Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #81
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

No primal scream in General Mav Discussion well, I will let it out anyway.
C#!**>>""%%***&&@#$%%$R::@@****^**^@#!!A**##@!!<<*!!#P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #82
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

couple things i noticed from last nights game.

1.) I think the warriors like drank red bull or crack or something, cause those guys were so pumped up, Obviously we were not pumped up, maybe the rest was a bad idea...i also felt like our mavs were getting mauled it was almost like the warriors were out of control all of the time, flying around...i guess thats playoff basketball. Either way there were some calls that should have been made, that weren't.

2.) LAY-UPS! how many lay ups could we miss in that game..jesus..a lay up is a gimme. finish strong. If you have position after a offensive rebound....go up strong and dunk it. Christ!

3.) stack sucked tonight. i think there needs to be some calls on the defenders guarding dirk...they had hands on him all freaking night.

that's just what i thought.....obviously the warriors aren't a great team...but they are a matchup problem for us.

also, did anyone listen to the half time show with barkley? he called the warriors 'midgets', and it was freaking hilarious. he said something to the effect of, not changing your line up and running over those midgets.

haha, lol, so funny..i actually like barkley and his thoughts now...

anyone have ideas to my thoughts?

Last edited by MavsX; 04-23-2007 at 08:09 AM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #83
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

I think the team is going to be just fine. Dirk played arguably his worst postseason game of his life. That is not going to happen 3 more times in this series. This team will follow his lead. And he will lead them past Golden State. I'm ticked but I'm optimistic.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #84
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Shrinkage
Mavs Suckered Into Small Loss
By Mike Fisher - DB.com

Shrinkage. All men understand the condition. Avery Johnson’s men are the first ever to volunteer for it.

In prepping for this NBA Playoffs-opening series, Dallas had no reason to be bothered by the “inside knowledge’’ their ex-coach Don Nelson had on them, or by the Warriors’ “scotch-and-bar-napkin’’ gameplans, or most of all, by the pesky threat of SmallBall. Once Dallas muddled through the re-hashed mangling of hoary old tales combined with the overwrought fabrications of new ones – tales that some Mavs people feared would be a first-round playoff drain and distraction – what’d be left standing would be Dominant Dallas, powered by its versatile-but-traditional lineup.

For the Game 1 record: Sunday’s 97-85 upset loss was the result of coach Avery Johnson “playing down’’ (figuratively and literally) to the eighth-seeded Warriors. By installing a “surprise’’ starting five with virtually no precedent, No. 1-seeded Dallas tried to junk it up, tried to trick it up, tried to unorthodox-it up against a Warriors team that uses that hair-on-fire style not just because it’s “neato’’ but because it must.

Said Dirk Nowitzki of the Warriors’ emotion-charged style: “When they get their confidence, they are jumping around like madmen.’’

And the Mavs? “Madmen’’ isn’t what we do here, Avery.

The result begs the question: Did the Avery-Nellie/pupil/teacher relationship play a role in a Mavs’ behavior that veteran Jerry Stackhouse accurately termed “disoriented’’? Did Nellie get into the heads of Avery and his team?

First, to the realities of the relationships:

It’s easy to understand why some observers would accidentally twist the truth about the Mavs’ ongoing relationship with their old godfather: He did leave on less-than-lovely terms, he and owner Mark Cuban exchanging verbal jousts and legal threats. It’s even easy to understand why snipers like the NY Post’s Vecsey would fabricate a story that makes it seem as though the Nellie-vs.-Cuban venom drips throughout the organization.

Wrote Vecsey: “From what I’m told, Avery … has no affection for Nelson. None, whatsoever!’’
Absurd, of course. Even Cuban tipped his cap – kinda. “There are a lot of things I really love about Nellie, some things I don’t,’’ Tony Cubes said, before mentioned one of the don’ts. “I’m not a fan of someone who quits on his team but will leave only if he got paid.’’

Pending lawsuits notwithstanding, there were hugs all around for the host of old pals who took the American Airlines Court in this best-of-seven starter. Before the game, Nellie made clear his feelings for his protégé, leaving no room for malicious Parcells-Belichick-like speculation.

