Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #81
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Yeah unfortunately I'm not expecting any particularly exciting roster moves this offseason. I think it's going to be another year of roughly the same level of talent. We'll probably have to wait until next offseason to get a chance for significant improvement.
We gotta make the two picks count and depend on KP becoming something more than a borderline starter.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #82
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We gotta make the two picks count and depend on KP becoming something more than a borderline starter.
The good news is that, at least based on what I've been reading, though the draft is weak at the top, it's actually really deep with 3 & D wings. It looks like the ideal draft to grab a couple of quality role players.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #83
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
The good news is that, at least based on what I've been reading, though the draft is weak at the top, it's actually really deep with 3 & D wings. It looks like the ideal draft to grab a couple of quality role players.
If we keep both picks I'm hoping for the BeyBey combo of Saddiq Bey at #18 and Tyler Bey at #31. Both would be really good fits for what Dallas needs.

Saddiq Bey:

https://youtu.be/1NTzHAv952s

Tyler Bey:

https://youtu.be/siGdCUxgG18
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #84
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
They thought Wright would be one or both of those. To this point in the season, he has not.
I know that the offense has been a bit clunky at times with Wright playing the point, but his defense is still very good and his numbers are actually crazy efficient. If you'd told me coming into the season that he'd be shooting 38.5% on threes, I'd have been ecstatic. If he gets a little more confident/aggressive and stops hesitating on open looks, I still think he can be exactly what we need at that position.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #85
particleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ2003 View Post
If we keep both picks I'm hoping for the BeyBey combo of Saddiq Bey at #18 and Tyler Bey at #31. Both would be really good fits for what Dallas needs.

Saddiq Bey:

https://youtu.be/1NTzHAv952s

Tyler Bey:

https://youtu.be/siGdCUxgG18
Yeeessss! Those are the guys I've been focusing on, too, but there are SO many long wing 3 & D prospects in that range: Josh Green, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels, Robert Woodard, Paul Reed, etc.

Mostly I just hope we keep both picks unless we can somehow package them for a crunch-time scorer/shot-creator. Trading up or trading out seems pointless, otherwise.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #86
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Yeeessss! Those are the guys I've been focusing on, too, but there are SO many long wing 3 & D prospects in that range: Josh Green, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels, Robert Woodard, Paul Reed, etc.

Mostly I just hope we keep both picks unless we can somehow package them for a crunch-time scorer/shot-creator. Trading up or trading out seems pointless, otherwise.
I agree.

I just hope they use this draft to actually make the team better instead of trading down/out and wasting our time. Still can't believe they passed on Bol Bol and Eric Paschall for some dude out of Nebraska last year.
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #87
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
I know that the offense has been a bit clunky at times with Wright playing the point, but his defense is still very good and his numbers are actually crazy efficient. If you'd told me coming into the season that he'd be shooting 38.5% on threes, I'd have been ecstatic. If he gets a little more confident/aggressive and stops hesitating on open looks, I still think he can be exactly what we need at that position.
It's still possible on the 3&D part, sure. I haven't given up on that. And, I agree his defense has been a plus. The thing is, until he actually becomes a threat to shoot, not just fairly efficient, but an actual threat, he really can't be on the floor enough for the team to benefit from his defensive skills. Let's hope he gets more confident, as you say.

Now, as a secondary playmaker, which is what they tried to force feed us through the first 30-40 games this year? No, I HAVE given up on that.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #88
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

IMO, what they truly need is a legit modern NBA 4. Someone a little bigger than DFS, but faster and more athletic than KP, so that KP can just play center full time, and DFS can play the 3 most of the time.

I like Kleiber a lot, but I think I've decided that he's a GREAT bench player, and not a starter.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #89
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now, as a secondary playmaker, which is what they tried to force feed us through the first 30-40 games this year? No, I HAVE given up on that.
Yeah, the offense with him running the point is unwatchable. No hope there.

Quote:
IMO, what they truly need is a legit modern NBA 4. Someone a little bigger than DFS, but faster and more athletic than KP, so that KP can just play center full time, and DFS can play the 3 most of the time.

I like Kleiber a lot, but I think I've decided that he's a GREAT bench player, and not a starter.
Someone like Ibaka would be absolutely perfect for us. A 3&D big man who can rebound and bang in the post. He's already 30 though and is probably unavailable anyway. Is there anyone else on the horizon that has a similar skillset?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #90
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Paul Reed would fit that need pretty well and could possibly be had at 31.
Long 6’9” and one of the best defenders in the draft. Great lateral speed for his size but also blocks shots and decent rebounder. Seems to have similar game as Aminu.

