Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #81
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all
Default RE: LaFrentz Vs. Dampier

Raef is a true 4; however, when he played in Dallas he was the only player on the team besides Bradley who stood any sort of chance guarding 5's. He did a pretty good job at it from what I recall. Being a jump shooter does not preclude one from being a center. Bill Laimbeer shot nothing but 3's and he is a 5. I never saw McDyess play the 5 in Denver, though it may have happened. Raef is a good low post offensive player if matched up correctly and given space to work with, just like all other centers. In Dallas, Nellie wanted a center who shot nothing but 3's so that there would be lanes open for the guards in the paint. In my opinion, the only reason Raef was traded was because he was injured and the Mavs panicked, not because he wasn't working out. Nellie basically admitted that the Celtics got the best end of the trade.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #82
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

The problem was not so much that we needed a "good center" because definitions of "center" vary. The problem was that we needed a physical force in the paint, a problem magnified because of past maverick teams' horrible perimeter defense.

Although Raef does certain things well, and can be a decent player in some situations, he was not a physical force or a good man-to-man defender. He has a nice jumper, but the strategy of pulling opposing centers out of the paint didn't work. He couldn't clear the lane on the offensive end, and got pushed around on the defensive end. Raef would be great in a situation where he plays alongside a more physical 4, but that wasn't going to happen here.

The bottom line:
he could shoot-something Dirk does better
he could block-something Bradley does better
he couldn't physically assert himself on either end of the floor-something Dampier does.

If you subsitute a phrase like "physical low post defender" for the vague catch-all "center," this debate looks a little different. Raef may be the latter, but he's definitely not the former, and that's what mavs teams of the past were lacking.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #83
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

The problem was not so much that we needed a "good center" because definitions of "center" vary. The problem was that we needed a physical force in the paint, a problem magnified because of past maverick teams' horrible perimeter defense.

Although Raef does certain things well, and can be a decent player in some situations, he was not a physical force or a good man-to-man defender. He has a nice jumper, but the strategy of pulling opposing centers out of the paint didn't work. He couldn't clear the lane on the offensive end, and got pushed around on the defensive end. Raef would be great in a situation where he plays alongside a more physical 4, but that wasn't going to happen here.

The bottom line:
he could shoot-something Dirk does better
he could block-something Bradley does better
he couldn't physically assert himself on either end of the floor-something Dampier does.

If you subsitute a phrase like "physical low post defender" for the vague catch-all "center," this debate looks a little different. Raef may be the latter, but he's definitely not the former, and that's what mavs teams of the past were lacking.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #84
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:LaFrentz Vs. Dampier

There are certainly plenty of common sense arguments for why Dampier is a better center for the Mavericks than LaFrentz was, but I think the stats really tell the tale.

Picking an arbitrary minute mark, let's look at a comparison of the two centers and the team play when they receive/received more or less than 25 mpg (Raef's 2002-2003 stats used):

<u>When Dampier plays at least 25 minutes</u>
Record: 15-5 (.750)

Mavs FG%: .453
Opp. FG%: .427
Differential: +2.6%

Mavs PPG: 101.6
Opp. PPG: 93.6
Differential: +8.0

Mavs RPG: 45.5
Opp. RPG: 42.5
Differential: +3.0

<u>When Dampier plays fewer than 25 minutes</u>
Record: 5-5 (.500)

Mavs FG%: .417
Opp. FG%: .442
Differential: -2.5%

Mavs PPG: 99.4
Opp. PPG: 98.2
Differential: +1.2

Mavs RPG: 43.9
Opp. RPG: 46.4
Differential: -2.5

<u>When LaFrentz played at least 25 minutes </u>
Record: 18-11 (.621)

Mavs FG%: .448
Opp. FG%: .452
Differential: +0.4%

Mavs PPG: 102.9
Opp. PPG: 100.0
Differential: +2.9

Mavs RPG: 41.1
Opp. RPG: 45.1
Differential: -4.0

<u>When LaFrentz played fewer than 25 minutes</u>
Record: 42-11 (.792)

Mavs FG%: .455
Opp. FG%: .429

Mavs PPG: 103.0
Opp. PPG: 92.6
Differential: +10.4

Mavs RPG: 42.7
Opp. RPG: 45.6
Differential: -2.9

The more Dampier plays, the better the Mavericks score, shoot, rebound, and win. It's a very noticeable difference.

