Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #81
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Nobody except the various people who have stood atop the mountaintop and proclaimed JET's imminent playoff failure, that is.
Yeah, but even those people aren't suggesting JET get 15 minutes. It's not an extreme change. If Roddy can start the game, why can't he start the fourth for a few minutes? Or at the very least, get a few minutes after the first half of the 3rd quarter? JET's going to get at least 25 min. a night, that's a given, and for the most part, justified. But using him for 17 minutes straight when he's not having a great game by any stretch doesn't seem very smart. But then again, I'm just a fan and Rick is the coach..
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #82
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Nobody except the various people who have stood atop the mountaintop and proclaimed JET's imminent playoff failure, that is.
If you tried four times to jump over a wood bench and four times you failed and hit your face on the ground - would you try it a 5th time the same way or maybe try it at least a little bit different?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #83
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
If you tried four times to jump over a wood bench and four times you failed and hit your face on the ground - would you try it a 5th time the same way or maybe try it at least a little bit different?
If you tried four times to jump over a wood bench and failed all 4 times, would you ask a toddler to give it a shot?

That analogy is only a little bit worse than yours.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #84
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I love Roddy but don't you think it's kind of dumb to get mad at RC playing Terry in the 4th when Terry is one of the highest scoring 4th quarter players in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

Think about all finishing lineups on teams. Think about how consistently they get minutes in the 4th. Think about all the Superstars, the all stars, the borderline allstars.. everyone.

Terry is ahead of 99% of them.

Give RC and Terry a break and quitchabitchin.
I didnt see you post but I said something similar. Terry is a good player ...yet he is up there with some of the best players to ever play the game when it comes to 4th Q play.

You dont end up in a category like that by accident..and I think this is his second or 3rd year in a row.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #85
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Go BC! That's all I've really got for tonight's game.
Rodrigue Beaubois - 9 points (4-10 FGM-A, 1-4 3PM-A), 4 assists, 3 rebounds in 17 minutes.

Brian Cardinal - 12 points (4-8 FGM-A, 4-8 3PM-A), 3 steals, 1 assist in 16 minutes.

Apples & oranges, but the same overall production...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-08-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #86
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I agree that Terry should be in there down the stretch. We rely on he and Dirk for 4th quarter scoring. But, like Popeye mentioned, I don't think he needed to play 17 straight minutes and I don't think Roddy should have been on the bench for the last 21 or so minutes.
ya man, I'm with you on that. I was more responding to the dude claiming Terry was the antichrist.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #87
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Rodrigue Beaubois - 9 points (4-10 FGM-A, 1-4 3PM-A), 4 assists, 3 rebounds in 17 minutes.

Brian Cardinal - 12 points (4-8 FGM-A, 4-8 3PM-A), 3 steals, 1 assist in 16 minutes.

Free Brian C!

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 03-08-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #88
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ya man, I'm with you on that. I was more responding to the dude claiming Terry was the antichrist.
nice arguing dude.

Well, see you again in the post season after Terry clanked us out of the playoffs and we had to stick with it.

Last edited by sefant77; 03-08-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #89
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Yes, it was. He was 3-11 with 4 turnovers and a whooping -11. Claiming his efficiency was not a problem makes you not sound very smart.
Soo where were you over the lst coupld of weeks when Jet lead the team in +/- ?? I am just curious because I remember at leats 4 games over the last few weeks where Jet was leadin the team in that...but now that he was a -11..its the end of the world.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #90
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Carlisle is totally the reason we lost tonight.
I agree...Carlisle and his stubborness keeping the second best scoring duo on the floor in crunchtime is the reason we lost AGAIN...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #91
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

So: when terry plays well, you can't play roddy because terry played well. When terry plays poorly, you can't play roddy because terry might have played well.

Oh yeah - the only criterion we need to think about is whether we got a w or l tonight.

Brilliant

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 03-08-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #92
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
terry and dirk are the 2nd best 4thqtr duo in the league. its no secret the rest of the league knows this. so dont u think we should switch it up here and there so our identity is not the same every single time? im not saying bench terry for the 4th. but atleast allow roddy to play the 1st 3 or 4 mins to see what happens then bring in terry.
NO...but we can have a center out there who commands at least a look? We also can have a small forward that (if he's not fumbling everything off his hands) can get to the rim and do a little bit of postup...

