Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #81
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Because Hollinger is a little bitch.

(according to my numbers...)

Pin point accuracy.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #82
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Trollinger picked Spurs in 6

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010...purs-mavericks

So what he gonna say when we beat them?`That he didnt see that Parker/Hill/blabla arent on full strength?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #83
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Hollinger, on the other hand, beat out Kevin Pelton and Henry's mom.
He also really tore it up with his 2008 prediction of the Jazz making the finals, after beating the Hornets in the WCF, and succumbing to the Celtics in 6. Almost had it, John. A choice piece:

Quote:
There's a tendency to overreact to What Just Happened, so Utah's stinker against San Antonio on Wednesday night probably increased everyone's doubts about this team.

Nonetheless, the Power Rankings have Utah as the league's second-best team, and the Playoff Odds give them the best chance of winning the West at 31.0 perecnt.

Overall, Utah won an astounding 18 games by more than 20 points. In contrast, the Jazz didn't lose a single game by more than 20 points all season ...
Simply astounding! Maybe Utah could have used some of those leftover points in the second round against the Lakers that year.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-15-2010 at 02:00 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #84
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Trollinger picked Spurs in 6

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010...purs-mavericks

So what he gonna say when we beat them?`That he didnt see that Parker/Hill/blabla arent on full strength?
He'd probably say Suns in 6.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #85
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

holy bejeebus the amount of bet-wetting that you people get into over Hollinger is amazing!

Taken as a general rule, "power rankings" are a steaming mound of twice used toilet paper. They stink. They are ALSO usually totally boring, as most of them just take the current standings and tweak a team here and there 2-3 spots because of a recent injury or bad loss.

gggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz <snore>

Hollinger AT LEAST does something different. he sets a formula that uses some other (but related) factors to come up with a mathematical ranking. Nobody would expect this to be fully accurate, because it doen't have that many variables and it explicitly avoids the overt tweaking.

it is what it is. love it or hate it, it isn't subjective. THEN he tries to defend his rankings ---- and this is where he gets into a little trouble. But still.... the level of panty bunching that takes place here over it is phenomenal! .... but it does seem to fit well into the generalized persecution complex that members on this board seem to exhibit.

The league and Stern and Hollinger are not out to get the mavs... really.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #86
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
it is what it is. love it or hate it, it isn't entirely subjective. THEN he tries to defend his rankings ---- and this is where he refuses to budge when his rankings occasionally produce nonsensical outputs, instead opting to cherry pick favorable data points to support his argument while ignoring all others. But still.... the level of panty bunching that takes place here over it is phenomenal! .... but it does seem to fit well into the generalized persecution complex that fans of every sports team in the world seem to exhibit.
Fixed.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #87
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

i am willing to accept most of you fixes... but i will stand firm onthe fact that right now the persecution complex here is several standard deviations above normal.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #88
LonghornDub

Quote:
i am willing to accept most of you fixes... but i will stand firm onthe fact that right now the persecution complex here is several standard deviations above normal.
Fair enough, but that seems to be circumstance more than anything.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #89
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
I think all the people here are making fun of him more than anything else. I find his attempts to defend his rankings to be funny...e.g. Neutral Court Advantage, Close wins are not worth anything (b/c close games are a coin flip), Bucks > Mavs, Trade had no effect on Dallas, etc...
Old 04-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #90
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm gonna nail you to a couple pieces of wood if you keep talking like that.

<---this is my serious face (like, seriously serious......... wood... nail... you...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-15-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: "wood" not "would"
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #91
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Trollinger reached the point where i just love to make fun about the crap he writes
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #92
Dnowit41

Dnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to all

Heres the crap coming out of Hollinger's garbage mouth

(2) Dallas vs. (7) San Antonio
Season series: 3-1 Mavs.
Odds say: Spurs 74.5%; Mavs 24.5%

This is one of two matchups that really vexed me, because the statistical indicators basically collide with themselves.

Let's start at the top. In a previous piece on the Mavs that got Dallas fans stirred up, I mentioned I thought my Power Rankings had overrated San Antonio. Oops. As it turns out, they were remarkably prescient: San Antonio went on to crush one contender after another the rest of the way. (Lesson: Never try to make playoff predictions in early March. Not that making them in mid-April will turn out much better.)

Second, there's that whole 41-0 thing. Dallas won the season series with San Antonio 3-1, so the Spurs would be a glaring exception to the rule if I were to pick them.

I've been cynical about Dallas' contender status ("Really?" Mavs nation says, "You don't say?"), but the Mavs played much better over the final 10 days of the season and ended up with a respectable point differential over the final quarter of the season. The Mavs also are 23-7 since trading for Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood, which is superior to San Antonio's 20-11 mark in that time.

The difference is that San Antonio played one of the league's most difficult schedules over the final quarter of the season, while Dallas' schedule looked like it was drawn up by TCU's football program. (You like that? Two Dallas sports insults in one sentence! P.S.: Roger Staubach was a ninny.)

In all seriousness, Dallas played the league's second-easiest schedule over the final quarter. Of the Mavs' final 21 games, 12 were against lottery teams, two others were against the lottery-esque Bulls and one was against San Antonio's scrubs -- plus, 12 of the 21 games were at home. So only six of 21 were against playoff-caliber competition, and they lost four of those games (and two others).

Meanwhile, San Antonio faced a murderer's row over the final month. Eleven of the Spurs' final 17 opponents won 50 games, and two others (Memphis and Houston) were respectable, plus 10 of the 17 were on the road. In that time, the Spurs beat Cleveland, L.A., Orlando, Denver, Boston and Oklahoma City, and posted a better scoring margin against the brutal schedule than Dallas did against its parade of softies.

What I'm saying is that the records deceive -- by most advanced measures, San Antonio appears to be the better team. As for that little 41-0 thing? It comes into play only because the Spurs tanked the season finale in Dallas. Had they won, the season series would be 2-2 and I'd have no reason whatsoever to pick Dallas.

As noted, the last team to defy the 41-0 rule was the Spurs, who did it the last time they went into a series without home-court advantage in the first round. It looks like they'll do it again.

Pick: Spurs in six

A clear night in big D. Thousands of fans ready...anxiously awaiting his arrival.
The signal high in the Dallas sky calls for one person, and one person alone.........#41
Dnowit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #93
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnowit41 View Post

This is one of two matchups that really vexed me, because the statistical indicators basically collide with themselves.

Let's start at the top. In a previous piece on the Mavs that got Dallas fans stirred up, I mentioned I thought my Power Rankings had overrated San Antonio. Oops. As it turns out, they were remarkably prescient: San Antonio went on to crush one contender after another the rest of the way. (Lesson: Never try to make playoff predictions in early March. Not that making them in mid-April will turn out much better.)

Second, there's that whole 41-0 thing. Dallas won the season series with San Antonio 3-1, so the Spurs would be a glaring exception to the rule if I were to pick them.

I've been cynical about Dallas' contender status ("Really?" Mavs nation says, "You don't say?"), but the Mavs played much better over the final 10 days of the season and ended up with a respectable point differential over the final quarter of the season. The Mavs also are 23-7 since trading for Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood, which is superior to San Antonio's 20-11 mark in that time.

The difference is that San Antonio played one of the league's most difficult schedules over the final quarter of the season, while Dallas' schedule looked like it was drawn up by TCU's football program. (You like that? Two Dallas sports insults in one sentence! P.S.: Roger Staubach was a ninny.)

In all seriousness, Dallas played the league's second-easiest schedule over the final quarter. Of the Mavs' final 21 games, 12 were against lottery teams, two others were against the lottery-esque Bulls and one was against San Antonio's scrubs -- plus, 12 of the 21 games were at home. So only six of 21 were against playoff-caliber competition, and they lost four of those games (and two others).

Meanwhile, San Antonio faced a murderer's row over the final month. Eleven of the Spurs' final 17 opponents won 50 games, and two others (Memphis and Houston) were respectable, plus 10 of the 17 were on the road. In that time, the Spurs beat Cleveland, L.A., Orlando, Denver, Boston and Oklahoma City, and posted a better scoring margin against the brutal schedule than Dallas did against its parade of softies.

What I'm saying is that the records deceive -- by most advanced measures, San Antonio appears to be the better team. As for that little 41-0 thing? It comes into play only because the Spurs tanked the season finale in Dallas. Had they won, the season series would be 2-2 and I'd have no reason whatsoever to pick Dallas.

