Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #81
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

The Mavs lost because they don't have a 2nd string point guard. When Kidd sat down, the team fell apart.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #82
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm starting to wonder if he can't keep up with faster-paced basketball (Kidd) any longer...
Was Avery up to something when he slowed the pace and the Mavs got better? All the stats show that the medium paced Mavs team was the most efficient in the league a year back. Could this faster paced team force Dirk to use his legs too much and it takes away from his jumper? Could be? I think this could be a part of it, and if so, Dirk needs to know that his NBA team needs him more than his German team getting bronze medals every year. Plus, the employer that pays you the most should win out

Maybe Carlisle could rest Dirk a bit more towards the end of the 2nd quarter and get some early rest in the middle of the 3rd quarter and bring him back in to close out the 3rd quarter and rest a bit in the early 4th quarter. During these times, we go into an all out sprint with Kidd, Green, Jet, Bass and Howard team.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #83
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
I understand, but I would rather say he did not put forth the effort, than to say he put forth the effort and played down right horrible. IMO
you might prefer to say that, but you'd be wrong

Quote:
I saw the airball in a different way. I saw the airball coming from a player who does not want to be the difference maker that night and was forced to shot due to the wide open shot.
then what do you say about the hustle back to the other end to break up the break?

Quote:
I saw the same thing when he gave up his shot to throw it to Stack with about 3sec left on the shot clock to put Stack in a horrible position to score.
then what do you say to the 10 seconds of trying to get around the defender before that pass?

Quote:
I also saw a guy that does not want to put forth an effort on defense to try to block out and defend Gasol in the wanning moments.
He was trying not to foul out. Dirk has never figured out how to play defense in that situation. He has always resorted to a little extra matador or the frustration like, half disguised pushes that he gave Pau last night. No doubt it's weak, but it's bad problem solving, not lack of effort.

Quote:
To me, that means Dirk should not have been out there . . .
that's crazy, short-sighted talk. Of course Dirk should be out there. Always. It's not a catch 22 that he's the best player . . . He's the best player so he should be out there. Period. You don't sit your best player because of an off day. Best players are best players because they so often come through even on an off day. Last night Dirk didn't come through, but it's just not thoughtful to say they should've given up on him last night.

Quote:
You know what, if we all say that he put forth an effort and just came up entirely empty, then what we are really saying is that Dirk is on the way down and his time has passed.
Or that he's being worked too hard right now in practice, or that he's generally frustrated, or that he's in a slump, or that the summer took it's toll on him or that . . . (blah, blah, the million other things we might 'really' be saying if we put forth some effort to think it through.)

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 11-12-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #84
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

UL,
The hustle to get back was just that. Hustle to get back. Nothing special, just a play Dik decided to hustle.

As far as that play at the end with giving the ball to Stack. Dirk did not try to get past Gasol. Dirk only tried to get Gasol off balance to take a fadaway shot. As you know, if Dirk gets in a triple threat he is going to get past Gasol from the 3rd point line. Dirk was not in a triple threat, Dirk was in position to just shot.

Back to the foul. Dirk did NOTHING to get in position to rebound and put his team in the best position to get the ball back. Dirk just watched everyone else play defense, and when the ball came off the rim, he was out of position due to watching on defense.

On the Catch 22, I said there was no way to justify not having your best player out there. I stated Catch 22 because if that was any other player playing like that, they would be on the bench at that time. IMO

I have never heard of a Superstar being worked too hard, so I dont even consider that. He is not in a slump, because he has some good scoring nights against lesser teams this season. He is not frustrated, because he looked like the ole Dirk against the Spurs. Now, for the summer, I do believe that plays a good part, but that is only with the stamina. The heart is another thing, so I cant blame that on the summer. IMO
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #85
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for being the voice of reason UL. I didn't see alot of Dirk not trying last night....just failing, and he certainly seemed frustrated at the end of the game.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #86
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

another disappointed game
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #87
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Thanks for being the voice of reason UL. I didn't see alot of Dirk not trying last night....just failing, and he certainly seemed frustrated at the end of the game.
I don't think thats really the voice of reason. You could make a case that Dirk was trying, but he was trying all the wrong things (forcing). He made what 1 maybe 2 layups and the rest were severely contested shots, he even missed the open man (especially Green) a number of times. His defense was very lack luster and after talking about his teams effort and play he lays an egg and gave less than 100% effort. Hopefully he was frustrated about his overall play and not attacking the rim, not just frustrated that his shot wasn't falling and they lost.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #88
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Gerald Green is the truth. I can see his desire and his heart. I still remember earlier in the season Gerald said he wanted to be a "Great Player" in this league, I can see it when he plays that he means what he said. We got a steal in that kid, now all we have to do is wait for Dirk to get fully healthy and play with some intensity especially in 4th quarters and we'll make progress.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #89
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The Ariza dunk after the ft and Pau's 3pt play were both due to Dirk's lack of effort on blocking out. The poor attempt at defense on Ariza after he grabbed the board is just lack of ability, and the weak foul on Pau was becuse he knew he was in foul trouble and he had a split second of hesitation.

I'll give him a pass on the poor offensive showing.

Last edited by FreshJive; 11-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #90
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I know the team is 2-5 and all, but I can't bring myself to get upset just yet. Yes, the team has problems, but I'm going to give them some time. I still hope they trade Stackhouse and Bass, and I'm starting to wonder why they brought Diop back, but the team has a good starting lineup that can compete with anyone, and they have the potential to have a good bench, particularly if Glass continues to develop.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #91
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk sucks - trade him to the Lakers for a few of their spares and pair him up with Kobe... Go Lakers!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #92
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
I'm starting to wonder why they brought Diop back
Because Cuban loves over-paid, under-performing centers...

Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #93
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

..and Cue the over-protective defenders of Dampier.

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-12-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #94
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know the team is 2-5 and all, but I can't bring myself to get upset just yet. Yes, the team has problems, but I'm going to give them some time. I still hope they trade Stackhouse and Bass, and I'm starting to wonder why they brought Diop back, but the team has a good starting lineup that can compete with anyone, and they have the potential to have a good bench, particularly if Glass continues to develop.
Are you confusing Gerald Green with former Ole Miss great Gerald Glass?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #95
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

So after the game, I had some cereal, jerked off, slept, and now have awaken!

i agree with kg veteran, I wanna see a trade involving Stack/Bass. Those players are the epitome of inefficient. They show flashes here and there (such as Stack's 17 last night), but for the most part aren't consistent enough for us to consider our bench effective or deep.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #96
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
So after the game, I had some cereal, jerked off, slept, and now have awaken!

i agree with kg veteran, I wanna see a trade involving Stack/Bass. Those players are the epitome of inefficient. They show flashes here and there (such as Stack's 17 last night), but for the most part aren't consistent enough for us to consider our bench effective or deep.
Yes I like cereal that much too.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #97
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Are you confusing Gerald Green with former Ole Miss great Gerald Glass?
Ha! That was a slip of the tongue (or the keyboard). Of course, since I know you remember Gerald Glass, you'll agree with me that his body type and game were much more, um, earthbound than Green...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #98
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Any realistic trade involving a core player though such as Jho or Terry would be a lateral move at best though IMO. a real upgrade would be trading spares for a good player. A good player for a slightly better good player (assuming such was even available) doesn't get me too excited.

I'm so confused how blowing leads and late game piss poor execution seem to be a part of this team's identity. It's nothing new, it was a problem in close games last year.

Look at the Nuggets game, look at the Lakers game. We have a chance to tie, not only do we not get a clean look, we don't even get a look. What the hell?

Why? WHY? why? Lack of slashing perhaps? Variance? Identity?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #99
Underdog

Quote:
Any realistic trade involving a core player though such as Jho or Terry would be a lateral move at best though IMO. a real upgrade would be trading spares for a good player.
So how do you convince another team to take your spares in exchange for a good player???