Versus Dampier and Antoine Wright/Devean George...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #93
dude1394
Guru

I know one thing Roddy sure has screwed up the message boards around here. Blind silliness abounds and abounds. Even winning a back-to-back while traveling isn't satisfying anymore because the choosen one isn't getting his minutes.

I'm off trying to make sense of it. Done. Rant on..

Last edited by dude1394; 03-08-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #94
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Apples & oranges, but the same overall production...
Haha. Cardinal is pretty much good for 1-2 solid performances a month. He always performs when he's called upon.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I agree...Carlisle and his stubborness keeping the second best scoring duo on the floor in crunchtime is the reason we lost AGAIN...
Nope, as Cadbane pointed out in the GDT, LeBron/Wade are the best scoring duo in the 4th quarter, but Dirk/Terry are the better in the last 2 minutes...

Scoreboard: Dallas

Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #96
Underdog

Quote:
Haha. Cardinal is pretty much good for 1-2 solid performances a month. He always performs when he's called upon.
Considering we're talking about the LAST guy on our bench, I'll take it... I mean, seriously, how many other teams in the NBA have end-of-bench players who can put up those numbers, like, ever?

We are seriously stacked!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #97
sefant77
Guru

Roddy 9p 4a 3r 0to with 4-10 shooting in 17min.

Yes there was no way in hell he would have kind of matched Terrys output in the 4th, so why even trying. Go with the usual option.

Cant believe people getting bashed here because they prefer to improve the big picture.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #98
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Considering we're talking about the LAST guy on our bench, I'll take it... I mean, seriously, how many other teams in the NBA have end-of-bench players who can put up those numbers, like, ever?

We are seriously stacked!
That's why I made sure to make a note of it tonight. The guy literally only plays once or twice a month and more often than not, he's been a positive. Carlisle said that they don't win the game against Minnesota without Cardinal.

I remember him saying that it's an honor playing for the Mavericks. He's just a good dude to have on your team.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #99
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
That's why I made sure to make a note of it tonight. The guy literally only plays once or twice a month and more often than not, he's been a positive. Carlisle said that they don't win the game against Minnesota without Cardinal.

I remember him saying that it's an honor playing for the Mavericks. He's just a good dude to have on your team.
Roddy should have gotten those minutes...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #100
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Since Booby's minutes seem to be the topic of the day (week, month, season), I'll just say that I thought he had one of his better second-halves since his return tonight, and the relatively extended burn he got in the 3rd quarter reflected that. If the Mavs either hadn't gone on that run to retake the lead at the start the fourth, or had managed to push their advantage to double digits, I think he would have gotten back in.
I agree, it was nice to see Roddy roll over some of his first half success into the second half tonight, and I was happy to see him somewhat rewarded.

It is worth noting that he was responsible for Dirk getting his fourth foul and having to sit most of the third quarter.

Quote:
One rotation comment/criticism that I will levy is that I'm really ready to see Marion inserted into the starting lineup. I know things have been clicking for the bench lately (albeit not tonight), but the imbalance in the forward rotation with both shooters starting and both non-shooters coming off the bench was on display with Dirk's foul trouble; and the fix - starting Marion/Dirk and having the option of bringing in a shooter or defender off the bench according to matchups - seems so obvious that I'll really be surprised if the change isn't made eventually. Maybe Rick is just waiting to make sure Booby's the right guy to start at SG before he makes other changes.
Yep. This is twice in five games that Rick has moved Marion into the starting lineup for the second half. Hopefully that's a sign that he's starting to come around.

As for the complete whip that is the Roddy playing time discussion, I have this comment: Roddy played 18 minutes tonight. I would have preferred a couple more minutes worked in somehow, but if you're expecting/hoping for so many minutes out of Roddy that 18 leaves you bitching, you should probably just try to let it go, because there's no way in hell the dude's going to play more than twenty minutes a night with any regularity this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-08-2011 at 12:51 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #101
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
Soo where were you over the lst coupld of weeks when Jet lead the team in +/- ?? I am just curious because I remember at leats 4 games over the last few weeks where Jet was leadin the team in that...but now that he was a -11..its the end of the world.
Um, in DC on business? Sorry I can't post in every gamethread. I did see the boxscores though. Terry has been playing very well lately. That was nothing to do with tonight. I don't recall saying it's the end of the world. I argued the point that his inefficiency wasn't an issue tonight.

