Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #1281
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I'm not understanding why people are saying Dirk should come off the bench. What will happen in those opening 6 to 8 minutes that will ruin the rest of the game?

If the Mavs consistently get behind in the 1st quarter by double digits THEN you can make an argument to bench Dirk. Until then he should be the starter. He's earned it
I really can't see a scenario where Dirk starts. And honestly, I think he'll voluntarily come off the bench.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #1282
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not understanding why people are saying Dirk should come off the bench. What will happen in those opening 6 to 8 minutes that will ruin the rest of the game?

If the Mavs consistently get behind in the 1st quarter by double digits THEN you can make an argument to bench Dirk. Until then he should be the starter. He's earned it
The concept that you set a defensive tone as well as having more offensive punch with the subs relieving starters. Though things have changed some with DJ. I like the idea of starting a more athletic and better defensive group including Powell and then having instant offense in Dirk off the bench. With Dirk and a 19 year old I cant imagine we will be locking it down especially early on.

I dont think you bench Dirk in season. He has earned more than what benching him would suggest. That's something you go to him and ask his thoughts on before the season IMO. That's another thing I'm thankful that I can pretend to be Rick from my recliner and dont have to do the hard stuff

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-14-2018 at 03:47 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #1283
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I really can't see a scenario where Dirk starts. And honestly, I think he'll voluntarily come off the bench.
Dirk has to start. Otherwise he won’t be warmed up enough. Even 5 minutes on the bench, he’s said that he gets stiff and that makes him prone to injury. That’s kinda the thing with being old

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #1284
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
Dirk played mostly Center last year and Powell for the most part was a PF with only spot minutes at the 5. If Powell continues his progression there will be no reason he shouldn’t be starting.
It's cool to have an opinion so you can argue that Dirk SHOULD play a certain position, but factually Dirk played the majority (62% of his minutes) at PF and 80% of his minutes in the last 40 games at center. As the season went on, he actually played MORE time at PF, because Rick realized the experiment didn't work.

Powell played 95% of his minutes at center (99% over the last 40 games).

Powell was given a chance to be a PF last season and for a couple of games this season, but you can't be a PF in Rick's system without a consistent jumper that goes out to the three point line. Powell failed to be good enough so he spent the entire season developing as a center and he got pretty darn good at it. As I've said, he went from shooting 43% of his shots inside last year to shooting 62% of his shots inside while continuing to shoot an eFG% of 73% from there. As a center, he saw his best PER, his best rebounding, and his best overall eFG%. He's our center and now that Jordan is here, he looks like our primary backup center unless he somehow blows us away with his shooting in camp.

Honestly hope Kleber and Powell both make a push to be the "starting" PF. Maybe Rick will also experiment with Barnes at PF again with a big-time rebounder next to him. Anything is possible, but I like the competition. For now, though, Powell has spent an entire season developing into a Rick-style center and Rick liked what he saw, so Powell is going to have to do a lot to change that perspective.

Quote:
Starting him at the 4 also gives Dallas a pretty athletic front court with DJ at the 5. Also saves Dirks legs and limits exposing him in defense. Dirk would be able to come off the bench as instant offense. Hell he could even end up in the running for 6th man of the year. It just makes too much sense to bring Dirk off the bench at this point in his career and he himself has even said he has no problem coming off the bench at this point.
The problem is that Dirk isn't coming off the bench. They've tried it and at 40, he's just not limber enough. He needs to be warmed up and ready to go. Powell may usurp Kleber's role as Dirk's primary backup at the PF spot, but Dirk will start-- not because he's our best player but because if he plays, he starts both halves after warming up before each.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-14-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #1285
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I think we’re arguing two different definitions of the word “starter” here... Some people look at it as the guy who actually starts the game, whereas others look at it as the guy who gets the most minutes at the position — it’s the old JET-Stevenson debate, except Dirk is basically Stevenson in this scenario.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #1286
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

So you're saying the starting lineup will be DJ/Dirk/Barnes/Doncic/Smith? I'll believe it when I see it because that is an absolute disaster on defense.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #1287
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dirk has to start. Otherwise he won’t be warmed up enough. Even 5 minutes on the bench, he’s said that he gets stiff and that makes him prone to injury. That’s kinda the thing with being old
Nah, it can be done. Delay his warm up time.. put him on a bike.. he sits then comes back in already so it's a myth or convenient excuse to say there are no ways around that. Not saying its absolutely best to have him 6th man but it can be done

Old 07-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #1288
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I think we’re arguing two different definitions of the word “starter” here... Some people look at it as the guy who actually starts the game, whereas others look at it as the guy who gets the most minutes at the position — it’s the old JET-Stevenson debate, except Dirk is basically Stevenson in this scenario.
This.. goes exactly to my point about defensive tone being a priority, paired with a bigger punch off the bench. Its exactly what helped win our ship.

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-14-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #1289
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
So you're saying the starting lineup will be DJ/Dirk/Barnes/Doncic/Smith? I'll believe it when I see it because that is an absolute disaster on defense.
Yea. I have a feeling that is our default until proven otherwise.. but as much as they should start the season with Dirk on the bench then if necessary change him to starter.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #1290
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:

Exactly. Maybe some here haven’t realized but Dirk is not the same 25-30 ppg player he used to be. At this point in his career he’s lucky to put up 15-17 a game. He’s also a huge liability on defense and on the boards. We all love Dirk but he’s not the same player and really is best suited for coming off the bench. He’s not a guy that’s going to give you 30 min a night anymore. I expect he’ll average about 15-20 min a game this season with the occasional 25 min game. If a good bulk of those minutes are coming at the end of the game as a closer that means he likely won’t be starting many games unless it’s as a ceremonial starter.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #1291
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:

That really is the only reason Dirk should be starting. They could also do what they used to do with JET. Have him ride the exercise bike until it’s time for him to check in. I have no doubt that will figure out a way to stay warm.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #1292
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Until RC says Dirk is coming off the bench I'm going to assume he's starting. Dirk has already said he was open to coming off the bench, he said it would be difficult given the whole stiff situation EL brought up but he was open to anything that would help the team. However, when the same question was brought to RC he flatly said, as far as he was concerned Dirk will always start as long as he(RC) is here(as coach). And the only lineup I see where Dirk comes off the bench, in the event he does say it, has Barnes at the 4 not Powell. Because I really don't think Powell can shoot. He's had several years to show he can and he clearly isn't even showing he can in practice or else RC would have tried to play him at the 4 more last year. The fact he hasn't really tells me all I need to know about his jumper. Maybe he makes a quantum leap this year but I doubt it.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #1293
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Center - Jordan (100%)/Powell (95%)/Mejri (100%)
Power Forward - Dirk (62%) /Barnes (56%)/ Kleber (72%)
Small Forward - Wes (68%) /DFS (50%)/ Broekhoff (*)
Shooting Guard - Doncic (*) / Yogi (73%)
Point Guard - DSJ (80%) /Barea (100%) /Brunson (*)

G-League - Motley/ Kostas

I still count 14. Who am I missing?
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like some assumptions are being made. I thought the Mavericks had not signed Maxi Kleber, Dirk Nowitzki, Dorian Finney-Smith, Yogi Ferrell, or Jalen Brunson yet. Also did the Mavericks sign Johnathan Motley to a one or two season deal last year? I don't remember seeing the details anywhere.

I really feel like all of these players will be Mavericks next season so that may be what you're going with in your post, but I just didn't think it was official yet.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #1294
Me.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like some assumptions are being made. I thought the Mavericks had not signed Maxi Kleber, Dirk Nowitzki, Dorian Finney-Smith, Yogi Ferrell, or Jalen Brunson yet. Also did the Mavericks sign Johnathan Motley to a one or two season deal last year? I don't remember seeing the details anywhere.

I really feel like all of these players will be Mavericks next season so that may be what you're going with in your post, but I just didn't think it was official yet.

I believe Motley was signed to a 2 year 2-way deal.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #1295
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The FO has already said they intend to sign Yogi and Dirk, Brunson is assumed, Kleiber and DFS are non-guaranteed (either can be waived), and Motley signed a two year 2-way (although he can easily be waived as well)... So you're correct that none of these guys are *official* yet.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #1296
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Quote:

Maxi and DFS are under contract, just non-guaranteed. DFS became guaranteed on July 5th. Maxi becomes guaranteed tomorrow the 15th if he isn't waived. Motley is still on a two way. Two way contracts are for 2 years unless the player is waived or converted to a full contract. It's why Jalen Jones had to be waived in order to sign Kostas. Those guys were technically still on two way contracts.

However, you are correct that Dirk and Yogi are still technically free agents and Brunson hasn't signed his rookie contract.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #1297
Underdog

Okay, so we can have anywhere from 1-5 roster spots available (Brunson & Yogi haven't inked contracts yet, DFS & Kleiber could easily be waived, I'm not including Dirk in this discussion) -- the following players are still technically free agents... Who do we fill that last roster spot with? Do we bump any of our guys to make room for someone else?

@KeithSmithNBA: Remaining FA PGs:
R. Arcidiacono
A. Brooks
L. Brown
M. Chalmers
M. Delaney
K. Felder
Y. Ferrell
T. Frazier
J. Gibson
D. Harris
A. Ingram
J. Jack
D. Jackson
S. Larkin
T. Lawson
X. Munford (R)
J. Nelson
M. Paige
G. Payton II
R. Sessions
M. Smart (R)
J. Terry
D. Walton Jr
J. Young

@KeithSmithNBA: Remaining FA SGs:
A. Afflalo
J. Bird (R)
M. Brown (R)
V. Carter
P. Connaughton
C. Cooke
Jamal Crawford
Jordan Crawford
M. Doyle
PJ Dozier
M. Georges-Hunt
T. Graham
A. Harrison
D. Hilliard II (R)
R. Hood (R)
P. McCaw (R)
D. Nwaba
D. Wade
T. Wallace (R)
A. White
CJ Wilcox
N. Young

@KeithSmithNBA: Remaining FA SFs:
J. Artis
C. Brewer
A. Brown
B. Caboclo
D. Hamilton
D. House
J. Huestis
A. Jefferson
R. Jefferson
J. Johnson
M. Miller (R)
B. Moore
S. Muhammad
A. Peters

@KeithSmithNBA: Remaining FA PFs:
Q. Acy
L. Babbitt
M. Beasley
T. Booker
N. Collison (retiring)
J. Cooley
M. Costello
D. Cunningham
M. Harrell (R)
U. Haslem
E. McCree
C. McCullough
J. Mickey
D. Nowitzki
N. Vonleh
T. Wear
J. Webb III

@KeithSmithNBA: Remaining FA Centers:
T. Black
C. Capela (R)
J. Lauvergne
A. Len
M. Mathiang
G. Monroe
L. Nogueira
J. Okafor
M. Plumee (R)
M. Speights

Last edited by Underdog; 07-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #1298
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Vince Carter one more time. He got along with the team, was a professional, and could score
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #1299
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Okay, so we can have anywhere from 1-5 roster spots available (Brunson & Yogi haven't inked contracts yet, DFS & Kleiber could easily be waived, I'm not including Dirk in this discussion)
Dirk - keep him. He has potential

Kleber - I'd take him over every FA out there. Dude was a rookie who came in and shot 50% and 30% from three and was a tremendous teammate. Whether he takes another step and make the argument to start or if he stays the same and becomes a Cardinal type, I dont care. I want him here.

Yogi - meh. Seems likable. Was one of our best shooters and scorers. Just can't run an offense so the majority of his minutes came at SG and that sounds like a really dumb idea to play a 6 footer for signficant minutes at the 2.

DFS - People hate him, but I think he could be instrumental if he is just 3/D and finishing broken plays. He also has great size at 6'8". It's funny that a lot of the same people that want him gone also complain about our lack of size. Dude can guard 2-3 positions and bring intensity (when healthy-- he wasnt last year but now he is).
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #1300
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't mind Hood from that FA list. Talent wise would be a good fit but not sure he would be mentally.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #1301
SMC0007
Guru

No one on that list causes any movement whatsoever.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #1302
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DFS - People hate him, but I think he could be instrumental if he is just 3/D and finishing broken plays. He also has great size at 6'8". It's funny that a lot of the same people that want him gone also complain about our lack of size. Dude can guard 2-3 positions and bring intensity (when healthy-- he wasnt last year but now he is).
Right now though he's just "D" not "3/D". And he plays half of his time at the 4 so that great size isn't so great when he's at the 4. Especially considering he's worse than Barnes at grabbing boards. If he shows improvement in preseason then that's great but the small sample of last year and the tiny example of lolsummer league was that he hasn't improved.

I think what actually drove me crazier with DFS than his poor shooting was that some games he was invisible. He can play 17-18 mins and shoot 1-2 shots. I just struggle to believe that as much as we predicate space and movement that he can only put up 2 shots in a 15-17min span. Or sometimes he would play 20-30 mins and put up 6-7 shots. If it's in the flow and he's passing up a decent shot for a better shot that's great but we have been pretty shitty offensively for 2 years, I find it hard to believe he passed up a shot for a better shot and more likely that he just plain passes up shots because he isn't confident taking them.

PER is pretty overrated in a lot of regards but it does at least show when someone is contributing to the box score. So his defense won't show up, but as it pertains to him being invisible... he has a PER of below 8. As a rookie he played in 80+ games and only managed to have a PER higher than a handful of dudes who were here to play 6 games or less. Like a dude named Ben Bentil. And last year in the small sample he had nearly an identical PER as his rookie season and managed to somehow be beaten by Collinsworth at basically anything stat related, including defensive metrics. About the only 2 things he beat Collinsworth at were points per 36, by a whopping 2 and TS%. He finished 20th out of 24 players who suited up for us for at least a game in his rookie season in PER. And he finished 18th of 23 last year. That's pretty God awful IMO. I'm not saying we cut some players who were better simply because of PER, but I am saying he can only get away with contributing this little if he is an absolute lock down defender, and he's not IMO, not even close rly.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #1303
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hood or Beasley would help supplement scoring.

Have a feeling we will overpay for Yogi for no reason
Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #1304
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

The Yogi comments remind me of the J.J. comments I read before we won the NBA title. We even let J.J. go after our championship season. They are very similar players. I feel like we need to keep Yogi right now because he's a bargain right now. I hate the idea of having garbage players surrounding 1 or 2 superstars. Yogi is far from a garbage player. He was our best rated defensive player last year, and he is a good offensive player. We need to keep him around as long as we can, especially when we can do it for around $2 to 2.5 million per season. I think that's pretty much what we'll be doing.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #1305
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Yogi comments remind me of the J.J. comments I read before we won the NBA title. We even let J.J. go after our championship season. They are very similar players. I feel like we need to keep Yogi right now because he's a bargain right now. I hate the idea of having garbage players surrounding 1 or 2 superstars. Yogi is far from a garbage player. He was our best rated defensive player last year, and he is a good offensive player. We need to keep him around as long as we can, especially when we can do it for around $2 to 2.5 million per season. I think that's pretty much what we'll be doing.

By what metric?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #1306
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
By what metric?
Baro-metric... Yogi put the pressure on.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #1307
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Baro-metric... Yogi put the pressure on.
Line of the year nominee.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #1308
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

67 days until camp
Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #1309
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
67 days until camp
Don't you fn Dare start this now!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #1310
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
By what metric?
According to the advanced metrics, Dirk was a better defender than Matthews

https://stats.nba.com/players/defens...mID=1610612742
Old 07-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #1311
Me.B

Quote:
According to the advanced metrics, Dirk was a better defender than Matthews

https://stats.nba.com/players/defens...mID=1610612742

That’s exactly what you can’t just look at stats. You have to actually watch the games. Dirk is f’ing horrible on defense. He has almost no lateral movement. Wes is not the same player he was before his injury but you just have to watch the games to tell he’s a better defender than Dirk. Dirk might literally be the worst defender in the NBA. Even he would tell you that.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #1312
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
That’s exactly what you can’t just look at stats. You have to actually watch the games. Dirk is f’ing horrible on defense. He has almost no lateral movement. Wes is not the same player he was before his injury but you just have to watch the games to tell he’s a better defender than Dirk. Dirk might literally be the worst defender in the NBA. Even he would tell you that.
His only defensive weapon is the swipe.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #1313
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
His only defensive weapon is the swipe.
The dreaded, finger jamming Karl Malone swipe.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #1314
Me.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
The dreaded, finger jamming Karl Malone swipe.

There were a couple of times where it appeared Malone nearly separated Dirk’s shoulder with that swipe move.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #1315
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Brunson officially inks 3+ TO deal
Old 07-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #1316
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Don't LOOK at the stats - understand the stats.

Dirk is an effective defensive rebounder which is a stat that some people overlook but is important. Yeah Dirk might not have the lateral movement but he's smart and he puts himself in position to challenge the shot. And then he gets the rebound if they miss. That's defense.

Matthews is terrible at everything. I watch the games and I cringe every time Matthews is on the court. He can't rebound (he gets a rebound every 10.9 minutes - by comparison the tiny Yogi gets a rebound every 9.2 minutes).

So yeah I would cut Matthews in a heartbeat.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #1317
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't LOOK at the stats - understand the stats.

Dirk is an effective defensive rebounder which is a stat that some people overlook but is important. Yeah Dirk might not have the lateral movement but he's smart and he puts himself in position to challenge the shot. And then he gets the rebound if they miss. That's defense.

Matthews is terrible at everything. I watch the games and I cringe every time Matthews is on the court. He can't rebound (he gets a rebound every 10.9 minutes - by comparison the tiny Yogi gets a rebound every 9.2 minutes).

So yeah I would cut Matthews in a heartbeat.

Dirk is a viable defensive rebounder. He grabs 25.2% of available defensive rebounds, about the same rate as Salah. Other than that, Dirk is horrid on defense. He can't guard the perimeter which will be a necessity if he's going to be playing the 4. While he is OK on the inside, he committed 101 shooting fouls (the worst on the team by more than 15). All in all, Dirk is definitely a negative defender, especially when paired with DeAndre forcing one of the two to the perimeter.

Last edited by tap2390; 07-16-2018 at 05:48 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #1318
tap2390
Diamond Member

Word is that Khris Middleton is available as the Bucks have failed to reach an extension for him. Does something like:

Wes, Brunson, and Kleber

for

Middleton & Delly

appeal to anyone?

Last edited by tap2390; 07-17-2018 at 08:21 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #1319
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Middleton would be a nice addition. What's his defense look like?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #1320
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Middleton would be a nice addition. What's his defense look like?
Similar to Barnes. Not a lockdown defender but serviceable. He can shoot it tho and has great size. I'd do that trade yesterday, but Mil wouldn't.