Shooting form is a nightmare though and not super athletic but seems to have a strong motor.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #91
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

How much do I miss basketball? Watching this game for a 3rd time. Don't you dare judge me!
Old 07-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #92
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
How much do I miss basketball? Watching this game for a 3rd time. Don't you dare judge me!
I must be having way too much fun diving and spearfishing this summer. I was so bored, I stopped watching before the end of the first 10 minute quarter. :-/

Last edited by turin; 07-24-2020 at 10:59 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #93
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Its been three years with Maxi on the Mavs...its Kleber
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:05 AM   #94
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I must be having way too much fun diving and spearfishing this summer. I was so bored, I stopped watching before the end of the first 10 minute quarter. :-/
First half was enough for me. Lets see how the regular season feels. Was weird with the crowd noise.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #95
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What even is a "modern NBA 4" in 2020? I don't think the NBA even knows what that means. I just look at the top 8 teams and who they play at PF.

1 - Bucks - 6'10" Giannis is a total freak who plays like a SG. Just totally a unique player
2 - Lakers - Davis - 6'10" PF/C tweener but also a totally unique player.
3 - Raptors - Siakam - 6'8" dude is supernaturally strong, long, and athletic, but other than his physical gifts, he plays like a 2/3 and doesn't have NBA height
4 - Clippers - 6'9" Harkless
5 - Celtics - Taytum is 6'8" who plays l like a 3/4 tweener
6 - Nuggets - 6'7" Millsap
7 - Jazz - 6'8" Bogdanovic is another 3/4 tweener
8 - Heat - are playing 6'7" Butler as their PF who is another 3/4 tweener

The problem is that KP is a 7'3" PF in 2020's NBA where there really aren't traditional PFs at all. We thought the trend was to get bigger and more able to shoot jumpers and KP was supposed to be the ultimate version of that, but then the league got rid of the PF altogether and just started playing SFs who could blow past the Garnetts and Dirks. We have a bunch of guys with the size for the smaller players (Doncic, DFS, Jackson, MKG) while Kleber/Powell/KP can match up with the few teams in the league that have PFs over 6'9"

The problem is that we don't really have any amazing defenders at any position and KP, who was supposed to be a superstar PF has to play C because he's just too big and slow to match up with the long SFs that teams play at PF. It's not that we don't have PFs. We have plenty (Doncic, DFS, Jackson, MKG, Kleber, Powell). It's that we don't really have any defensive players at all at any position.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-25-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #96
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What even is a "modern NBA 4" in 2020? I don't think the NBA even knows what that means. I just look at the top 8 teams and who they play at PF.

1 - Bucks - 6'10" Giannis is a total freak who plays like a SG. Just totally a unique player
3 - Raptors - Siakam - 6'8" dude is supernaturally strong, long, and athletic, but other than his physical gifts, he plays like a 2/3 and doesn't have NBA height

The problem is that KP is a 7'3" PF in 2020's NBA where there really aren't traditional PFs at all. We thought the trend was to get bigger and more able to shoot jumpers and KP was supposed to be the ultimate version of that, but then the league got rid of the PF altogether and just started playing SFs who could blow past the Garnetts and Dirks. We have a bunch of guys with the size for the smaller players (Doncic, DFS, Jackson, MKG) while Kleber/Powell/KP can match up with the few teams in the league that have PFs over 6'9"

The problem is that we don't really have any amazing defenders at any position and KP, who was supposed to be a superstar PF has to play C because he's just too big and slow to match up with the long SFs that teams play at PF. It's not that we don't have PFs. We have plenty (Doncic, DFS, Jackson, MKG, Kleber, Powell). It's that we don't really have any defensive players at all at any position.
Unfortunately true . We are all offense. Basically going to live and die by the 3 ball. If it's falling in crunch time, we will win games.

Oladipo and or VanVleet would be a great style addition. We need 2 way players like that.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:14 AM   #97
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Its been three years with Maxi on the Mavs...its Kleber
Dude, sorry. It's not like me to make such a dumbass mistake. I made it all day, too.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:17 AM   #98
KillerLeft

Quote:

I agree with a lot of this, but vehemently disagree that KP is or should be a 4, not only in this version of the league, but in any version since the turn of the century.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #99
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I agree with a lot of this, but vehemently disagree that KP is or should be a 4, not only in this version of the league, but in any version since the turn of the century.
He was drafted as the new Dirk. Tall. Mobile. Able to shoot over players. The skills of a PF in a huge, agile, coordinated body.

If KP isn't and shouldn't be a PF, then neither should the greatest PF of the 2000s (Dirk).
Old 07-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #100
particleman

Quote:
He was drafted as the new Dirk. Tall. Mobile. Able to shoot over players. The skills of a PF in a huge, agile, coordinated body.

If KP isn't and shouldn't be a PF, then neither should the greatest PF of the 2000s (Dirk).
Do you think Dirk would struggle to stick at PF if he were entering the league today?
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #101
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dirk would likely be drafted as a center these days, though. In the days of Shaq, Tyson Chandler was thought to be a natural PF when he was drafted. Porzingis, himself said he prefers to play center, and really started to get comfortable as a Mav when he was moved there.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #102
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk would definitely be a 5 in today's NBA. As KP should be. It's no coincidence that KP started playing like an all-star again the moment Powell got injured, after struggling so much before. KP needs to be stretch 5, and he and Luka need to just run a constant stream of pick-and-rolls.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote