Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #81
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Dirk couldn't make Odom any better than he is and neither can Kobe. When Odom decides he wants to dominate he'll dominate...until then he'll just be a pretty good player.
You're full of shit. But we already knew that.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #82
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I could call you a dumb #$%#$% (edited by U2 - focus on Cricket slow man! ), because you are trying to push me, but I wont... I will just say that you are wrong and I would imagine almost everyone in the WORLD would agree with me... Sure, some here would say the same you will because they simply hate him, but he is A M A Z I N G! Knocking Kobe's ability to win the MVP because of decisions he MIGHT, (do you have proof that Kobe called the owner and told him that it was him or Shaq - or is it possible that Buss decided to keep the younger of the two???), have made in previous years is STUPID!

Regarding others taking the Lakers to the playoffs, that is just silly. There MIGHT be One or Two guys that could do the same. Odom has always been a career underachiever... Yeah, he was an up and coming player for the Clipps... He was RIGHT THERE... Please!

Mihm
Cook
Odom
FILL IN
Parker

Name the guys that lead that squad to the playoffs!!! Oh, don't forget, he has Kwame Brown and Luke Walton as reserves... HURRY, HURRY... LIST THEM ALL!

Please... List them all NOW!

Edit: By the way... Odom's career best in Rebounds was 10.2 and he was at 9.3 this year, (3rd best overall in his career), and Odom's career best in Points was 17.2 and he was at 14.8 this year, (5th best overall in his career and 1 pt under his career avg). Being a career 15.8 pts and 8.5 rb guy, I guess he wasn't hindered quite as much as you thought was he?

hmmm, if you put it that way, i'd have to say it's pretty hard to plug in Nash or Billups and imagine that as a playoff team. I know it's not the best way to compare but I would say plug in Dirk or Lebron and I can see them still making the playoffs. So though i don't think Kobe is MVP, he's definitely a legit candidate from that standpoint and his numbers are great even though some would say inflated.

That said, I do think Dirk makes teammates better and no question in my mind that Odom would be better playing with Dirk than Kobe. Even though I wouldn't go so far as to say that Odom's career has been dragged in the mud from playing with Kobe, you can't really say that Kobe playing with him has elevated his game in any way. It's just speculation but I think playing alongside Dirk would noticably make Odom better - easier shots, more room to create, etc. The one example of Dirk's ability to make others better is his play with his national team. So as much as Odom not playing so great is due to Odom, I still think Dirk makes him better than what he's been with Kobe.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #83
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay
hmmm, if you put it that way, i'd have to say it's pretty hard to plug in Nash or Billups and imagine that as a playoff team. I know it's not the best way to compare but I would say plug in Dirk or Lebron and I can see them still making the playoffs. So though i don't think Kobe is MVP, he's definitely a legit candidate from that standpoint and his numbers are great even though some would say inflated.

That said, I do think Dirk makes teammates better and no question in my mind that Odom would be better playing with Dirk than Kobe. Even though I wouldn't go so far as to say that Odom's career has been dragged in the mud from playing with Kobe, you can't really say that Kobe playing with him has elevated his game in any way. It's just speculation but I think playing alongside Dirk would noticably make Odom better - easier shots, more room to create, etc. The one example of Dirk's ability to make others better is his play with his national team. So as much as Odom not playing so great is due to Odom, I still think Dirk makes him better than what he's been with Kobe.

I agree completely man. Odoms points have continued to trend down ever since he got to kobe-land. Probably the worst thing that ever happened to him, being stuck with showbe.

His FG% is higher than ever so he's not in some sort of slump. His FTA's are almost 150 less since he played with a "teammate" and not a "supasta'".

Kobe is the wests Allan Iverson.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #84
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

What really hurt Dirks chances was March and April. At the time he needed to show off for the league, the team struggled with injuries, and lost a bunch of games. Never mind how many victories Dirk created with one NBADL player starting at shooting guard and another backing him up. Never mind him scoring more than 30 eight times in that span, voters will proably more impressed with him losing the game where he scored 51.

Imagine the highlights and the blowouts a healthy Mavs team might have displayed. In reality, carrying his team makes Dirk more deserving. But in a league that values dunks, no look alley oops, flashy highlights and headlines, consistancy and leadership don't count for as much.