(it's not like we have any massive expiring contracts or decent draft picks to offer...)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #100
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ha! That was a slip of the tongue (or the keyboard). Of course, since I know you remember Gerald Glass, you'll agree with me that his body type and game were much more, um, earthbound than Green...
That's what makes the reference so random. Why would you be thinking about Gerald Glass .
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #101
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
That's what makes the reference so random. Why would you be thinking about Gerald Glass .
It has to be the similarity of their names, not their games.

Who knows how the brain works, particularly when you are typing quickly...

All and still, Glass looks like a keeper.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #102
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Any realistic trade involving a core player though such as Jho or Terry would be a lateral move at best though IMO. a real upgrade would be trading spares for a good player. A good player for a slightly better good player (assuming such was even available) doesn't get me too excited.

I'm so confused how blowing leads and late game piss poor execution seem to be a part of this team's identity. It's nothing new, it was a problem in close games last year.

Look at the Nuggets game, look at the Lakers game. We have a chance to tie, not only do we not get a clean look, we don't even get a look. What the hell?

When games get tough down the stretch I believe you absolutely have to have an efficient low post scorer. We currently don't have anything meriting a low post threat AT ALL and teams are killing us because of it.

I love when we play teams without a low post threat and you have to believe other teams like playing us for the exact same reason.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #103
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

My stab is ...Shell shocked from years past late in games. Deathly fear of losing late in the games that mentally stems back to Miami series. They lock up and cease to run smoothly and function properly especially on offense. Seems like everyone is afraid to take it strong to the bucket late.

Maybe Green is the guy we need that will get to the bucket late, he seems pretty fearless thus far and I eagerly await him starting SG with KIDD,JHO,DIRK,DAMP and eager to have him on the floor late in the games too.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #104
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

When J-Ho gets back Mavs need to start:

C- Damp
PF - Dirk
SF - J-Ho
SG - Green
PG - Kidd
6th - Jet

JJB? Uh, not gonna get it done. Sign Marbury. Mavs 08/09 NBA champs. life is complete. the end.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #105
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Maybe Green is the guy we need that will get to the bucket late, he seems pretty fearless thus far and I eagerly await him starting SG with KIDD,JHO,DIRK,DAMP and eager to have him on the floor late in the games too.
I'm excited to see that lineup as well.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #106
ghazi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
When games get tough down the stretch I believe you absolutely have to have an efficient low post scorer. We currently don't have anything meriting a low post threat AT ALL and teams are killing us because of it.

I love when we play teams without a low post threat and you have to believe other teams like playing us for the exact same reason.

Perhaps this is the case, but didnt' we do well in close games in the '06-'07 season?

I somewhat agree though. a low post scorer or atleast a slasher to break down defenses and create some good perimeter looks. We can't create any open looks when it seems when we really need it. a defense is not going to allow an alley oop or a backdoor in the latter part of a tight game (saw kIdd do that a few times effectively last night).
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #107
ghazi
Platinum Member

Quote:
So how do you convince another team to take your spares in exchange for a good player???

(it's not like we have any massive expiring contracts or decent draft picks to offer...)

I dunno, lol... but I feel trading Jho/Terry would be a lateral move at best. So perhaps we're stuck as we are...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #108
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The league has shown that it will give bailout packages to struggling teams (Garnett, Gasol, Artest), so why not try to get in on the action ourselves?
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #109
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

My cat came back to life today. I'm less gloomy.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #110
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Bass+Stack should fetch a pretty solid two guard.

Gerald Green Light should be the 6-7th man a la JR Smith.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #111
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Bass+Stack should fetch a pretty solid two guard.
Like? I'm all ears.

Quote:
Gerald Green Light should be the 6-7th man a la JR Smith.
If you get a solid two guard (starter?) in return for Stack/Bass, you're looking at Green being a 4th guard and backup SF.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #112
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy ALL View Post
When J-Ho gets back Mavs need to start:

C- Damp
PF - Dirk
SF - J-Ho
SG - Green
PG - Kidd
6th - Jet

JJB? Uh, not gonna get it done. Sign Marbury. Mavs 08/09 NBA champs. life is complete. the end.
Isn't that what we've been doing? Except Josh was hurt last night but that's the same core of players who are 2-4.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #113
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Isn't that what we've been doing? Except Josh was hurt last night but that's the same core of players who are 2-4.
Not really - we've been starting JET, Stack and Wright at SG so far...

Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #114
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like? I'm all ears.

If you get a solid two guard (starter?) in return for Stack/Bass, you're looking at Green being a 4th guard and backup SF.
Depending how good this new solid two guard starter is, he could make Terry look a lot better at point. Kidd-Newguy-Howard starting, with Terry playing backup at 1 and 2, and with Green playing the rest of the 2 guard minutes and as the main backup at the 3. Green looked awfully good as a 3 to start the game last night.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 11-12-2008 at 02:25 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #115
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Guys I don't think we need another wing, why not trade for chris kaman? Bass+stack+cash for Kaman. I don't know if the salaries work though. It makes little sense to trade for another guard while Gerald is clearly showing us that he should be a starter.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #116
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

There is a tweener problem. Carlisle doesn't think in terms of tweeners.

Dirk is a Tweener. He plays like a 3, but can't guard one.
Jet is a Tweener. Can't really play a pure point, where the goal is to set things up for others. He isn't strong enough to play a real 2.
Bass is a Tweener. Not big enough for a power forward, too slow for a 3.

Kidd is a pure 1. Stack and Green are pure 2s. JHo is a pure 3. Damp is a pure 5.

Diop plays a good defensive 5, but brings no offense. Wright plays a good defensive 2, but offers little offense. JJB plays a decent offensive 1, but is a huge liability defensively. They are not tweeners, just limited players.

Under Carlisle, the tweeners are all suffering. His system doesn't depend on isolation plays that allow tweeners to create valuable mismatches.

We are in a shake out run. It will be interesting to see who goes first, Carlisle or featured players. I don't get the feeling Carlisle cares. He seems quite confident in what he is doing. I suspect Carlisle is willing to lose a lot of games up front if it allows him to build the kind of team he thinks wins championships.

Last edited by joebobbill; 11-12-2008 at 02:59 PM.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #117
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like? I'm all ears.

"4th guard and backup SF" is equivalent to the 6th-8th man IMO.

I still don't know why we have Bass. He is a great talent and can be a good player. But our best player plays the same position. Not sure why we're not taking advantage of that asset.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #118
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Like i said before the season, the Mavs will be in bottom 2 for playoffs or no playoffs for Mavs. The west is just to good for us. Our team is made up wrong also. Kidd is good if he can run and this takes Dampier and maybe even Diop out of the game. Even if you leave our big guys in a slow game, how can they compete with Gasol, Bynum and Odom? Green looks like a good pick up and as far as other guys off our bench or someone they want to give playing time to, it will be Terry in the end that is better. That makes us small but he is better with a pg in the game feeding him like Kidd.

Avery started off right and taught us defense and made us tough and to play like Spurs basketball. Later on, i am not sure what Avery wanted because our team would not respond and i also saw some bad coaching on his part. Harris could run or play stand still. When we got Kidd we had to run or an up tempo game but this takes us to small ball because it takes our bigs out. We are just not deep enough to hang with the west and we never addressed two positions we are weak on. We hung tough with the Lakers and made it close.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #119
mavs531

mavs531 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirk was double teamed all night. That is how LA plays teams, they take out the other team's best player...
Um... that's how every team should play and normally they do!
It looks like a average Mavs team if you ask me! it sux
mavs531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #120
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
My stab is ...Shell shocked from years past late in games. Deathly fear of losing late in the games that mentally stems back to Miami series. They lock up and cease to run smoothly and function properly especially on offense. Seems like everyone is afraid to take it strong to the bucket late.
I basically agree with this. I'm not sure if I'd use the word "deathly fear," but I think the guys are no longer comfortable winning close games. They used to be very comfortable with it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote