Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #81
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Tim MacMahon = 6th Man?
thread
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #82
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Actually, I just found out where Caron's at. Apparently he's in a driveway somewhere, wearing his suit, listening to 2pac, and being emotional:
and apparently there's a place that sells some sort of egg product in his driveway.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #83
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
i'm pumped we're up 2-0, but we did what we were supposed to do, take care of home court. as we all know, a series doesn't start until a team wins on the road. we need to be that team and at least come back 3-1. we could come back with a sweep too, i'm fine with that
Would love to win in Portland, but you realize this is a completely nonsensical cliche right? The series doesn't start until a road-team wins? So if you have a 7-game series and the home team wins every game, the series never started?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #84
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
They fouled him on drives two or three times, too. That is certainly far from not important. He helps us get in the bonus.
QFT. his drives either resulted in baskets, or fouls. he pretty much single handedly put the blazers in the penalty early in the 4th quarter. i'm pretty sure he got fouled at least 4 times in the 4th. that's huge.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #85
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Would love to win in Portland, but you realize this is a completely nonsensical cliche right? The series doesn't start until a road-team wins? So if you have a 7-game series and the home team wins every game, the series never started?
pretty much....

that's how the saying goes man, i didn't make it up, lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #86
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

It's quite encouraging that the only two things that worry me right now are Kidd's minutes (or the effect on his stamina), which were going to be a concern anyway, and Marion's tentativeness in the first two games. It almost looks like he's afraid of contributing on offense, which is a shame in light of his great games at the end of the regular season.

Other than that, this has been a very good game on many levels. If we could take one of the next two games in Portland, we'd be in a great position to win this series decisively.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #87
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
pretty much....

that's how the saying goes man, i didn't make it up, lol.
I know you didn't. It's just a stupid saying. Not your fault, but it makes me want to slap the person who created it.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #88
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

Am I the only one who thinks Brewer should be getting more playing time?
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #89
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

That game was a hell of a lot of fun. Just a ton of fun.

I love watching Peja burying shots. There's an electricity when a shooter like that releases the ball. I loved that about Reggie too.

Dirk was a stud and I love setting him get positive national exposure. It seems like it's been a while for that.

Kidd's productivity is such a breath of fresh air. I have no idea where this has come from, but I want it to stay.

Haywood and Chandler were both huge. Chandler was fantastic down the stretch and Haywood was really involved and effective defensively.

Jet fell asleep on a few lobs and got caught up in a few picks, but overall he played surprisingly well defensively. Not a good game at all offensively, and I'll continue to say that we're going to need a better Jet to keep moving forward.

My one area of genuine concern is Marion. He's appeared very tentative; he's caught the ball in his normal spots in the lane but looks happy to defer and pass out. It's working out well now, so it's possible that it's part of the game plan, but I'm concerned about his aggressiveness. He didn't even rebound tonight, which is really weird for him.

I love playoff basketball.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #90
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how long we are going to continue to get this kind of offensive output from Kidd, but it sure is fun to watch him turn back the clock. Given that he's the last childhood hero I have left in the sports world, it's been a little rough watching him slip this season. So seeing that he's still got a little bit of magic left in him has been my favorite part of this playoff run thus far.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #91
LonghornDub

Bryan is tearing up this presser. Hahaha. Love it.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #92
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bulls/Pacers 1998 - never happened.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #93
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I don't know how long we are going to continue to get this kind of offensive output from Kidd, but it sure is fun to watch him turn back the clock. Given that he's the last childhood hero I have left in the sports world, it's been a little rough watching him slip this season. So seeing that he's still got a little bit of magic left in him has been my favorite part of this playoff run thus far.
But...Dirk taught him to shoot!

Dirk needs to be locked in the gym with Haywood.

I'm telling you, I'm real surprised Nate hasn't started intentionally fouling him yet. Someone will, if we go deep.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #94
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Bulls/Pacers 1998 - never happened.
'06 Finals started when it ended, too.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #95
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Barea had a terrible game 1 and he was terrible until the 4th quarter, im still not sold on him. I hope he can continue in Portland what he did in the 4th
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #96
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing is that Kidd hasn't played 35 minutes in any game. And Dirk hasn't reached 40 yet. The Blazers basically played with a 7-man rotation tonight as they aren't high on Roy right now. That means every starter of the Blazers automatically logs in 35+ and virtually has to deal with 2 Mavericks. That's huge in my eyes and I think shows late in the game where we are at our best and they are depleted.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #97
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know you didn't. It's just a stupid saying. Not your fault, but it makes me want to slap the person who created it.
The saying is intended to mean that unless a road team wins a game, you are always still where you started--which, carried out to its extreme, means that the HCA favorite will win the series, even if it takes a long time.

Trust me, I know it well, because I lived through it. That series against the Lakers in '88 was both thrilling and excruciating. We held serve every time at Reunion, but we couldn't win one at the Forum. And a couple weeks later, after that Game Seven, they went ahead and said that the series was over.

I couldn't help but feel that we could have gone on matching them home game for home game. But if you are the road team, you can't win unless you get one in their place...just like you can't finish something that you don't start.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #98
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I'm telling you, I'm real surprised Nate hasn't started intentionally fouling him yet. Someone will, if we go deep.
Pop will do it. I don't know if Nate will. Don't think Phil will. At least not much.

