics. Otherwise, he becomes a very rich man with the Mavericks and really doesn't lose out. That fourth year is the wildcard here. If he comes and Cubes doesn't give him the fat raise, then no free agent would be willing to come here again. That will not happen. Cuban is a man of his word (right Stick Bradley?) and he will pay Lewis in year 4....he just cannot put it in writing.

And besides...mama wants to see him play.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #86
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

If he signs a 7 year contract with Seattle, the increase from year 3 to year 4 cannot be that much. The maximum raise each year is another part of the CBA so on a 6 or 7 year contract, it would go up the same percentage every year. OTOH, when his 3 year contract with Dallas ran out, Dallas could resign him for any amount up to the max, meaning Cuban could easily make up what he lost in the first 3 years.

The issue of course is security and trust. On security, if Lewis blows out his knee next year, he still has $60 million if he signed with Seattle. If he signed with Dallas, he only has his $15 million, and nobody, including Lewis could expect Cuban to then make up that $45 million loss (which is why there is some mention of an insurance policy). Then there's the trust issue--since Cuban can't make any legally binding promises, Lewis has to trust that in 3 years Cuban won't just let him walk with his $15 million or even pull a Seattle and lowball him on the new contract.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:14 PM   #87
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Doc, that's pretty clear.
looks like he can trust to get paid more or the same here over the next decade as he would in seattle (whether it's by state farm or the mavs). As far as staying close to home, and competing for a championship, what kind of assurance can he expect? On one hand we've got Bradley, who was told he'd stay, and has. On the other we've got Hardaway and Howard. and everybody that went to washington.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:26 PM   #88
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< On one hand we've got Bradley, who was told he'd stay, and has. On the other we've got Hardaway and Howard. and everybody that went to washington. >>

Which of those besides Bradley ever got a promise about not being traded? Howard *came* in a trade. He certainly didn't get any promises from management. Trades are part of NBA business and I don't see that any of the others except Hardaway had any reason to think that a trade was not a possibility.

And of course, given that he'd be signing for such a good deal, Lewis should easily be able to demand a no-trade clause in the 3 year deal.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:33 PM   #89
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

You're right, hoops. I thought there was some kind of hint about Howard, some kind of agreement between Hardaway and Nellie, a promise between Bradley and Cuban. The lot that went north were just contributers who were here, then weren't. I guess I was asking if there's anything binding. Do any Mavs have written no trade clauses?
Edit for grammar
Old 08-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #90
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

During the speculation about Malone last year, there was a lot of reporting about no-trade clauses and how rare they were in the NBA. There was no mention of any Mavs having one and since the reporting was about Malone and the Mavs I assume it would have been mentioned. It does seem to be generally assumed that Bradley received a no-trade promise.

There were trade rumors about Howard from the start of last summer and a lot of people--including Nellie--speculated that that caused his slump throughout the start of last season. Despite that, Nellie (and Cuban) never even tried to dispel the trade rumors by saying Juwan wouldn't be traded. They always left the possibility open (Nellie's comment was to the effect, &quot;He's going to have to just play through it.&quot

Hardaway I think is a special case. I don't think he ever got a promise. But then I doubt it even occurred to him or anyone else to ask given a) the amount of trouble the Mavs went to to acquire him; b) he only had a 2 year contract with a ridiculously low (by NBA standards) buyout on the 2nd year; and c) his relationship with Nellie. Given all that, I think he just assumed he wouldn't be traded--and when they first got him, the Mavs probably assumed that too. But I also don't think Lewis needs to worry about Hardaway in making his calculations. Hardaway was at the end of his career and only had a 2 year contract. He was clearly not a part of the long-term core of the team. Lewis on the other hand is a rising star who we want because he can be a part of our long-term core.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 PM   #91
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Sounds reasonable (If mavs say he will be here through the contract, then he will). So it seems it shouldn't take a whole lot of faith to assume the mavs won't do anything out of character (betray a no contract promise, underpay a player). Does the decision then boil down to what group of guys Lewis would rather play with? A group of guys (sonics) among whom he looks great cause he's so much better than them, or a group of guys (mavs) among whom he looks great cause the entire team will play better?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:55 PM   #92
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< Sounds reasonable (If mavs say he will be here through the contract, then he will). So it seems it shouldn't take a whole lot of faith to assume the mavs won't do anything out of character (betray a no contract promise, underpay a player). Does the decision then boil down to what group of guys Lewis would rather play with? A group of guys (sonics) among whom he looks great cause he's so much better than them, or a group of guys (mavs) among whom he looks great cause the entire team will play better? >>

Well, I still think it boils down to security and trust. He's been burnt once before for taking less money and trusting that in a couple of years the team would make it up to him. And a career-ending injury is always a possibility and the Seattle offer gives him more security.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:45 PM   #93
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< Sounds reasonable (If mavs say he will be here through the contract, then he will). So it seems it shouldn't take a whole lot of faith to assume the mavs won't do anything out of character (betray a no contract promise, underpay a player). Does the decision then boil down to what group of guys Lewis would rather play with? A group of guys (sonics) among whom he looks great cause he's so much better than them, or a group of guys (mavs) among whom he looks great cause the entire team will play better? >>

Well, I still think it boils down to security and trust. He's been burnt once before for taking less money and trusting that in a couple of years the team would make it up to him. And a career-ending injury is always a possibility and the Seattle offer gives him more security.
>>

A career ending injury is possible yes but I think its a lil safer knowing that Dirk Finley and Nash will get more touches and have to do more work then Rashard which I see that it makes Lewis less capable of getting a career ending injury but anything can happen.

1996-2005
Old 08-07-2002, 03:17 PM   #94
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Mark Cuban is flirting with Rashard Lewis and Sonics president Wally Walker doesn't like it. Walker shot back at Cuban Tuesday after Cuban said that the Mavs' offer of three years for $15 million is close to the Sonics' offer of seven years, $60 million, at least for the first three years. &quot;It's curious that Mark didn't mention the difference in our offer in years four through seven of the contract,&quot; Walker said. &quot;Particularly as it relates to a player like Tim Hardaway, who gets traded from Dallas, or a player like Greg Buckner, who doesn't get re-signed. Let's run those numbers after tax.&quot; . . .
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:19 PM   #95
Drbio
Banned

Sounds like Wally Walker has been eating some sour grapes.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:21 PM   #96
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 12:00 a.m. Pacific
Steve Kelley / Times staff columnist
Sonics' offer best Lewis is likely to receive

Yo, Rashard Lewis!

Or should I say, &quot;Aloha?&quot;

I bet it's kind of sticky over there in Hawaii right now, and I'm not talking about the humidity.

There you are, attending the wedding of your Sonics teammate, Desmond Mason, while many of your other teammates and owner Howard Schultz, General Manager Rick Sund and President Wally Walker are there staring at you and wondering whether you're going to be with them or against them next season.

Talk about your dysfunctional event. It almost seems like this is an episode of &quot;Six Feet Under&quot; waiting to happen.

And isn't Gary Payton there? And isn't he fuming because the Sonics won't even talk to him about a contract extension? I know he hasn't been returning Coach Nate McMillan's phone calls and now they're going to meet over there, face-to-face.

It's getting hot, isn't it?

Gary Payton, now there's a guy with a legitimate beef. He's still the best player on the team. Still an All-Star. Still the player who wants the ball in his hands at the end of a game. Throughout his career, he's played through the kind of pain that would have put you on injured reserve faster than you can say Vin Baker.

I know Payton hasn't been your favorite Sonic. I know, in your first couple of years, he rode you mercilessly and made your life miserable. But that was then and this is now and the Sonics owe it to Payton to at least talk about a new contract, don't you think?

And there you are, in Kauai with your feelings hurt because the Sonics &quot;only&quot; offered you a seven-year, $60 million contract. Apparently you believe you're worth some $30 million more.

By the way, could you explain to someone who's trying to see if he can afford a venti Mocha Valencia at his favorite coffee spot the difference between $60 million and $90 million?

What can you buy with $60 million that you can't buy for $90 million? An Airbus? A small Caribbean country? Tickets to a Rolling Stones concert? Are you the kind of guy who sits around the breakfast table and wonders, &quot;If only I had that extra $30 million.&quot;

The fact is, Rashard, your performance through your first four seasons doesn't warrant even $60 million. You haven't won anything. Not one playoff series. You've never made an All-Star team. And the buzz around the league is that you're still soft.

Still, the Sonics are willing to offer you $60 million ($75 million with incentives) not because of who you are but because of who you might become. They are the ones making the gamble here.

I know Dallas is tugging like a Jack Russell terrier at your pant cuffs. And I understand why you would have enjoyed your recruiting visit there. Owner Mark Cuban is smart and aggressive and unorthodox. He knows you didn't get the sustained wooing from big-time NCAA programs because you came into the league from high school. So, when he brought cheerleaders to meet you at the Dallas airport recently, it must have felt like the recruiting trip to Kentucky you never took.

The Dallas offer (three years, $15 million) is closer to what you're worth. And it would be a good place for you because, quite frankly, you're not ready to be the go-to guy you're going to have to become in Seattle.

Dallas fits your personality. With Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley, Steve Nash and Raef LaFrentz, you can be a third or fourth option. You'll win and the spotlight won't glare on you.

But if you really want to feel needed, if you want to be the first option — as you've said you do — if you want to instantly be rich beyond anyone's dreams, you should sign with the Sonics.

After the Mason nuptials and after the dancing and eating and drinking is done, I believe Seattle will up its offer.

The Sonics can't afford to lose you any more than they can afford to lose Payton. And Seattle, without you and Payton, is Denver. No matter how worried it is about cap room and luxury-tax levies, nobody in Sonics management wants to be the Denver Nuggets.

So you can go to Dallas, be another piece of a very attractive puzzle, be close to your Houston home, but make a lot less money and take the gamble that in three years Cuban will give you the $90 million you believe you're worth right now.

Or you can return to Seattle, feeling as rich as Bill Gates, with the same opportunity Payton and Shawn Kemp had a decade ago, to lead the team out of mediocrity and back into contention in the West.

You've arrived in Paradise, Rashard, and I don't mean Hawaii. This is a win-win for you. But if you're after the money, if you want something close to what you believe you're worth, the best offer on the table is the Sonics'.

And, even though you're only 23, it might be the best offer you ever get.

Mahalo and aloha.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #97
Drbio
Banned

I think Walker is trying to goad Cuban into saying something in the press about years 4-7. If Cuban were to fall for it (which I'm sur ehe won't), then Walker could cry foul and accuse the Mavs of being inviolation of the CBA like the T-pups did. Walker is being a childlike tool.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:33 PM   #98
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

So is this sweet talker trying to convince Lewis to stay in Seattle or trying to show him the kind of love that will make him sign with Dallas?

Could this guy be working for Cuban?

...Throughout &lt;Payton's&gt; career, he's played through the kind of pain that would have put you on injured reserve faster than you can say Vin Baker....

...The fact is, Rashard, your performance through your first four seasons doesn't warrant even $60 million. You haven't won anything. Not one playoff series. You've never made an All-Star team. And the buzz around the league is that you're still soft....

...The Dallas offer (three years, $15 million) is closer to what you're worth. And it would be a good place for you because, quite frankly, you're not ready to be the go-to guy you're going to have to become in Seattle.

Dallas fits your personality. With Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley, Steve Nash and Raef LaFrentz, you can be a third or fourth option. You'll win and the spotlight won't glare on you.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:50 PM   #99
Drbio
Banned

it's a damn Seattle Times writer, nt a Sonic employee....but I hope it ticks off Rashard that it appeared in the paper.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:20 AM   #100
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Rockets seem to think there still in the running..

Aug. 7, 2002, 11:48PM

Rockets still a contender in Lewis sweepstakes
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Although still in the starting blocks, the Rockets remain in the running for Seattle forward Rashard Lewis, said Lewis' Houston-based agent Carl Poston on Wednesday.

Poston said negotiations with the SuperSonics have not brought Lewis closer to returning to Seattle and that Lewis also is considering the Rockets and Dallas. Although Lewis was impressed with the Mavericks in a recruiting visit to Dallas and the Rockets have not made a push for Lewis, Poston said the Rockets likely would jump past Dallas if they can come to a sign-and-trade deal with the Sonics.

&quot;Our options are still open,&quot; Poston said. &quot;That includes Dallas and Houston. (The Rockets) are still in the hunt. It doesn't look good with Seattle. Houston is still in the picture.

&quot;I think (the Rockets are) an option. They're not No. 1. What we'd really like to do is sign with Seattle. But if Seattle doesn't give him fair-market value, Houston is one of the options.&quot;

As with the Mavericks, the Rockets only could offer Lewis the mid-level of exception, beginning at $4.546 million in the first season. If Lewis, 22, leaves Seattle, he would have to play three seasons for another team before he could regain his &quot;Bird&quot; rights, allowing his next team to go over the salary cap to re-sign him.

Poston would not discuss Seattle's offer, but it is reportedly worth roughly $60 million over seven years.

The Rockets' closest contract to that offer belongs to Maurice Taylor, who is one season into a six-year, $48 million contract. The SuperSonics did try to sign Taylor as a free agent in August, 2000.

A sign-and-trade could be for seven seasons because Lewis officially would sign with his current team, but it would be complicated because Lewis would become a base-year player, making a swap of two players almost impossible. Poston said such a deal likely would have to involve a large number of players and likely a third team, but that the Sonics have not yet been willing to consider such options.

&quot;Dallas poses a better scenario (than the Rockets) because they are further along in their development,&quot; Poston said. &quot;But a sign-and-trade would be better because it would give him long-term security. Does Dallas lose its advantage if Houston can do a sign-and-trade? I think he'd really like to look at Houston then. But it's a little premature to talk about that possibility.

&quot;Right now, we're just talking with Seattle. We met with Seattle. Although I thought it was a good meeting, it was below our expectations.&quot;

Lewis, a 6-10, 217-pound small forward, averaged 16.8 points and seven rebounds last season, this after turning pro out of Elsik High School. He made 46.8 percent of his shots and 38.9 percent of his 3-point attempts.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson met with Poston last week, though he did not make an official offer.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:25 AM   #101
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Its starting to look really bleek for the Sonics.
And it looks like the only way for Rockets to get Rashard is by SAT.
I don't think the Sonics would help Lewis get his money somewhere else.
Plus, why would Seattle take on more salary when they need the room for next summer.

It's looking better and better for the Mavericks.

C'mon Shard lets get this thing wrapped up!!

Side Note: Do I win anything for posting the 100th message to this thread?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2002, 09:37 AM   #102
lukano1

lukano1 is on a distinguished road

Fellas'

You guys are pathetic, &quot;Oh, PLEASE Mr. Lewis come with us just 'cause we are the good guys but we'll pay you millions of dlls less&quot; Listen to this very carefully Lewis has an agent that is most probably a retard. Do you really believe he will let L:ewis sigh for LESS money! Please. Good subject for conversation, nothing else.

Peace
lukano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:38 AM   #103
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< Fellas'

You guys are pathetic, &quot;Oh, PLEASE Mr. Lewis come with us just 'cause we are the good guys but we'll pay you millions of dlls less&quot; Listen to this very carefully Lewis has an agent that is most probably a retard. Do you really believe he will let L:ewis sigh for LESS money! Please. Good subject for conversation, nothing else.

Peace
>>

He will be taking less money but in the first 3 years he is not taking too much less and plus he is with a contender who he can have a chance to get a ring with. Everyone on ESPN tv and radio are saying the best thing to do is sign with Mavs because in the long run he actually gets paid more money.

1996-2005
Old 08-08-2002, 10:44 AM   #104
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

i don't understand how we're gonna sign lewis for the max in three years when we're gonna probably sign nash for the max then, too.

that's basically 5-6 players on our team that will have max contracts. is that feasible at all??

guess that's for cuban to worry about
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:01 AM   #105
Drbio
Banned

It's feasible if Cuban is willing to pay the potential luxury taxes.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:01 AM   #106
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The Houston Chronicle is notorious for being full of BS. I lived in Houston for 3 years and prefered the McNews to the Chronicle. Why? This article is a perfect example. Not one quote from the Rockets. Not one quote from Seattle. No statement of any kind from Lewis. No information regarding any trade discussions between Seattle and Houston. The only thing in the article that is more than speculation or less than two weeks old is a couple of quotes from Lewis' agent. And Lewis' agent said exactly what the Houston Chronicle wanted to hear: Houston is a great city and Lewis would make the Rockets better than the Dallas Mavericks. It is nice to know that Lewis' agent thinks that Lewis would make the Rockets better than the Mavericks, but what Lewis' agent states as his opinion is not relavent.

This entire article is an attempt by Lewis' agent to drum up interest in Lewis in Houston and to try and drive up Seattle's contract offer. It is pure conjecture and lacks no substance and should be treated as such.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:04 AM   #107
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

It's very feasible when you have a owner like Cuban.

I think Cuban does not worry about those type of guys (Lewis, Nash) getting max out money. I think he is more worried about paying high salaries for players like Bradley, TAW.