Don't forget, many of these ballots go to sportswriters. When their teams played Cleveland or LA, its guarenteed they wrote a feature about LeBron, and probably one about Kobe. Voting for one of them valaidates the writer's judgement to write about them. All their dunks get rerun in the hightlights, further imprinting the brain. Its what sells papers. When Dirk comes in, he just quietly whips them. His highlight is probably a beautiful 3, or a dunk, sans strut or "dunk face". What's to remember?

Its a consspiracy alright. A low key guy with a subtle style and a beat up team. Sorry Dirk. We know you earned. Maybe you can just settle for a Finals MVP.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #85
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
You're full of shit. But we already knew that.
yea but I'm right...

Like Dan said, your arguement isn't based in reason but rather blind homerism.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:01 AM   #86
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay

I simply do NOT agree... There a LOT of shots that go up in a game other than the ones that Kobe takes, (53 extra shots in fact)... Odom has every opportunity in the world to score his 20 IF he could... Are you actually saying that Dirk gets guys easier shots than Kobe and gets guys more room to create???

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Dirk, but pass that joint, PLEASE... Kobe is a CONSISTENT double team and despite his image, he actually passes a good bit when the game isn't on the line, (4.5 assists per game). If anyone spreads the floor more than Kobe, please point him out. I know how much Kobe is hated on this forum and I know how terrible of a human being he is; however, regarding pure basketball talent, Kobe is currently the best in the game! If anyone argues with that, I will be happy, check that, ECSTATIC to begin this argument!!! Once LeBron becomes the defensive force Kobe is, he will be the best, but right now, it is Kobe all the way!

With all of that said, do I believe he is the MVP? Again, due to his team record vs. Dirk's, no! But again, I would not whine if he did get it because he did have a tremendous year and very few if any other guys could take that team as far as he has!
Old 04-26-2006, 01:28 AM   #87
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Once LeBron becomes the defensive force Kobe is, he will be the best, but right now, it is Kobe all the way!
Never gonna happen. I'm not saying that will prevent LeBron from being the best, but he will NEVER be the defender that Kobe is.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 AM   #88
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Never gonna happen. I'm not saying that will prevent LeBron from being the best, but he will NEVER be the defender that Kobe is.
bawah?...why praytell?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:41 AM   #89
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
bawah?...why praytell?
You know how Nellie said "You're either a good rebounder or you're not?" I tend to think it's that way with just about everything basketball. You can improve your weaknesses, sure. But to my knowledge one can never do a complete 180 and become an expert at something he was originally horrible at. Those skills are innate.

Marquis Daniels will never be a great shooter, and LeBron will never be a great defender. Kobe is a great defender.

LeBron can improve his defense the way Dirk has. But just like Dirk will never be Duncan on the defensive end, LeBron will never EVER be Kobe in that respect.

Kobe has been selected for the all-defensive first team three times and the second team twice.

I'll be more than a little surprised if LeBron ever makes the all-defensive second team, and I will be absolutely shocked (I mean, waking up with your head sewn to the carpet shocked) if he ever makes the first team.

It just ain't gonna happen.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #90
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You know how Nellie said "You're either a good rebounder or you're not?" I tend to think it's that way with just about everything basketball. You can improve your weaknesses, sure. But to my knowledge one can never do a complete 180 and become an expert at something he was originally horrible at. Those skills are innate.

Marquis Daniels will never be a great shooter, and LeBron will never be a great defender. Kobe is a great defender.

LeBron can improve his defense the way Dirk has. But just like Dirk will never be Duncan on the defensive end, LeBron will never EVER be Kobe in that respect.

Kobe has been selected for the all-defensive first team three times and the second team twice.

I'll be more than a little surprised if LeBron ever makes the all-defensive second team, and I will be absolutely shocked (I mean, waking up with your head sewn to the carpet shocked) if he ever makes the first team.

Oh I believe you do not give the coastal media enough credit here sir. He will be touted as the greatest since sliced bread so much that he WILL be in that second team at least. I would not be surprised about making first team. He will get every benefit of the doubt.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #91
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe is capable of being the best 2 guard defender in the nba but as someone who watches a good many laker games he hasnt been this year. He can turn it on for stretched(much like dirk can) but as much as he does on offense NO ONE could play great d. There is a limit to the amount of energy in the human body. Kobe is great but Lebron is the most talented individual player in the game right now.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #92
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

This is from Ric Bucher's chat today... I am by no means a mavs fan but to not have Dirk in your top 5 MVP balloting is ..( feel free to add whatever you'd like)..