Chill out Mrs. Terry.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #102
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alykhan04 View Post
Yeah, but even those people aren't suggesting JET get 15 minutes. It's not an extreme change. If Roddy can start the game, why can't he start the fourth for a few minutes? Or at the very least, get a few minutes after the first half of the 3rd quarter? JET's going to get at least 25 min. a night, that's a given, and for the most part, justified. But using him for 17 minutes straight when he's not having a great game by any stretch doesn't seem very smart. But then again, I'm just a fan and Rick is the coach..
Listen, I totally agree with everything here. But this is what we could call "the reasonable middle ground." It is not the same as the position being advanced by several people, which is that JET will fail in the playoffs and therefore the Mavericks will lose if they have only him to rely on at that position.

Quote:
There are several reasons this is a bad analogy, but I'll focus on the same one I've been hammering for days: I reject the assumption that JET has only attempted to jump the bench four times. He's attempted to jump it hundreds of times. He's succeeded more often than not.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #103
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Roddy 9p 4a 3r 0to with 4-10 shooting in 17min.

Yes there was no way in hell he would have kind of matched Terrys output in the 4th, so why even trying. Go with the usual option.

Cant believe people getting bashed here because they prefer to improve the big picture.
Terry had 9 points on 2 shots in the 4th. I'm not sure what you're saying.... that Roddy would have done better?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #104
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Terry had 9 points on 2 shots in the 4th. I'm not sure what you're saying.... that Roddy would have done better?
yes roddy would have gotten 12 points on no shots.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #105
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

People's reaction to this game proves there are only two types of Mavs fans:

1) People who care about winning in the playoffs

2) People who only think about winning the next game.

This game was emblamatic of everything that has killed the Mavs in the playoffs year after year after year. Let's take Roddy out of the equation and take thoughts of winning one more regular season game out of it, just for a minute, and at least acknowledge that.

Even without Roddy there's hope though. The Mavs have two x-factors that could finally change things in the playoffs. 1 is Roddy, who wasn't played enough to make an impact tonight even though he played a really great game (and I don't say he plays a great game unless he really does). The other is Tyson Chandler who was out.

Roddy may or may not play in the playoffs.

Chandler will.

So even if RC refuses to play Roddy there's at least some hope. And maybe Chandler's presence will help make things easier on Terry, help keep him from choking away another playoff series.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #106
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post

This game was emblamatic of everything that has killed the Mavs in the playoffs year after year after year. Let's take Roddy out of the equation and take thoughts of winning one more regular season game out of it, just for a minute, and at least acknowledge that.

Even without Roddy there's hope though. The Mavs have two x-factors that could finally change things in the playoffs. 1 is Roddy, who wasn't played enough to make an impact tonight even though he played a really great game (and I don't say he plays a great game unless he really does). The other is Tyson Chandler who was out.

Roddy may or may not play in the playoffs.

Chandler will.

So even if RC refuses to play Roddy there's at least some hope. And maybe Chandler's presence will help make things easier on Terry, help keep him from choking away another playoff series.
Your opinion is very black and white. And it is ignorant also, playing Terry in the 4rth is something I hope we do given the trend this year of him hitting big shots.

Also putting the blame soly on Terry is ignorant, you know who else had bad series? JJB, Kidd, and basically everyone save Dirk.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #107
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yep. Everybody falls cleanly into one of these two categories. It's truly amazing.

I'm the chairman of group #2, and let me tell you, not only are we not thinking about the playoffs, we're not even going to watch them. We don't care. We're making banners after win #50 and hanging them in our kitchens.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #108
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Your opinion is very black and white. And it is ignorant also, playing Terry in the 4rth is something I hope we do given the trend this year of him hitting big shots.
It's not a trend. He does that every year. He always does that. That's why we love him.

And it's also not a trend that he DOESN'T do that in the playoffs. It's just what always happens.

Quote:
Also putting the blame soly on Terry is ignorant, you know who else had bad series? JJB, Kidd, and basically everyone save Dirk.
I'm not. He wasn't the only problem. Never said he was. He is an extremely KEY part of the Mavs though as constructed so that makes it a bigger problem when he has a problem than just about anyone else on the team save Dirk. That's what needs to change... he needs to not be so heavily relied upon.

Also, Terry is the only one of that group whom we know does that consistently. Last year was the first time Kidd & JJB failed us in the playoffs. It's not completely illogical to hope that might have been an abberation. It is completely illogical to think or assume that Terry's repeatedly bad playoff performances are just a fluke.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Group 2 not a big fan of logic.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #109
LonghornDub

Quote:
Group 2 not a big fan of logic.
Yeah, Group 2. Eat that. Logic. Boom.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #110
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post

Dirk has had a bad series or two. You know who ironically did fairly well in those? Terry.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #111
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
It is completely illogical to think or assume that Terry's repeatedly bad playoff performances are just a fluke.
We better have a backup plan, if we plan to give Terry the task of winning us a playoff series. All I'm sayin...

I believe he's had some good games in the playoffs before, but the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about Terry and the playoffs is his defence against Nash on that last play in regulation of Game 6 in 2005.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/25...llas-mavericks

"Yet Mavs fans will remember Nash dribbling by Terry for the open shot that tied the game at 111 at the end of the fourth quarter, then Terry being berated by Nowitzki after the buzzer for his lousy defense."
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #112
Jerry Stackhouse

Jerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
but the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about Terry and the playoffs is his defence against Nash on that last play in regulation of Game 6 in 2005.
So we need Roddy in there for his defensive awareness?
Jerry Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #113
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Terry had 7 points.

Maybe Roddy would have scored more. Maybe less but with better defense. Maybe less with sucking ass. Maybe we would win anyway, maybe lose.

We dont know. Roddy doesnt know. Carlisle doesnt know. The team doesnt know. THIS is what sucks. We just know he lacks playing time and confidence and thats not good going soon into the playoffs and with the recent Jason Terry playoff history.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #114
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
That is not the definition of insanity. It's a dumb cliché.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #115
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
has roddy even played 1min in the 4th qtr yet this season? whats going to happen come playoff time if he has to play some critical mins in the 4th??
He's gonna produce.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #116
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

i hope that terry will be fresh at the PO because 33minutes a game for a 33yo are too much.
but if he plays 31minutes when he shoots 3-11 with 4TO we have a problem.he can plays the last 7-8minutes of the fourth quarter,no doubt about his clutch capacity,but not 17 straight minutes...it's no sense.
a victory over a poor team like minny don't make it sense,guys.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #117
JoeFFM

JoeFFM is just really niceJoeFFM is just really niceJoeFFM is just really niceJoeFFM is just really niceJoeFFM is just really niceJoeFFM is just really nice

Wow, what is wrong with this board? If someone read the PGT of the whole year without looking at the standings, he will think our record is 3-60. But its 46-17 and we have the 3rd best record in the whole league. And that happens with our 2nd best player out for the year and a 2-7 run during Dirk´s injury. We are still the hottest team in the NBA for the last weeks, so i don´t get it why 90% of the board is bitching and whining the whole time. I don´t know if this is a typical Mavs thing, but why are Mavs fans don´t trust in this team, enjoy the regular season(if you can´t remember,they are playing a great season overall)and getting excited that Playoff time is around the corner? Sure, the last few years there wasn´t much fun in the Playoffs, but this a totally different Mavs team with a TRUE center in Tyson and a bunch of veterans in Kidd,Peja,Terry,Marion,JJB and of course UberDirk where everyone can get you +20PPG every single night.
I´m a Red Sox Fan as well, and i know it is hard to believe in your team when it sucks everytime close before the championship. But i still believed and get rewarded with the miracle 2004. And so i think the Mavs are able to let us forget the last years and the unbelievable 2006 loss and make our dreams come true in the sommer of 2011. I believe in this team until they prove me wrong, and maybe some of you can believe too and stop bitching about everything that MAYBE happens in the Playoffs like pussies. Because one is absolutely clear: PUSSYS NEVER WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

Greets from Germany, GO MAVS

P.S I´m sorry for my bad english, i tried to do my best. Thats the reason i´m a silent reader of the this board and this is my first post.
JoeFFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #118
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

First of all about Tysons D. He is in an entire level of his own when it comes to help defense. As good as Haywood plays he is still not the help defender that TC is. Sometimes when you play really good D you don't even get blocks because no one challenges you. It's about defensive range.

As too Terry and Roddy. It's not about Terry vs Roddy it's about RC's ability to make in game adjustments based on the play of the players on the floor. RC doesn't seem to have that ability. He will go with the preconcived concept like many of you that percentage wise Terry is a good 4th quarter player. Well percentage wise that may be true but on any given day a player can also totally disappear in the fourth. It's about recognizing patterns of play. Terry is relatively easy to figuer out. He is a streak shooter. It is stupid to let a player keep putting up shots if he is on a miss streak just because percentage's tell you he will soon end up above average. Well that might not happen until a few games are passed.

There was a time when Terry was our only second option. So it did make sense to let him shoot his way out of a bad streak. He is not our only second option now. The problem with players like Terry they usually { scorers mentality } have no conscience and usually keep shooting even when they are bricking. Dirk is not like that when he doesn't hit he will usually attempt to find the man who is hot. He will only keep shooting if there is no one else. Thats what makes him special. Every team needs players like Terry their lack of memory is what makes them the players that they are. But it is the role of the coach to make sure that they are utilized at the right time.

A player on a bad streak usually won't suddenly start hitting again unless they sit for a while. This allows them to re-establish a different rythm. Thats why coaches make on the fly subsitutions. RC doesn't seem to understand this. He often pulls out a player even when he is on a hot streak just because he has the time of his rotations preplaned. The player sits a while and loses his rythm and his hot streak along with it. With steak players like Terry this ability to recognize their patterns is even more important than most.

RC is like some of the posters on this thread who will rely mostly on statistics for their game plan and rotations because they lack an effective ability to quickly recognize a games variable patterns and flow. I have said before that I noticed that last year when the game didn't seem to follow his preconcieved pattern RC got this blank stare look on his face and looking down to his clip board at his game plan for an answer that wasn't there. He always stayed with his pre-game game plan and rotations and if it wasn't on his clip board he was clueless thus the blank stare. He needs at least a day or two to preplan his adjustments if he has not done so perviousely to the game.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #119
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

@JoeFFM- your english is fine. nice 1st post!
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #120
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFFM View Post
.------------------Greets from Germany, GO MAVS------------------------------------------

P.S I´m sorry for my bad english, i tried to do my best. Thats the reason i´m a silent reader of the this board and this is my first post.
You don't ever have to appologize for your English. It was written better than I usually write my posts and English is my first language. Most people in the USA don't even have a second language. People with class usually are not that focused on whether something is grammantically correct but only if the idea comes across. Content is whats most important. This is a sports board not an English writing class. Feel free to continue to post.

Joe- Most of us believe that the Mavs have a really good team this year and we would like to see them do as well as possible in the playoffs. Some of us are concerned that this will not be possible because of RC's ingrained pattern of substitions. I think RC can be a very good coach if he has the time to adjust to his players skills and abilitys in order to plug them into the proper game positions at the right time.

I was amazed how well RC did this season until the injuries prompted the roster changes and adjustments that were then neccessary. He also has a real hard time utilizing rookies because they represent too much of a variable for him to comfortably deal with. It's just over his head so he just would rather not play him. I think if he weren't pushed by Cuban he wouldn't play him much at all. Personality types like him find security in statistics and feel threatened by too many variables to deal with. We are just frustrated with RC's compulsion driven inability to coach on the fly. We believe that it might impact dicision making during the playoffs when it becomes all important. We think that unless Roddy gets more playing time before the play offs RC will not have had the time to develop the level of confidence to utilize him correctly.

I believe that RC has an avoidance syndrome when it comes to rookies and would rather not be in the position of having to decide to play them in the playoffs so he creates justification for himself subconsciously by not giving them the time during the regular season. So if Roddy hasn't played that much it provides justification for not trusting him in the playoffs. This type of compulsive behavior effects our ability to reason funtionally ergo the blank stare. If you can't understand this psyco-analitical concept no one will fault you for it. But you or anyone else shouldn't disrespect something that you have difficulty comprehending. This is actually what RC's problem is also.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 03-08-2011 at 06:25 AM.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usually merkin, usuallymenstruating