Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #1241
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I can guarantee TH will not be able to create and/or get his shot off against the 4's in the NBA. He played in the ACC, all the top recruits in the region go to the same schools... one of which is the school he played for.

He went up against a NBA-caliber PF in Griffin and we all know how that turned out.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?

Last edited by TheMaverick; 06-04-2009 at 03:14 AM.
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #1242
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
I can guarantee TH will not be able to create and/or get his shot off against the 4's in the NBA. He played in the ACC, all the top recruits in the region go to the same schools... one of which is the school he played for.

He went up against a NBA-caliber PF in Griffin and we all know how that turned out.

Can't get his shot off? Meaning it will be easy to guard him or he will get his shots blocked? He doesn't shoot jump shots he pounds in the paint and draws fouls quite often! He is a good free throw shooter for a big too. He isn't my ideal pick (because of our current roster) but you can't snub your nose at the tenacity and relentlessness he brings. I think he will be much more than Najera in this league mostly because he can get points in the paint.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #1243
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think he will be much more than Najera in this league mostly because he can get points in the paint.
yeah...thats what I'm not so sure about.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #1244
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

TH pounded in the paint in college and still got his shots thrown back in his face... Are we watching the same guy?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #1245
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Psycho T and James Singleton is not a good comparison.

I would say Hansborough's equivalence would be Malik Rose. Nothing spectacular, just a solid and long career. A player good for about 10 minutes per game because of his "heart" and hustle.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #1246
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
TH pounded in the paint in college and still got his shots thrown back in his face... Are we watching the same guy?
Apparently you must be thinking of someone else.

TH career avg 20/9 and FT% 80%(has gone up ev year)84% last year. The guy was runner up for POY last year.

If he gets his shots blocked it's probably because he is always roughin it up in the paint, he gets alot of and 1's too tho.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #1247
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That logic works both ways. He went to a school that brings in McDonalds All-Americans every year managed to maintain his place in the hierarchy. Campare that to a guy like Reyshawn Terry whose junior year was better than his senior year because he got displaced by a great freshman class.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #1248
SMC0007
Guru

Well IDC what anyone says, TH should be the #1 pick overall and will dominate the NBA for many years to come starting immediately early as summer league. So were soo stupid to pass him up if some miracle happens and he is available still. Prepare for TH's world domination, and the evolution of basketball as we know it. In fact I wouldn't mind trading Dirk to move up and ensure that he is a Maverick, and then lock him up until he is 40 because lookout.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #1249
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Why would Boston want to give up its young, upcoming star in Rondo, to obtain a PF that has historically had more knee problems than KG?
I don't understand it either, Adam. That would be a foolish trade for Boston and wonderful for Phoenix. Amare is a cancer, he whines about not getting enough touches, sucks at defense, is ALWAYS in foul trouble, and is consistently hurt like you stated above. Why the Hell would boston do this trade?
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #1250
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well IDC what anyone says, TH should be the #1 pick overall and will dominate the NBA for many years to come starting immediately early as summer league. So were soo stupid to pass him up if some miracle happens and he is available still. Prepare for TH's world domination, and the evolution of basketball as we know it. In fact I wouldn't mind trading Dirk to move up and ensure that he is a Maverick, and then lock him up until he is 40 because lookout.
Cocaine is a helluva drug...
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #1251
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you have him confused w/ BJ Mullens- half man, half AmareDirkKG
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #1252
SMC0007
Guru

Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #1253
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Is it true Bob O is leaving the Mavs broadcast team? I read a thread on the DB forum...
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #1254
SMC0007
Guru

Nooo, I like Bob. Surely he isn't going elsewhere.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #1255
SMC0007
Guru

http://www.thetwomangame.com/

Some cool stuff here about guys Mavs are scheduled to work out or at least looking at.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #1256
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I know we are trying to improve by getting some solid players in here. I would look at the Clippers and Bucks for deals involving Kaman/ Davis Jefferson/Redd/ Session/ even Villenueva and maybe even their picks. I guess a lot of people are talking about the Bobcats and that wouldnt be a bad team to look at either.

I would keep Green(still young with a lot of potential)/ Hollins (people are underrating him and hes got potential)Singleton (great overall energy guy).

Hopefully Kidd is back and I would try to get rid of Bass and Josh. We can look at other options with other players that do not include Dirk. I would love to make a strong push for Bosh. Even some seem to disagree. You have to remember there are no BIG centers anymore in the NBA. Most are just long and athletic and fast and Bosh would be fine IMO.

** Does anyone think we should look at Sacramento. IDK what their plans are, but I wouldnt mind picking up McCants for our last guy and seeing if we can work on him a lil.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #1257
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Psycho T and James Singleton is not a good comparison.

I would say Hansborough's equivalence would be Malik Rose. Nothing spectacular, just a solid and long career. A player good for about 10 minutes per game because of his "heart" and hustle.
Good comparison. Did Rose have injuries that caught up to him...or the game just eventually caught up to him? Injuries really seem to the be breaking point for guys like Psycho T.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #1258
TheMaverick
Golden Member

Rose is still in the league I believe. OKC.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #1259
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rose is still in the league I believe. OKC.
Yeah, but he's definitely not the same player he was, say like his days with the Spurs.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #1260
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Stack
Williams
Josh

for

Nocioni
Martin

we get a starting SG and a solid SF depending on what else we do

a line up of

Kamen/Hollins ??
Dirk/ ??
Wright/ Nocioni/ Singleton
Martin/ Jet/Wright
Kidd/ JJ

..................maybe other pieces depending on what we do

Assuming we do something with Damp we could put Jefferson at the SF maybe?? or depending on what heppens with Kidd we could put Davis at PG

hmmm

Kamen/ Hollins
Dirk/ ??
Jefferson/ Wright
Martin/ Jet
Davis/ JJ

We could still have Nocioni/ Green/ Singleton

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #1261
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #1262
BGMaverick9
Guru

from the AP

Bosh won't extend deal before 2010

Quote:
TORONTO -- Chris Bosh doesn't plan to sign a contract extension with the Toronto Raptors this summer and is preparing to become a free agent at the end of next season.

Bosh is in the final year of a deal that will pay him $15.7 million. While Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo has spoken optimistically in the past about signing Bosh to an extension this summer, Bosh said that isn't his intention. He said leaving his status up in the air could actually help both himself and the Raptors, who missed the playoffs this season with a 33-49 record.

"[When] I signed a three-year [extension in 2006]... I had a goal in mind, and that was to put myself in the best position [in 2010] ... I'm thinking I just want to stick to my goal, stick to what I was doing," Bosh told reporters. "That's a part of the plan ... I just want to address things [after] next season. There's a reason why I did things the way I did them back then."

Should Bosh become a free agent in 2010, he'll join a crop of players that could include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash.
He's gonna get traded for sure, it's just a matter of when now.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-04-2009 at 09:26 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #1263
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Kevin Martin sucks.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #1264
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

We have to get Bosh!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #1265
241mavsrule

241mavsrule is on a distinguished road

what would it take to get martin?
Would the kings want to get rid of him?
241mavsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #1266
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Kings wouldn't trade Martin, Hawes, or Thompson for anything we'd offer. Those three are their building blocks.

I'd like to see if we could make take a flier on Donte' Green. He looked a little lost last year but everything I've heard about him makes him sound like he could be a good reserve player with the right coaching.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #1267
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Kings wouldn't trade Martin, Hawes, or Thompson for anything we'd offer. Those three are their building blocks.

I'd like to see if we could make take a flier on Donte' Green. He looked a little lost last year but everything I've heard about him makes him sound like he could be a good reserve player with the right coaching.

Hhaha I met Greene at my work up here in NY a few weeks before the draft. I work at a store and he came thru and we had a convo about where he was expecting to go. Dont seem like a bad guy...but if we keep G.Green..I would rather go after McCants and Martin

........GO MAVS
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #1268
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post

I think if we gave them Josh and Stack and took back Nocioni ( who is not a bad player at all)...they would consider it

........GO MAVS
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #1269
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO View Post

Kamen/ Hollins
Dirk/ ??
Jefferson/ Wright
Martin/ Jet
Davis/ JJ

We could still have Nocioni/ Green/ Singleton
This line up would be sick IMO...crazy

........GO MAVS
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #1270
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Magic big man might be good fit for the Mavs
9:32 AM Thu, Jun 04, 2009
Tim MacMahon

No, I don't have a grand plan to get the Magic to trade Dwight Howard to Dallas. But his backup will be available this summer, and Marcin Gortat is a big man who might fit well with the Mavs.

Gortat, a 7-1, 240-pound 25-year-old, doesn't get much playing time as Superman's backup. But he is effective when he's on the floor, averaging 10.9 points on 57-percent shooting, 13.0 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per 36 minutes during his first full NBA season.

Gortat will be a restricted free agent, but there's been speculation that the Magic won't be able to keep him for financial reasons. Hedo Turkoglu is expected to opt out of his contract, and re-signing him would push Orlando into luxury-tax territory for the first time. Gortat will get at least a hefty chunk of somebody's mid-level exception, and the Mavs would be wise to consider investing in him, especially if they trade Erick Dampier.

This isn't your stereotypical soft Euro 7-footer. Gortat, the son of a heavyweight boxer, is a tough, rugged dude. But he's not a big stiff, either. Just watch him run the floor during the Finals.
The bold part is wrong, he's unrestricted. He's going bolt for sure.

Like I said in the NBA thread...please feel free to jump on board the bandwagon. You're late, but we've got plenty of seats available. The DMN owes me rep!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #1271
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The bold part is wrong, he's unrestricted. He's going bolt for sure.

Like I said in the NBA thread...please feel free to jump on board the bandwagon. You're late, but we've got plenty of seats available. The DMN owes me rep!!!!
He's listed as restricted here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeagents-09-10
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #1272
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
hoopshype and another site (storytellerscontracts) don't have him as restricted.

But doing more digging, he is restricted.
The problem is that Hedu is more than likely going to opt out this summer. I can't see them letting him walk after what he's done this postseason. So if you have a decision on him and have Gortat becoming pricey as well...you've gotta sign Hedu and let Gortat walk. It's simple: re-up with a starter or re-up with a backup who is stuck behind your stud player? Teams are going to throw around at least half or all of the MLE at Gortat...they can't afford to keep both guys.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-04-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #1273
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hoopshype and another site (storytellerscontracts) don't have him as restricted.

But doing more digging, he is restricted.
The problem is that Hedu is more than likely going to opt out this summer. I can't see them letting him walk after what he's done this postseason. So if you have a decision on him and have Gortat becoming pricey as well...you've gotta sign Hedu and let Gortat walk. Teams are going to throw around at least half or all of the MLE at Gortat...they can't afford to keep both guys.
Agreed. And I'm really hoping for a good series from Hedo for precisely that reason. I don't think they can afford to let him go - he's just a little too important to their style of play. And Gortat, simply by virtue of playing behind Howard, is unlikely to be such a priority for them that they'd match a big offer, regardless of their right to do so.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that if you want to be confident of winning his services, it's going to effectively cost you the MLE to get him. Not that you'd quite need to offer him the whole thing, but you'd need to go high enough that the amount that was left wouldn't differ much from the BAE, and so would be of very limited use.

And I'll say this, too; I don't think he's likely to find a situation that'd be a better match for him than what Dallas can offer.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #1274
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

I just watched the game today. I want gortat on the mavs! The name just screams out: "Effin Ay! I'm Gortat!"
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #1275
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Agreed. And I'm really hoping for a good series from Hedo for precisely that reason. I don't think they can afford to let him go - he's just a little too important to their style of play. And Gortat, simply by virtue of playing behind Howard, is unlikely to be such a priority for them that they'd match a big offer, regardless of their right to do so.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that if you want to be confident of winning his services, it's going to effectively cost you the MLE to get him. Not that you'd quite need to offer him the whole thing, but you'd need to go high enough that the amount that was left wouldn't differ much from the BAE, and so would be of very limited use.

And I'll say this, too; I don't think he's likely to find a situation that'd be a better match for him than what Dallas can offer.
I think if you can get a quality player (a wing/guard) for Stack, you pick a quality player from the draft (maybe more than 1 if you buy a pick), and you pick up a quality potential center in Gortat...that's a pretty good start.

I don't necessarily think it requires a great series from Hedu to definitely raise the price-tag. He's saved that team's playoff hopes at least once or twice and he's been a factor in every series. Teams can throw money at him but I think he's going to like the situation in Orlando, it's pretty hard to walk away from a team that has Dwight Howard on it.

It'd be interesting if Gortat saw Dallas as an option like how we could see him. I definitely think he would get a ton of minutes here and if we were able to follow that route I was talking about above then signing Gortat to most of the MLE doesn't seem like a bad move to me. He's got a lot of upside and he seems to pretty confident in his actions on the court. There were a handful of times in Game 1 where he flashed to the rim and could've had dunks but the passes never were made: Kidd can make those passes and Gortat has the hands to catch them.

If Carlisle and Co. want to get more athletic at the 5 spot...there is your answer.
So if you're the GM, grndmstr_c, do you make that offer to him?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-05-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #1276
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Gortat is not a starter
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #1277
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I think the Mavs should see what would it take to land Ray Allen & Rajon Rondo...I heard they where on the trading block for some reason, so what could the Mavs offer to get them?
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #1278
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Gortat is not a starter
He has a lot of good upside to actually be one if he's given minutes.
- He grabs rebounds and he fights for rebounds.
- He runs the floor amazingly well.
- He has good leaping ability.
- Pretty decent passer
- Sets good picks and rolls to the basket and can finish with authority

I came away impressed with the defense after Game 1. He didn't really have to play man defense in the Cleveland series but he had a few encounters with Gasol and I think he made things difficult for Gasol because of his frame and his speed. That was the last part of his game I needed to really get a feel for and I came away pleased with it.

You don't have to run plays for him, just like you don't for Damp. He can do his action on putbacks and he add athleticism in the form of being able to catch lob passes and throw it down. He's a quasi project...he just needs more minutes. He knows what he can do and he maximizes those abilities, he'll get better with more time.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #1279
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
So if you're the GM, grndmstr_c, do you make that offer to him?
I reserve the right to change my mind if his play in the finals doesn't hold up to the standard he's set thus far, but right now I'm going to say yes. I think he can be won from the Magic with a bold offer, I think the potential of the fit and the potential for growth (though he is 25) are high enough that he's worth the monetary risk, I think he can be convinced that there's no place in the NBA where he'll have a better opportunity to make his mark and make a difference, and I think Dallas has a better chance of getting an impact wing with Stack's contract than they have of getting an impact center. It'd also be a good cover-your-ass move because three of Dallas' front court guys are free agents who could get signed by other teams, not to mention the fact that Damp will not under any circumstances be playing for the team after next season.

Bring in Gortat. Bring back Kidd and Bass. Get a starter at SG/SF using Stack. Look around to see if you can convince a veteran wing (e.g., Parker) to take a pay cut and the rest of your MLE to round out the roster. You do that and you've got yourself a damn good team.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #1280
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I reserve the right to change my mind if his play in the finals doesn't hold up to the standard he's set thus far, but right now I'm going to say yes. I think he can be won from the Magic with a bold offer, I think the potential of the fit and the potential for growth (though he is 25) are high enough that he's worth the monetary risk, I think he can be convinced that there's no place in the NBA where he'll have a better opportunity to make his mark and make a difference, and I think Dallas has a better chance of getting an impact wing with Stack's contract than they have of getting an impact center. It'd also be a good cover-your-ass move because three of Dallas' front court guys are free agents who could get signed by other teams, not to mention the fact that Damp will not under any circumstances be playing for the team after next season.

Bring in Gortat. Bring back Kidd and Bass. Get a starter at SG/SF using Stack. Look around to see if you can convince a veteran wing (e.g., Parker) to take a pay cut and the rest of your MLE to round out the roster. You do that and you've got yourself a damn good team.

I would agree! I'm sticking with him even if he has an off game or two...he's still learning. This season is his first FULL season in the league, that's pretty dang good for getting acclimated to the league. I've read he has a relatively decent jump shot but he doesn't use it very much because he's always banging down low in the paint. That's just food for thought.

Gortat is solid backup insurance and I truly think if he's given the opportunity, he's going to shock a lot of people and fight for the spot. He's a hustle guy but be a very efficient one. He's not going to dominate you on the block, but he can bring a ton of athleticism and bring in the rebounds. He's tough too, he's not backing down from anyone.

You're correct that Stack is likely to get you a much better quality wing vs a quality center. So if you're able to do that, pick a solid player with the draft, use the remaining MLE to find a bargain...there will be bargains, and you do have an improved roster. Plus you still have your assets with Damp and Josh to use over the course of the season if something great pops up.

Tags
bea > drew > erick, bea arthur could ball, bea arthur has balls, biedrins for the wins, boobsftw, damn bucksuckshot, flaco's purple nipples, mc pee pants?, oliwa?candy, ostertagtag?, tweetweet, who is this mcpants?