Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #81
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
How does that prove Avery is a moran when 1) according to Fish Avery was the one that didn't want to include Diop in the trade and 2) Diop is player fewer minutes per game than he did under Avery and Bass is about the same?
Trading him wasn't Avery's fault. Not playing him was. I merely bring that up because when we traded Diop everyone around here justified it by saying "Well, we're not using him." Also, the main selling point of the trade was that the current makeup of the team wasn't working and something drastic had to be done. Firing Avery on the spot would've been drastic enough for me, at least in the short run. Bottom line, a lot of thing were wrong with the team, but Devin Harris wasn't one of them.

As for Diop's minutes this year, he simply hasn't played well. Doesn't mean we should get rid of him.

Quote:
I agree that he should have never been in the trade in the first place. New Jersey didn't need him. That's my big criticism of the organization. It's not that thay made the trade but that they got bent over in the execution. We were already trading young for old, there was no reason for us to sweeten the deal the way we did. That killed any realistic chance of improving the team around Kidd.
No kidding. It's been asked that if we traded Dirk today, could we get as good a deal for him as New Jersey got for Kidd? I wonder.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-19-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #82
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
No kidding. It's been asked that if we traded Dirk today, could we get as good a deal for him as New Jersey got for Kidd? I wonder.
if you trade Dirk this season or summer I think you could get a very good deal. Next season I'd say prob not so much, but still some good pieces
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #83
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know, I'm the one who asked it .
Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #84
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Unless y'all win a title then the trade was a failure, only because you gave up a quality younger player and multiple picks.

But can you really get mad at the owner for trying to win? I wish more owners were that way....

Last edited by kingmalaki; 12-19-2008 at 11:44 PM.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #85
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki View Post
Unless y'all win a title then the trade was a failure, only because you gave up a quality younger player and multiple picks.

But can you really get mad at the owner for trying to win? I wish more owners were that way....
If in trying to win he does stupid things and gets the team farther from a title, then yes, I can be very mad at the owner.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #86
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

So after tonight's game, in which Devin went off on us for 41, honestly, does anyone here still think we got the best of end of the trade?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #87
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
So after tonight's game, in which Devin went off on us for 41, honestly, does anyone here still think we got the best of end of the trade?
I'm not sure yet. Remind me what you thought of the Nash deal.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #88
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm not sure yet. Remind me what you thought of the Nash deal.
Apples and oranges, man. I'll say that I believe it was the wrong decision, and that's as far as I will go.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #89
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If in trying to win he does stupid things and gets the team farther from a title, then yes, I can be very mad at the owner.
To me, obtaining Kidd is still a good move but it's incomplete because, as you mentioned before, it's missing half the puzzle. It's missing a wing player that can really add a major dimension to our roster.

Quote:
I didn't watch the game, but I've stood by this belief: If you can tell me for a fact that with Carlisle, and this roster that Devin would put up the numbers he has now...then we got the bad end of the deal. There is no way of knowing that though. All I know is he's doing well there and we're still missing a piece to go with the roster. So it's just a major What If and To Be Continued for a long time.

The FO opened the door to take a chance, they only peeked in, they just need to go all the way with it. They need to finish the plan.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #90
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
To me, obtaining Kidd is still a good move but it's incomplete because, as you mentioned before, it's missing half the puzzle. It's missing a wing player that can really add a major dimension to our roster.

I didn't watch the game, but I've stood by this belief: If you can tell me for a fact that with Carlisle, and this roster that Devin would put up the numbers he has now...then we got the bad end of the deal. There is no way of knowing that though. All I know is he's doing well there and we're still missing a piece to go with the roster. So it's just a major What If and To Be Continued for a long time.

The FO opened the door to take a chance, they only peeked in, they just need to go all the way with it. They need to finish the pla
n.

Meaning?

I'm sure you don't mean constantly punching us in the crotch.

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-20-2008 at 08:49 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #91
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post

The FO opened the door to take a chance, they only peeked in, they just need to go all the way with it. They need to finish the plan.

I honestly still can't believe that some of you still believe this was a good trade. The point isn't that Harris would have played this well here. The point is that Harris was young and JUST STARTING to blossum and the Mavs bailed on him(plus Diop and 2 first round picks) when everybody knew he was going to be a very good player. All the talk at the time was how badly the Mavs were sucking without him. So, they traded him. Everybody knows you don't mortgage your future for old guys. Everyone except Cuban I guess. There is also the possiblity that Cuban did this trade because he wanted to be buddies with Jason Kidd.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #92
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Meaning?

I'm sure you don't mean constantly punching us in the crotch.
Meaning what jthig just posted in his thread...they need to finish the Kidd deal off by bringing in what we have always needed...a legit SG, if not that...then a legit big.

I didn't really see a guaranteed great future for Devin HERE. I like Kidd, and I like the fact that we have him. Did we give up a lot to get him, I would say so...that's the only real beef I have with the deal. I still think we could get some improvements on the deal if Wright can show us more.

I understand the issue of giving up a lot in return, I have no problems with that at all.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #93
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Finishing the Kidd deal is impossible because we spent all of our (good) assets to get him. We aren't getting a legit two guard AND a post presence with what we have to offer now. Maybe one, but I wouldn't be surprised if our front office sat around and expected a title with what we have. They seem to oblivious to how medicore the Mavs have become.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #94
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
Finishing the Kidd deal is impossible because we spent all of our (good) assets to get him. We aren't getting a legit two guard AND a post presence with what we have to offer now. Maybe one, but I wouldn't be surprised if our front office sat around and expected a title with what we have. They seem to oblivious to how medicore the Mavs have become.
I'm pretty certain they can't get both pieces. If they realize they can't be so stubborn with their love/opinion high value of certain players, then they can probably get one of the pieces. It depends on who you ask for which piece they need to address first, some will say it's the big man while others will say it's the SG/wing player. I think a majority will say it's the SG/wing though.

I think this summer was a very critical time for our FO to show that they weren't just sitting on their prior results by saying "don't worry, this team is close" or "we are going to make some significant moves" I think they said pretty much both of those things and fell flat based on what we expected from that. You can't build up the hope of your fanbase to a level like that and not really bring home the results and expect them to be very happy about it. They need to do something and have it work out or they're in severe trouble.

Tags
crying about devin harris, groundhog day, life in a loop