He’s the best coach in the league right now,’’ Nelson said of Avery. “He doesn’t have any weaknesses. I’m proud of him. I love the man. He’s a wonderful human being and a helluva coach.’’

Countered Avery: “He has been instrumental for me as a player and a coach. But that has no impact on anything right now.’’

Or did it?

Sure, this is a familial thing. Away from the court, the dad who runs the Warriors and his son who GMs the Mavs orchestrated “a family reunion,’’ laughed Donnie Nelson of his old man getting a chance to see the grandkids, “that will turn into a family feud.’’

(I didn’t see Nellie hug Cuban, which is probably a good thing given that the old coach might’ve used the opportunity to slip a subpoena into the owner’s pocket.)
But in terms of actual basketball?

It says here Avery needs to go back to the drawing board. Or, if he’s really going to try to mirror his storied “Clown Coach’’ mentor, back to the bar napkins, as it were.

The Mavs started small, with Devean and Devin joining Dirk, JET and J-Ho in the starting lineup. Devean and Devin together? Yeah, it’s happened before. … According to my bleary-eyed count, FOUR TIMES in 82 outings. It is clearly not what Dallas does best.

Avery’s X’sy-and-O’sy explanation:

"It was just something that we evaluated that every time we play them: our 5 just could not keep up. They start two point guards, two shooting guards and a 3. They put us in a big bind.’’
So Dallas responded by going littler. … and making the bind bigger.

I said it two weeks ago and I say it now: This sort of cutesy move (complete with three days of Avery’s adorable pre-game bluff promising “Damp will need to be a monster’’) constitutes a forfeiture of the huge advantage Dallas has worked to hard to build in the assembly of this roster.

* The 7-footer Dirk Nowitzki using his skill and size to be “big’’ and “small’’ at the same time? No sir. The UberMan napped his way to 14 meaningless points.

* Damp a “monster’’? Not while being given only two minutes, he ain’t.

* Diop, at 7-1, capable of turning away some of the skillion or so layups converted by Baron Davis and company? Diop did his thing (six rebounds, two blocks, four points) considering he was only allowed 16 minutes in which to do it.

* And the biggest SmallBall twist, Devean George? George, a “secret weapon’’? The 6-8 forward was announced as “the starting center’’ yet was assigned to cover Baron Davis. Again, that’s cute. Cute like a baby polar bear. … that is drowning while attempting to find a unmelted and livable ice chunk. … almost as cute as back in Dallas’ Dark Ages when Nellie would use 6-4 Erick Strickland at center. … cute. … but nonsensical.

Dig Baron’s line, largely against George, whom Avery refused to unplug: 33 points, 14 rebounds, eight assists.

Now THAT’S precious.

George and Davis might be similar in terms of their stout builds. They’re both tough guys. But the similarities end there. And so should that offbeat experiment.

Oh, and consider the trickle-down effects of the misguided strategy.

* With Devean and Devin starting, and no centers truly part of the rotation, how did Dallas’ vaunted bench fare? Jerry Stackhouse was the only sub contributor. And he contributed a sloppy 0-for-6.

* With bigs not part of the gameplan, the Mavs’ reliance on the pick-and-roll shriveled away. I’m just guessing that Dallas, on a normal night, runs the pick-and-roll on fully half of its half-court possessions. What’s that, maybe 40 times a game. And I’m betting they didn’t run the pick-and-roll more than 15 or so times Sunday.

* With the pick-and-roll not in full operation, there went Dirk’s pet set. Next thing you know, there’s no pick, there’s no roll, there’s no pop, and he’s making four FGs total.

It is wrong to suggest that the Mavs can beat the Warriors just by showing up, by going small, tall, fat, one-legged (hey, it’s working for Heather Mills), whatever. But why volunteer-away an advantage? Why be drawn into a little-man’s game, a mad scramble, a frenetic pace that resulted in GS winning an edge in hustle-type stats?

A Devin Harris quote: "The first game is pretty much to feel each other out to see what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty sure coach Johnson will have a better plan for Game 2."

