Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #81
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
*busts out Orville Redenbacher*
*watches attentively*
Sounds good. I don't have any more to say on that subject though. Playoffs are unpredictable and matchups are very important. Dirk has high standards to live up to though by his regular season achievements and offensive efficiency. We'll see if this is his year.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-18-2010 at 02:23 AM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #82
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
I don't feel at ease in the playoffs due to his streakiness to be generous. Mavs vs Rockets (shouldn't have gone 7), Mavs vs. Heat (missed free throws and poor shooting percentage), and Mavs vs. Warriors (Couldn't post up smalls) are 3 times he failed us. Yes every year is a new year and with the right chemistry blend, he may find a comfort zone in the playoffs. We'll find out. But this is really off topic. You really have it in for me.
He pretty much found his comfort zone against Denver. Perhaps if the other players had been able to do something in that series; that would have helped. I remember Terry doing nothing, Damp being ineffective against Denver's bigs, the overall bench not doing much-Wright was unable to foul Melo enough to where the refs would call it. Howard wasn't able to do anything due to his constant ankle issues, so he couldn't help out at all.
Dirk was terrible in the Finals-the team in general was very ineffective. He was dreadful against GS. Don't recall anyone outside of Howard playing well against the Warriors. Maybe if an actual center had been used for that series, considering the centers had helped with that 67 wins season and all.
But I am curious, did you hold the other players accountable for their failures in the playoffs or just the one guy?
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 AM   #83
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
He pretty much found his comfort zone against Denver. Perhaps if the other players had been able to do something in that series; that would have helped. I remember Terry doing nothing, Damp being ineffective against Denver's bigs, the overall bench not doing much-Wright was unable to foul Melo enough to where the refs would call it. Howard wasn't able to do anything due to his constant ankle issues, so he couldn't help out at all.
Dirk was terrible in the Finals-the team in general was very ineffective. He was dreadful against GS. Don't recall anyone outside of Howard playing well against the Warriors. Maybe if an actual center had been used for that series, considering the centers had helped with that 67 wins season and all.
But I am curious, did you hold the other players accountable for their failures in the playoffs or just the one guy?
No doubt that other players are held responsible to but being the star player, you gotta do well or at least close to average for the team to succeed in the playoffs. And yeah Terry was the one that let us down last year. He is streaky and fell into a slump at the worst time. Kidd's defense against Billups hurt us to though Billups abuses a lot of players. So yeah Dirk has to continue the way he played last year and maybe the help will be there now.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #84
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Dirk is 23/8 in the regular season, 25/11 in the playoffs, and 30/13 in elimination games. Real Mavs fans don't need this kind of stuff explained to them.
Quote:
Real Mavs fans deny that Dirk ever struggled in the playoffs?

Could a mod please change this troll's screen name to something else?

EDIT: (I happen to see a wonderful suggestion down in the tags!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-18-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #85
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Real Mavs fans deny that Dirk ever struggled in the playoffs? And of course your total stats look better in the playoffs as you get more minutes. 04-05 Dirk shot 40.2% in 13 games. In 06-07 Dirk shot 38.3% in 5 games. Dirk did do well in 05-06 and 08-09 but I remember him struggling against Miami the whole series. Which would've won us a title if he played up to his statndards. He lit up Miami in the regular season I remember to. I don't want to be annoyingly blunt so I thought it was better said on spurstalk than here. But Cadbane wanted to start trouble.

Career playoff averages:

25.7 PPG, 11.4 RPG, 2.7 APG

He's one of FIVE NBA players to average 25 and 10 in the playoffs. Here's the list:

Shaq
Hakeem
Wilt
Baylor
Dirk

No McHale, Russell, Jabbar, Garnett, Bird, Pippen, Johnson, Ewing, Duncan, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, etc, etc.
================================================== ==============================

Dirk's career playoff averages (in 87 games, basically an NBA season) is higher than his regular season averages. So he plays better in the playoffs against the tougher competition. He rebounds mores, he scores more, he passes and blocks more. His FG%, 3P%, FT% is almost identical.

Regular season career averages:

22.9 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 2.7 APG, 0.8 APG, 1 BPG

Playoff career averages:

25.7 PPG, 11.4 RPG, 2.7 APG, 1.2 SPG, 1.5 BPG
================================================== ==============================

Dirk's teams are undefeated in double elimination games.