But if we make the WCF and face the Spurs, Rick will need to come up with something. Dunno what. Maybe switch around the rotation a bit so Haywood is only in when we're unlikely to be in the penalty.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #99
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

I agree. I was shocked that they didn't do it in the fourth after they picked up four early fouls.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #100
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Barea had a terrible game 1 and he was terrible until the 4th quarter, im still not sold on him. I hope he can continue in Portland what he did in the 4th

I don't need to be sold on him - I just need him to continue defying expectations like tonight...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-20-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #101
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk "he's played for 25 years" about Kidd, lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #102
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Major props to Peja...he hit some big 3-pointers!!
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #103
LonghornDub

Quote:
The saying is intended to mean that unless a road team wins a game, you are always still where you started--which, carried out to its extreme, means that the HCA favorite will win the series, even if it takes a long time.
I'm not really interested in arguing the semantics of the dumb saying anymore, but needless to say, you're not "where you started" just because the home team has won every game. I'm betting that right before Game 6 began, the Heat weren't thinking, "Gee, we're still where we started!"

Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #104
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

4th Quarter = Fuck You Mode for Dirk.

Crowd tonight was better than it was during the Finals.
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #105
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Unfortunately, I think you are right about the last part. I honestly don't know why more coaches haven't done it to be honest.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #106
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
'06 Finals started when it ended, too.
wait.. maybe it's "a series is never over until a team wins on the road"

and yes, i realize it can still be over, haha
Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #107
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not really interested in arguing the semantics of the dumb saying anymore, but needless to say, you're not "where you started" just because the home team has won every game. I'm betting that right before Game 6 began, the Heat weren't thinking, "Gee, we're still where we started!"
The 2-3-2 Finals format is different, of course. But it still remains that the team without HCA can't win the series unless it wins a road game. What am I missing here?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #108
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I have arrived home, and you're welcome. I willed them to victory.

No...wait.... that was Dirk in the 4th quarter.

What an AWESOME night to be in the building cheering my ass off.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #109
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Pop will do it. I don't know if Nate will. Don't think Phil will. At least not much.

But if we make the WCF and face the Spurs, Rick will need to come up with something. Dunno what. Maybe switch around the rotation a bit so Haywood is only in when we're unlikely to be in the penalty.
Yeah just put him in at the start of quarters. He'll still get hacked when he goes for a shot, but at least it'll get the Mavs closer to the penalty.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #110
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:

but i'm not so sure the spurs will be in the WCF at this point.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #111
LonghornDub

Quote:
The 2-3-2 Finals format is different, of course. But it still remains that the team without HCA can't win the series unless it wins a road game. What am I missing here?
Nothing. That's absolutely correct. But it's also not how the saying goes. Sounds to me like the saying should be, "A series can never be over for the non-HCA team until that team wins on the road."

Just doesn't pack quite the same rhetorical punch, though.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #112
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bryan is tearing up this presser. Hahaha. Love it.
To quote Dirk, "I felt like I needed to flex for these mo-fos."
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #113
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Nothing. That's absolutely correct. But it's also not how the saying goes. Sounds to me like the saying should be, "A series can never be over for the non-HCA team until that team wins on the road."

Just doesn't pack quite the same rhetorical punch, though.
I think it's because a seven-game series where both teams hold serve is relatively rare. It's far, far more likely that the series winner took a game on the road (particularly since the team without HCA necessarily had to in order to win).
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #114
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Featured comment on ESPN:
"Dirk >>>>> Blazers.” -- TropicThunder813

That's more like it :>
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #115
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

oh yeah 1 more thing, 0 turnovers in second half was huge
Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #116
CadBane
Banned

Love this comment from a Portland fan.

"During every playoff series i think why don’t we send Earl Barron out there or that last big man on the bench and start a fight with the other teams best player. Getting Dirk suspeneded might be the only way we win a game in this series anyways."
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #117
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Rice (color commentator for the Blazers) is such an idiot.

During the 4th quarter he said something to the effect of "I wonder if Jason Kidd and Peja are going to go buy lotto tickets after the game"

Yeah.. because those guys haven't hit any 3s in their careers. Give me a break.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-20-2011 at 12:43 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #118
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post

During the 4th quarter he said something to the effect of "I wonder if Jason Kidd and Peja are going to go buy lotto tickets after the game"

Especially Peja, who has ALWAYS been a high % shooter. One of the best pure shooters ever.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #119
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

MMB recap up.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/4/...e-nba-playoffs

Quote:
For the Trail Blazers, any attempt to completely stop Dirk Nowitzki was misguided, to say the least. Instead, the containment plan was used, and was greatly effective...for 45 minutes. And then it was closing time, and it was all over.

Dirk contributed all eleven Maverick points in the final 3:36 of the fourth quarter, starting with back to back field goals that gave the Mavericks a double digit lead while forcing Nate McMillan to use a timeout, as the game was wrenched from Portland's grasp. The German assassin had struggled through much of the previous three quarters, and even parts of the early fourth, shooting just 6/18 before his eruption late. But it appeared to just be a matter of time, and when it counted the most, Dirk came through in front of an emotionally charged American Airlines Center crowd, featuring both his father and his mentor Holger Geschwindner, and carried the Mavericks with his 33 points.

The Mavericks trailed by two at the end of the first quarter, and again at the half. However, thanks to a nine point outburst by Jason Kidd at the start of the 2nd half, the Mavericks were able to take the lead and hold it the rest of the game. Fans and analysts alike dismissed his 24 point Game 1 on 9/14 shooting as an anomaly, not to be repeated, but Kidd delivered for the second game in a row with 18 points for the game.

Early in the fourth quarter with the shot clock at one, a corner three pointer was drained by Marcus Camby, who had just sixteen total makes in his fifteen seasons in the NBA, and none for the Blazers. This brought them within two, and appeared as if it could be a momentum shifter. However, Dirk answered with a catch and shoot mid range jumper with no hesitation, and Peja Stojakovic followed with a three pointer on the next possession, neutralizing Portland's last real threat

read more...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #120
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post

dude. come on. it's not like they're the #3 and #4 all time in 3pt baskets made or anything.

Tags
2-0 bitches, oh yeah! dig it! yeah!