Yikes. Good news is a change is coming. Bad news? We’re feeling out. Think Nellie’s traditional “We-Couldn’t-Beat-The-Pismo-Beach-Panthers’’ underdog act is tiresome? How do you like it when overdog Dallas tries it?

A Nellie pre-game oration: “They’re the big boys, we’re the little guys. We’re schmoes. They’re not afraid of us. … We’re like a flea on their back, a pebble of sand in Hawaii.’’

Sound familiar? The only difference between the Dallas-era Nellie and this Oakland-era Nellie is that unlike his old Mavs (who I used to argue might’ve benefited, psyche-wise, from being told they were BETTER than the Pismo Beach Panthers) these Warriors ARE relative schmoes. They ARE a flea. They ARE a pebble of sand. And rather than have to be bothered for too long by ‘em, the Mavs needed to orchestrate a rapid dispatch. A can of Raid and a broom.

Instead, the superior Mavs somehow found a way to make themselves feel inferior. (For, I might add, the sixth straight time against this traditional have-not.) Dallas installed a schmoe lineup. Played with a schmoe attitude. Performed with a schmoe aptitude.

Down 0-1, there remains ample opportunity to effectively sate the gossips, to kill their Avery-Nellie/love-hate angle, and to again make this series be about Mavs-style basketball:

Quit BEING the flea. Quit BEING the pebble. Quit BEING the schmoe.

0230 April 23 2007

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/mainArticle.asp

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #85
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
couple things i noticed from last nights game.

1.) I think the warriors like drank red bull or crack or something, cause those guys were so pumped up, Obviously we were not pumped up, maybe the rest was a bad idea...i also felt like our mavs were getting mauled it was almost like the warriors were out of control all of the time, flying around...i guess thats playoff basketball. Either way there were some calls that should have been made, that weren't.

2.) LAY-UPS! how many lay ups could we miss in that game..jesus..a lay up is a gimme. finish strong. If you have position after a offensive rebound....go up strong and dunk it. Christ!

3.) stack sucked tonight. i think there needs to be some calls on the defenders guarding dirk...they had hands on him all freaking night.

that's just what i thought.....obviously the warriors aren't a great team...but they are a matchup problem for us.

also, did anyone listen to the half time show with barkley? he called the warriors 'midgets', and it was freaking hilarious. he said something to the effect of, not changing your line up and running over those midgets.

haha, lol, so funny..i actually like barkley and his thoughts now...

anyone have ideas to my thoughts?
Hey MavsX, the scary thing is I think the Warriors missed as many lay ups as we did. I did not think the officiating was bad, it seemed pretty consistant on both sides. The one called I questioned was when Harris had the drive to the basket in the fourth quarter, the shot was blocked, but then he was smashed into the back of the goal. How could that have not been a foul?

I agree that the Warriors seemed to be really pumped, and that is why we can not beat thm playing Nellie's small ball. They are more athletic than we are. You are right about Barkley and his assessment was on the money.

That said, let's go out and play Maverick basketball!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ YES YES YES! (To Fish's article)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-23-2007 at 08:25 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #87
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Games like this one remind me why I've often wondered if this Mavs team wouldn't be better off trading Dirk straight up for KG. I still believe that if you take the three-point shooting ability away, Dirk is not that much a better player than Gasol. But KG is WAY better than Gasol.

Avery, for the love of all that is holy, SET DIRK FREE!
This is an insane knee jerk, and the Gasol vs Dirk comments are insane....

But, I will say this, if KG ever had Montae Ellis or Stephen Jackson on him, he would setup on the low block and dunk on their pumpkin heads.

If Dirk would/could do that, this series would be over before it started.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #88
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Our offense is not better when we play small ball. Our offense is about spacing and precision. We have a freaking system. Damp's screens are also HUGE part of this offense.

Also, 14 offensive rebounds from Golden State are another reason to hate small ball.

Did you not notice Diop entering the game often coincided with a nice run?
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jthig32 again.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #89
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Phoenix plays a different kind of small, but the same point applies there. We've started playing Damp more against Phoenix this season, and it's made a big difference. He's been huge on the boards for us against Phoenix.

You can say whatever you want about the Warriors post trade. The reality is they're an inferior team to this Mavs team, and they're not a contender to win the NBA title. The reason they're not is because you can not win an NBA title with the lineup they throw out there on a nightly basis.

By not playing our big guys we give away that advantage.

I still think we can overcome Avery's horrible decision and win this series, but make no mistake, it just got a WHOLE lot harder. The Warriors are damn tough to beat in their building.
To be brutally honest, I thought that the change Avery would make was this line-up:

Harris--PG
Howard--SG
George--SF
Dirk--PF
Diop--C

This is exactly also what I wanted against GS. In any other series, I want Terry to start. I thought that line-up would punish GS, and render Davis and JRich neutral, and we would beat the hell out of them. I wanted Harris to defend Baron, and George to defend JRich.

I still think this line-up is the answer for GS. Then we can sub in Terry for Harris and Damp for Diop at anytime with the normal rotation from there.

Lastly, the only player for the Mavs to show up was Harris. If it wasn't for Harris/Diop/Damp, this would have been another GS blow-out win.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #90
GermanFan

GermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I'm not sure what you guys didn't like about the small ball. Besides the last few minutes, we played very good defense. What lost the game was our horrible shooting. Our offense should be BETTER normally because of small ball, so I can't really blame it for making our offense bad. That's more the individual players fault.

Exaxtly my throught and this 3 they hit even with a hand in there face -- but i am still confident that we have a win in the first round (now all our guys have there off night out of the system better in the first round then in the finals *G)
GermanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #91
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Why not? Iterate it for me.

And why can Phoenix contend for one with theirs, when Golden State can't? Because Stoudemire is two inches taller than Al Harrington? Is that the reason? Or, what exactly did you mean by "the lineup they throw out there"?
Clear answer!!!! NASH!!!!!!!

GS is a toy of a team and NOT a contender at any level in the NBA. Anyone that believes this believes in Fools Gold. How could you ever compare GS to the Suns? Then to comare Amare to Al? Come on Chum, we know that you are a GS and Nellie fan, but how could you put GS in the same sentence with "CONTENDER"?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #92
Silk Smoov
Banned

Something that nobody wants to hear but is the truth...

0-5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone knows what that means?????

This is the numbers that represent our current Mavs team....
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #93
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

You're not allowed an 0-4 start in the second season, I know that for sure.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #94
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry Brickhouse sighting! He was the biggest liability on the court last night (aside from Dirk not being able to deal with the double-team...) I'm not sure if Stack had more turnovers or bricked shots, but I know he scored NOTHING in 20 mins and had only 1 good defensive play to justify him getting ANY time... JET was hot & cold, but mostly cold in the clutch... Howard played standard ball and George did his thing - neither carried the team, neither hurt the team... It seemed like Harris was the only player in the second half who had any spark on the offensive end - he had little trouble slashing to the hoop... Diop brought some good energy to the game & did a pretty decent job clogging up the lane against Golden State's small ball - unfortunately the rest of his team started slumping defensively when Diop stepped up, so his efforts went largely unnoticed...

This game turned out how I expected it to... I honestly thought we had a good chance of winning when we went into halftime at 38-38 - the score definetly favored Dallas... Oh well, what's done is done... Now the Mavs have to come out and play their game, rather than trying to match Nellie's gimmicks...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-23-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #95
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
I'll give you Diop. George had a good 1st quarter, that's pretty much it. Harris wasn't driving the ball enough tonight. And half the time he did, he missed the layup. I think more than any one thing that went wrong tonight, it was how many points in the paint the team missed. We would've won had they made most of them.
Harris had the right idea in driving to the basket. I think Avery held him back by forcing him to play offensive sets...which by the 4th quarter someone should've realized that those sets weren't working, and that it would've been easier to just go to the basket.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #96
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I also think that Avery was so concerned with controlling the tempo that we never really attacked when we got a turnover. How many points did we score off turnovers? Not many is my guess.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #97
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
I also think that Avery was so concerned with controlling the tempo that we never really attacked when we got a turnover. How many points did we score off turnovers? Not many is my guess.