The more LaFrentz played, the less the Mavericks scored, shot, rebounded, and won. It was also a pretty noticeable difference.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #85
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

There are certainly plenty of common sense arguments for why Dampier is a better center for the Mavericks than LaFrentz was, but I think the stats really tell the tale.

Picking an arbitrary minute mark, let's look at a comparison of the two centers and the team play when they receive/received more or less than 25 mpg (Raef's 2002-2003 stats used):

<u>When Dampier plays at least 25 minutes</u>
Record: 15-5 (.750)

Mavs FG%: .453
Opp. FG%: .427

Mavs PPG: 101.6
Opp. PPG: 93.6
Differential: +8.0

Mavs RPG: 45.5
Opp. RPG: 42.5
Differential: +3.0

<u>When Dampier plays fewer than 25 minutes</u>
Record: 5-5 (.500)

Mavs FG%: .417
Opp. FG%: .442
Differential: -2.5%

Mavs PPG: 99.4
Opp. PPG: 98.2
Differential: +1.2

Mavs RPG: 43.9
Opp. RPG: 46.4
Differential: -2.5

Record: 18-11 (.621)

Mavs FG%: .448
Opp. FG%: .452
Differential: +0.4%

Mavs PPG: 102.9
Opp. PPG: 100.0
Differential: +2.9

Mavs RPG: 41.1
Opp. RPG: 45.1

Record: 42-11 (.792)

Mavs FG%: .455
Opp. FG%: .429

Mavs PPG: 103.0
Opp. PPG: 92.6
Differential: +10.4

Mavs RPG: 42.7
Opp. RPG: 45.6
Differential: -2.9

The more Dampier plays, the better the Mavericks score, shoot, rebound, and win. It's a very noticeable difference.

The more LaFrentz played, the less the Mavericks scored, shot, rebounded, and won. It was also a pretty noticeable difference.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #86
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So that says that bradley is better than damp. Since when raef wasn't playing 25 minutes (shawn was).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #87
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So that says that bradley is better than damp. Since when raef wasn't playing 25 minutes (shawn was).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-03-2005, 05:45 PM   #88
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Shawn averaged 22.7 mpg in those games where Raef played less than 25, but I don't know how you can reach that conclusion, particularly since this season hasn't ended.

What the numbers DO tell us, however, is that the team play improves the more often Dampier plays while it deteriorated the more Raef was asked to play.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:45 PM   #89
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Shawn averaged 22.7 mpg in those games where Raef played less than 25, but I don't know how you can reach that conclusion, particularly since this season hasn't ended.

What the numbers DO tell us, however, is that the team play improves the more often Dampier plays while it deteriorated the more Raef was asked to play.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #90
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I remember distinctly Del Harris saying that Raef was our #1 plus/minus player in the 2002/2003 playoffs.

Of course, Dampier has never been to the playoffs, so it's tough to compare.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #91
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I remember distinctly Del Harris saying that Raef was our #1 plus/minus player in the 2002/2003 playoffs.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #92
dude1394
Guru

By your winning percentages. You stated that playing Reaf less than 25 minutes (ergo Shawn played I assumed) whereas when damp plays MORE than 25 minutes they are .750.

The same argument has to go both ways. So in essence you are saying that 22.7 minutes of shawn is better than +25 of damp, arent' you?

I'm trying to determine if you are counting games where raef didn't play at all, especially the 14-0 start which has been greatly attributed to a cushy schedule. I think it does as raef was hurt for that run I believe.

EDIT: I found a site that has the 2002-2003 box scores and it looks like raef played all games that season? So my 14 game comment is incorrect.
Raef log for 2002-2003 [l=http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerlog.htm?yr=2002&ilkid=LAFRERA01[/l]

Old 01-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #93
dude1394
Guru

By your winning percentages. You stated that playing Reaf less than 25 minutes (ergo Shawn played I assumed) whereas when damp plays MORE than 25 minutes they are .750.

The same argument has to go both ways. So in essence you are saying that 22.7 minutes of shawn is better than +25 of damp, arent' you?

I'm trying to determine if you are counting games where raef didn't play at all, especially the 14-0 start which has been greatly attributed to a cushy schedule. I think it does as raef was hurt for that run I believe.

EDIT: I found a site that has the 2002-2003 box scores and it looks like raef played all games that season? So my 14 game comment is incorrect.
Raef log for 2002-2003 [l=http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerlog.htm?yr=2002&ilkid=LAFRERA01[/l]

Old 01-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #94
dude1394
Guru

KG...Can you run the same numbers for raef in 2001 before he was hurt?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #95
dude1394
Guru

Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #96
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape

Yeah, I'd like to see those stats, because his regular season +/- that year was -0.9.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #97
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:

Yeah, I'd like to see those stats, because his regular season +/- that year was -0.9.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #98
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:

If the Mavericks finish this season and the 22.7 minutes of Shawn stats are better than the 25 minutes of Damp stats, I might agree with you. Shawn did have a great year in 2002-2003.

BTW, I did count all of the games, including the games where Raef was out due to injury (and the games where Dampier was out due to injury). That's only fair because it shows whether the team performs better or worse without each guy.

Quote:
Here they are, and I have to admit, they surprised me...

Record: 16-4 (.800)

Mavs FG%: .466
Opp. FG%: .441
Differential: +2.5%

Mavs PPG: 106.8
Opp. PPG: 99.3
Differential: +7.5

Mavs RPG: 44.5
Opp. RPG: 43.8

Record: 41-21 (.661)

Mavs FG%: .461
Opp. FG%: .455
Differential: +0.6%

Mavs PPG: 104.7
Opp. PPG: 101.5
Differential: +3.2

Mavs RPG: 41.9
Opp. RPG: 45.0
Differential: -3.1

The team still wasn't very good defensively and ultimately got crushed inside in the playoffs, but your point about the knee injury is well-taken.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #99
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:

If the Mavericks finish this season and the 22.7 minutes of Shawn stats are better than the 25 minutes of Damp stats, I might agree with you. Shawn did have a great year in 2002-2003.

BTW, I did count all of the games, including the games where Raef was out due to injury (and the games where Dampier was out due to injury). That's only fair because it shows whether the team performs better or worse without each guy.

Quote:
Here they are, and I have to admit, they surprised me...

Record: 16-4 (.800)

Mavs FG%: .466
Opp. FG%: .441
Differential: +2.5%

Mavs PPG: 106.8
Opp. PPG: 99.3
Differential: +7.5

Mavs RPG: 44.5
Opp. RPG: 43.8

Record: 41-21 (.661)

Mavs FG%: .461
Opp. FG%: .455
Differential: +0.6%

Mavs PPG: 104.7
Opp. PPG: 101.5
Differential: +3.2

Mavs RPG: 41.9
Opp. RPG: 45.0
Differential: -3.1

The team still wasn't very good defensively and ultimately got crushed inside in the playoffs, but your point about the knee injury is well-taken.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #100
dude1394
Guru

Something is awry with those because he only played 27 games total. I guess an argument can be made that getting nick/aj/raef versus donnell/juwan was a good, it's hard to seperate them out.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #101
dude1394
Guru

Something is awry with those because he only played 27 games total. I guess an argument can be made that getting nick/aj/raef versus donnell/juwan was a good, it's hard to seperate them out.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #102
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

The difference in those numbers of Raef LaFrentz tell the story of a bad contract - what caused it, and what happened afterwards. In 01-02, he looked like he would work out at center, after a brief audition. They improved with him in the lineup at center, it appeared. So, they gave him the big contract. Then they discovered, to their dismay, that he couldnt hack it after all at center. They won in spite of him in 02-03, and he was no help after all. Ouch.

At that contract price, he was worth it if he had turned out to be a decent center. But, as merely a 4, he becomes grossly overpaid. At least to the Mavs' credit, they were able to ditch his contract onto Boston.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #103
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:

That's not fair, Lafrentz had never been to the playoffs before he came to Dallas.

Here's some more stats

Dallas w/ Lafrentz

Blocks per game: 5.5
Steals per game: 8.1
Opp. fg: .438
Opp. 3pt: .340
Offensive rpg: 11.1
Defensive rpg: 31.0
Rebounds per game: 42.2
Rebound differential: -3.1

Dallas w/ Dampier

Blocks per game: 5.7
Steals per game: 9.2
Opp. fg: .432
Opp. 3pt: .296
Offensive rpg: 13.3
Defensive rpg: 31.7
Rebounds per game: 45.0
Rebounding differential: +1.8

I let you draw your own conclusions about the stats. But it seems like Dallas is a better rebounding and defensive team with Damp than Raef.

The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #104
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

using steals against Raef is a little unfair too. Neither Raef nor Damp are thieves (neither one has averaged a steal per game), and LaFrentz averaged more steals.

The real reason Damp's Mavs are better in steals than LaFrentz'? LaFrentz never had these guys

Marquis Daniels (16th in the league in spg 1.52spg) Jason Terry (24th in the league in spg, 1.45spg), and Josh Howard and Devin Harris(tied for 33rd in NBA with 1.37spg)

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree with your last statement to an extent. Part of the biggest problem with the Mavs big men back when Bradley and Raef were manning the middle was that the players on the perimeter were collectively absolutely horrible on the perimeter. Fin isn't a bad defender, but Nash and NVE were/are atrocious on that end. It made it virtually impossible for the interior players to look good no matter how good they were playing. You cannot expect your center to slow down constant penetration. It created constant and early foul trouble for the big men.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #106
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheBaron
using steals against Raef is a little unfair too. Neither Raef nor Damp are thieves (neither one has averaged a steal per game), and LaFrentz averaged more steals.

The real reason Damp's Mavs are better in steals than LaFrentz'? LaFrentz never had these guys

Marquis Daniels (16th in the league in spg 1.52spg) Jason Terry (24th in the league in spg, 1.45spg), and Josh Howard and Devin Harris(tied for 33rd in NBA with 1.37spg)
My posting about steals just further added on to those other stats you forgot to mention about the mavs being better defensively.

How about this.

Lafrentz takes about two more shots and two more minutes. If they both averaged the same amount of shots per game, and you add in the amount of free throws and 3pts made per game by Lafrentz, they'd still average the same amount of ppg b/c Damp's more efficient from the field.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 01-04-2005, 04:06 AM   #107
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

All the stats are interesting, but just imagine how many easy dunks Damp might get if Steve Nash were hitting him right where he wants to catch the ball. Remember, he could even throw passes Bradley could catch and score with.

I prefer to go with my memory on Raef LaFoul. Seems like he got 2 fouls in five minutes every game and spent most of the 1st half sitting. He couldn't defend anybody. Big guys pushed him around. Little guys went around him. The lane was a layup line for guards blowing by Nash and Van Exel.

With Shaq now in the East, there are few centers in the West who can deny Damp position, and few he can't move out. Remember how he destroyed Yao Ming. never let him set up in his comfort zone. All Raef could do was swat at guys from behind... hence constant foul trouble.

Plus he was supposed to be a 3 point threat and his shot departed the day his contract arrived.

He was here, he failed, its over.

Now Damp is here, Nellie is still learning how to use him, he's helped Dirk's D enourmously. He still fouls too much, but its all a work in progress. At least now we have a chance to defend in the center position, which we have not had since Nelson got here. At times, against some teams he can even dominate. Ever use that word and Raef in the same sentence? Sure. As in SHaq, Dunkan, McDyess, Garnett, etc DOMINATES Raef. Who didn't?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Sure some quick centers can get around Damp. Thats why we have Booth,and Henderson. Both of them bring almost as much to the court as Raef. Good riddance!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #108
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

Maybe a player who scores 26ppg, grabs 10rebs, blocks 1,3 shots and steals the ball 1,3 times and has a perimeter oriented game should play center. Or do you (dude) think he hasn´t the tools to play center like Raef? Then, all we need is a pf. And i think it should be a bruiser with an inside game. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
You just don´t play two perimeter oriented guys at your two biggest positions. For me one of those guys should be an inside player. If you have Dirk and Reaf you have two players who like to shoot and are good at it and two players who don´t like physical play and are not so good at it. So why take away there strength and force one of them to be the inside player?
Do i like Raef? Yes. Can he play alongside Dirk? Sometimes.
Do i like Dampier? Yes. Can he play alongside Dirk? More often.
Would i like to trade Raef for Dampier? No, where would be the bruiser?
Would i like to have Raef on the team. Oh yes, please! I trade a mix of Booth, Henderson, TAW, Armstrong, Mbenga and Stackhouse for him but not Dampier. And there are other players out there that i want to have and trade for also. I always want to upgrade the roster.
Is Dampier the perfect fit to play with Dirk? Nearly, atleast the best who was/is here since Dirk has arrived.
So dude, tell me. Do you really prefer Raef over Dampier on this team? I know madape would, but he seems to prefer a lot of players over Dampier.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #109
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: G-Man
All the stats are interesting, but just imagine how many easy dunks Damp might get if Steve Nash were hitting him right where he wants to catch the ball. Remember, he could even throw passes Bradley could catch and score with.

