Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #1321
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
That's why I said for defensive purposes. With Dirk and Bosh guarding the rim, it's going to be a layup drill.
and with Gortat on the floor we will be playing 4 on 5 offensivly
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #1322
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Chris Paul is a little doughy and will never be in the dunk contest either so I'm not sure that's the best measure of a young PG's potential. If it were Nate Robinson would be starting for someone. Leaping ability is nice but it's not nearly as important as speed and the ability to start and stop on a dime. Both players have that but unlike Beabous nobody questions Lawson's ability to run the point. I like our guy but the jury is still out on who will be the better player.
i understand your point and no one would take Tom Chambers over Larry Bird, Rex Chapman over Chris Mullin,etc. because they jump higher. i'm not saying that.
but i don't think there's a GM in the league who takes Lawson over Roddy right now. Roddy's rawness is part of his appeal. it's possible he's only scratched the surface. he's still learning the english language! whereas Ty is going to make some small and steady tweaks to his game. mostly improving decision making and thru repetition.
Roddy has the wingspan, athleticism, quickness, speed, frame, confidence and shooting touch to be special.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #1323
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Gortat has a decent jumper. if given starters minutes he would develop confidence in it.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #1324
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavs are like that as it is. I didn't know Damps offensive skills were that enough to throw Gortat under the bus.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #1325
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Tyson Chandler is lame
+1. Speaking of a center with absolutely zero offensive ability outside the lob dunk. I'll throw up (no pun intended) if the Mavs trade for Chandler.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 07-04-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #1326
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it would still be 5 on 5, dirk counts as 2 offensive players.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #1327
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I don't think Bosh is a good fit. I said so above. However, he is so much better than either of those players that, yes, it does make him a better fit than either of them. If the talent gap is big enough and your options are limited, you take the best player and don't worry about fit.
Talent gap... it's not that big.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #1328
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is a difference between Damp and Gortat if you wanna just look at it as backup centers. You really don't run set plays for either player. For Gortat, you don't need to because he can easily do damage on the boards and get put-back dunks or tip ins. His most effect set play is obviously the pick and roll. With Damp, you can't run plays for him because of his brick hands. The inability to catch the F'n ball kills any chance for him to get the ball.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #1329
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Paying Haywood 10 mill<<<<<<<<<<<<<Tyson Chandler
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #1330
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Talent gap... it's not that big.
Yes, yes it is. Bosh is an all-star, and one of the better all-stars. Jefferson is an above-average player who happens to be the best player on a freaking terrible team, and Gortat is a benchwarming, unproven guy with some nice physical tools. They're not even in the same stratosphere as Bosh.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #1331
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

What scares me the most about Jefferson is that he has "lead" some incredibly sh*tty teams. He is a double double every night, but so? He rarely wins basketball games. (IMO he has a Zach Randolph/Shareef Abdur Rahim/Antoine Walker in him in that it is all about him instead of trying to win the game.)

Of course, Bosh hasn't just been "carrying" his team that far either. But his track record is a lot better.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #1332
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Well it seems like everyone has set their minds on Bosh. Thing is he's not coming here.

Last edited by LSMF; 07-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #1333
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, yes it is. Bosh is an all-star, and one of the better all-stars. Jefferson is an above-average player who happens to be the best player on a freaking terrible team, and Gortat is a benchwarming, unproven guy with some nice physical tools. They're not even in the same stratosphere as Bosh.

Bosh is one of the better all-stars.. huh? Ok so fans voted for him to play in the all star game. Bosh and Jefferson are comparable, Jefferson had a slightly down year but had a better year before than Bosh, I mean the gap isn't as big as you claim. Besides, how does any of that prove that Bosh would be a better fit here than Jefferson??

We already have a better version of Bosh in Dirk. For shitsngigles, if it come down to the two I might prefer big Al because he brings an element that we are missing, at least offensively. Now defensively neither one will shine and we would need a decent back up but, Bosh would probably be worse defensively because he is a lightweight. Jefferson actually has some size to bang in the paint with.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #1334
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
The Mavs are like that as it is. I didn't know Damps offensive skills were that enough to throw Gortat under the bus.
What does it have to do with Damp? We are looking for a considerable upgrade at C, Gortat could very well turn into Diop at the very best he turns into Haywood who Bosh is much better than
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #1335
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
this
Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #1336
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bosh is one of the better all-stars.. huh? Ok so fans voted for him to play in the all star game. Bosh and Jefferson are comparable, Jefferson had a slightly down year but had a better year before than Bosh, I mean the gap isn't as big as you claim. Besides, how does any of that prove that Bosh would be a better fit here than Jefferson??

We already have a better version of Bosh in Dirk. For shitsngigles, if it come down to the two I might prefer big Al because he brings an element that we are missing, at least offensively. Now defensively neither one will shine and we would need a decent back up but, Bosh would probably be worse defensively because he is a lightweight. Jefferson actually has some size to bang in the paint with.
Um, fans didn't vote Bosh to play in the ASG. He was a reserve. Reserves are selected by the coaches. And yes, he was absolutely one of the better allstars. Do you want me to post the list? Here's just the East team, for your consideration:

Allen Iverson
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard

Joe Johnson
Rajon Rondo
Derrick Rose
Paul Pierce
Gerald Wallace
Chris Bosh
Al Horford
David Lee

How many guys on that list were better than Bosh this year? I'm thinking maybe four, arguably five.

Al Jefferson plays no D whatsoever. I'm wondering how many times you've watched him and Bosh play, respectively, if you think they're all that close in terms of ability. I absolutely agree that Bosh isn't a good fit because Dirk plays the same position, but he is a much better player than Jefferson.

Again, you're talking about an allstar and Olympic gold medalist versus an above-average big man who is the best player on a crappy team.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #1337
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Um, fans didn't vote Bosh to play in the ASG. He was a reserve. Reserves are selected by the coaches. And yes, he was absolutely one of the better allstars. Do you want me to post the list? Here's just the East team, for your consideration:

Allen Iverson
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard

Joe Johnson
Rajon Rondo
Derrick Rose
Paul Pierce
Gerald Wallace
Chris Bosh
Al Horford
David Lee

How many guys on that list were better than Bosh this year? I'm thinking maybe four, arguably five.

Al Jefferson plays no D whatsoever. I'm wondering how many times you've watched him and Bosh play, respectively, if you think they're all that close in terms of ability. I absolutely agree that Bosh isn't a good fit because Dirk plays the same position, but he is a much better player than Jefferson.

Again, you're talking about an allstar and Olympic gold medalist versus an above-average big man who is the best player on a crappy team.
You are wasting your time with who is better and by how much. Still doesn't prove that Bosh is a better fit here than Jefferson.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #1338
mavs777
Diamond Member

Simple stats:
When Gortat was on the floor Orlando was -7.8 points per 100 possessions worse than they were when he was off it (this includes offense and defense)
When Bosh was on the floor Toronto was 6 points per 100 possessions better than when he was off the floor (includes both offense and defense, in fact Toronto was actually better defensively when he was on the floor)
When AL Jefferson was on the floor Minnessotta was 2.4 points per 100 possessions worse than if he was off it. While Jefferson isn't near Bosh I would say this is a bit misleading as him and Love didn't work well together
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #1339
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
You are wasting your time with who is better and by how much. Still doesn't prove that Bosh is a better fit here than Jefferson.
both of there best positions are PF your point?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #1340
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Chris Bosh is a 4... Al Jefferson is a 4... Dirk Nowitzki is a 4...

We need a 5...

$10mil/year is too much for Haywood, $6mil/year is perfect...

Dirk just saved the team $4mil/year...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #1341
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i'd rather have shaq than either of them, at least he's a center
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #1342
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Chris Bosh is a 4... Al Jefferson is a 4... Dirk Nowitzki is a 4...

We need a 5...

$10mil/year is too much for Haywood, $6mil/year is perfect...

Dirk just saved the team $4mil/year...
Wait a second...you lost me
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #1343
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Al Jefferson plays no D whatsoever. I'm wondering how many times you've watched him and Bosh play, respectively, if you think they're all that close in terms of ability.
Honestly, I wonder how many people on this forum have watched Jefferson OR Both with any regularity.

Neither are ideal alongside Dirk...but Bosh isn't an option...or won't be soon...and Jefferson may be.

Unless they pull a trade that we thrown on the wall yet, a LIKE Jefferson is going to what is available to the Mavs...and Cuban IS going to do something. The same team is not coming back.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #1344
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
What scares me the most about Jefferson is that he has "lead" some incredibly sh*tty teams. He is a double double every night, but so? He rarely wins basketball games. (IMO he has a Zach Randolph/Shareef Abdur Rahim/Antoine Walker in him in that it is all about him instead of trying to win the game.)

Of course, Bosh hasn't just been "carrying" his team that far either. But his track record is a lot better.
Bosh has had significantly better supporting casts...plus the Pups are a ridiculous mess.

I think Both is a better player, but to judge Jefferson by the mess that is the TPups isn't fair.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #1345
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
both of there best positions are PF your point?
If your going to be involved, is it too hard to go back and catch up real quick?

I would obviously rather have a legit center as well

Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #1346
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Honestly, I wonder how many people on this forum have watched Jefferson OR Both with any regularity.

Neither are ideal alongside Dirk...but Bosh isn't an option...or won't be soon...and Jefferson may be.

Unless they pull a trade that we thrown on the wall yet, a LIKE Jefferson is going to what is available to the Mavs...and Cuban IS going to do something. The same team is not coming back.
I have watched both play numerous times. I wouldn't be proud of what Al would bring defensively, the only thing he may have a leg up on Bosh is the extra weight for holding his own in the paint vs other low post threats. I never said he was a good defender.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #1347
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Bosh - not the best fit, but it's a no-brainer if you can get him... Work out the defensive deficiencies that pairing him with Dirk would present later...

Jefferson - if you can add him to last year's team without losing anything, you just got a lot better (but personally, I'd find more creative ways to spend my money...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-04-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #1348
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Bosh isn't coming here.

But I like that the Mavericks are trying to get him. Look, I get that he's an average defender at best, but if we're moving forwards three steps offensively and moving back one step defensively...doesn't that give us a positive net gain?

Bosh is a very, very good offensive player. He shoots jumpers, but half of his shots come at the basket. To call him "just a bad jump shooter" is garbage. He's not just a jump shooter, and when he does shoot them, he shoots them at about a 44% clip. Dirk, from that same 10-23 foot area, shoots 45%.

So what do we have? A player who scored 24 ppg last year in a multitude of different ways, who is extremely efficient (52% FG), who can get to the line (8.4 a game) and shoots them well from there (about 80%), and we have people bitching about the hypothetical thought of him coming here.

I'm not going to say he's a perfect fit. Clearly, Bosh is not a perfect all around player. But he's a good one. Very good. How many "very good" players do we honestly expect to have a shot at this free agency. If James or Wade or Johnson or whoever was on their knees begging to come here, then this would be totally different. They aren't, and so if we got Bosh, he might not fit as well as hoped, but with his talent, he would improve the team. And that's what the point is, isn't it? Improving the team. If we're so scared of bringing in players at positions we already have starters at, then why the Chris Paul talk? Oh, right, because he improves the team. The net gain he brings to the team overall trumps the discomfort of trying to find minutes for two good players.

Its the same with Bosh. He's too good not to improve the team even if he plays center, and that's the entire point.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #1349
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Bosh isn't coming here.

But I like that the Mavericks are trying to get him. Look, I get that he's an average defender at best, but if we're moving forwards three steps offensively and moving back one step defensively...doesn't that give us a positive net gain?

Bosh is a very, very good offensive player. He shoots jumpers, but half of his shots come at the basket. To call him "just a bad jump shooter" is garbage. He's not just a jump shooter, and when he does shoot them, he shoots them at about a 44% clip. Dirk, from that same 10-23 foot area, shoots 45%.

So what do we have? A player who scored 24 ppg last year in a multitude of different ways, who is extremely efficient (52% FG), who can get to the line (8.4 a game) and shoots them well from there (about 80%), and we have people bitching about the hypothetical thought of him coming here.

I'm not going to say he's a perfect fit. Clearly, Bosh is not a perfect all around player. But he's a good one. Very good. How many "very good" players do we honestly expect to have a shot at this free agency. If James or Wade or Johnson or whoever was on their knees begging to come here, then this would be totally different. They aren't, and so if we got Bosh, he might not fit as well as hoped, but with his talent, he would improve the team. And that's what the point is, isn't it? Improving the team. If we're so scared of bringing in players at positions we already have starters at, then why the Chris Paul talk? Oh, right, because he improves the team. The net gain he brings to the team overall trumps the discomfort of trying to find minutes for two good players.

Its the same with Bosh. He's too good not to improve the team even if he plays center, and that's the entire point.
this X1000

Plus rep
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #1350
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Who cares if they all play the same position, if you have talent you win. Look at how Team U.S.A was stuffed with superstars, they didn't even have a 7 footer on the team and they still swept everybody and went home with gold. Besides there aren't many legit centers today in the Nba with post skills. Playing Bosh or Nowitzki at center is not a problem because they will even out the defense pressure with their offense.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #1351
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

So, which is the better value? Bosh at the expense of all of our chips (DUST, Roddy, Butler, etc.) or Jefferson at the expense of DUST + picks, cash

The Jefferson deal would create a roster that looks something like this:

Haywood / Jefferson / Shaq ?
Dirk / Jefferson
Marion / Najera
Butler / Terry
Kidd / Roddy / Barea

Not bad. You get a lot of versatility and depth in the front court. You also have a lot more penetration with Roddy's expected improved mpg's. I swill wouldn't mind looking to trade Butler for a natural 2 but this a pretty solid roster.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 07-04-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #1352
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Bosh vs. Jefferson comes down to two things in my mind:

1) Bosh's ts% over the last three years was over 58%; Jefferson's at about 53% over that span. The primary reason for the difference is ftas: Bosh gets to the line much more often than Jefferson; a useful skill in the playoffs, and a fact that flies in the face of those who pine for Al while criticizing Bosh's aggressiveness.

2) Jefferson's ability to score the basketball drops off pretty quickly once you get more than 10 feet from the basket, whereas Bosh can be used as a weapon, and has to be guarded, 18-20 feet out, yet still takes nearly 40% of his fgas 'inside' (per 82games).

A lot of people go for post scoring. I prefer versatile, efficient scoring and an ability to draw fouls.

That said, those who respond by saying Bosh isn't coming to Dallas are almost certainly correct, and the chances of Jefferson landing here are only slightly higher, so this discussion is probably nothing more than academic.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #1353
LonghornDub

Quote:
But I'm not wasting my time, because which player is better is relevant when neither of them are a good fit. They play the same position--neither of them are really what we need. But if those were the only two options (and this is all hypothetical of course, because we're not getting either most likely), you've absolutely got to take the better player.

If it were a situation where a worse overall player was a much better fit, I'd be on board with that. But I think it's a big mistake to assume that Jefferson is a better fit because he scores in the low post a bit more. He's much less efficient than Bosh.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #1354
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
So, which is the better value? Bosh at the expense of all of our chips (DUST, Roddy, Butler, etc.) or Jefferson at the expense of DUST + picks, cash
I'm willing to bet that Bosh is cheaper, or at least no more expensive than Jefferson. Minny's under minimal pressure to move Al. Toronto's likely to be faced with a choice between losing Bosh for nothing or trading him for a poor return within the week.

And for the record I'd be opposed to trading Booby for either.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #1355
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

All this speculation is great, but Chris Bosh still does not fancy playing for Dallas and at the end of the Free agency courting, will sign with his butt buddy DWADE, or Lebron. or maybe both. The guy hates the idea of playing in his hometown. It was that way before and hasn't changed.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #1356
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
All this speculation is great, but Chris Bosh still does not fancy playing for Dallas and at the end of the Free agency courting, will sign with his butt buddy DWADE, or Lebron. or maybe both. The guy hates the idea of playing in his hometown. It was that way before and hasn't changed.
No way dude. Silk Smoov assured me otherwise. Joe Johnson really wants to come here too, because Little Rock is basically in Dallas's backyard.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #1357
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post

The Jefferson deal would create a roster that looks something like this:

Haywood / Jefferson / Shaq ?
Dirk / Jefferson
Marion / Najera
Butler / Terry
Kidd / Roddy / Barea

Not bad. You get a lot of versatility and depth in the front court. You also have a lot more penetration with Roddy's expected improved mpg's. I swill wouldn't mind looking to trade Butler for a natural 2 but this a pretty solid roster.
this might get us into a situation where Dirk has to come off the bench to keep the two sensitive centers happy. anyone that thinks Haywood or Jefferson will be happy of the bench is crazy.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #1358
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
No way dude. Silk Smoov assured me otherwise. Joe Johnson really wants to come here too, because Little Rock is basically in Dallas's backyard.

haha, that would be one hell of a move for the FO. The more I think about it though Al jefferson at the 5 would be the most fundamental 5 offensively we've had. take a look see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcT7JTmPPrk

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1359
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm willing to bet that Bosh is cheaper, or at least no more expensive than Jefferson. Minny's under minimal pressure to move Al. Toronto's likely to be faced with a choice between losing Bosh for nothing or trading him for a poor return within the week.

And for the record I'd be opposed to trading Booby for either.
Mavs wouldn't let Roddy go for Jefferson...I could see it for Both though.

I HATE that Bosh doesn't want to play in Dallas...almost as if on principle. WHAT THE HECK??!!

Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #1360
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Mavs wouldn't let Roddy go for Jefferson...I could see it for Both though.

I HATE that Bosh doesn't want to play in Dallas...almost as if on principle. WHAT THE HECK??!!
he comes off as a dick, honestly. i've never seen him interviewed or whatever and thought, "Man, i wish he was on the Mavs."

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...