True, especially since we forced a lot of turnovers & the Warriors had a fair amount of blunders as well... We just never took advantage of those situations like GS did...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-23-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #98
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Dallas is fine and will still win this series - small ball or no. This series looks like it'll play out similar to last year's Phoenix series. Dallas looked rusty in many places (not just in their poor shooting) in the opening game there, but in the end, the Mavs were too much. I'll be looking for Dirk to come out next game and tear it up getting back into his regular beastly playoff form.

I'd also like to see a lot of Diop because I think he was key to us beating Phoenix. If we stop them from getting easy layups (as they got many of last night), then we should win this series. Let Harrington get some mildly contested 3 pointers as opposed to others getting layups. Dampier's footwork and response quickness is significantly worse than Diop's. Hopefully, Diop doesn't get so many weak calls in the future. WTF was Stackhouse doing? Not only was he not making shots, but he just looked really lazy out there like it was a pre-season game. IMO, he should be on a very short leash. Put Buck in there instead - he isn't going to turn the ball over repeatedly, be a defensive liability, and take bad shots.

Another key is not doubling Baron if possible because that tended to result in an open 3 pointer or a layup for someone else. Harris needs to deny, deny, deny him the ball. Double him in the back court, then deny him the ball. It does look like Buck matches up defensively best with Baron 1 on 1 after he receives the ball. I also thought George played him really well and got a couple of bad foul calls when he was playing good defense. At the very least, he mostly kept it 1 on 1 and didn't allow him to get a close shot and as long as Baron's taking mostly long shots, he will not stay hot for long. Remember that during the season he had many low %, high volume shooting nights that killed his team.

Last edited by joemoeschmoe; 04-23-2007 at 10:25 AM.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #99
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I bet the #1 thing Nellie told his team in practice is to switch off our picks. If you notice almost any Mavs game we set great picks and have wide open jumpers. You rarely saw a wide open jumper in this game, and when you did the Mavs missed it. There has to be adjustments made or we will lose this series. But Dirk should never be the center again in this series it makes us too soft.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #100
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Choke Mc'Chokerson
that sadly is the problem
Old 04-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #101
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Every time Dirk got the ball in the post, he attempts to spin, which normally works but not last nite...every time he spins there is a GS defender ready to attack Dirk during his spin to steal the the ball.....Nellie must helped Dirk create that move b/c they was waiting on that move each and every time.

After 3 successful steals on that move...Dirk finally got smart in the 4th Q and picked the ball up on his spin dribble...but why the 4thQ before he noticed???....why didint the Mav coachin staff notice sooner and make adjustments?

What happened to all the "We will play our Bigs to make GS rebound"???...what this a ploy to throw GS off their original small ball run and gun?

Why does it seem that when AJ is coaching against a more experience coach or mentor, he gets out-coached?

Still has anybody figured out why a 67 win, 1st seed PO team adjusted to play with a 8th seed?

Why is AJ worried about offensive production from the 5 position when we have Dirk, Jho, Stack, and Terry...isnt this enuff offense?

Where is Jet?

Where and who was that imposter that resembles Stack?

How did B-Diddy get 14 boards?

Why did Stephen Jackson and Stackhouse swap out offensive prowess?

How can Devin blow past 2 or 3 defenders and totally blow the layup?

Why didnt Diop play more considereing the fact he brought energy and
clogged the lane from BD (even tho when it was clogged he simply shot a 3 and made it over Devin)?

Where is Damp?

Why dont Del Harris over-ride AJ when he is being outcoached or at least remind him of how sick and twisted Nellie is?

Dont Nellie always look like he is drinking Scotch (even during post game conference)?

Should'nt there be some kind of NBA rule where no one under 6-10 can play Center?...lol

Didnt Diop look just as fast and maybe can keep up with Harrington?

Umm, JRich didint even play well...How many games will he score less than 20? (no too many more)

Where the hell is Golden State?.....San Fran right?

Can sumbody answer any of this?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #102
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

The Mavs got caught up with everyone saying they can play any style of basketball. They can't. They need to play their ball not play Warriors ball because fact is the Warriors have the personnel to play that way and they're better at it. Mavs may have the personnel to play run and gun against the Spurs but not the Warriors or Suns. When AJ realizes this wake me up.

