Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #1241
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
What's wrong about it?
I think that losing Seth is not a particularly big deal and that we're still a pretty damn good shooting team. I think we have bigger needs. I'd love to add another shooter- always. But I don't share the sense of urgency.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #1242
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I think that losing Seth is not a particularly big deal and that we're still a pretty damn good shooting team. I think we have bigger needs. I'd love to add another shooter- always. But I don't share the sense of urgency.
We will see. I hope I'm wrong but I can just see Luka kicking it out to a wide open Richardson or Kleber or DFS just for them to miss the jumper. I hope Hardaway can continue to keep his jumper he had in the bubble.

If I'm being honest I suspect the Mavs are still trying to get rid of some of these guards we have. I don't think this is the personal we see next month.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #1243
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Luckily, the FO obviously agrees with you that balance was more important than shooting.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #1244
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

It's only cap minutiae that had to happen for the Josh Richardson-Seth Curry trade with Philadelphia to be processed, but the Dallas Mavericks renounced the free agent rights to Dirk Nowitzki.

Feels weird to see considering it's Dirk, but there you have it!
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #1245
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

It's only cap minutiae that had to happen for the Josh Richardson-Seth Curry trade with Philadelphia to be processed, but the Dallas Mavericks renounced the free agent rights to Dirk Nowitzki.

BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #1246
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Delon Wright fits perfectly in Klays 9.3m injury exception
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #1247
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Curry on court/offcourt numbers

Offense
117.8 points per 100 with him on
117.9 points per 100 with him off

defense
114.4 points allowed per 100 with him on the court
112.1 points allowed per 100 with him off the court

He's a nice piece and an amazing person, but the dude was limited. For someone who only came to play offense, he did not make us appreciably better offensively and his inability to play defense really killed us.

I honestly think his leg was bothering him, because his last stint, he's was serviceable on the defensive end-- played a lot like Terry with active hands and quick feet. Last year it felt like he was unable to move his feet at all. I think there must have been something with his last injury that never healed right and he has significantly diminished lateral movement now.

It's weird that last year people all complained that we were one dimensional and that we needed defense. We trade a guy who can do one thing (shoot) to get a guy who is good/above-average at both and people complain.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-19-2020 at 03:47 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #1248
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs tried to get Hailburton and were second behind Portland in trying to get Covington per Lowe.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ese-Haliburton

I hope Richardson was their second choice behind Covington because I'd take Richardson all day, every day over him.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #1249
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Mavs tried to get Hailburton and were second behind Portland in trying to get Covington per Lowe.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ese-Haliburton

I hope Richardson was their second choice behind Covington because I'd take Richardson all day, every day over him.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #1250
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post

Don't call it a comeback
Old 11-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #1251
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

dbl

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-19-2020 at 04:31 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #1252
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Wait, so there were people here who did not like this trade?

Curry is a great shooter, but his size and (fairly) slow release combine to make it difficult for him to get shots off in high volume. I have no doubt his superb percentage would hold up to a higher volume, but he literally can't get enough shots off to affect the defense as well as JJ Reddick, Duncan Robinson, etc.

Hardaway, on the other hand, was in the top 5 of attempted 3's, and shot 40%. That's elite, and while it was a while ago when I looked into this, I'm pretty sure when volume is taken into account, the list of better shooters last year was only Robinson, Reddick and Hield.

Could it have been an outlier? Yeah, definitely. But, imo, it was more accurately a player who was miscast in NY as an offensive creator put into a role that he's actually suited to play. We'll find out.

My point is that when it comes to creating space for this offense, THJ was objectively more important LAST YEAR than Curry. It's not close, imo.

And, they got a guy who I believe will be BETTER than Curry in a year - Terry.

I thought it was an AMAING trade. 10/10. Would trade again.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-19-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #1253
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It's weird that last year people all complained that we were one dimensional and that we needed defense. We trade a guy who can do one thing (shoot) to get a guy who is good/above-average at both and people complain.
Exactly. This. That's why the concerns about our shooting seem odd to me. We'll be fine in that department.

But yes, you can never have too many shooters. What we *really* need now is a 3 and D PF. I wish like hell we could get Ibaka here, but I assume he'll fetch way more than the MLE.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #1254
KillerLeft

Why is every post happening twice?

I'm not doing anything different on my end...I promise I'm not a 'tard or anything.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #1255
KillerLeft

I'm not doing anything different on my end...I promise I'm not a 'tard or anything.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #1256
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post

I'm going to go ahead and ban you for double posting.

Kidding! I think the server got bombarded last night and needs a reboot.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-19-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #1257
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Curry a lot. I like Richardson a lot more. And WE got an extra pick in the transaction

76ers needed shooting desperately. We need 2 way players and we got a really good one
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #1258
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I guess we are still waiting to hear about the WCS opt-out?

Old 11-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #1259
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Brad Townsend: Carlisle indicated on 105.3 The Fan that Bey will be on a two-way contract. Donnie Nelson said last night that undrafted Nate Hinton will be the other two-way player. 54 seconds ago – via Twitter townbrad
Old 11-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #1260
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
THJ opted in via TMac.
Brad Townsend
@townbrad
·
3h
Hardaway opt-in is official, I’m told. No indication of trade possibilities. Coming off arguably his best NBA season, playing alongside Doncic.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #1261
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I guess we are still waiting to hear about the WCS opt-out?
Yup. I think he's hinted at it, but hasn't done it. Strangely, it's after the 4pm deadline.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #1262
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

"I think it's very possible we could do another trade." - Rick Carlisle on
@1053thefan

That means we're making a trade.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #1263
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

@1053thefan

Old 11-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #1264
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

@1053thefan

"We're not done yet," Nelson said, alluding to Friday's start of free agency. "We still want to get this team better on both sides of the ball."

Old 11-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #1265
MFFL
Guru

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
20m
Celtics’ Gordon Hayward has opted out of his $34M deal for the 2020-21 season and will become a free agent, sources tell
@TheAthleticNBA
Old 11-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #1266
MFFL
Guru

Unlikely we could come up with the basics of a sign and trade with Boston but...
Old 11-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #1267
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

From what I'm reading, the Knicks are the primary suitors for Hayward. I doubt we could outbid them.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #1268
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Updated. T. Bey to get the second two-way spot.

Mavs contracts
1) KP
2) Richardson
3) Powell
4) Wright
5) Kleber
6) Doncic
7) DFS
8) Boban
9) Justin
10) Brunson
11) THJ
12) Green (guaranteed 1st rounder)
13)
---inactive---
14)
15)
---two-way players-----
16) T. Bey
17) Nate Hinton

other
WCS - Player option to be decided today by 4pm (unconfirmed but rumor is he opts out)
Barea - rumors were we planned to bring him back as a player
Terry - second-round pick. Contract is optional
MLE - 9.8 million

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-19-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #1269
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
From what I'm reading, the Knicks are the primary suitors for Hayward. I doubt we could outbid them.
He's asking 25mill or more a year.

We can't afford it without giving up a lot (that Boston wouldn't want anyway) and I'm not sure we'd even like to pay him 4/100 either.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #1270
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
I've heard Hawks but yeah, that's out of our range
Old 11-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #1271
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
@1053thefan

I don't see any big moves being made though. Small to medium maybe.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #1272
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

What's the market like for Christian Wood? Seems like he'd be a good fit here.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #1273
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
20m
Celtics’ Gordon Hayward has opted out of his $34M deal for the 2020-21 season and will become a free agent, sources tell
@TheAthleticNBA
What an idiot. Hayward will be lucky to make that the next two years of his new deal.

Edit: I assume, I suppose he might have a promise from someone. Having seen him play extensively post injury I don’t think he’s a $20 million per year player.

Last edited by tap2390; 11-19-2020 at 05:26 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #1274
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Hayward opting out of $34M is surprising. A team willing to offer him enough money over the next few years to make up for that is mind-numbingly batshit insane to me. I don't think he's totally cooked as an effective NBA starter, but there's no way you can pay him over $15M/per and get positive value. Either some bad young team (Atlanta or New York) is preparing to severely overpay for him or there's a complicated sign-and-trade coming out of nowhere. I can't wait to find out.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #1275
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
What an idiot. Hayward will be lucky to make that the next two years of his new deal.

Edit: I assume, I suppose he might have a promise from someone. Having seen him play extensively post injury I don’t think he’s a $20 million per year player.
I think he got a promise for 4/$100
Old 11-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #1276
KillerLeft

Quote:
NY or Atlanta, imo. The NY rumor could be about raising the ATL offer, or maybe vice versa.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #1277
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

I think you're about to be surprised what he can get when all three teams with cap space are bad, desperate teams.

My guess is 4/$125 million. I think he gets another bag.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #1278
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

It's also not that surprising he would opt out considering the economics of the league and free agency are so bizarre and precarious right now that we really have no idea what the market will be like in the years ahead, especially with the cap taking a hit and players losing alot of their money in escrow. Plus, if Hayward hits the market next year, he's one of many, many big name free agents. Right now though, in this historically bad free agent class, he's by far the biggest fish. His value will almost certainly never be as high again as it is right now.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #1279
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Good points KL and Spiral.

Said it before, I’ll say it again, overpaying good players like they’re great is a team killer.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #1280
tap2390
Diamond Member

Good points KL and Spiral.

Said it before, I’ll say it again, overpaying good players like they’re great is a team killer.