4-0 in Game 7 of a 7-game series
1-0 in Game 5 of a 5-game series

I'm so sick of Dirk being labeled as a choker, or non-performer in the playoffs. It's sickening that after everything this guy has accomplished people (including some Mavs fans apparently) still label him as such. Dirk is the greatest thing to ever happen to this franchise. For you to use a blanket statement that he "chokes under pressure" is a complete fallacy and is ignorant to what he's done as a Mav IN big spots.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 03-18-2010 at 06:22 AM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Real Mavs fans deny that Dirk ever struggled in the playoffs? And of course your total stats look better in the playoffs as you get more minutes. 04-05 Dirk shot 40.2% in 13 games. In 06-07 Dirk shot 38.3% in 5 games. Dirk did do well in 05-06 and 08-09 but I remember him struggling against Miami the whole series. Which would've won us a title if he played up to his statndards. He lit up Miami in the regular season I remember to. I don't want to be annoyingly blunt so I thought it was better said on spurstalk than here. But Cadbane wanted to start trouble.
I'm temporarily lifting my embargo against responding to terrible posters here:

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. No one ever said Dirk hasn't struggled in the playoffs. But struggling at times does not make you streaky. You can cherry pick Miami if you want, but the reality is that Dirk carried an inferior team past both the Spurs and the Suns that year. He's one of the best playoff performers of all time, and to say that he chokes under pressure shows a complete lack of comprehension for the game of basketball and a complete lack of knowledge of the historical context of the NBA.

But what else should anyone expect from you, really?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-18-2010 at 11:06 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #87
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't opened this thread in a long time. I wish I hadn't opened it today. Some people are just incapable of sports common sense. Some people are incapable of looking at the numbers or even watching a dang game and understanding anything that they have seen. Dirk is one of the all time great playoff performers. When his team is on the brink of elimination, his game goes from an All-NBA level to one of the top playoff performers in the history of the game. His playoff numbers are nothing short of astounding.

Usually, the game gets more difficult in the playoffs. But not for Dirk. He has stepped his game up in the playoffs like very few in the history of the NBA. It's astounding to see such absolute stupidity come from the mouths/hands of some of you.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #88
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. No one ever said Dirk hasn't struggled in the playoffs. But struggling at times does not make you streaky. You can cherry pick Miami if you want, but the reality is that Dirk carried an inferior team past both the Spurs and the Suns that year. He's one of the best playoff performers of all time, and to say that he chokes under pressure shows a complete lack of comprehension for the game of basketball and a complete lack of knowledge for the historical context of the NBA.

Flacolaco likes this
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #89
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Over 1,600 posts. Wow. How do you have a single green box right now? You seem to pick fights with every poster who disagrees with you and even ones who haven't, and your posts, although more elegant in prose than say, jamyoa, or basketballgirl, are packed with a heaping load of douchery. I've never seen a poster here who more aggressively defends completely inane points like his life depended on it. Go back to spurstalk. That's where you belong.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #90
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. No one ever said Dirk hasn't struggled in the playoffs. But struggling at times does not make you streaky. You can cherry pick Miami if you want, but the reality is that Dirk carried an inferior team past both the Spurs and the Suns that year. He's one of the best playoff performers of all time, and to say that he chokes under pressure shows a complete lack of comprehension for the game of basketball and a complete lack of knowledge of the historical context of the NBA.

Having a few bad playoff series does make you streaky. It's alright to have a bad game here and then but you usually bounce back the next game. That's what Jordan and Kobe did. I mentioned 3 playoff series where he shot poorly. Dirk's had times in the playoffs where he was remarkable. Expectations are high on him due to being our franchise players. This team sure won a lot in the regular season to be considered inferior. Suns were without Amare Stoudemire. Dirk's best ever playoff moments were against the Spurs for sure. We all got our tunnel vision on how the playoffs were really like. I don't think it is fair for you to criticize my knowledge for seeing it differently than you.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #91
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

wow keep arguing a point you already lost badly. You should listen when even mods have to take off their gloves.

Are you just going to use anecodal arguments and two series to argue against raw stats that say you are wrong and then attribute it to merely differing opinions? Its one thing to have a differing opinion. Its another to handpick a couple of outlying stats and pack them full of BS and then offer it as an alternative to the accepted, fact-based truth.

Its as if you wanted to argue that Beaubois was a terrible 3pt shooter and choose the couple of games where he went 0-4 or something while completely ignoring the season %. Its all pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #92
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
wow keep arguing a point you already lost badly. You should listen when even mods have to take off their gloves.

Are you just going to use anecodal arguments and two series to argue against raw stats that say you are wrong and then attribute it to merely differing opinions? Its one thing to have a differing opinion. Its another to handpick a couple of outlying stats and pack them full of BS and then offer it as an alternative to the accepted, fact-based truth.
Did you even read my post? It sounds like you were just mad by seeing my name in this thread and decided to respond. I said 3 playoff series that I could recall and there could be more. They were all considered Dirk's prime as well. The truth is we would probably have a championship if Dirk found his swagger at key parts of the playoffs. 2 crucial free throw misses against Miami. I didn't find my comments so bad but some tend to overreact and act like I said something horrible. I know they are bad memories and I hate talking about them now. I'm going to ignore this thread now no matter what the hate.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #93
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The truth is we would probably have a championship if Dirk found his swagger at key parts of the playoffs.
You'll never win a pissing contest with a penis that small...

Dirk dares you to come up with another explanation.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-18-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #94
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Having a few bad playoff series does make you streaky. It's alright to have a bad game here and then but you usually bounce back the next game. That's what Jordan and Kobe did.
Riiight. Kobe's never had a terrible series? Give me a break dude.

Go read about the 2008 NBA Finals. Educate yourself a little. You're embarrassing yourself.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #95
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Over 1,600 posts. Wow. How do you have a single green box right now?
Good question...

(oops, he has one less now!)

Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #96
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you even read my post? It sounds like you were just mad by seeing my name in this thread and decided to respond. I said 3 playoff series that I could recall and there could be more. They were all considered Dirk's prime as well. The truth is we would probably have a championship if Dirk found his swagger at key parts of the playoffs. 2 crucial free throw misses against Miami. I didn't find my comments so bad but some tend to overreact and act like I said something horrible. I know they are bad memories and I hate talking about them now. I'm going to ignore this thread now no matter what the hate.
Did you read mine? I think I described your argument these past couple of pages of this thread fairly well but maybe you fail to accept that. Even two missed FTs or a bad series does nothing to counteract a guy that has been one of the greatest playoff performers of all time.

Again if you want to cherrypick painful series, then go ahead but your whole argument is ridiculous against the fact that Dirk steps up in the playoffs like the elite hall-of-famer he is. You have yet to address the multiple posts that have shown that he raises his 3pt% +0.5, FT% +0.6, +2.8 ppg, +4.4rpg, +0.4apg, +0.1bpg and his FG% is within 1.6% of his regular season averages all from a guy who has rarely ever had a second star, and definitely no one like Shaq drawing doubles.

Kobe is lauded as the greatest playoff performer still playing the game and by comparison his FG% is -0.8%, 3pt% is -1.0%, FT% is -2.9%, -0.7rpg, -0.1spg, etc etc.

Dirk -1.6%, +0.5%, +0.6%, +2.8ppg, +4.4rpg, +0.4apg, +0.1bpg
Kobe -0.8%, -1.0%, -2.9%, -0.7ppg, -0.7rpg, -0.1apg, -0.1spg

If you want to have any credibility, use facts and not anecdotes and hand-picked data. You are really making a fool of yourself.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #97
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Did you read mine? I think I described your argument these past couple of pages of this thread fairly well but maybe you fail to accept that. Even two missed FTs or a bad series does nothing to counteract a guy that has been one of the greatest playoff performers of all time.

Again if you want to cherrypick painful series, then go ahead but your whole argument is ridiculous against the fact that Dirk steps up in the playoffs like the elite hall-of-famer he is. You have yet to address the multiple posts that have shown that he raises his 3pt%, FT% , ppg, rpg, spg, bpg and his FG% is within 1.6% of his regular season averages all from a guy who has rarely ever had a second star, and definitely no one like Shaq drawing doubles.

Kobe is lauded as the greatest playoff performer still playing the game and by comparison his FG% is -0.8%, 3pt% is -1%, FT% is -2.9%, -0.7rpg, -0.1spg, etc etc.

If you want to have any credibility, use facts and not anecdotes and hand-picked data. You are really making a fool of yourself.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #98
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Good question...

(oops, he has one less now!)
Tee-Hee.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #99
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You'll never win a pissing contest with a penis that small...

Dirk dares you to come up with another explanation.

Size of the penis isn't everything ya know.......

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #100
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk in elimination games..

Points per game: 30.25
Rebounds: 12.5
Assists: 2.4
Blocks: 1.3
Steals: 1.1
FGM: 9.9
FGA: 20.1
FG%: 49.4%
3ptM: 1.5
3ptA: 3.4
3pt%: 43.6%
FTM: 8.9
FTA: 9.9
FT%: 89.3

Twice he has gone for 42 or more.
Dirk has gone for 30 or more in 11 of the 16 games.
He has gone for 28 or more in 13 of the 16 games.
He has gone for 20 or more in 14 of the 16 games.

He has had 10 or more rebounds in 13 of the 16 games.
He has had 8 or more boards in 15 of the 16 games.
Nine out of the 16 games, he's gone for 13 or more boards.

Yes, I do need to add the final game of the Denver series to his totals..but that will only make his numbers even more impressive.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #101
Murphy3
Guru

Go ahead and add a 32-10-7 game to those totals..along with a 9-17 from the floor, 2-5 from 3pt, and 12-12 from the line.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #102
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Alright I overreacted. I shouldn't have said the things I said. Everyone has had a bad series. Lets move on.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

No, let's not move on. Let's enjoy some more of you getting beaten to a pulp.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #104
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
No, let's not move on. Let's enjoy some more of you getting beaten to a pulp.
lol You are the one hating on Howard all the time when he used to help us. I remember the petition to ban Murphy3. You are not exactly so innocent yourself.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

Yes, I bagged on Howard.. Why not? He was prone to disappearing late in games and for making mental mistakes. I always referred to the guy as a "mental midget". I make absolutely no apologies for that. Perhaps I was just a bit more in tune with what type of guy he actually was than some others on this site. But there are many, many that have always believed the guy was more than just a little lacking between the ears. Yes, I appreciated much of what he did, but that does not mean that I should excuse mistakes that were made because of simply not thinking or because of lack of effort.

As for the petition to ban Murph.. I started the petition as an obvious joke.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #106
Murphy3
Guru

It's really annoying when someone posts something about a player without any regards to the historical facts. There are few in the past 20 years that can match the numbers that he has put up in the playoffs. Yet, there are people such as yourself that post garbage for the sake of posting garbage. I suppose I can't completely place the blame on you when the networks that cover the NBA put absolute idiots on the air just because they were former players..regardless of whether or not they do any research for their position.. It's just annoying.

Unfortunately, idiots will have a major impact on how Dirk is remembered if he doesn't eventually win a title. Yes, he's a sure thing Hall of Famer. Yes, he's definitely one of the 50 greatest to ever play the game. But, he'll be remembered as being a guy that didn't perform all that well in the playoffs regardless of what the truth is.. I suppose it's what you should expect. Hell, when guys such as Magic Johnson and Chris Webber are paid to give their opinions about the game of basketball, then something is obviously wrong. But, that's what the NBA is today.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #107
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mavsfan1000, but you do kinda look like a Benedict Arnold calling Dirk a choker over in Spurs land. I can see why that would bother some more than just a bad post.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #108
Murphy3
Guru

If I were to post something that idiotic with regards to the Mavs and have my butt handed to me in such a manner as we have seen in this thread, I'd probably think twice about posting again. But no, I'm sure we'll be blessed with more from this guy.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #109
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Sorry mavsfan1000, but you do kinda look like a Benedict Arnold calling Dirk a choker over in Spurs land. I can see why that would bother some more than just a bad post.
Absolutely.

Listen, Dirk Nowitzki is a beloved figure to Mavs fans. And honestly, outside of Mavs enthusiasts and the rare network sports journalist, Dirk is known as a perennial playoff choker. I can't even tell you how many times I've been in heated arguments defending Dirk with buddies, co-workers, or just random ignorant jokers about this. Whenever Dirk is brought up, all I hear about is Golden State, and Miami. Like those two scenarios completely erase what he's done. Then when you dig up the information and show proof that he's not only good in the playoffs, but he's had major success and is a downright special player in big games, they won't listen to it. It's honestly gotten to the point that if he doesn't win a championship, in the majority of fans eyes outside of Dallas, his career was tainted with disappointment, and he's labeled a perennial choker. It's ridiculous, but it's a fact.

So when we see a Mavs fan completely trashing Dirk on a Spurs board of all places we do take offense. Siding with the enemy and throwing our king under the bus is a major offense. It won't be until Dirk retires that ALL of us will truly know how good he was/is. We'll never see another player like him. It will be a long time until we see another Dirk Nowitzki.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 03-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #110
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Absolutely.

Listen, Dirk Nowitzki is a beloved figure to Mavs fans. And honestly, outside of Mavs enthusiasts and the rare network sports journalist, Dirk is known as a perennial playoff choker. I can't even tell you how many times I've been in heated arguments defending Dirk with buddies, co-workers, or just random ignorant jokers about this. Whenever Dirk is brought up, all I hear about is Golden State, and Miami. Like those two scenarios completely erase what he's done. Then when you dig up the information and show proof that he's not only good in the playoffs, but he's had major success and is a downright special player in big games, they won't listen to it. It's honestly gotten to the point that if he doesn't win a championship, in the majority of fans eyes outside of Dallas, his career was tainted with disappointment, and he's labeled a perennial choker. It's ridiculous, but it's a fact.

So when we see a Mavs fan completely trashing Dirk on a Spurs board of all places we do take offense. Siding with the enemy and throwing our king under the bus is a major offense. It won't be until Dirk retires that ALL of us will truly know how good he was/is. We'll never see another player like him. It will be a long time until we see another Dirk Nowitzki.
Yes he is probably up there with Karl Malone except with a more likable personality. No problems with that. He just isn't a Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan. And Mavs fans on that topic over there were the first to state it. I just agreed to it and I'm the scapegoat.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #111
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Btw the mods should've deleted all these posts that are off topic. Also the tage are uncalled for. I'm leaving this board. Make one mistake and you are forever hated here. Thanks for the experience.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #112
Underdog

Quote:
Btw the mods should've deleted all these posts that are off topic. Also the tage are uncalled for. I'm leaving this board. Make one mistake and you are forever hated here. Thanks for the experience.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #113
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes he is probably up there with Karl Malone except with a more likable personality. No problems with that. He just isn't a Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan. And Mavs fans on that topic over there were the first to state it. I just agreed to it and I'm the scapegoat.
No, you called him a choker.

"Yep no doubt Dirk chokes under pressure. Hopefully other players will put up big numbers in case of this and pick up the slack."

Like I said dude, if you trash Dirk, especially around these parts you're gonna hear about it. Just how it goes.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #114
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

LOL, turns out Mavs1000 is a bit of a potty mouth, and cry baby as well. What a shame.

This has some cussing so, I hope this doesn't offend anybody.

On Spurstalk.com he actually started a thread titled "Dallas-Mavs.com".

And this is what the poor lad had to say:

"Bunch of fucking homers that all got butt hurt that I mentioned that Dirk isn't exactly clutch for us when in crucial situations for us in past playoff experiences. I'm glad to be here where people aren't afraid to criticize the mavs and certain players when they don't perform."

Aw... boo hoo

Last edited by mary; 03-18-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #115
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk sucks, broskis. Some guy told me so.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #116
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Dang it, you beat me to it - just wanted to post the link to his worthless thread.
What a desperate try to get the attention of the most worthless kind of the human species:

Spurs fans (he´ll probably become one of them pretty soon)

Last edited by LetsGoMavs; 03-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.
LetsGoMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #117
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoMavs View Post
Spurs fans (he´ll probably become one of them pretty soon)
That'll be rich after we hand them a first round exit...

Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #118
Murphy3
Guru

What I hate is when a guy throws out some crap and then can't take what's coming his way.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #119
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Good riddance. I hope it was my calling him a Benedict Arnold that did it. Was I not justified in such a sentiment? Looks pretty plain to me.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #120
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000
Stay classy
Ah, the rare red box...

Tags
1000thingsihateaboutyou, awww now he´s gone :d, epic thread, hedoesn'tlikeithere:-(, mavsban1000, mavsfan1000 should die., mavsxpert1000, thread police