Stackhouse was horrible. Showed 0 effort. With Dirk the Warriors just played him great. Guard him with athletic swingman and occasionally double. Dirk's not good at passing out of the double and the fact that his team sat and watched him when he had the ball only hurt.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #103
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
GS is a toy of a team and NOT a contender at any level in the NBA. Anyone that believes this believes in Fools Gold. How could you ever compare GS to the Suns? Then to comare Amare to Al? Come on Chum, we know that you are a GS and Nellie fan, but how could you put GS in the same sentence with "CONTENDER"?
I disagree. They're contenders based on their guards and athleticism alone. Every guy they have can jump out of the gym. They're alot more athletic then the Suns are. People underrated the Warriors going in and maybe Mavs win 4 straight after yesterday's game but I guarantee there won't be any blowouts. Nellie is too good of a coach and Warriors are to good of a team. The Mavs look like the Spurs did against us in the 1st 2 games of last year's 2nd round.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #104
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict

Why does it seem that when AJ is coaching against a more experience coach or mentor, he gets out-coached?
I'm only going to answer this question. Think about the question you're asking. You want to know why someone is outdone by someone else with more experience who mentored him. Doesn't your question answer itself within the question. THEY'RE MORE EXPERIENCED AND THEY MENTORED HIM! Come on.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #105
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I disagree. They're contenders based on their guards and athleticism alone. Every guy they have can jump out of the gym. They're alot more athletic then the Suns are. People underrated the Warriors going in and maybe Mavs win 4 straight after yesterday's game but I guarantee there won't be any blowouts. Nellie is too good of a coach and Warriors are to good of a team. The Mavs look like the Spurs did against us in the 1st 2 games of last year's 2nd round.
Come on, how can anyone say that GS is contenders? The true fact is that they match-up well against the Mavs. That does nothing to say they are contenders. If they are contenders, then we need to re-value the word "Contender", and just call any team with athletic players "Contenders"

Then lets take off Mavs, Spurs, Pistons, Heat,Cavs and Bulls as "Contenders, because none of these teams are really athletic like Suns and GS. We can all assume that the Suns and GS have been athletic for a very long time. I would go back about 17 yrs on this issue. Now, lets count how many titles these athletic teams have? None. Lets now count how many Finals series? One.. So, calling a team "Contender" based on athletic players does not fit too well. I think the one athletic team that can win a title is the current Suns team. I think they have the pieces with Nash to break this mold, but again, this would just a one-time thing. JMVHO
Old 04-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #106
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I'm only going to answer this question. Think about the question you're asking. You want to know why someone is outdone by someone else with more experience who mentored him. Doesn't your question answer itself within the question. THEY'RE MORE EXPERIENCED AND THEY MENTORED HIM! Come on.
Damn!!!!! Need I say more on this....Lets just all 4get that he even asked this question to us all
The rest of his point on his post hit it on the head...So lets give him a pass..
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #107
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Damn!!!!! Need I say more on this....Lets just all 4get that he even asked this question to us all
The rest of his point on his post hit it on the head...So lets give him a pass..

Umm, just b/c he AJ is less experienced doesnt necessarily mean a more experience coach will out-coach him...however that seems the case.

I understand maybe if majority of the time this happens but only seem like Pop, Nellie, Phil, and Pat Riley has AJ's number....oh sometime D'antoni

Correct me if im wrong but dont 50105011541800% of the coaches in the NBA have more experience than AJ, hmmmmm i wonder why they dont out-coach AJ?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #108
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Golden State is not a contender -- not even close. They can match up with the mavs a little because of that one little thing the Mavs don't have -- a 4 or a 5 with some inside O. Put them in a seven game series against a team with a legit low post player and they don't have a prayer.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #109
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest

DTown are you the same Dtown that was on the Star telegram Mav forum?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #110
Underdog

Last edited by Underdog; 04-23-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #111
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:

Correct me if im wrong but dont 50105011541800% of the coaches in the NBA have more experience than AJ, hmmmmm i wonder why they dont out-coach AJ?
Did they all mentor him too?

