Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #81
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like Mulder is a done deal. All of the rumor buzz is that he is coming here. I'm not sure what kind of dollars he will get but he won't pitch until after the all star break at the earliest.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-08-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #82
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Fox sports....

Quote:
The Rangers, moving to fill their center-field void, are close to signing free-agent center fielder Kenny Lofton.

The deal, expected to be for one year, would give the Rangers a replacement for Gary Matthews Jr., who agreed to a five-year, $50 million free-agent contract with the Angels.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #83
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Lofton would be a nice one year pickup.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #84
Drbio
Banned

It is official. the Rangers have signed kenny Lofton. Details soon but it appears to be a one year deal.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #85
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

And we made our first official offer to Zito....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #86
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Two things..... 1. I thought we already made an offer to Zito.... 2. Kenny Lofton is OLD.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #87
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Two things..... 1. I thought we already made an offer to Zito.... 2. Kenny Lofton is OLD.
No, those were just reports. The Rangers denied the offer.

But now they have apparantly made an official offer.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #88
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification thig.... any word of the numbers? Just to see if my hopes should be gotten up again?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #89
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Thanks for the clarification thig.... any word of the numbers? Just to see if my hopes should be gotten up again?
No, no numbers.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think he's a Met unless we blew their offer out of the water.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #90
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yea, that first "offer" was apparently a fake leak by his agent to get more money from other teams.

Anybody know what the new official offer to Zito is?

Old 12-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #91
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Oh, and Lofton is just a one year stopgap option. I'm fairly happy with this.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #92
Drbio
Banned

I'm happy with Lofton. Low risk high reward guy. No numbers have been released on Zito that I saw.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #93
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

give zito what he wants. we need someone to excite this team.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #94
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Lofton is a great player, you guys will be happy with him this year. I loved him as a Giant.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #95
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

NY Post is reporting that if the Rangers offered anything close to what was reported earlier for Zito, the Mets won't match. Although, there's also an Oakland reporter out there claiming the Giant will go 6/120 for Zito, which is insane.

Link

Also, there's a Montreal paper reporting that the Rangers have agreed with Gagne for 1 year at 8 mil.

Link (It's in French, but the headline is fairly easy to figure out)

Interesting reports there. Hope they're both true.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-12-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #96
Drbio
Banned

If the Giants are going that high then good luck in San Fran. I wouldn't match 20 mil per year.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #97
Drbio
Banned

The Canadians scooped the gagne signing which is the first thing they had led since....well.....

Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #98
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Also, there's a Montreal paper reporting that the Rangers have agreed with Gagne for 1 year at 8 mil.

Link (It's in French, but the headline is fairly easy to figure out)

English version .

Quote:
One day after reportedly making an offer to left-hander Barry Zito, the Rangers are close to signing another Scott Boras client, free-agent closer Eric Gagne, to a one-year contract, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal, which likely is pending a physical, would include significant appearance incentives; Boras had been seeking a $6 million base salary plus $5 million in bonuses for a possible total of $11 million, major-league sources said.

Gagne, who turns 31 on Jan. 7, has pitched in only 16 games the past two seasons while undergoing two elbow operations and back surgery. He is expected to be ready by spring training.

Boras had told interested clubs that Gagne only would sign with a team that intended to make him its closer. The Rangers have explored the possibility of trading right-hander Akinori Otsuka, their closer last season, for young starting pitching.

Veteran starters also are on the Rangers' wish list; the team, after re-signing right-hander Vicente Padilla, is one of the leading suitors for Zito, and club officials are scheduled to meet Tuesday with free-agent left-hander Mark Mulder.

Last season, Gagne underwent surgery to remove a nerve from his pitching elbow on April 7, then season-ending back surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back on July 8.

The Dodgers declined his $12 million option, making him a free agent. The Red Sox and Indians were among the clubs interested, but both balked at his asking price, believing Gagne was too great a risk.

Gagne, a three-time All-Star, holds the major-league record of 84 consecutive saves. His best season was in 2003, when he converted all 55 of his save opportunities and posted a 1.20 ERA en route to the NL Cy Young Award.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 12-12-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #99
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Ron washington needs to use some pull of his to get zito here.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #100
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

Man i hope gagne's still the closer he was two years ago, if so.. awesome signing! If the Rangers get Zito and Mulder in the same year? BRILLIANT!
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #101
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Millwood, Zito, Padilla, Mulder, and young arm. Aki as the setup and Gagne closing or vice versa. Infield intact, except that Laird will be the starting catcher. Outfield with Cat, Lofton, Cruz and Wilkerson.

If he can finalize Zito and Mulder, it seems like the best team Texas has had since Pudge, Juan Gone, and Raffy were on the juice and winning the division.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I will be beyond shocked if we sign Mulder AND Zito after giving Lofton and Gagne 6 mil apiece.

Even without Mulder in that scenario, I love what we're looking at.

Add to that the incredible depth of young arms we have in the bullpen, that we can trade for a power bat during the season if necessary....I love it.

We just need Zito. He's the finishing piece to this puzzle right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #103
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Amen thiggy. Some have even discussed trades revolving around Aki for Hudson... What the hell are we trying to do here, bring back the 3 Oakland "Aces"???
Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #104
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Millwood, Padilla, and the three Oakland "Aces" wouldn't hurt my feelings.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #105
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Nor would it mine, but we all KNOW that ain't happening. But with Francisco able to handle the 8th and Gagne, if fully healthy, able to handle the 9th, woudln't that make Aki very expendable? Or do we want a REALLY deep and good bullpen???
Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #106
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Benoit, Wilson, Francisco, Aki, Gagne.......... these are just a few of the guys!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #107
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Feldman, Littleton, Loe to boot!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #108
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Aki + something deal for Indians Westbrook is the lastest trade rumor i've been hearing.

Jake a freeagent at years end? I'd make sure he's resigned before i do that i think. Although Westbrook is the ideal pitcher for this ballpark.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 12-12-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #109
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Remember Mulder won't be ready till the all-star break, if he is next year, and that would give a half a season to find a young arm, but still have a vet available.

Please dont' forget Loe and Littleton either. <edit> you beat me to it

Last edited by dalmations202; 12-12-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #110
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Nor would it mine, but we all KNOW that ain't happening. But with Francisco able to handle the 8th and Gagne, if fully healthy, able to handle the 9th, woudln't that make Aki very expendable? Or do we want a REALLY deep and good bullpen???
Well, I my guess would be that we head into the season with Aki and Gagne handling the 8th and 9th. If Francisco and a couple other young arms really establish themselves, then you have a great problem, too many arms, and can trade someone.

You can trade Aki, beacuse his value will probably never be higher, or you could even trade Gagne, who's on a one year deal and could easily bolt after the season.

It's a great problem to have right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #111
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Well, I my guess would be that we head into the season with Aki and Gagne handling the 8th and 9th. If Francisco and a couple other young arms really establish themselves, then you have a great problem, too many arms, and can trade someone.

You can trade Aki, beacuse his value will probably never be higher, or you could even trade Gagne, who's on a one year deal and could easily bolt after the season.

It's a great problem to have right now.
Too many arms.........Has Texas EVER had this problem? ? ? I have watched them since they moved to Texas, and don't remember them ever having this problem, but maybe they had this problem while I was in the Army or I just missed it one year.

Which year was it now ? ? ? ?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #112
Drbio
Banned

This is the first hot stove season in years where it was fun to be a Rangers fan.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #113
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Too many arms.........Has Texas EVER had this problem? ? ? I have watched them since they moved to Texas, and don't remember them ever having this problem, but maybe they had this problem while I was in the Army or I just missed it one year.

Which year was it now ? ? ? ?
It's never happened. And it's still a longshot that we have too many, but we have a ton of great young arms in that bullpen right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #114
Drbio
Banned

sonofabitch!!!!

The Astros have acquired right-hander Jason Jennings from the Rockies, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Rockies will receive center fielder Willy Taveras and right-handers Jason Hirsh and Taylor Buchholz for Jennings and right-hander Miguel Asencio, major-league sources said.

Jennings, 28, will replace left-hander Andy Pettitte in the Astros' rotation. Pettitte, 34, signed a two-year, $32 million free-agent contract with the Yankees last Friday.
The Astros, who still could re-sign free-agent right-hander Roger Clemens, paid a steep price for Jennings, a pitcher with a 4.74 career ERA and only one season of more than 12 wins.
The package is similar to the one that the Astros discussed last week with the White Sox in a proposed trade for right-hander Jon Garland. The quality of the players going to the Rockies will increase the pressure on the Astros to sign Jennings — a free agent at the end of next season — to a long-term contract.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #115
Drbio
Banned

But it is nice to see Jason back in Texas.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #116
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Bit much to give up for him isnt it?

Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #117
Drbio
Banned

Without an extension yes it is. It's quite a bit.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #118
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

lofton is the perfect pickup. It lets us still have a shot at wells next year while still putting an actual major league center fielder out there this year. Also if youve seen how crazy people go after bullpen arms recently having a surplus of bullpen arms is a GREAT thing. Also should the rangers make the playoffs a dominating bullpen has become pretty much the most important factor in a playoff series.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #119
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Newberg Flash:
Quote:
The Rangers have reportedly traded LHP John Danks and RHP Nick Masset to the White Sox for RHP Brandon McCarthy, in an old-fashioned trade of exxtremely highly regarded young pitchers. Also going to Chicago is RHP Jake Rasner, with OF David Paisano coming back to Texas.

Much more in the next Newberg Report.
Um. I don't know anything about McCarthy. But generally I was against trading Danks unless we were getting something proven back...
Old 12-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #120
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

McCarthy is basically as highly regarded as Danks, only about a year or so further ahead. He spent most of last season in the White Sox bullpen and is ready to pitch in a rotation this year.

This has a chance to be great or terrible for either team, as both teams traded highly regarded pitchers with upside, but this fits perfectly with what JD is trying to do. He's trying to win over the next two years, so as to take advantage of the years while Tex and Young are cheap, and also hopefully be successful enough that they'll want to stay.

I'm on board with the idea of the trade. It could turn out great or horrible, but I like the idea behind it. Danks was still a season away from meaningful contributions to this team.

Man, if we get Zito, this team is ready to contend.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-23-2006 at 03:00 PM.