Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-13-2003, 09:18 PM   #81
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default dirk, fin, and nash's numbers..playoffs compared to regular season

why are you saying exactly to lvubun?
it's not like he even attempted to validate anything that you said..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #82
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
van exels been in the league longer than dirk has and has hit many more big shots in his career than dirk has. however i expect that to change considering the potential dirk possesses... he is not a superstar yet, but if he is.. then van exel is too because van exel had done as much as dirk did in this past years playoffs... IMO ... with that being said, they both played great in this years playoffs..
this is something you'll live with for the rest of your time here on the board. I will make sure of that. You will never live this statement down. I really find it difficult to believe that anyone could actually believe what you said. Personally, I have pity for you.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]...murph murph murph.... There was a bit of sarcasm in that post, but yea i said what i said. I believe that both nick and dirk at this moment are stars in this league.. Superstars? No, not yet. But this statement sums it up, "van exels been in the league longer than dirk has and has hit many more big shots in his career than dirk has. however i expect that to change considering the potential dirk possesses" I believe and expect Dirk will be a superstar eventually. He is not on the level of other superstars in this league yet, such as KG, TD, Shaq, Tmac, Kobe, AI.... Those guys are superstars.. KG with the supporting cast he had.. the twolves were basically 'team garnett'.... TD is a superstar no doubt about it... shaq and kobe got them rings... Tmac brought his team of scrubs to the playoffs.. team tmac... and A.I. is remarkable.. little guy scoring like he does is very difficult... brung his sixers to the finals one year and beat the unbeatable lakers in the first game. Something ill live with for the rest of my time on this board?? OHH NOOO!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Why have pity for me? [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img] cause i dont worship dirk?
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:29 PM   #83
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: dirk, fin, and nash's numbers..playoffs compared to regular season

So Dirk is not a superstar just because he isn't surrounded by scrubs?

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:29 PM   #84
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Are you trying to get ripped.

Dirk is of course a better player then AI, and he is a superstar.

lvuban, I did love Nick, but I changed when the trade happened, and the Mavs got a flat out better deal. Im just saying that the Mavs trade was benficial.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #85
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no, there wasn't sarcasm. you're simply trying to backtrack
Old 10-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #86
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz

no because he hasnt elevated his game to superstar status YET!.. like shaq, td, kobe, A.I. and co.
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #87
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
no, there wasn't sarcasm. you're simply trying to backtrack

If you say so murph..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #88
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Lvubun no one said Nick is not a good player, and I appreciate the way he was able to adjust his attitude and take a reserve role seriously, but it its really ridiculous the amount of people
(not on this board of course) who consider Nick the "heart" of the Mavs or the Mavs "best" player when he was not even the best PG on the Mavs. Nicks trade value was higher than his oncourt value from a Mavs standpoint, so we traded him.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:51 PM   #89
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
Originally posted by: one long blue sock

lvuban, I did love Nick, but I changed when the trade happened, and the Mavs got a flat out better deal. Im just saying that the Mavs trade was benficial.
No, im not trying to get ripped. How is he of course a better player than AI? He should be, but it remains to be seen. Hopefully this year will show that. How you could you love a plyer, then change your mind once he's traded? Even if the mavs did get a better deal, it doesnt make sense..

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 09:52 PM   #90
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: one long blue sock

Ok, thats what I don't get. Nothing is wrong with liking the trade, everybody likes the trade but one day you liked him then the next day all of sudden you no longer don't?
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:53 PM   #91
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
Lvubun no one said Nick is not a good player, and I appreciate the way he was able to adjust his attitude and take a reserve role seriously, but it its really ridiculous the amount of people
(not on this board of course) who consider Nick the "heart" of the Mavs or the Mavs "best" player when he was not even the best PG on the Mavs. Nicks trade value was higher than his oncourt value from a Mavs standpoint, so we traded him.
Sooo i guess c-webb, kg, greg pops, the blazer team, and a bunch of other nba affiliates or players are just talking out their butt huh? But you are right though, his trade value was high, so the mavs capitalized...

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 09:55 PM   #92
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty
Quote:
Quote:
van exels been in the league longer than dirk has and has hit many more big shots in his career than dirk has. however i expect that to change considering the potential dirk possesses... he is not a superstar yet, but if he is.. then van exel is too because van exel had done as much as dirk did in this past years playoffs... IMO ... with that being said, they both played great in this years playoffs..
this is something you'll live with for the rest of your time here on the board. I will make sure of that. You will never live this statement down. I really find it difficult to believe that anyone could actually believe what you said. Personally, I have pity for you.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]...murph murph murph.... There was a bit of sarcasm in that post, but yea i said what i said. I believe that both nick and dirk at this moment are stars in this league.. Superstars? No, not yet. But this statement sums it up, "van exels been in the league longer than dirk has and has hit many more big shots in his career than dirk has. however i expect that to change considering the potential dirk possesses" I believe and expect Dirk will be a superstar eventually. He is not on the level of other superstars in this league yet, such as KG, TD, Shaq, Tmac, Kobe, AI.... Those guys are superstars.. KG with the supporting cast he had.. the twolves were basically 'team garnett'.... TD is a superstar no doubt about it... shaq and kobe got them rings... Tmac brought his team of scrubs to the playoffs.. team tmac... and A.I. is remarkable.. little guy scoring like he does is very difficult... brung his sixers to the finals one year and beat the unbeatable lakers in the first game. Something ill live with for the rest of my time on this board?? OHH NOOO!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Why have pity for me? [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img] cause i dont worship dirk?
[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 09:56 PM   #93
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Sooo i guess c-webb, kg, greg pops, the blazer team, and a bunch of other nba affiliates or players are just talking out their butt huh?
i'm not sure what they said..frankly, i don't care. whatever they said, i'm sure it was in reference to just this post season and in no way backs up 90% of your comments.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #94
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lvubun1
That is pretty much my problem. I agree with what most people are saying, I do think the media might be overplaying him a little. But what I don't like is how during the playoffs everybody was on his(for a lack of a better word) nuts and when he got traded everybody turned on him like he raped your mother. I have no problems with Murph, Bayliss and the rest of those guys because they hated Nick before the playoffs, during the playoffs and after the playoffs. But alot of the people who are getting on the new guy and Nick in general were the same ones who were in love with him just a couple months ago. LRB you were one of the main ones arguing with Murphy that Nick was the playoff MVP and NOT Dirk.

Bottom line is for all the people who did a '180 their are two reasons. #1 You didn't feel NVE was the playoff MVP at the time but since everyone else was saying it, it sounded cool and you jumped on the bangwagon. #2 You did feel NVE was the playoff MVP but after he was traded everybody dumped on him and said that he wasn't, it sounded cool so you jumped on the bandwagon.
Yes Lvubun1 I did hype NVE for Playoff MVP before the San Antonio series. I did so a lot for the F'em attitude he gave the team, and he did come up huge in some series deciding games. I like NVE, and I think he was an asset to the Mavs. But he had liabilities. A lot of those because we didn't have our talent evenly distrubited by position, which wasn't Nicks fault. The trade helped us. I hate to see Nick go, but noway GS does the trade without getting Nick. And the Mavs are just flatout better after the trade.

Just because I point out some of NVE's flaws, doesn't mean I don't like him or don't appreciate what he did for the Mavs.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:00 PM   #95
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
Quote:
Sooo i guess c-webb, kg, greg pops, the blazer team, and a bunch of other nba affiliates or players are just talking out their butt huh?
i'm not sure what they said..frankly, i don't care. whatever they said, i'm sure it was in reference to just this post season and in no way backs up 90% of your comments.
"I'm not sure what they said" says murph.. then dont respond like you know...

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #96
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 PM   #97
Lvubun1

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
Lvubun no one said Nick is not a good player,
I never said that anybody said that. Of course NVE is a good player, if you believe otherwise you don't know basketball very well.

[/quote]and I appreciate the way he was able to adjust his attitude and take a reserve role seriously, but it its really ridiculous the amount of people
(not on this board of course) who consider Nick the "heart" of the Mavs or the Mavs "best" player when he was not even the best PG on the Mavs. Nicks trade value was higher than his oncourt value from a Mavs standpoint, so we traded him.[/quote]

Thank you thats my point, WE were the ones that were saying "Nick is the MVP" but when it no longer became fashionable people jumped off the bangwagon. WE were the ones that said it first, not the media

Link
Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 PM   #98
Murphy3
Guru

drtyflthynasty, if you'd actually like to discuss the merit's of your statements concerning NVE, I would be happy to do so.

However, attempting to draw me into some type of verbal confrontation with your insults will not work. If you'd like to stay on subject and address what has been discussed, we can do that. As it is, you've already ruined a thread discussing dirk/fin/nash.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #99
Lvubun1

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
That is pretty much my problem. I agree with what most people are saying, I do think the media might be overplaying him a little. But what I don't like is how during the playoffs everybody was on his(for a lack of a better word) nuts and when he got traded everybody turned on him like he raped your mother. I have no problems with Murph, Bayliss and the rest of those guys because they hated Nick before the playoffs, during the playoffs and after the playoffs. But alot of the people who are getting on the new guy and Nick in general were the same ones who were in love with him just a couple months ago. LRB you were one of the main ones arguing with Murphy that Nick was the playoff MVP and NOT Dirk.

Bottom line is for all the people who did a '180 their are two reasons. #1 You didn't feel NVE was the playoff MVP at the time but since everyone else was saying it, it sounded cool and you jumped on the bangwagon. #2 You did feel NVE was the playoff MVP but after he was traded everybody dumped on him and said that he wasn't, it sounded cool so you jumped on the bandwagon.
Yes Lvubun1 I did hype NVE for Playoff MVP before the San Antonio series. I did so a lot for the F'em attitude he gave the team, and he did come up huge in some series deciding games. I like NVE, and I think he was an asset to the Mavs. But he had liabilities. A lot of those because we didn't have our talent evenly distrubited by position, which wasn't Nicks fault. The trade helped us. I hate to see Nick go, but noway GS does the trade without getting Nick. And the Mavs are just flatout better after the trade.

Just because I point out some of NVE's flaws, doesn't mean I don't like him or don't appreciate what he did for the Mavs.
I respect that, and agree.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #100
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

no because he hasnt elevated his game to superstar status YET!.. like shaq, td, kobe, A.I. and co.
Dirk ranked 6th in the NBA in scoring last season and 7th in rebounding. that means he:
out-rebounded kobe, shaq, A.I. and T-mac
and outscored Duncan and KG...
and who is "and co." because I'll gladly dig up their numbers and compare.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:12 PM   #101
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
drtyflthynasty, if you'd actually like to discuss the merit's of your statements concerning NVE, I would be happy to do so.

However, attempting to draw me into some type of verbal confrontation with your insults will not work. If you'd like to stay on subject and address what has been discussed, we can do that. As it is, you've already ruined a thread discussing dirk/fin/nash.
sure, concerning what?

what verbal confrontation?? where you pm'ed me and called me an idiot?? I didnt mean to get off topic, but certain threads i clik on is disrespecting nick, i found it funny considering we were all for him a few months ago...

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #102
Murphy3
Guru

another thing...discussing things in threads that were said in PM is pretty much sctrictly forbidden on the site
Old 10-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #103
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dirk ranked 6th in the NBA in scoring last season and 7th in rebounding. that means he:
out-rebounded kobe, shaq, A.I. and T-mac
and outscored Duncan and KG...
and who is "and co." because I'll gladly dig up their numbers and compare.

He better outrebound those guys. Kobe AI and Tmac arent expected to outboard dirk, but shaq. Wow thats impressive.
outscoring duncan and KG, very impressive. Yay for dirk.

Great stats, however I dont think that makes him a superstar...

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:15 PM   #104
DrtyFlthyNasty

Quote:
another thing...discussing things in threads that were said in PM is pretty much sctrictly forbidden on the site
ohh i apologize... I thought thats what you were referring to when speaking about verbal confrontations.

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:16 PM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

what exactly makes someone a superstar?

give us your definition
Old 10-13-2003, 10:17 PM   #106
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Then what would make him a superstar?

Old 10-13-2003, 10:19 PM   #107
DrtyFlthyNasty

single handedly carry a team when things get grim in big games. ive seen dirk do it a few times, but i have also seen him look as if he was scared to take certain shots in crucial moments. towards the end of the playoffs before he got injured he looked as if he would get there, we might have won the title if dirk wasnt injured. next year, i will see if the dirk I know he can be shows up..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:21 PM   #108
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i agree that steve is a great pg for this team, however you can't say nick wouldnt be able to run the team as well as or if not better than steve.
Why not? Who's the starter? Who did the coaching staff think was better? Who did the coaches league-wide think was better when the All-Star reserve ballots were cast? Who made the All-NBA team?

I think common sense tells you that Nash runs the team better, and is the better player.

Quote:
oh and btw what stats do you see that make nash the better pg? thnx.
Better shooter from the floor, three point range, and from the line.

More assists. Better assist-to-turnover ratio.

More steals.

Pretty much every stat there is.

Quote:
he had more than a few good games buddy... another one of his streaks?? well he must have them alot because he seems to do them during the playoffs thoughout his career
This has been analyzed thoroughly before, but Nick had ONE good series in the postseason. So yeah, I'd say it was another one of his streaks. It was amazing to watch, but to say that it's more likely than not to occur is, well, denying the percentages.

Quote:
what you are saying and what the stats show is very misleading... yes he is a 40% shooter from the field and 35% from the 3.. however when big games come the percentage sky rockets...
Is that why he shot 37.5% in the SA series, yet took over 2 shots a game more than Finley, who was shooting a sizzling 50%? I'd say Fin showed up in the SA series a heck of a lot more than Nick; Nick just wouldn't give him the ball. (Not so coincidentally, Fin averaged more assists for the series than Nick did).

The Conference Finals are the biggest games the Mavs have played in since the 87-88 season, and Nick's percentages dropped (rather than skyrocketing, as you claimed).

You lose.

Quote:
and yes more often then not he can win you the game...
That's just mathematically untrue.

Quote:
and as we had seen in the playoffs his shot was on more often than it was off.
Again, mathematically untrue.

Quote:
no he was not the worst defender on the mavs last year.
Evidence that you didn't watch him play.

Quote:
and usually teams have big men who actually play d to help their guards out..
Actually, the reverse is true. Most big men have guards to help them out so they don't have to try and challenge every single shot. The Mavs were very porous defensively on the perimeter last year. As that improves, you'll see that the interior defense wasn't so bad after all.

Quote:
stop being unrealistic.. 47-50? if you dont see how he stepped up in big games of the playoffs you never will.. you never did
See the discussion of the San Antonio series above. Nick didn't step up.

Quote:
van exels been in the league longer than dirk has and has hit many more big shots in his career than dirk has. however i expect that to change considering the potential dirk possesses... he is not a superstar yet, but if he is.. then van exel is too because van exel had done as much as dirk did in this past years playoffs...
If Dirk's a superstar, then Nick is too. That's got to rank among the dumbest things I've heard on this board.

Dirk has been on the 2nd team All-NBA for 2 years now, and he got the most votes of anyone on the second team. That means that the voters think he's the sixth best player in the league.

How many votes for that team did Nick get?

Quote:
if you read my previous posts ull see what im basing it on. and yes any knowledgeable nba fan knows Nick is one of the biggest big time players in the league...
Is that why he didn't show up for the San Antonio series? I really like Nick, but I try to be honest about what he is and isn't.

Quote:
I believe and expect Dirk will be a superstar eventually. He is not on the level of other superstars in this league yet, such as KG, TD, Shaq, Tmac, Kobe, AI....
Dirk is not on the level that Shaq and Duncan are. Otherwise, you're way off base.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:22 PM   #109
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

so we're back to the assumption that for Dirk to establish himself as a 'superstar' everyone around him has to suck.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #110
DrtyFlthyNasty

I agree with what some of you have to say and disagree with other things. Good points were made and all my points shot down. Oh well, I gotta go. I cant wait for this season to start already..

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #111
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 PM   #112
Lvubun1

Just to play devil's advacate Nick does average more assist as a starter and does have a better assist/turnover ratio, actually Nick has the best assist/turnover ratio since they started keeping the stat, back in Denver he had a 4.05 assist/turnover while averaging 9.1 assist, a number that hasn't been matched yet.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #113
Lvubun1

Quote:
I agree with what some of you have to say and disagree with other things. Good points were made and all my points shot down. Oh well, I gotta go. I cant wait for this season to start already..
Good, this could have gone on all night.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #114
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just to play devil's advacate Nick does average more assist as a starter and does have a better assist/turnover ratio, actually Nick has the best assist/turnover ratio since they started keeping the stat, back in Denver he had a 4.05 assist/turnover while averaging 9.1 assist, a number that hasn't been matched yet.
Can you post a link to that info? The stats on nba.com that I checked do not substantiate that claim.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:44 AM   #115
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Okay, let's get this thread back on track. The whole point of this thread was to show that Nick is a crunch-time step-it-up-in-the-playoffs player moreso than the big 3. The point is not that he is better than Dirk, or more valuable than Dirk. Your original point, Murphy, was that Nick is the same in the playoffs as in the regular season, so people shouldn't say that he is so great in the playoffs. My counter-point was that if that is true, than the big 3 must be step-it-down players accordingly.
You keep pointing to certain statistics, while ignoring others. Over the last 2 seasons here is what happened from the regular season to the post-season:
Nick:
ppg went up 2 pts
fg% went up 3%!
assists went down by .3
ft% went down slightly
turnovers went down slightly
mpg was about the same

dirk:
ppg up by 1
fg% same
ft% up slightly
mpg up by 3

nash:
ppg down slightly
fg% down by 3%!
ft% about the same
mpg about the same

fin:
all numbers about the same except 3 more mpg

So, what does this tell us? Well, we don't have any cruch-time numbers, so all we have to go by is how much better/worse did they do from the regular season to the playoffs. Looking at these numbers, the most improved player is Nick. Dirk is about the same, although it took him more minutes. Nash's numbers are lower, obviously. Fin's numbers are the same except that it took 3 more minutes to get the same production. It doesn't matter what anybody's numbers were to start with in the regular season. They can always get worse or better in the playoffs. I realize that Nick's fg% was worse in the first place, but the question is whether he and the others "step-it-up" from where they were in the regular season.
In conclusion, Nick "stepped-it-up" more than anybody from the regular season to the playoffs the last 2 years, nothing more nothing less. This does not mean Nick is better, more valuable, or anything else. It just answers the question about whether he "steps-it[up" or is a "big-game" player. This can only mean one of 2 things, Murphy. One, all four of them are "step-it-up" players against superior playoff competition, but Nick moreso. Two, the big 3 are not "step-it-up" players, but Nick is.
Keep in mind that this does not mean I am saying that the big 3 are not good playoff players. As, to who should take the last shot, I concede that it is debatable. I would not mind Nash taking it. I definitely don't want Finley taking it. I don't think Dirk is ready to take it, despite the fact that he plays big in game 7's. I think that Nick is the best choice given that he is the most unstoppable one-on-one player of the four. Just because the other 3 shoot better in the regular season, or for the first 47+ minutes, does not mean that they are the best choice to take the last shot.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:13 AM   #116
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Day1MavsFan, why would you want to focus the discussion so narrowly to just "who stepped up the most?"

The important thing in my opinion is that people aren't aware of how poor Nick's stats were in the regular season... and how unspectacular they were in the playoffs as well. IMO the only thing that Nick brings is the ability to shoot with absolutley no conscience what-so-ever. Now that is rare. But his results aren't any better than the big three. He will just shoot and shoot until he makes it. I think what happens is that when he is hitting it looks like he is clutch... and when he misses and we lose it just looks like bad luck because he looks so confident when he is doing it.

Again.. I will remind you that according to someone on another site that studied this data Dirk's FG% was significantly higher thand Nick's in 4th quarters.. I don't know if this is true, but if it is than that is definitive. to really get to the bottom of this those 4th quarter stats need to be verified.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:48 AM   #117
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Day1MavsFan, why would you want to focus the discussion so narrowly to just "who stepped up the most?"

The important thing in my opinion is that people aren't aware of how poor Nick's stats were in the regular season... and how unspectacular they were in the playoffs as well. IMO the only thing that Nick brings is the ability to shoot with absolutley no conscience what-so-ever. Now that is rare. But his results aren't any better than the big three. He will just shoot and shoot until he makes it. I think what happens is that when he is hitting it looks like he is clutch... and when he misses and we lose it just looks like bad luck because he looks so confident when he is doing it.

Again.. I will remind you that according to someone on another site that studied this data Dirk's FG% was significantly higher thand Nick's in 4th quarters.. I don't know if this is true, but if it is than that is definitive. to really get to the bottom of this those 4th quarter stats need to be verified.
Yep it´s not that hard to "step it up" when you are coming from a plateau of 12.5 points on 41% shooting.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:45 AM   #118
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

It is impressive when a bench player with 12.5 points on 41% shooting, goes on to carry a team with 3 2 time all stars, all who turned out to be pushovers in the leadership department when the playoffs rolled around. Even Nash surprisingly.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:50 AM   #119
Murphy3
Guru

It's depressing that anyone could actually watch the playoffs and come up with the statement that you just made.

but, it is to be expected
Old 10-14-2003, 09:53 AM   #120
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
It is impressive when a bench player with 12.5 points on 41% shooting, goes on to carry a team with 3 2 time all stars, all who turned out to be pushovers in the leadership department when the playoffs rolled around. Even Nash surprisingly.
What's really surprising is that NVE didn't raise his 41% shooting in the playoffs with all the big games he had. I guess you suck in the leadership department if you shoot over 40% in the playoffs.

Tags
dirk