It was a bad question let it go. The rest were good.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-23-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #112
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Umm, just b/c he AJ is less experienced doesnt necessarily mean a more experience coach will out-coach him...however that seems the case.

I understand maybe if majority of the time this happens but only seem like Pop, Nellie, Phil, and Pat Riley has AJ's number....oh sometime D'antoni

You miss the whole point, and you decided to put your signature with a quote from an ole school player like Kareem? And then decide to make this point. You miss the whole point of coach match-ups in series against Avery. The guys asked why does Avery get outcoached by more experienced coaches or mentors? Think long and hard about that question, and you will see the answer..Trust me, the answer is located in the question..Someone please help...
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #113
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
[B]Best signs

Few and far between.

One woman held up a Dirk for MVP placard that put Steve Nash in his place.

The sign read: "Simple math... 44 > 13."

But Mavs fans really need to get more creative.

If I see another "Whoa, Nellie" sign, I think I will break somebody's crayons.
...Austin Croshere > Steve Nash? Who knew!

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #114
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Hey, Stephen Jackson has one of the slowest deliveries in the league. Why can't Dallas close on it?
Because it looks like he's faking it's so slow.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #115
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
Golden State is not a contender -- not even close. They can match up with the mavs a little because of that one little thing the Mavs don't have -- a 4 or a 5 with some inside O. Put them in a seven game series against a team with a legit low post player and they don't have a prayer.
hell, Diop/Damp could BE that 'legit' player with Harrington at center. They just didn't use them that way. hell, Diop made a few good baskets last night.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #116
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BaD radio just reminded me of something I was screaming about in the gameday thread....

Avery might want to calm down a little bit in game two and save MAYBE a timeout or two in case it's a close game.

Can you imagine the backlash if we had remained close to the end and needed a timeout to move the ball up for a shot to tie/win the game?

That would have dwarfed the backlash over the lineup decision.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #117
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Avery might want to calm down a little bit in game two and save MAYBE a timeout or two in case it's a close game.
The Harris injury was the reason we used our last timeout. It's hard to plan for something like that.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #118
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
The Harris injury was the reason we used our last timeout. It's hard to plan for something like that.
I realize that, but are you comfortable with one?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #119
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Here's the key:

"On Dirk's poor play. Dirk could be more of a threat down low if we had anyone who could throw in a post entry pass. All our guards wait so long, they telegraph the pass before it gets there. Dirk ends up losing position to come out to get the pass. It is troubling to see the MVP having to work that hard to receive a pass near the arc! Redirkulous."

You can front Dirk and not worry that anyone on Dallas will throw him a lob pass--they can't. Of course it doesn't help that Dirk doesn't have the lower body strength or jumping ability to make it an easy pass.

If Dirk is going to have to come all the way out to the three-point line to get the ball, and then have to either force up a contested three-point shot (no matter how tall the defender) or try to beat a man 6" shorter on the dribble--with a double team coming, then he's not going to be a factor.

Dallas needs to find a way to get Dirk the ball closer to the basket (like put a guy in each corner & space the guards so Dirk can catch the ball at the free throw line--and someone needs to at least try to throw it over the fronting if they try to play in front of Dirk that far out), it needs to use backdoor cuts to limit the fronting, it needs to play Dampier some and throw him the ball on the post and see if he can beat Harrington, and go bigger, protect the basket and make Golden State beat it with long jumpshots.

Devin Harris should play Baron Davis & pressure him and deny the ball--and Dallas needs to be ready with a double team if Nellie tries to post him. Or, maybe better yet, play a zone. Dallas doesn't beat Golden State playing Nellie Ball.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #120
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I realize that, but are you comfortable with one?
I understand why we only had one - AJ was trying anything and everything to stay in the game. A lot of coaches burn up their timeouts in that situation.

I'm more unhappy with the starting lineup change than anything. Dirk cannot do Dampier's job. Dampier sets between two and three picks on EVERY offensive set and our offense depends on it. It is no coincidence that we had trouble scoring last night. And the defensive problems of having Dirk as the last line of defense is well documented.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote