Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #81
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I'm sure the suns would't complain too loudly if they won 94% of their NEXT 18 games also.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #82
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenG
Great point. Any team with those stats be the end of a game is going to get a win more times then not. KG was just a monster last night and hit everything. It was one of those nights where nobody was going to stop him. It didn't matter what team he was playing or who was guarding him. That's what is great about the NBA. No matter how good of a team you are, you can lose on even given night if one of your stars goes crazy.
I just don't understand this argument. You are right any team with those stats at the end of a game is going to get a win, yet Phoenix did not. There is something wrong with that! I mean they let Minny shoot 60% from the field! How many of those games are you going to win? I believe the death blow in the playoffs last year is when Dirk scored 50 on them. I think it is the very thing that Phoenix needs to worry about - stopping people when it counts.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #83
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

'Bout time

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #84
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The only trouble there, jacktruth, is that you can keep going in circles forever with that kind of reasoning. Which is to say: a stop for one team is just as good as a stop for the other, is it not? What Phoenix concentrates on is preventing the other team from getting stops.

A stop not made, a stop allowed...what's the difference?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #85
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
It takes more than luck to win 17 straight.
What does it take to win 17 straight and still not be 1st place in the conference?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #86
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
A stop not made, a stop allowed...what's the difference?
You sound like someone that's never watched a game.

If this point were sound, then the terms offensive-minded teams, defensive-minded teams, fast teams, slow teams, etc. would be meaningless.

I'm not going to argue with you about this further because I know that's not your real position on the issue; instead you're just saying that because you like picking on people.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 01-30-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #87
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
What does it take to win 17 straight and still not be 1st place in the conference?
bad luck!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #88
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
You sound like someone that's never watched a game.

If this point were sound, then the terms offensive-minded teams, defensive-minded teams, fast teams, slow teams, etc. would be meaningless.

I'm not going to argue with you about this further because I know that's not your real position on the issue; instead you're just saying that because you like picking on people.
Who's picking on who?

Of course those terms have meaning. What is not at all certain is what the implications are when teams of varying designs meet.

If you think you have all the answers for that, go ahead and put them forward. You can put a whole lot of analysts out of business with one fell swoop.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #89
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I just don't understand this argument. You are right any team with those stats at the end of a game is going to get a win, yet Phoenix did not. There is something wrong with that! I mean they let Minny shoot 60% from the field! How many of those games are you going to win? I believe the death blow in the playoffs last year is when Dirk scored 50 on them. I think it is the very thing that Phoenix needs to worry about - stopping people when it counts.
What don't you get? The point was that more often then not the other team won't shoot 60% and won't be able to match your offensive numbers. They are still on average holding teams to 45%. That will get it done most nights as indicated by their record. So most nights they are getting it done and stopping people when it counts. They struggle only in game when it comes down to the last shot (a la our boy Dirk). How often does that really happen though? Once a month...maybe. Once a series.

Last edited by DarenG; 01-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
DarenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #90
Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric will become famous soon enoughGrammaton Cleric will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
And it takes more than luck to be the 1st place team in the league, esp after someone just got off a 17 game winning streak.
I think that may have something to do with the Mavs only losing what - 2 games? during that entire streak.

Besides, I never said that the Mavs were lucky.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:49 PM   #91
Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric will become famous soon enoughGrammaton Cleric will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
what is the point here? The suns are a better than 100% lucky team? because that is just dumb.

I don't think anyone here isn't saying the Suns aren't a top 3 team...and most would say top 2.
No, but the streak was always about, "easy schedule" this and "star player hurt" that.

I mean SEVENTEEN in a row?

I was surreal while it lasted.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #92
Grammaton Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
1. This game didn't "count".

2. The Suns still allow just over 45 percent shooting for the season so far, which is good enough for 12th in the league. The T-Wolves 60 percent has to be viewed as an aberration until they start making it a habit.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #93
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns trolling is only going get worse as we go along isnt it?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #94
Grammaton Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
There you go again with that word.

This is called a discussion.

I'm not a troll and I resent the implication. If you don't want people to talk about the Suns, then don't make threads about them or their games.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #95
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Yes unfortunately.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote