Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will our record be at the trade deadline?
28-27 or 29-26 (15-1 or 16-0) 1 9.09%
26-29 or 27-28 (13-3 or 14-2) 0 0%
24-31 or 25-30(11-5 or 12-4) 1 9.09%
22-33 or 23-28 (9-7 or 10-6) 2 18.18%
20-35 or 21-26 (7-9 or 8-8) 3 27.27%
18-37 or 19-28 (5-11 or 6-10) 3 27.27%
16-39 or 17-30 (3-13 or 4-12) 1 9.09%
14-41 or 15-40 (1-15 or 2-14) 0 0%
13-42 (0-16) 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #81
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #82
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

2-5 overall

0-2 to start the seven game run of winning teams
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #83
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Right now they’d be 4th in the lotto. The best thing that is happening is that Trae Young seems to be creeping into the top 5. Could go as high as 2 to Atlanta, hell Atlanta could take him #1 if they end up with the top pick. Orlando is another team that could take him that high. I really think the Mavs will end up somewhere between 2-4. So they should have a legit shot at Ayton, Bagley, and Doncic and will definitely have a shot at Bamba, especially if Young is drafted by Atlanta or Orlando.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #84
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
Right now they’d be 4th in the lotto. The best thing that is happening is that Trae Young seems to be creeping into the top 5. Could go as high as 2 to Atlanta, hell Atlanta could take him #1 if they end up with the top pick. Orlando is another team that could take him that high. I really think the Mavs will end up somewhere between 2-4. So they should have a legit shot at Ayton, Bagley, and Doncic and will definitely have a shot at Bamba, especially if Young is drafted by Atlanta or Orlando.
Creeping? Dude is stomping into the top 5. He's averaging 30pts 10ast on almost 50%/40%/90% and took a team with almost no talent other than him to #11. 50/40/90 is basically unheard of at any level and Trae is close.

But yeah, the draft landscape is changing and there are at least 4-6 top-tier guys in this draft to be had. Really hoping we can stick in the top 5 for sure.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-22-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #85
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Creeping? Dude is stomping into the top 5. He's averaging 30pts 10ast on almost 50%/40%/90% and took a team with almost no talent other than him to #11. 50/40/90 is basically unheard of at any level and Trae is close.

But yeah, the draft landscape is changing and there are at least 4-6 top-tier guys in this draft to be had. Really hoping we can stick in the top 5 for sure.
His turnovers have also been rising. I hope those teams that may draft ahead of us realize that is due to having next to nothing to work with on that team. What's a good source to compare his usage rate across top PGs and top draft guys? It's gotta be sky high.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #86
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
So why does either Orlando or Atlanta take a pg that high?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #87
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
So why does either Orlando or Atlanta take a pg that high?
Atlanta makes too much sense to take a big or a forward type, plus they have Schroeder who has played well. Orlando is more doable as I don't see Payton as their long term answer at PG. They just took Isaac last year and have decent bigs. I could see them wanting a prospect like Young, though I'd put that as less likely than Me.B is suggesting.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #88
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody interested in a deal for Gary Harris? He’s not a good rebounder, and only an OK playmaker, but he’s a good athlete and defender and scores efficiently. Plus, he’s young and has looked pretty good this year. He has a 4 year/ 84 million dollar deal that begins next year, so maybe we get Nugs to include a pick.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #89
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Atlanta makes too much sense to take a big or a forward type, plus they have Schroeder who has played well. Orlando is more doable as I don't see Payton as their long term answer at PG. They just took Isaac last year and have decent bigs. I could see them wanting a prospect like Young, though I'd put that as less likely than Me.B is suggesting.
ATL is in full rebuild and I know they have had discussions in the past about trading Schroeder. They could move him for other assets.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #90
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
ATL is in full rebuild and I know they have had discussions in the past about trading Schroeder. They could move him for other assets.
Possibly. I think at this point, however, if Ayton and Bagley were available, Atlanta is taking them over Young. Things can definitely change up until the draft, but that's how I see it. Hopefully Schroeder and the Hawks continue to play well so we can make the decision easier for them
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #91
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Anybody interested in a deal for Gary Harris? He’s not a good rebounder, and only an OK playmaker, but he’s a good athlete and defender and scores efficiently. Plus, he’s young and has looked pretty good this year. He has a 4 year/ 84 million dollar deal that begins next year, so maybe we get Nugs to include a pick.
Are you saying as a straight salary dump? It’d be awfully tempting. Harris is a really good 3 and D guy and is only 23. i think there may be bargains to be had in this upcoming FA class so maybe rather wait and try to get, say Will Barton for $10-12m per and pocket the extra 8-10m for another player. Lots of Centers- maybe we get Barton and our starting C for the cost of Harris. Harris is a really good young player and we are likely to NOT select a SG in the draft. So on the other hand Bamba or Jaren Jackson, Barnes, Harris, DSJ is a really nice 26 and under core. Hmmmm. Ok if it’s basically something like Yogi, Devin, McRoberts and a 2nd it’s a yes. But they can probably get real assets for him I’d imagine

Last edited by mac222b; 01-22-2018 at 09:14 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #92
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

17 days
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #93
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

No idea what the Mavs could offer that the Bulls would accept, but if we remember back to Bobby Portis cleaning Nikola Mirotic's clock for him, there were several rumors Mirotic demanded the Bulls trade either him or Portis once it became possible in mid-January.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #94
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

3-5

Next stop, Houston Wednesday (watch out for the trolls) and then a +.500 B2B fri/sat
Old 01-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

7 more games until the trade deadline.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #96
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Plz trade: (Any of) Noel, McBob, JJB, Wes
Plz acquire: picks

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #97
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
No idea what the Mavs could offer that the Bulls would accept, but if we remember back to Bobby Portis cleaning Nikola Mirotic's clock for him, there were several rumors Mirotic demanded the Bulls trade either him or Portis once it became possible in mid-January.
Wanted Bobby when we took Justin Anderson. I think he is perfect for Rick's system as a 4 who can play some D and stretch the floor. I'm also a little biased as an Arkansas alum.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #98
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

I like our boys in blue

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #99
Underdog

Sources: Cavs working to trade for Kings guard George Hill
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ng-george-hill
Quote:
Sacramento has to clear a roster spot to take on one or two additional players in a deal with Cleveland and has been discussing deals for young forwards Malachi Richardson and Skal Labissiere to clear roster spots, league sources said.

@fishsports: Source tonite to DallasBasketball.com - #Kings have contacted #Mavs re being 3rd team to help Trade George Hill to #Cavs

@ZCunninghamNBA: Could the #Mavs land Skal Labissiere from the #Kings when Sacramento/Cleveland complete their trade?

Could the Mavericks be a landing spot for Skal Labissiere?
http://dallassportsfanatic.com/?p=36395
Quote:
Dallas is perfectly set up, due to its $13 million in cap space, to be a third-team facilitator for other potential trades. The Mavericks have touched base with Charlotte about helping to potentially find Kemba Walker a new home should the Hornets wish to trade away their franchise point guard.

That situation, though it’s not confirmed if the Mavericks have any actual interest, would seem to apply to the pending Cavaliers/Kings trade which, sources say, “is on the 1-yard line.”

Last edited by Underdog; 01-23-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #100
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Is that kid any good? Looks decent from stats, but we'd have to move Powell in the process. Not enough minutes at the 4/5.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #101
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Five PG lineup confirmed:

Kemba
Harris
Smith
Yogi
Barea

Curry subbing in when he's healthy

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-23-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #102
Underdog

Quote:
Why in god's name would we be interested in another PG?

Edit: duh, we don't have enough PGs to field a five-man squad. So far we've only been playing with three PGs at a time.
What? There's nothing about a PG coming to Dallas... We're looking at a PF/C.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #103
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What? There's nothing about a PG coming to Dallas... We're looking at a PF/C.
Reading comprehension is hard for me. Sorry, I read Fish talk about our interest in Kemba earlier and combined the two into us trying to get Kemba instead of facilitating Kemba.

Also, why do we want a PF, again?

Also also, if we're just facilitating three-ways, we're looking at second rounders and guys who have fallen out of the rotation at best. My expectations are very low.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-23-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #104
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Is that kid any good? Looks decent from stats, but we'd have to move Powell in the process. Not enough minutes at the 4/5.
Dunno much about him, really... He was a 5-Star recruit at Kentucky, was the 28th overall pick in the 2016 draft, and became the youngest Kings player ever to record a 30/10 game. Sounds like he's been pretty inconsistent so far -- he can score and rebound, but his defense could still use some improvement. Although it looks like he has pretty good footwork and awareness, plus he seems to be a willing learner. There could be some potential here.

Maybe there's a Powell trade in the works? Maybe McBob/Noel get shipped and make room for Skal/Motley?

Last edited by Underdog; 01-23-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #105
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Dunno much about him, really... He was a 5-Star recruit at Kentucky, was the 28th overall pick in the 2016 draft, and became the youngest Kings player ever to record a 30/10 game. Sounds like he's been pretty inconsistent so far -- he can score and rebound, but his defense could still use some improvement. But it looks like he has pretty good footwork and awareness, plus he seems to be a willing learner. There could be some potential here.

Maybe there's a Powell trade in the works? Maybe McBob/Noel get shipped and make room for Skal/Motley?
Skal's rebounding has not been amazing. When you adjust for number of available rebounds and who he plays with, his rebounding rate is only 28th best among PFs. Powell and Dirk have both rebounded at a better rate/percentage. Maybe that's his inconsistent/inconsistent playing time. His blocking-out is only average and his slight frame means that he get muscled for rebounds a lot.

Defense is terrible, but so is Powell's. He isn't much worse in that category.

Offense is what intrigues me. He has the athleticism of Powell, but actually has some inside moves other than lobs. He's got some old-school hooks and post moves with fairly developed footwork for 21. I could see him playing well with Smith and could get some interesting looks with us and he does have a decent jumper with range up to about 15'. If we're willing to develop him, he could be special on offense. Reminds me a lot of Brandan Wright.

Seems like a decent project. Has a higher ceiling and more time to learn at 21 to Powell's 26. I just don't see both of them co-existing, particularly with Dirk, Barnes, and Kleber all pulling down significant minutes at the PF spot. Maybe if we trade some folks?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-23-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #106
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

A fair question is whether Fish has actually ever broken a story that came true regarding the Mavs. He has insights and rumors and tigers oh my, but too many times he's being fed smokescreens since he basically has a stake in the Mavs.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-23-2018 at 10:56 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #107
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
A fair question is whether Fish has actually ever broken a story that came true regarding the Mavs. He has insights and rumors and tigers oh my, but too many times he's being fed smokescreens since he basically has a stake in the Mavs.
Literally the only thing Fish has done here is claim that Sacto has contacted the Mavs... Everything else is Cunningham spitballing how Dallas could help facilitate a trade between the Kings and Cavs (which both teams seem to be extremely interested in).

Last edited by Underdog; 01-23-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #108
Underdog

@ZCunninghamNBA: Apparently, Labissiere was not included in talks between #Mavs/#Kings last night.

“Work ethic” questions.

Per @fishsports, #Mavs eyeing SAC’s 31st pick in 2018 draft as reason to get involved.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-24-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #109
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Fishy, but I’m hopeful. That’s exactly what we should be looking for

Second rounders are probably best case this year and a 31 would be best of the best
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #110
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

The Phoenix Suns could trade Greg Monroe for Nerlens Noel
https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/01/...-nerlens-noel/

Makes no sense, but a rumor out of my hometown.

McRoberts and Noel for Monroe
Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #111
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people are shopping their overpaid, underachieving middle-of-the-road guys. We need to be careful not to take the bait without draft picks involved. This means erring on the side of caution with guys like Rodney Hood and Gary Harris IMO.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #112
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
A lot of people are shopping their overpaid, underachieving middle-of-the-road guys. We need to be careful not to take the bait without draft picks involved. This means erring on the side of caution with guys like Rodney Hood and Gary Harris IMO.
And Monroe.

I think Monroe would make us better, but not playoff better and may actually hurt the pick this summer. At least he's expiring.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-24-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #113
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

15 days
Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #114
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And Monroe.

I think Monroe would make us better, but not playoff better and may actually hurt the pick this summer. At least he's expiring.
If Monroe was 5 years younger, I'd be totally on board with getting him, deficiencies aside.... but I assume if we were to trade for him it would be with the intention to buy him out. Maybe we get the Suns 2nd-rounder or something along the way.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #115
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
If Monroe was 5 years younger, I'd be totally on board with getting him, deficiencies aside.... but I assume if we were to trade for him it would be with the intention to buy him out. Maybe we get the Suns 2nd-rounder or something along the way.
I think you're right on with this assessment. Good call.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #116
Underdog

Exclamation

@TheSteinLine: It would take a first-round pick to get him, because Dallas sees him as one of its culture-setters, but league sources say that the Mavs would part with Wes Matthews before the Feb. 8 trade deadline if they can get a first in return

Last edited by Underdog; 01-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #117
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@TheSteinLine: It would take a first-round pick to get him, because Dallas sees him as one of its culture-setters, but league sources say that the Mavs would part with Wes Matthews before the Feb. 8 trade deadline if they can get a first in return

An early second?

How many GMs in the league are dumb/desperate enough? Thibs, Van Gundy, LeBron, Grunfeld? I'd say the chances are slim. And we'd have to take back salary- which is fine, depending on where the pick lands and how long the contract.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #118
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Philadelphia makes some sense. They could sit Reddick for Wes when they want to improve defense or sit Covington for Wes when they want improved offense. They're in a fight in the East and could still end up anywhere between 3rd and out of the playoffs.

Maybe a return to Portland makes sense. Not sure if Wes left there on bad terms and wouldn't consider going back.

Miami is a good fit too. I could potentially see Indiana and the Clippers having interest. Maybe even the Bucks or another contender you wouldn't think of, like San Antonio or Houston. Might even see the Nuggets or Pistons have interest, which would be the best case scenario for the Mavs, but I doubt either of those organizations wants to deal a projected top 15 pick in this year's draft for Wes. They both could be sellers in a few weeks too.

I'll say this in this year's draft I'm even excited about the Mavs drafting at the top of the 2nd round, so another 1st round pick? Yes, please!
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #119
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I'll say this in this year's draft I'm even excited about the Mavs drafting at the top of the 2nd round, so another 1st round pick? Yes, please!
You are still not guaranteed to get a star/starter out of the second round, but I'd wager $20 that we see at least 4-5 starters come out of the second round this year and another 2-3 stars/starters go undrafted. Even in 2004, which could have been the worst draft class in history, we got Ariza and Varejao out of the second round. I really hope we both take the second round seriously (not just undrafted guys) and that we try to get more second rounders if given the opportunity and the price is right.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-25-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #120
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Philadelphia makes some sense. They could sit Reddick for Wes when they want to improve defense or sit Covington for Wes when they want improved offense. They're in a fight in the East and could still end up anywhere between 3rd and out of the playoffs.

Maybe a return to Portland makes sense. Not sure if Wes left there on bad terms and wouldn't consider going back.

Miami is a good fit too. I could potentially see Indiana and the Clippers having interest. Maybe even the Bucks or another contender you wouldn't think of, like San Antonio or Houston. Might even see the Nuggets or Pistons have interest, which would be the best case scenario for the Mavs, but I doubt either of those organizations wants to deal a projected top 15 pick in this year's draft for Wes. They both could be sellers in a few weeks too.

Of those teams I think Detroit is the most likely. And any deal for Wes involving a 1st we are swallowing some bad salary.

I just think most teams must realize he's not the same player he was in Portland. He still has value but that contract hurts. It helps that the Clippers are playing well because it means there's a chance they are hesitant to trade Sweet Lou. Very different players and arguably Wes helps Cleveland more than Lou does. But no one was talking up Wes for an all-star spot. Lou Williams is an infinitely better player than Wes, defensive warts and all, at this point and the best the Clippers can likely fetch for him is a pick in the 20's