John (Kansas CIty): Enough irrelevant talk about teams that don't stand a chance of winning. Everybody keeps knocking of Duncan;s numbers being down but they forget that the Spurs added Finley and Van Exel, plus Tony and Manu have to score. Duncan might be injured but he can still dominate when he needs too. Spurs 2006 NBA Champions!!!

Ric Bucher: (11:45 AM ET ) I agree. Even at 80 percent, Duncan is the best PF in the league. It's why he was on my MVP ballot, which, for the curious, went like this: Kobe, Nash, Billups, Duncan, James.

Another mav tidbit..I am in a very pro-mav mood today..

robert philadelphia,pa: hi bucher,Ive heard mark cuban said he would love to get another scorer/superstar to surround nowitski,could that be iverson and what could they give up that would interest the 76ers?

Ric Bucher: (11:53 AM ET ) I haven't heard AI's name bandied about in Dallas but I have heard Jermaine's. Imagine O'Neal and Dirk as a combo.

Last edited by George Gervin; 04-26-2006 at 10:56 AM.
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #93
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan is the Spurs MVP...but, does he mean as much to the Spurs as what Dirk does to the Mavs? The Spurs are still a playoff team without Duncan. In my opinion, with all the injuries that the Mavs had this year, the Mavs don't sniff the playoffs without Dirk.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #94
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

That quote by Nellie quickly falls apart when you look at Dirk. He was once upon a time a bad defensive rebounder. Obviously, that is no longer the case.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #95
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
yea but I'm right...

Like Dan said, your arguement isn't based in reason but rather blind homerism.
How is it based on homerism. Please explain that to me? How is saying that I do not believe that Kobe is a legit MVP candidate because he ran Shaq out of LA..how is that homerism?

That is a very odd statement for you and dan to make.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #96
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Hes a fucking moron. Do not edit that. It needs to be left the way it is.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #97
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How is it based on homerism. Please explain that to me? How is saying that I do not believe that Kobe is a legit MVP candidate because he ran Shaq out of LA..how is that homerism?

That is a very odd statement for you and dan to make.
For you to claim that Dirk is the MVP and Kobe shouldn't even be a candidate is homerism or blatant stupidity - you choose...

And in case one of your next statements will be "But I didn't say Dirk should win it" I say PLEASE... Your mouth was firmly attached to Dirk's nuts for the better part of the season, so you don't HAVE to say it, (and I don't know that you didn't by the way, I am just too lazy to re-read all of the thread). I am not trying to be an ass or anything, I am just saying, you were his biggest supporter and I don't think anyone here would deny that.

I guess I am just realistic and many others aren't due to hatred of Kobe. I see everyone for what they are on the court without my blue and white colored glasses... Kobe is amazing, and denying that, despite me hating his personality and demeanor, is me lying to myself!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #98
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Kobe is in no way the MVP...you gotta be on an elite team to be MVP
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #99
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
Kobe is in no way the MVP...you gotta be on an elite team to be MVP
That is your opinion Dub... But I personally think adding 30+ wins to a team is worthy of being considered. Again, I don't think he should win, but I would understand why people would vote for him.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #100
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I agree completely man. Odoms points have continued to trend down ever since he got to kobe-land. Probably the worst thing that ever happened to him, being stuck with showbe.

His FG% is higher than ever so he's not in some sort of slump. His FTA's are almost 150 less since he played with a "teammate" and not a "supasta'".

Kobe is the wests Allan Iverson.

I think that has more to do with the style of play Kobe and Odom play. In order to be at their best they both demand the basketball which is why Caron Butler was a better fit for the Lakers than Odom. Odom is clearly the better player but he needs the ball in his hands just like Kobe does.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #101
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Is Dirk as good a scorer as Kobe or Lebron? Maybe not, but it's pretty close and if you can get that kind of scoring out of your power forward position that's a much bigger advantage then getting it from a SG or SF.

And Kobe is average at best on defense.

Last edited by Popeye; 04-26-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #102
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my argument for Kobe as an MVP candidate.

They'd be looking up at the Jailblazers right now if they didn't have him. Instead they have a realistic shot at beating the Suns in the playoffs. And he's probably the best all-around player since Jordan.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #103
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
Here's my argument for Kobe as an MVP candidate.

They'd be looking up at the Jailblazers right now if they didn't have him. Instead they have a realistic shot at beating the Suns in the playoffs. And he's probably the best all-around player since Jordan.

definately not. on both counts.

no kobe would mean, they'd have shaq. and probably some combo of maggette + brand for bryant. they'd be better than they are now. pjax never would have left.

and the jailblazers would be looking up at them.

kobe = slighty better version of crackhouse in his prime.