As noted, the last team to defy the 41-0 rule was the Spurs, who did it the last time they went into a series without home-court advantage in the first round. It looks like they'll do it again.

Someone get me this son of a bitch's email. I have a message for him.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #94
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing... Power Rankings are just rankings.. They are not magical. They have flaws even if based upon statistics. Hollinger's rankings have obvious flaws. So, who really cares? Hollinger is also flawed because he doesn't like to admit that his rankings can be flawed... He backs up his rankings to a fault. I know that.. You guys know that. Hell, I'm sure he even knows that deep down inside. So, screw it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #95
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

At this point, you can obviously see that it is personal with the guy. It is no longer just about his stats.. He has been questioned and is openly rooting against the Mavs. In my opinion, it goes back to what I said a couple of weeks ago.. His judgment should be looked at with a huge grain of salt because he is losing his objectivity.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #96
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

So the Bulls are lottery-esque even though they are in the playoffs? And woah woah woah John, did you just say we only played 6 playoff teams and lost 4 of them post ASG?Now I know for a fact that can't be correct, because post-asg we beat Phoenix, Denver, and Portland. That's three wins against playoff teams. The guy is just straight lying these days.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #97
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

We beat LA post ASG too, that's four! So how exactly did we play 6 playoff teams and lose 4 games John? I'm no mathematician, but...
Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #98
CadBane
Banned

Oh wait, I see he decided to cherry pick his stats (shocker) and say "last 21 games" which I guess just misses 2 of those big wins. Funny how that works.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #99
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Oh wait, I see he decided to cherry pick his stats (shocker) and say "last 21 games" which I guess just misses 2 of those big wins. Funny how that works.
I assume he did that because 21 games is 1/4 of the season (rounded up), but cherry picking is still absolutely the right word. That's all this guy does when his rankings spit out something suspect.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-15-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #100
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

If San Antonio gave us the 4th game, then I guess we won the series 2 to 1.

How does Trollinger assume we would have lost to SA if Duncan Ginobli had been in? Doesn't he think our effort would have been higher with them in? He can't count game 4 as a win for the Spurs just because they didn't try. We still won the season series 2 to 1
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #101
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
At this point, you can obviously see that it is personal with the guy. It is no longer just about his stats.. He has been questioned and is openly rooting against the Mavs. In my opinion, it goes back to what I said a couple of weeks ago.. His judgment should be looked at with a huge grain of salt because he is losing his objectivity.
He's obviously motivated largely by his growing reputation as a heel for Mavs fans.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #102
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The more that people pay attention to Hollinger the more he wins. He's getting exactly what he wants.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #103
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
The more that people pay attention to Hollinger the more he wins. He's getting exactly what he wants.
unless, of course, the Mavs mop up the Spurs and then go on to win the championship. If we believe in the Mavs, then we need to shine a bright light on his idiocy.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #104
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
unless, of course, the Mavs mop up the Spurs and then go on to win the championship. If we believe in the Mavs, then we need to shine a bright light on his idiocy.
Oh I hear you.... but either way the more people read his garbage the more he's legitimized in the eyes of his employer. And when he's talked about ad nauseum it will only help him.

But I do understand the temptation to do so. We know he's nothing more than a homer for two teams as Fish pointed out a month or 2 ago. I just wish he'd go away. Or am I overthinking this... should I rejoice in his idiocy because of the high potential for embarrassment waiting for him in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

See? Now I'm getting drawn in. I think my blood is starting to boil thinking about him for the first time..... DANG IT.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #105
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
... should I rejoice in his idiocy because of the high potential for embarrassment waiting for him in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks..
yes! and push him as far out on that limb as he's willing to go.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #106
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i love how he doesn't mention that the spurs failed to make a push to win the division because they lost to the nets and at home to the grizzlies in the last couple weeks of the season
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #107
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's because the idiocy that Hollinger displayed in that article he wrote in Mid-March is several deviations above normal.

I honestly don't have a problem with his power rankings. He created a neat little formula that attempts to rank the teams, and I am sure they are about as accurate as any other power rankings out there. What I do have a problem with is some of the moronic reasoning he used throughout that particular article to justify why so many teams were ranked higher than the Mavs. If he had just said something to the effect of, "this is just a model, there are always outliers and the Mavs just might be one", I would have been fine. I would have even been fine with him taking teams like the Nuggets, Jazz, and maybe a couple others that he had ranked ahead of us despite a record that said otherwise.

The problem comes when he starts cherry-picking head-to-head records in cases that support his point while ignoring those that don't, and then starts writing nonsense about how guys like Nicholas Batum are more impactful midseason acquisitions than the Mavs' midseason trade. Stuff like this is worthy of some major hate coming in Lollinger's direction, no matter whether my panties are in a bunch or very neatly ironed.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #108
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
I can agree with this for the most part. Hollinger obviously has a bit going on with regards to what he's saying about the Mavs... but who cares? Yes, I started the thread so I obviously cared at that time. But in the end, he's just a guy that happens to get paid for a flawed ranking system. It really doesn't matter what the guy thinks in the end.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #109
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hollinger isn't the only guy who thinks the Mavs are overrated. Basketball-reference.com has us ranked 7th in the conference, in terms of win probabilities:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ayoff_prob.cgi

They like the Thunder better than us.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #110
Murphy3
Guru

Again, putting any stock into statistical analysis based upon a full season when the current team is drastically different from that at the All-Star Break is just goofy.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #111
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Applying Hollinger's rating to just the 30 games after the all star break, I got about 105, which would be 6th in the league. However, I don't know the strength of schedules, so I used a modest 0.460 for both overall and last 10.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #112
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we'll find out soon wont we.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #113
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

lolz

Yes, that's all I have to say.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #114
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hey, he insulted TCU football. Now he's gone too far! Get the torches and pitchforks.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #115
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Here is Hollinger's player rankings in the postseason so far. Dirk is number 1 with a PER of 42.4!!!!! Hollinger's head must be about to explode.

Hollinger Playoff Stats - Player Efficiency Rating - Qualified Players
RK PLAYER GP MPG TS% AST TO USG ORR DRR REBR PER VA EWA
1 Dirk Nowitzki, DAL 1 40.0 .934 4.7 4.7 20.9 5.7 15.0 10.2 42.40 18.4 0.6
2 Jameer Nelson, ORL 1 37.0 .743 20.3 6.8 29.2 0.0 14.4 6.9 38.86 15.4 0.5
3 Andre Miller, POR 1 39.0 .724 24.7 9.3 27.4 3.1 9.7 6.8 37.95 15.7 0.5
4 DeJuan Blair, SAS 1 8.0 1.000 33.3 0.0 11.8 15.0 14.3 14.6 37.40 3.2 0.1
5 LeBron James, CLE 2 40.5 .671 19.8 7.6 28.0 1.6 17.5 10.3 33.89 28.3 0.9
6 Russell Westbrook, OKC 1 38.0 .648 29.9 3.7 23.6 6.6 6.5 6.6 32.27 12.1 0.4
7 Brendan Haywood, DAL 1 18.0 .850 12.7 12.7 16.2 19.0 20.0 19.5 31.42 5.6 0.2
8 Steve Nash, PHO 1 34.0 .662 30.1 6.7 27.8 2.8 0.0 1.6 31.33 10.3 0.3
9 Jerryd Bayless, POR 1 23.0 .645 6.7 0.0 24.6 5.2 12.3 9.2 30.84 6.8 0.2
10 Brandon Jennings, MIL 1 40.0 .635 9.2 9.2 32.1 3.0 6.9 4.8 30.38 11.6 0.4

Last edited by Eman; 04-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #116
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Andre Miler.

lol
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #117
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Andre Miler.

lol
You still rooting against Portland? Or are you hoping for a showdown in Round 2?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #118
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Just for fun, anyone know what Hollinger has to say about game 2 on the insider?

Last edited by aurelino9; 04-20-2010 at 07:22 PM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #119
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
Just for fun, anyone know what Hollinger has to say about game 2 on the insider?
Mavs lose.

(and even if they don't, they suck...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-20-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #120
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
Hasn't mentioned it yet. Today's per diem was about adjustments the losing teams need to make for tonight's game.

Tags
john faillinger, john hollinger is gay, neutral court advantage