Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #1201
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Based on many recommendations I watched the whole Firefly series this weekend. It started off slow..but once I got into it..it is hilarious and very good. Reminded me of the anime "Cowboy Bebop" in the Western Scifi genre.

I am now downloading Serenity.

They need to un-cancel the series..pronto.
good man....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #1202
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember if I mentioned here or not, but I watched the Firefly series a couple of months ago and loved it. It's a shame what they did to that series.

Unfortunately I watched Serenity before the series, but I still enjoyed both quite a bit.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-02-2008 at 08:58 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #1203
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I can't remember if I mentioned here or not, but I watched the Firefly series a couple of months ago and loved it. It's a shame what they did to that series.

Unfortunately I watched Serenity before the series, but I still enjoyed both quite a bit.
There is absolutely enough of a fan base for Fox to bring it back...does anyone know if the series is dead TV/Movie wise?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #1204
sike
The Preacha

Did you guys know they are doing an Arrested Development movie...Ron Howard is on to direct.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #1205
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Netflix Selection #12 - The Science of Sleep

my overall rating: 6

For those of you that liked this movie a lot (my ex-girlfriend "LOVES" this movie), you're probably thinking that I just don't "get" it. I get it alright... I just don't like it very much.
i like this movie (and own it), but i don't get the argument about "getting it". There's not really much to "get" about the movie. It's pretty straightforward. I like it mainly because of the unique visuals and direction. but plot/script/acting-wise, it's nothing special.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #1206
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That's too bad that you did not watch it before.

Watching the movie in the theater after having been a fan of the show....it was just so great to have it back...and then they killed wash! bastards.

That show is pure greatness. It's on Saturday night on Universal HD, so it's nice to catch one every now and then.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #1207
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
That's too bad that you did not watch it before.

Watching the movie in the theater after having been a fan of the show....it was just so great to have it back...and then they killed wash! bastards.

That show is pure greatness. It's on Saturday night on Universal HD, so it's nice to catch one every now and then.
Wash was my favorite...that actor is from Dallas, by the way.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #1208
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

According to the wikipedia page, there was brief talk of making another movie after Serenity, but Whedon excused it as "wishful thinking"
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #1209
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
According to the wikipedia page, there was brief talk of making another movie after Serenity, but Whedon excused it as "wishful thinking"
yeah I'm not sure that the first flick was all that financially successful...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #1210
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The DVD sales were very very strong if I remember correctly.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #1211
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The DVD sales were very very strong if I remember correctly.
would that mean a straight to dvd movie most likely?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #1212
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Whedon won't do another movie. He has stated that several times. I saw a youtube clip (although a cursory search for it came up with nothing) a few months back where he said he felt the entire story he wanted to tell was completed.

I found that odd since there seemed to be tons more potential even after the movie gave us answers to mysteries.

I just have a bad feeling that someone is going to direct a follow up without the creative genius of Whedon...... because the push for another movie is strong (and internet driven).

I would like one, but only if done by the frakin' creator.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #1213
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I would like one, but only if done by the frakin' creator.
Doing it without him would be insane...

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #1214
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Dan in Real Life...

Boring chick flick. I made it through about the first 20 or 30 minutes, and then gave up.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #1215
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
Dan in Real Life...

Boring chick flick. I made it through about the first 20 or 30 minutes, and then gave up.

Hmmm too bad. I think we have this coming on netflix. I hoped Carrel would carry it more than that.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #1216
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Hmmm too bad. I think we have this coming on netflix. I hoped Carrel would carry it more than that.
Dane Cook is too much for even Carrel to overcome...

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #1217
sike
The Preacha

Definitely, Maybe

Ryan Reynolds can do no wrong. He even makes good chick flicks.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #1218
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Juno

Everyone says it's good because everyone sucks...

10 minutes into this film the words "honest to blog" were uttered... My girlfriend (who generally likes these types of movies) took one look at me, looked at the TV again, then turned it off... I love my girlfriend!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #1219
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

my opinion on Juno - i thought it was enjoyable and cute. not nearly as great/funny as people made it out to be. but i liked page, and i liked cera, as well as the parents. pretty decently acted movie.

but i had a HUGE problem with the dialogue. NO ONE talks like that. And it was just pop culture references galore.

the fact that she said "Thundercats are GO!" when she went into labor is one of the many references that bothered me.

it is either "thundercats HO!" or "thunderbirds are go!". so the pop culture reference wasn't even right! and diablo cody got an oscar?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #1220
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed Dan in Real Life, and Definitely, Maybe. Two nice feel good movies. Although, I might have been predisposped to enjoy Dan in Real Life because I enjoyed watching the dozen high schoolers get more and more bored a few rows up in the theater as they slowly realized that this was NOT what they expected from a movie starring Carrell and Cook. Too funny.

I'm going to have a lot of down time this week in a hospital room, so I'll be running through movies that I haven't gotten to watching yet. Mostly fairly crappy ones, probably.

First one this morning was Vantage Point. Generic action movie with a very obvious "twist" but the idea of following the different characters through the same short period of time salvaged it somewhat. Not terrible.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-09-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #1221
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I really enjoyed Dan in Real Life, and Definitely, Maybe. Two nice feel good movies. Although, I might have been predisposped to enjoy Dan in Real Life because I enjoyed watching the dozen high schoolers get more and more bored a few rows up in the theater as they slowly realized that this was NOT what they expected from a movie starring Carrell and Cook. Too funny.
Well if thig says it's good then I'll give it shot.

Quote:
I'm going to have a lot of down time this week in a hospital room, so I'll be running through movies that I haven't gotten to watching yet. Mostly fairly crappy ones, probably.
Did you give birth?

Quote:
First one this morning was Vantage Point. Generic action movie with a very obvious "twist" but the idea of following the different characters through the same short period of time salvaged it somewhat. Not terrible.
That's another one that bad reviews scared me off of. How was Matt Fox in it? worth Netflix?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #1222
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

IF anyone likes Paul Giamatti, "The Hawk is Dying" is a good movie!

Anyone seen it?
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #1223
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

My wife is having back surgery. As I type this, actually.

Worth a Netflix? Eh. It was really, really obvious. But it wasn't boring. Leave it for a rainy day. Fox had a pretty small role, nothing real interesting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #1224
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I saw batman begins last night.

one of the worst, most overly conceived plots ever.... I loved it.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #1225
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie Wilson's War - very good movie. I recommend it if you are a fan of Hanks or Hoffman. Not so much for Julia Roberts. Any woman could have played her part. Very generic. That character is the weakest part of the film.

I am glad to see the opinioins I respect not to thrilled about Juno.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #1226
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Really enjoyed CWW as well. Loved the scene of Hoffman's character yelling at his boss and breaking his window. Greatness.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #1227
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
Dan in Real Life...

was that the movie with the line, "You are a murderer of love!!!!"?
That line was great. The only good thing about the movie, but that line still runs through my head when I want to be overly dramatic about anything. Burned the fries? "You are a murderer of love!" the cat missed the litter box again? "You are a murderer of love!!!"
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #1228
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Really enjoyed CWW as well. Loved the scene of Hoffman's character yelling at his boss and breaking his window. Greatness.
Hoffman stole every scene he was in... he was great in this movie.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #1229
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Semi-Pro

Awful. Simply awful. I was expecting it to suck, and it lived up to expectations.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #1230
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The Incredible Hulk. Everything the Ang Lee version should've been. The one tiny problem i had was the movie was the villan's motivation. Overall, i'd put in a tie with X2.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #1231
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone going to go see The Happening this weekend?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #1232
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Is anyone going to go see The Happening this weekend?
Is that the new one by M. Night Shamalamadingdong?

The twist: NOTHING is happening (you heard it here first!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #1233
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i think THE HAPPENING has an interesting premise. And the previews (aside from the ridiculousness of it being promoted as M. Night's first "R" movie) are pretty cool/creepy.

I've liked most of his films (even "the village" was decent to good), but i was really put off by "Lady in the Water", and how self-fellating it was for M. Night. I'll wait to hear how the word of mouth is on it.

I will say that I saw a clip of it on Letterman, and the acting looked pretty bad. Marky Mark had a scene that was pretty laughable in his delivery.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 06-13-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #1234
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

M Nights was a one hit wonder, IMO...and even that one was over-rated just because it fooled the shit out of everyone.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #1235
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about Sixth Sense being a tad overrated (just a tad), but I enjoyed the heck out of Unbreakable.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #1236
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I agree about Sixth Sense being a tad overrated (just a tad), but I enjoyed the heck out of Unbreakable.
I actually thought this movie was good at the time because it transcended the comic book hero movies.....Unfortunately he didn't follow it up with anything. I thought there was ALOT of directions he could have taken with that premise. So, in a way, he pissed me off.. Maybe that explains my disinterest in anything he comes out with.

Edit: I actually loved the idea of the "everyman" hero in the shadows doing the jobs we all fantasize about in our lives. We all would like to be that person in one shape or another. For this reason, I am really attached to the Batman character.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 06-13-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #1237
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix Selection #13 - What's Eating Gilbert Grape

my overall rating: 9.5
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #1238
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix Selection #14 - The Fifth Element

my overall rating: 8

damn leeloo is hot
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #1239
fluid.forty.one

Netflix Selection #15 - The Big Lebowski

my overall rating: 9
Old 06-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #1240
fluid.forty.one

Netflix Selection #16 - Lars and the Real Girl

my overall rating: 6

Not a bad movie but it made me depressed.

sorry for the lame reviews heh trying to catch up.. been busy.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?