Last edited by aexchange; 04-26-2006 at 02:27 PM.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #104
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange

no kobe would mean, they'd have shaq. and probably some combo of maggette + brand for bryant. they'd be better than they are now. pjax never would have left.

Than after 2 years the Lakers would be the Clippers. Even worse since they have no point guard. Keeping Kobe was the right decision. It would've been better to keep both but ego's clash and things get ugly. Lakers would be one of the worst teams in the league without Kobe right now. Shaq's proved he's no longer than dominant force he once was where he could have a team built around him. He's still the most dominant force in the league but still you never know what Shaq you are going to get.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #105
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Kobes the best individual player in basketball, unfortunately this isint the MLB so being the best player SHOULDNT help you win the MVP award since the NBA is in many ways a team sport unlike baseball where you have guys doing their own things. It should be Lebron in all honesty... the guy was in the same position as Dirk only he had worse role players, a #2 guy out most of the season, and a way worse coach... yet put up crazy numbers (as expected). So what if hes East? Not his fault, Dirks in the toughest conference and Lebrons in the second toughest conference (but that might be arguable... since every team in Bron's div. got into the playoffs).
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #106
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You've gotta be kidding me.

As I remember, Kobe resigned with the Lakers AFTER (read: AFTER) the Shaq trade. If you believe that Kobe absolutely wouldn't have resigned if Shaq stayed on.. well you're free to believe it. It's all conjecture at this point. What I remember Shaq saying was that he wasn't happy with his lack of a contract extension and the direction of the franchise, so Shaq was going to leave whether or not Kobe stayed on board. It's a pretty weak argument to assume they'd have gotten either Maggette or Brand for Bryant as well. How can you assume the Clips would do a S&T with the Lakers or the other way around? I think Kobe probably would have gone East if anything, or just outright signed with the Clips with the other pieces intact. Hard to say for sure though.

Look at the Lakers' opening day roster -- without Kobe -- compared to the Blazers of this year. The Blazers are clearly the more talented team and the Lakers would win 15 games or fewer. With Odom and Smush Parker as their only offensive weapons (combined with a complete lack of defensive weapons) the Lakers would be the worst team in the league.

And Kobe's a better Stackhouse in his prime? Wow. Just wow. Stack has never played defense in his career and Kobe's a lockdown player with a lot more talent and a lot more athleticism.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #107
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Dirk couldn't make Odom any better than he is and neither can Kobe. When Odom decides he wants to dominate he'll dominate...until then he'll just be a pretty good player.
Actually, if anyone can make Odom better, it's Nash.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #108
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
This has to be the most ignorant post you have ever made...

Mod or not, that is just stupid!

I guess Stackhouse will go down as one of the greatest players in NBA history then?

Pass that pipe fella!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-26-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #109
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
And Kobe is average at best on defense.
Man... The stupid bus came and ran over a few of you today!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #110
blahblehblah

blahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the rough

lol male23dan is on a roll
blahblehblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #111
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
That is your opinion Dub... But I personally think adding 30+ wins to a team is worthy of being considered. Again, I don't think he should win, but I would understand why people would vote for him.
So you are saying that Lakers would have won 15 games without Kobe?

Sorry, don't buy it. I think Dirk should have been MVP, but there is no way an MVP be awarded to a guy whose team is the 7th seed in the playoffs with 45 wins. If you gave that team Nash and subtracted Kobe, they would have won 50 games. And Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom would be having career years.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #112
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
For you to claim that Dirk is the MVP and Kobe shouldn't even be a candidate is homerism or blatant stupidity - you choose...

And in case one of your next statements will be "But I didn't say Dirk should win it" I say PLEASE... Your mouth was firmly attached to Dirk's nuts for the better part of the season, so you don't HAVE to say it, (and I don't know that you didn't by the way, I am just too lazy to re-read all of the thread). I am not trying to be an ass or anything, I am just saying, you were his biggest supporter and I don't think anyone here would deny that.

I guess I am just realistic and many others aren't due to hatred of Kobe. I see everyone for what they are on the court without my blue and white colored glasses... Kobe is amazing, and denying that, despite me hating his personality and demeanor, is me lying to myself!
Let's see...Just a week or two ago, I said that I'd probably go with Lebron James as the MVP over Dirk. Now, if you'd like to continue to make yourself look foolish, so be it. However, you have no facts to back up anything that you say other than the same old tired crap as usual.

Once again, how is me saying that Kobe is not the MVP of the league because he ran off Shaq a homerish thing to say?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #113
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Let's see...Just a week or two ago, I said that I'd probably go with Lebron James as the MVP over Dirk. Now, if you'd like to continue to make yourself look foolish, so be it. However, you have no facts to back up anything that you say other than the same old tired crap as usual.

Once again, how is me saying that Kobe is not the MVP of the league because he ran off Shaq a homerish thing to say?
Murph... Come on man... Are you serious... Should I start a poll or something that questions whether or not this guy is you after running into Dirk:

His nuts have been in your mouth EVERY GAME of the year. For you to act like you don't think he should be the MVP is, (and I am in SUPER-Tyson here), ludicrous!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #114
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
So you are saying that Lakers would have won 15 games without Kobe?

Sorry, don't buy it. I think Dirk should have been MVP, but there is no way an MVP be awarded to a guy whose team is the 7th seed in the playoffs with 45 wins. If you gave that team Nash and subtracted Kobe, they would have won 50 games. And Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom would be having career years.
Ha... I would set the Over Under to 12 myself... That team is HORRIBLE... HORRIBLE... Nope, it needs one more... HORRIBLE without Kobe!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #115
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Murph... Come on man... Are you serious... Should I start a poll or something that questions whether or not this guy is you after running into Dirk:

His nuts have been in your mouth EVERY GAME of the year. For you to act like you don't think he should be the MVP is, (and I am in SUPER-Tyson here), ludicrous!!!
Once again, you have failed to answer the question. How is me saying that Kobe running off Shaq should keep him from being the MVP a homerish thing to say.

You continually fail to address my question. Your insults have done absolutely nothing to help you address my question. It leads me to believe that you are incapable of doing so in an intelligent manner.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-26-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #116
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Once again, you have failed to answer the question. How is me saying that Kobe running off Shaq should keep him from being the MVP a homerish thing to say.

You continually fail to address my question. Your insults have done absolutely nothing to help you address my question.
Well... Again... If anyone says that Kobe didn't deserve consideration but Dirk did, (and we should well know by now that you think Dirk should), that is simply homerism! There is no way you could possibly think that Dirk would be in the equation but Kobe wouldn't due to the stats of the respective players and the "what if the superstar wasn't there" factor...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #117
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
It leads me to believe that you are incapable of doing so in an intelligent manner.
By the way... Be smart enough to include this sentence the FIRST time you reply to me!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #118
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Well... Again... If anyone says that Kobe didn't deserve consideration but Dirk did, (and we should well know by now that you think Dirk should), that is simply homerism! There is no way you could possibly think that Dirk would be in the equation but Kobe wouldn't due to the stats of the respective players and the "what if the superstar wasn't there" factor...
How is that homerism?

You've once again failed to address that. Why is it homerism to hold him running Shaq out of LA against him? What sense does that make? I'm sorry, but if you run the most dominant center of the last decade off of your team because you want the spotlight on yourself, you're not a team player. Therefore, you are not THE MVP of the league.

Once again, how does that make me a 'homer'? Your logic is nothing short of ...illogical.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #119
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
How is that homerism?

You've once again failed to address that. Why is it homerism to hold him running Shaq out of LA against him? What sense does that make? I'm sorry, but if you run the most dominant center of the last decade off of your team because you want the spotlight on yourself, you're not a team player. Therefore, you are not THE MVP of the league.

Once again, how does that make me a 'homer'? Your logic is nothing short of ...illogical.
How many posts should we go back in which I questioned your proof that he ran Shaq out of LA... Can you prove that???

If your answer is anything short of YES DAN, I ABSOLUTELY CAN, HERE IS KOBE SAYING THAT HE RAN SHAQ OUT OF TOWN or YES DAN, I ABSOLUTELY CAN, HERE IS SHAQ SAYING THAT KOBE RAN HIM OUT OF TOWN then you are just swinging and missing, yet again...

If you can't prove that, then it must be homerism, or, AGAIN, stupidity... I asked you to choose a few posts ago... I will ask you to choose again!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-26-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #120
Murphy3
Guru

It's pretty much accepted common knowledge, ya dumb peckerhead. So once again, how is it 'homerish' for me to say that he isn't the league MVP because he ran Shaq out of LA. Even if I don't 100% have the facts to prove it, how is it 'homerish'?

The bottom line is that it's not 'homerish'. It's something that many, many people believe regardless of who their favorite team is.

Tags
dirk