I prefer to go with my memory on Raef LaFoul. Seems like he got 2 fouls in five minutes every game and spent most of the 1st half sitting. He couldn't defend anybody. Big guys pushed him around. Little guys went around him. The lane was a layup line for guards blowing by Nash and Van Exel.

With Shaq now in the East, there are few centers in the West who can deny Damp position, and few he can't move out. Remember how he destroyed Yao Ming. never let him set up in his comfort zone. All Raef could do was swat at guys from behind... hence constant foul trouble.

Plus he was supposed to be a 3 point threat and his shot departed the day his contract arrived.

He was here, he failed, its over.

Now Damp is here, Nellie is still learning how to use him, he's helped Dirk's D enourmously. He still fouls too much, but its all a work in progress. At least now we have a chance to defend in the center position, which we have not had since Nelson got here. At times, against some teams he can even dominate. Ever use that word and Raef in the same sentence? Sure. As in SHaq, Dunkan, McDyess, Garnett, etc DOMINATES Raef. Who didn't?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Sure some quick centers can get around Damp. Thats why we have Booth,and Henderson. &lt;STRONG&gt;Both&lt;/STRONG&gt; of them bring almost as much to the court as Raef. Good riddance!
Excellent post, G-Man.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #110
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Reading this thread, I am flabbergasted that anyone is dreaming fondly for the return of Raef. Been there, done that. It worked so miserably that the front office decided we could NEVER get past the big boys with the talent on the roster, and went looking for a way to get a REAL center.

Time to move on. Gotta move on.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #111
dude1394
Guru

I'm NOT sure if I'm dreaming of the return of raef over dampier. It is possible that by blowing up the WCF finals team, subjecting us to a completely wasted year last year that the mavs have gotten to a better place. We will find out obviously if the team gets to the WCF. If they don't, then the 2001 team will have proven itself.

We will find out. I DO however firmly believe that a slow-moving freight train of a center is NOT required to win in the nba. Detroit proved it, the spurs have proven it and minnesota has proven it. Also I would say that the Raef/Bradley mavs also have proven it.

So although at the end of the day I "may" not want raef over dampier, I WOULD have kept him and not busted up the team for the silliness that went on last year.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #112
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
So although at the end of the day I "may" not want raef over dampier, I WOULD have kept him and not busted up the team for the silliness that went on last year.
I do agree with that. I'd like to have Raef back, but as a backup to Dirk and maybe getting some minutes at the 5.

~The Salesman
Old 01-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #113
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Looking at your list of "successful teams," you apparently think getting to a conference finals is a major feat. The Mavs, and the rest of Mavs fandom, would disagree with you heartily.

If we are talking about being strong in the middle to get a title, Detroit was extremely strong, even though they didnt have one particular monster. Wallace, Wallace, Campbell, Williamson, Okur. San Antonio had BOTH Robinson and Duncan, along with Malik Rose, Willis, and Ferry. LA had Shaq. So your concept that "weak in the middle isnt a big deal" doesnt fit reality.

That 2002-03 team had gone as far as it could. It was too soft inside. You see last years group as a failure, but if you project the 02-03 team into 2003-04, it would have been even weaker. You would have the same players as were here in 2002-03, but subtract Van Exel and LaFrentz for season ending injuries. I prefer last year's team (as failed as it was) - with injuries to Raef and Van Exel, it was essentially the same exact roster - but with Walker and Jamison added.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #114
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Also, the Mavs are 14-2 when Damp scores 10+ and 6-2 when he rebounds 10+ and 6-1 when he has a double-double.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #115
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Has any team ever won anything of consequence with a center that describes himself as a finesse player?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:11 AM   #116
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Has any team ever won anything of consequence with a center that describes himself as a finesse player?
Maybe 1. Kareem in his last few years was more of a finese player. But at 38, he still had more talent than any center in the league today. Including Shaq. Not more muscle,but way more skill. and class. Damn I miss him, even tho he was real Mav Killer.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #117
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I don't know if you would say they won anything of consequence, but Bob McAdoo and Alvin Adams were pretty effective finesse centers.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote