Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #81
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Grizz could get knocked down a peg or two. 10 back to back games!?!
People laughed and spat in my face when i posted this. They've gone 7-7 since.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #82
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Last edited by tap2390; 03-17-2015 at 09:53 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #83
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Spurs lose to the Knicks. I'm afraid that's only gonna wake them up.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #84
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Looks like Durant may be shut down for the rest of the season. If so, Thunder probably shut down Ibaka too (if he's out 4-6 weeks). That should pretty much put a nail in their coffin.

Wonder if they look into trading KD this offseason, if they can't re-sign him? Wouldn't shock me to see Presti try and get something for him, rather than let him leave for nothing.
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #85
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the Thunder get the 1st pick in the draft...
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #86
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartywithDirk View Post
Wonder if they look into trading KD this offseason, if they can't re-sign him? Wouldn't shock me to see Presti try and get something for him, rather than let him leave for nothing.
I really think it would be better for Both Durant and WB to be on different teams. Much like Nash would not have been a MVP if he stayed with mavs and Dirk(even though it's highly disputed as is with Shaq), I think WB and Durant can't fully realize their potential on the same team. OKC IMO is going to have to commit to one of them in the future and the other will have to be dealt for pieces to build around the one who remains.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #87
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

OKC would be pretty dumb to trade KD unless he either (A) absolutely will never be fully healthy again, or (B) tells them before the deadline that he's sure he isn't re-signing.

Outside of those two possibilities, you keep a guy that talented and do whatever you can to convince him to stay.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #88
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
Spurs lose to the Knicks. I'm afraid that's only gonna wake them up.
Shhhhh. They are old. They need a late-afternoon (season) nap. Don't wake them up.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #89
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

0-3 against the warriors
1-3 against the Grizzlies
1-2 against the Rockets
1-2 against the Blazers
1-2 against the Clippers
1-1 against the Spurs
2-1 against OKC
Old 04-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #90
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs clinched a playoff spot with the OKC loss tonight.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #91
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Motiejunas out for the season.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #92
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
Motiejunas out for the season.
If God really is a Mavs fan, he'd let us face Houston.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #93
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
If God really is a Mavs fan, he'd let us face Houston.
And yet the Mavs always seem to play poorly when their opponent has been hit by the injury bug. I still don't know about facing floppy and his ref pals. It will make me hate this game if that guy gets 15+ ft attempts each outing.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #94
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And yet the Mavs always seem to play poorly when their opponent has been hit by the injury bug. I still don't know about facing floppy and his ref pals. It will make me hate this game if that guy gets 15+ ft attempts each outing.
It's still our best opportunity. Rick is the master at defensive schemes to disrupt specific offenses. With Houston, you really only have to worry about Harden flopping. It's tough to play 5-on-8, but Rick stopped Wade/LeBron/Bosh. Slowing/limiting Harden and letting the rest of the guys try to shoot will be much easier.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #95
Thukydides

Thukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to all

geez, I don´t wanna see the Spurs in the first round.. but it sure looks likely right now
Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #96
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thukydides View Post
geez, I don´t wanna see the Spurs in the first round.. but it sure looks likely right now
Are you a Houston fan or a Memphis fan?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #97
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Do we rest players the last 4 games or try to continue building confidence and chemistry?
I think Dirk and Tyson need rest.
This is a great opportunity for the Mavs imo....maybe the stars are beginning to line up for us again.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-09-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #98
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

RC alreassy said that Rondo is gonna be rested in one game and other aswell.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #99
Thukydides

Thukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Are you a Houston fan or a Memphis fan?
Spurs have another game against HOU left, which I expect them to win - that would take them past the Rockets; Grizzlies have games against both GSW and the Clippers.. it´s quite possible for the Spurs to end up 2nd.

Or did I missunderstand you?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #100
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

I think we should be hoping for Memphis at this point. They haven't been playing great lately and Conley is banged up. Houston would be best case scenario but no way they finish 2nd. Just please no San Antonio.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #101
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I think we should be hoping for Memphis at this point. They haven't been playing great lately and Conley is banged up. Houston would be best case scenario but no way they finish 2nd. Just please no San Antonio.
I'm in shock right now. Memphis is losing the 2 seed to the spurs. They almost have to win out now after loss to clips. Spurs have an easy last 3 games. This is unbelievable what they've been able to accomplish since march
Old 04-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #102
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Clippers will win their last two games and have the strongest chance to get the #2 seed that I can see
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #103
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Grizzlies or Clippers better win out, i don't want to see the Spurs (like every year).
Old 04-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #104
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Clippers will win their last two games and have the strongest chance to get the #2 seed that I can see
Yep, I think the Mavs get the Clippers... for better or worse. It looks to me like they have the tie breakers over the Spurs if they both win out. Gasol was injured last night for the Grizzlies and Conley and Allen are also banged up. Injuries are likely to play a big role in the playoffs with the Warriors and Spurs looking healthy, the Clippers starting to get everyone back (I see Crawford played 20 mins last night), and everyone else trying to get their injured players back in time for the games that matter.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #105
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Clippers and Spurs win out, we play the Spurs. A division winner always wins the tiebreaker against a non-division winner.

We're better than 50% to play the Spurs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #106
Kante
Diamond Member

So, go Suns? Or Memphis has to win out.

Last edited by Kante; 04-12-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #107
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If the Clippers and Spurs win out, we play the Spurs. A division winner always wins the tiebreaker against a non-division winner.

We're better than 50% to play the Spurs.
Ok. I interpreted the tie breaking rules to mean division winners get the tiebreaker only if both teams are from the same division....If they are from different divisions then it is head-to-head, and then conference record. But your interpretation makes more sense.

Last edited by purplefrog; 04-12-2015 at 11:29 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #108
Oberon

Oberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, the situation in the West is just crazy.

I still don't really get what happens if SAS, LAC, MEM and HOU all win their remaining games (I think there is no direct match between two of these teams). I mean they would have the same overall record in the end (56-26), so who would be first out of them?

If I got it right, a division winner would always have the advantage over a non-division winner so that basically takes LAC out of the discussion, but who would be the SW-Division-Winner when SAS, HOU and MEM share the same record? Is it the game record of only the games played within the same division? In that case it's MEM right? Oh dear that's confusing...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #109
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Wow, the situation in the West is just crazy.

I still don't really get what happens if SAS, LAC, MEM and HOU all win their remaining games (I think there is no direct match between two of these teams). I mean they would have the same overall record in the end (56-26), so who would be first out of them?

If I got it right, a division winner would always have the advantage over a non-division winner so that basically takes LAC out of the discussion, but who would be the SW-Division-Winner when SAS, HOU and MEM share the same record? Is it the game record of only the games played within the same division? In that case it's MEM right? Oh dear that's confusing...
SAS 2:2 MEM
SAS 2:2 LAC
SAS 3:1 HOU
MEM 2:2 LAC
MEM 2:2 HOU
LAC 2:2 HOU

SAS W7L5
MEM W6L6
LAC W6L6
HOU W5L7

I would assume GSW go all out tomorrow to beat the Grizzlies, to send SAS to 2 spot.

POR is out of the 5-way tie scenario.

Up to this point:
GSW vs NOP
SAS vs DAL
LAC vs HOU
POR vs MEM (MEM with HCA)

If Grizzlies, Rockets, Spurs, Clippers win out:

2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Grizzlies (home court)
6. Rockets
7. Mavs

If Grizzlies, Rockets, Spurs win out, Clippers lose one

2. Spurs
3. Grizzlies
4. Blazers
5. Rockets (home court)
6. Clippers

If Grizzlies, Clippers, Rockets win out, Spurs lose one

2. Grizzlies
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Rockets (home court)
6. Spurs

If Clippers, Spurs, Rockets win out, Grizzlies lose one

2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Rockets (home court)
6. Grizzlies

If Clippers, Spurs, win out, Rockets, Grizzlies lose one

2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
6. Rockets

If Clippers win out, Spurs, Grizzlies, Rockets drop one

2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Blazers
6. Rockets

If Rockets win out, Grizzlies, Clippers, Spurs drop one

2. Rockets
3. Grizzlies
4. Blazers
5. Clippers (home court)
6. Spurs

Basically the Southwest owns the second seed unless both the Spurs and Grizzlies lose.

In the event that Houston/San Antonio and Memphis are tied, then the overall head to head record between these three determines who wins the division. San Antonio has the best combined head to head record against Memphis/Houston, so they win the 2nd seed if everyone wins out.

If the Rockets drop a game, but the other 3 teams (SA, HOU, LAC) win out, Memphis gets the 2nd seed. That's because if it's not a three way tie, Memphis head to head record against San Antonio gives them the division (tied 2-2, but better division/conference record). In case of a three way tie, as explained above, the overall head to head record between the three decides it. The Spurs have the best overall head to head record against Houston and Memphis, so if everyone wins out, they get the number 2 seed.

The team in each series with the better record has home court advantage, including the First Round. This means that, for example, if the team who receives the 5 seed has a better record than the team with the 4 seed (by virtue of a divisional championship), the 5 seed would have home court advantage, even though the other team has a higher seed. Therefore, the team with the best regular season record in the league is guaranteed home court advantage in every series it plays.

For instance it happened in 2006. The Denver Nuggets won 44 games and captured the Northwest Division and the #3 seed. Their opponent was the #6 seed Los Angeles Clippers, who won 47 games and finished second in the Pacific Division. Although Denver won its much weaker division, the Clippers had home-court advantage and won the series in 5.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #110
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thukydides View Post
Spurs have another game against HOU left, which I expect them to win - that would take them past the Rockets; Grizzlies have games against both GSW and the Clippers.. it´s quite possible for the Spurs to end up 2nd.

Or did I missunderstand you?
No you understood me correctly but I didn't realize Spurs were that damn hot and in that position.

My bad!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #111
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Spurs have only lost 3 games since Feb 23

Only the Pelicans can save us and hope the others win out. I really dont want to see Spurs in the first round

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #112
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Spurs have only lost 3 games since Feb 23

Only the Pelicans can save us and hope the others win out. I really dont want to see Spurs in the first round
I'm actually wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs - I feel like we match up well with them. I don't really want to play the Clips or Memphis; in my opinion those two teams would be the unlucky draw.

I know this team hasn't shown much for us to have hope going into the playoffs, but I have a feeling in my gut that this group might surprise a lot of people.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #113
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
I'm actually wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs - I feel like we match up well with them. I don't really want to play the Clips or Memphis; in my opinion those two teams would be the unlucky draw.

I know this team hasn't shown much for us to have hope going into the playoffs, but I have a feeling in my gut that this group might surprise a lot of people.
With the injury bug hitting Memphis I don't think they would be as bad of a matchup. Plus they play at a slower pace which I think helps our team out. We just don't match up well with the Clippers.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #114
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Weren't the Spurs rolling along pretty good last season going into the POs?
Spurs are one of those teams I think we can beat but I always hate meeting hot teams...especially since we aren't clicking yet.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #115
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Weren't the Spurs rolling along pretty good last season going into the POs?
Spurs are one of those teams I think we can beat but I always hate meeting hot teams...especially since we aren't clicking yet.
Spurs run into the playoffs hot every single year.

It's their thing-- they start out around .500 and everyone questions whether or not they are playoff contenders then they go on a crazy run at the Allstar break.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-13-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 AM   #116
Oberon

Oberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of light

@ Sportstudi

Thanks for the explanation!

The Memphis loss means we can't get them any more right?
They'd been my favorite team to play as of now but it seems we just can never avoid the Spurs...

I do have some hope, however, that the Pelicans beat the Spurs tomorrow. I mean they have to if they wanna advance to the playoffs. In that case, if both the Clippers and Houston win their last game (which they should), we would get Houston actually! I'd fancy that a lot more than a matchup against the Spurs.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #117
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
@ Sportstudi

Thanks for the explanation!

The Memphis loss means we can't get them any more right?
They'd been my favorite team to play as of now but it seems we just can never avoid the Spurs...

I do have some hope, however, that the Pelicans beat the Spurs tomorrow. I mean they have to if they wanna advance to the playoffs. In that case, if both the Clippers and Houston win their last game (which they should), we would get Houston actually! I'd fancy that a lot more than a matchup against the Spurs.

Updated situation:

Tue matchup:

Clippers - Phoenix (Clips need to win this to preserve their tiny chance to get #2 spot, Suns have nothing to play for)

Wed matchups
SAS - NOP (both going all out)
MEM - IND (IND going all out)
HOU - UTA (UTA has nothing to play for)

If all games go like expected the playoffs will probably look like this:
#1 GSW #8 OKC
#2 SAS #7 DAL
#3 LAC #6 MEM
#4 POR #5 HOU

Sure, the deciding factor here , and also NO's only chance, is Anthony Davis.
Leonard is by now the Spurs best defender and he's playing at the 3. Duncan is more of a 5 than a 4 nowadays. Still no Splitter and the Pelicans will play at home. In case NOP manages to pull off the miracle, the standings would look like this:

#1 GSW #8 NOP
#2 HOU #7 DAL
#3 LAC #6 SAS
#4 POR #5 MEM

- The only chance for LAC to get #2 is if all SAS, HOU and MEM will lose while the Clippers beat the Suns one day earlier.

- Houston will finish either #2 or #5 (they need to win vs. Utah and a SA loss against NOP). They will home court in the first row though as Portland as a division winner only has the seeding advantage, not the home court advantage. As a side note, Houston either get #2 seed, or NOP's 14th pick.
- For the Spurs it's pretty easy: Win, play DAL and have HCA for first two rounds. Lose, likely no HCA until conf final.

If Spurs lose Rockets win:
2 HOU 7 DAL (HOU tied with LAC but owns tie breaker as division winner)
3 LAC 6 SAS (SAS tied with MEM but inferior conference record)
4 POR 5 MEM

If LAC beats PHO, there's a tricky situation for Memphis. They still have big reasons to play for, but they also need to think about resting players (they're banged up right now badly).

1. The Division winner is out of question for MEM now. Should LAC wins tomorrow, MEM can only get as high as 5, because 2 will be SW division winner, 3 will be LAC, 4 will be POR. Only 5 and 6 up for grab between MEM and HOU/SAS (whoever loses on Wednesday).

2. One thing to play for for MEM, is if they win, SAS HOU both lose, then it will be a three way tie in SW division, and SAS will take the division due to their superior head-to-head record amongst the three. MEM will be 5 in that case, HOU will be 6, as MEM has better conf record over HOU.

Yes, SW division, and #2 or #3 seeds are already out of reach for Memphis. But they will still try to win, to avoid dropping to 6. 5 and 6 means HCA, and that's huge. However if SA and Houston both win, Memphis will have to settle for 6 anyway. In case both SA and Houston have some huge lead early on, Memphis might might pull out their starters late in the game or mentally give up - no point going all out at that point with all their injury concerns.

Regarding the situation of NO and OKC this is really strange. Well, both OKC and NO play against Minny and will very likely win that game (NO did last night). OKC played against Portland last night (who have the 4th seed locked up and nothing to play for; thus tey rested Aldridge) and NO against San Antonio. SA ist still fighting for the 2nd seed and also on an absolute tear right now. Better situation for OKC if you ask me. And while I agree that the technical vs. Westbrook was an iffy one, it still leaves some sour aftertaste in my mouth that he got two of those rescinded in just two weeks. There were 0.13 technicals per player given for the entire season and Russell got two of those taken away within just two weeks? Nothing against OKC, but that's still sort of strange. Seems Silver prefers to have OKC in the playoffs instead of NO.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #118
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Quote:
they spat in your face?!! tough crowd!
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #119
ReplayCenterInSecaucus

ReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the roughReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the roughReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the roughReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the rough

Let's go Pels!
ReplayCenterInSecaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #120
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayCenterInSecaucus View Post
Let's go Pels!
I'm guessing most Mavs fans will be watching that game (if televised) instead of the Portland/Mavs game...at least I will be.