In the next few years it will balance out to were the top end players (starters) are making top dollar and the bench players are making less than market value just to have a chance to win and possibly a ring to go with it.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #108
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

I would much rather be debating over our owner shelling out all these max contracts then debating on why Cuban does not take care of his best players financially.

I do not even know why its an issue.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:57 PM   #109
AndyMo

AndyMo is on a distinguished road

I am new and may have missed it but was wondering whether there is a way of incrasing the Lewis contract value without increasing the salary.

Would it be possible to give Lewis all of his contract money at the start of the season. Therefore he would be able to invest it and possbily make more money for the year and come close to getting what he could from Seattle. I read in the article below from Hoopsworld that this is one of stipulations in O'Neal's Laker contract so he would make up some of the money when he moved from a state with no income tax, Florida, to a state with high income taxes, California. This might be a way of legally making the contract more attractive especially if Seattle is pinching pennies and is not willing to match.

I posted this at the Lone Mavs Forum but was wondering what you guys thought.

AndyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 02:07 PM   #110
Drbio
Banned

Andy- welcome to the board. I don't think that is allowed. The most the Mavs can give him by the terms of the CBA is the 4.565 exception in the first year. Great angle though.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:34 PM   #111
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I think Andy means that Cuban might give the entirety of each year's salary at the start of the year. Normally, players get their multi-million dollar salaries on a monthly (or bi-monthly, I'm not sure which) basis just like most salaried employees. If he got the full 4.6 million at the start of the year then Lewis could begin drawing interest on the full amount immediately.

I don't know of any rules that would prevent such a set up AndyMo--although Shaq's contract was signed before the current CBA so the fact that he does it doesn't necessarily mean that it is still possible.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:01 PM   #112
AndyMo

AndyMo is on a distinguished road

You are correct about my intentions. It was also mentioned in the Hoopsworld article that Houston may be thinking about doing this sort of manuever for Francis' new contract. If that is the case then I would assume it is still possible. Although I suppose it could now be something that only a team with Bird-rights could do, but I have never heard of that coming up before.

AndyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 04:40 PM   #113
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y
Old 08-09-2002, 08:41 AM   #114
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< I am new and may have missed it but was wondering whether there is a way of incrasing the Lewis contract value without increasing the salary.

Would it be possible to give Lewis all of his contract money at the start of the season. Therefore he would be able to invest it and possbily make more money for the year and come close to getting what he could from Seattle. I read in the article below from Hoopsworld that this is one of stipulations in O'Neal's Laker contract so he would make up some of the money when he moved from a state with no income tax, Florida, to a state with high income taxes, California. This might be a way of legally making the contract more attractive especially if Seattle is pinching pennies and is not willing to match.

I posted this at the Lone Mavs Forum but was wondering what you guys thought.
>>

Not only is this allowed, but Cuban put just such a clause in Etan Thomas and Courtney Alexander's contracts. I expect that Cuban put just such terms in Dirk and Finley's contracts as well. There was an article about this 2 years ago and Cuban said that while it would cost him $100,000.00 in interest tops, it was a way of providing potential extra revenue to his players.

If you recall, during the strike, there was an arbitration battle over this issue. Players such as CWebb who had similar contracts wanted their money at the start of the year even though the season wasn't starting because the players were locked out or striking. The players lost the issue and that was one of the reason the strike ended when it did. Some bigtime players (and their agents) were expecting huge checks at the start of the season and they weren't going to get them until the season actually started.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:09 AM   #115
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Sonics vs. Lewis: Who's going to back down first?
Frank Hughes; The News Tribune

When the Seattle SuperSonics and free agent Rashard Lewis return from Desmond Mason's wedding in Kaua, Hawaii, they will have come to the point in contract negotiations where real decisions need to be made.

The past few weeks have been spent with the Sonics making their offer of $60 million over seven seasons, Lewis being disgruntled with that offer and the Sonics attempting to explain to Lewis why he should accept it despite his unhappiness.

Neither side has budged, and if both sides' latest stances are taken at face value, neither side is willing to budge in the future.

Lewis still thinks he is worth much more than what Seattle is willing to pay, and the Sonics are wary of giving an unproven player with a lot of potential a large contract that may bog down the organization if their gamble is wrong.

That view, in fact, was bolstered when members of Sonics management, according to league sources, called their counterparts around the league and were told that $60 million may be too much to pay for Lewis, who averaged 17 points and seven rebounds last season.

With that in mind, it seems unlikely the Sonics are going to offer more money, and if they do, it likely will not be significantly more.

So that leaves a few options. Lewis can simply turn down Seattle's offer outright and take Dallas' three-year, $15 million deal with the hope that he gets a maximum contract in 2005.

Or, as is expected, Lewis' camp can ask for the Sonics to participate in a sign-and-trade deal.

The Mavericks, according to sources, have called the Sonics and apparently are willing to do a sign-and-trade deal - though, realistically, that is almost impossible between just the two teams. That is because Lewis becomes a base year compensation player, meaning Seattle can take back in salary only half as much as it gives Dallas, which in this case would be Lewis' first-year salary.

So far, sources say, the Sonics have not returned the Mavericks' phone calls.

The Sonics have said since the off-season began that they would not do a sign-and-trade, for two reasons. First, they think they have Lewis boxed into a corner and they do not want to give him an out. He can take either Dallas' offer or Seattle's offer, but he cannot compromise.

Second, if Seattle does a sign-and-trade, it likely would not get back nearly as much in talent, and probably would have to take on players with bad contracts. At a time when Seattle has positioned itself to free salary-cap space next summer, the last thing it wants to do is use it up on players who won't help.

However, there is some political maneuvering that Seattle may engage in. If Seattle does return the Mavericks' call, it could be because it will then demand that either Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley or Steve Nash be involved in the deal.

When Dallas flatly refuses, as it is sure to do, the Sonics can then tell Lewis that Dallas clearly is not very interested in acquiring him. Also, Seattle can tells its fans that it tried to get a deal done for Lewis but the Mavericks were not accommodating.

The other option is for Seattle to simply tell Dallas and every other interested team, including Houston, that it will not do a sign-and-trade deal.

Ultimately, the decision will fall back into Lewis' lap, which is what Seattle has hoped for all along.

At 23 years old, will Lewis turn down an offer of $60 million guaranteed over seven seasons in exchange for $15 million over three years with the hope and gamble of a bigger payday later?

We're getting closer to the answer.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:10 AM   #116
MFFL
Guru

Friday, August 09, 2002 - 12:00 a.m. Pacific
Sonics

Now that the nuptials are over and newlywed Desmond Mason has whisked his bride away for an exotic honeymoon, Sonics management and Rashard Lewis — who attended the ceremony in Hawaii — will renew the work to repair their rocky marriage.

The free-agent forward maintains that if the two sides are to reconcile, then Seattle will need to increase the guaranteed money on its seven-year, $60 million offer with an additional $15 million in incentives and bonuses.

Unless his demands are met, Lewis, who turned 23 yesterday, is pushing for a divorce and will cozy up with a Texas suitor, perhaps the Dallas Mavericks or the Houston Rockets.

&quot;Our options are still open,&quot; Lewis' agent Carl Poston told the Houston Chronicle. &quot;That includes Dallas and Houston. (The Rockets) are still in the hunt. It doesn't look good with Seattle. &quot;I think (the Rockets) are an option. They're not No. 1. What we'd really like to do is sign with Seattle. But if Seattle doesn't give him fair-market value, Houston is one of the options.&quot;

Although Lewis is upset by what he believes is a low offer from the Sonics, it seems he won't be guided solely by emotions.

Sources close to the negotiations say that Poston has asked the Sonics to consider a sign-and-trade deal with either of the Texas teams because the most Dallas or Houston could offer Lewis would be a three-year agreement worth $15 million.

Since negotiations began over six weeks ago, the Sonics have adamantly opposed a sign-and-trade deal and would rather let Lewis walk away without receiving any compensation.

Even Dallas owner Mark Cuban said he would have difficulty completing such a complicated exchange that would require both teams to swap additional players.

&quot;We would be interested (but) it's just nearly impossible because Rashard would be a base-year player,&quot; Cuban said via e-mail. &quot;When a player gets more than a 20 percent raise, then the (Sonics) can only take back (half) as much salary, but the team getting the player, in this case Rashard, must take the full amount.

&quot;We have been going through lots of iterations trying to figure out how to make things work,&quot; Cuban added. &quot;It's up to the Sonics to tell us they are willing to do it, and what players they would be willing to take back before anything can happen. We have calls into them, but have not heard back.&quot;

Consider the Miami Heat's situation two years ago when they attempted to acquire All-Star guard Eddie Jones from Charlotte in a sign-and-trade deal. After much haggling, the teams ended up exchanging nine players to bring the swap into accordance with NBA rules that say players traded must be within 15 percent of each other's aggregate salaries.

The Mavs would have considerable difficulty trading for Lewis because they've identified their high-salaried players (Michael Finley, Dirk Nowitzki and Raef LaFrentz) as their franchise cornerstones.

Cuban believes his team is one player away from seriously challenging the three-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers and it's unlikely that he'll dismantle the Mavs for a 6-10 forward who averaged 16.8 points and 7.0 rebounds last season.

Raiding the Rockets roster is more feasible because forward Maurice Taylor is scheduled to make $7.2 million next season and Kelvin Cato is due $6.7 million. Packaging one of them with another Houston player could make a deal with the Sonics possible.

Still, every contingency hinges upon what monetary figure will make Lewis happy. Initially, he wanted a maximum contract of $102 million, but backed away from those claims and was reportedly seeking a $90 million deal.

Lately, Lewis has been vague on the subject, only to say he wants substantially more than what the Sonics have offered. Meanwhile, Seattle has not budged from its offer and has given no indication that it will up the ante.

Sonics General Manager Rick Sund has represented the team during the initial phase of the negotiations, but owner Howard Schultz and CEO/President Wally Walker have gotten involved over the past week.

Walker, who is scheduled to return from Hawaii late tonight, spoke with Poston last weekend and said contract talks would likely resume Monday.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:42 AM   #117
Drbio
Banned

Dooby- you can do it in a contract, but you can't givce the whole amount up front. I.E. if you signed a 3 year 15 million deal based on the midlevel exception, you couldn't make the first year salary 12 million, year 2 @ 1 million, and year 3 @ 2 million. It violates the intent and Ithink the verbage of the exception. It has to be spread out based on the exceptions value. Now there is nothing that prevents Cuban from paying the whole 4.5 million in the first check each year I guess. I just don't think he can front load the whole contract in year one.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:21 AM   #118
Dooby
Diamond Member

Sonics vs. Lewis: Who's going to back down first?

Frank Hughes; The News Tribune

When the Seattle SuperSonics and free agent Rashard Lewis return from Desmond Mason's wedding in Kaua, Hawaii, they will have come to the point in contract negotiations where real decisions need to be made.

The past few weeks have been spent with the Sonics making their offer of $60 million over seven seasons, Lewis being disgruntled with that offer and the Sonics attempting to explain to Lewis why he should accept it despite his unhappiness.

Neither side has budged, and if both sides' latest stances are taken at face value, neither side is willing to budge in the future.

Lewis still thinks he is worth much more than what Seattle is willing to pay, and the Sonics are wary of giving an unproven player with a lot of potential a large contract that may bog down the organization if their gamble is wrong.

That view, in fact, was bolstered when members of Sonics management, according to league sources, called their counterparts around the league and were told that $60 million may be too much to pay for Lewis, who averaged 17 points and seven rebounds last season.

With that in mind, it seems unlikely the Sonics are going to offer more money, and if they do, it likely will not be significantly more.

So that leaves a few options. Lewis can simply turn down Seattle's offer outright and take Dallas' three-year, $15 million deal with the hope that he gets a maximum contract in 2005.

Or, as is expected, Lewis' camp can ask for the Sonics to participate in a sign-and-trade deal.

The Mavericks, according to sources, have called the Sonics and apparently are willing to do a sign-and-trade deal - though, realistically, that is almost impossible between just the two teams. That is because Lewis becomes a base year compensation player, meaning Seattle can take back in salary only half as much as it gives Dallas, which in this case would be Lewis' first-year salary.

So far, sources say, the Sonics have not returned the Mavericks' phone calls.

The Sonics have said since the off-season began that they would not do a sign-and-trade, for two reasons. First, they think they have Lewis boxed into a corner and they do not want to give him an out. He can take either Dallas' offer or Seattle's offer, but he cannot compromise.

Second, if Seattle does a sign-and-trade, it likely would not get back nearly as much in talent, and probably would have to take on players with bad contracts. At a time when Seattle has positioned itself to free salary-cap space next summer, the last thing it wants to do is use it up on players who won't help.

However, there is some political maneuvering that Seattle may engage in. If Seattle does return the Mavericks' call, it could be because it will then demand that either Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley or Steve Nash be involved in the deal.

When Dallas flatly refuses, as it is sure to do, the Sonics can then tell Lewis that Dallas clearly is not very interested in acquiring him. Also, Seattle can tells its fans that it tried to get a deal done for Lewis but the Mavericks were not accommodating.

The other option is for Seattle to simply tell Dallas and every other interested team, including Houston, that it will not do a sign-and-trade deal.

Ultimately, the decision will fall back into Lewis' lap, which is what Seattle has hoped for all along.

At 23 years old, will Lewis turn down an offer of $60 million guaranteed over seven seasons in exchange for $15 million over three years with the hope and gamble of a bigger payday later?

We're getting closer to the answer.

Frank Hughes: 253-597-8742, ext. 6120
frank.hughes@mail.tribnet.com

Old 08-09-2002, 10:25 AM   #119
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< Dooby- you can do it in a contract, but you can't givce the whole amount up front. I.E. if you signed a 3 year 15 million deal based on the midlevel exception, you couldn't make the first year salary 12 million, year 2 @ 1 million, and year 3 @ 2 million. It violates the intent and Ithink the verbage of the exception. It has to be spread out based on the exceptions value. Now there is nothing that prevents Cuban from paying the whole 4.5 million in the first check each year I guess. I just don't think he can front load the whole contract in year one. >>

Everything you say is true...this time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I wasn't suggesting, and I don't think AndyMo was either, that we give Rashard a three year $15M deal with $13M in the first year.

Old 08-09-2002, 03:05 PM   #120
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

S&amp;T Silliness
Big 3 Now Mentioned In Lewis Talks?

By Mike Fisher - DallasBasketball.com
Would the Mavs consider a sign-and-trade in order to seal the Rashard Lewis deal?
Sure. But how did the names of Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Steve Nash get dragged into this?
The latest:
Lewis’ agent, Carl Poston, is clearly trying to get Rashard both the sort of long-term security Seattle is offering (the seven-year, $60 million proposal with an additional $15 million in incentives) and a job in Dallas. It is Poston who is pushing the Mavs to try to wotk a sign-and-trade with Seattle.
Dallas is willing to work with that concept, which is causing both observers of the situation and maybe even Seattle executives themselves to dream big.
From the Tacoma News-Tribune: “There is some political maneuvering that Seattle may engage in. If Seattle does return the Mavericks' call, it could be because it will then demand that either Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley or Steve Nash be involved in the deal.’’
Whoa, fellas.
The Tacoma paper goes on to say that the Mavs will balk at such talk, but then at least the Sonics can tell Lewis that the Mavs must not be THAT interested in him (weak!) and they can their their fans that they tried everything to get a deal done but the Mavs screwed ‘em (weaker!).
Says Mavs owner Mark Cuban: &quot;We would be interested. … it's just nearly impossible because Rashard would be a base-year player. When a player gets more than a 20-percent raise, then the (Sonics) can only take back (half) as much salary, but the team getting the player, in this case Rashard, must take the full amount. It's up to the Sonics to tell us they are willing to do it, and what players they would be willing to take back before anything can happen. We have calls into them, but have not heard back.&quot;
Hey, how about Dirk! Just kidding.
The Mavs are interested in Lewis because he can be a key supplementary building block. Giving up a building block to get one is not the plan. It would be a mistake to fall so in love with Lewis (who turned 23 on Thursday, by the way) that you fall out of love with the equally gifted players you’re already married to.
So yes, if Seattle wants to pacify its fans by working a three-way deal in which Dallas acquires Rashard and gives him a long-term deal while forfeiting an expendable body that allows Seattle to announce, “See! We salvaged something from nothing!,’’ fine.
The most appealing deal from Dallas’ perspective is still the one offered initially: three years, $15 million, Lewis buying an insurance policy to protect him against injury, and a cozy wink toward a big-monied future.
The two reasons this isn’t done yet:
One, Lewis turned 23 on Thursday and was in Hawaii for teammate Desmond Mason’s wedding. Also attending were other Sonics and even some Sonics officials. Nothing screws up a reception more than stealing attention from the bride by announcing a team defection.
Two, agents are agents. Poston is behind all the machinations here. He’s even trying to crank up his client’s profile by mentioning renewed interest in the Houston Rockets. Poston says, &quot;Our options are still open. That includes Dallas and Houston. (The Rockets) are still in the hunt. It doesn't look good with Seattle. &quot;I think (the Rockets) are an option. They're not No. 1. What we'd really like to do is sign with Seattle. But if Seattle doesn't give him fair-market value, Houston is one of the options.&quot;

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote